Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #76
sunlover13
No Chef boyardee here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhoe View Post
What is a gold party and how do I get invited to one?

I'm thinking my local jeweler was trying to give me a very lousy deal.
I'd like to know this too. Does anyone have any info on how to find gold parties or how to go about organizing one?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #77
isyt
DIS Veteran

Did anyone turn in old gold watches? I have a few of those. I am calling jewelers now to see where I can go!!!
isyt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #78
rockin_rep
DIS Veteran
Spending time at DL in the middle of the trip is just the icing on the cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousekaMaddi View Post
I went in to my fav jeweler yest. and he offered me $90, I was dissappointed so I didnt part with my junk jewelry, then today I went to another jeweler, one I rarely visit and she offered 160.00 for the same junk, I took that deal! amazing isnt i?
Wow, good call! How did you know? I'd love to try my luck too, but really don't get how the prices are determined and like you, wouldn't want to be short changed. Anyone have any ideas?

~ Measure wealth not by what you have, but by what you have for which you wouldn't take money.
~ You can make more money; you can't make more time.
rockin_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #79
preb
DIS Veteran

Gold Parties are "the thing" here in Michigan right now. It's like a Tupperware or Candle party, but instead of buying things you're selling your gold. The hostess has an open house (the one I went to was 5:30 - 8:30 pm) and you just stop by their house with your gold. There were three people from a company called Goldswap there testing and weighing and handing out the cash. The hostess had snacks, desserts, soft drinks and wine to enjoy while you were waiting your turn.

Here's the part that will really blow your mind...the hostess received 10 percent of the total sales for the night for having the party. My girlfriend made $1100 as the hostess!

HIFS 3/01
HIFS 11/01
Vistana Villages 9/02
Dolphins Cove/Disneyland Hotel 2/03
Disney Magic-Eastern 9/03
Disney Wonder 4 day and BCV 11/04
Universal RPR and PBH plus Daytona 500 2/05
Girls Only Trip POP 11/05
Nick Suites and Hard Rock Universal 1/07
Universal Hard Rock/Marriott Cypress Harbour 11/08
Girls Only Trip POP 5/10
Contemporary/Disney Dream 1/11
Universal Hard Rock Spring Break 2014
preb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #80
isyt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by preb View Post
Gold Parties are "the thing" here in Michigan right now. It's like a Tupperware or Candle party, but instead of buying things you're selling your gold. The hostess has an open house (the one I went to was 5:30 - 8:30 pm) and you just stop by their house with your gold. There were three people from a company called Goldswap there testing and weighing and handing out the cash. The hostess had snacks, desserts, soft drinks and wine to enjoy while you were waiting your turn.

Here's the part that will really blow your mind...the hostess received 10 percent of the total sales for the night for having the party. My girlfriend made $1100 as the hostess!

I have been looking all over for something in NJ this is awesome!!! I can't find anything online. Did this company have a website???
isyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #81
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

So far here's what I've been offered for 18.5 grams of 14K gold in small thin chains, one thicker heavier rope chain & a couple thin bracelets. I'm not taking either yet.

1. small local jeweler weighed & offered $6/gram for $111
2. craigslist local guy (based on info I provided in email) about $100

I wish more people would get their weight & price per gram for comparing. I still think I'm being screwed based on the math in that article from earlier in this thread.

ETA: Meant to include that based on math in the article, and based on their figure of $958 / ounce for 24k gold at the time, my 18.5 grams of 14K gold should be about $180. Even higher with todays prices.

Last edited by gardenhoe; 03-07-2008 at 12:27 PM.
gardenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #82
BelleBeautyandtheBeast
Disney Dreamer
Tags as old as time
You will be tagged, as sure as the sun will rise!

According to an article I just read businesses have been paying between $9 and $10 a gram for 14-karat gold.
http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...802280303/1030

I've enjoyed following this thread. I have a few things I would love to sell too.
7/82 MK * 4/00 MK * 1/7-10/01 ASMo * 3/29-4/1/01 POR * 7/20-25/04 PC * 1/12-15/07 PC * 10/11-16/09 PC * 10/2-5/10 Offsite * 8/13-21/11 ASMu * 3/24-31/13 Offsite * 5/5-10/13 Offsite * 3/4-7/14 ASSp * 6/10-6/16/14 Disneyland * 8/22-25/14 PC * 3/22-29/15 RCCL Freedom of the Seas * 3/29-30/15 USO
BelleBeautyandtheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #83
roadtripper
DIS Veteran

Just talked to my friend who's a jeweler, and has been buying back gold for years--he is checking into the legality of doing a house party in MA. If it's not legal, we will plan to do one in his store after hours. Has anyone done or been to the house party in MA? Do you all think I should ask him for a percentage if I bring people to his shop for a party? Advice please! TIA!

roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #84
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
Just talked to my friend who's a jeweler, and has been buying back gold for years--he is checking into the legality of doing a house party in MA. If it's not legal, we will plan to do one in his store after hours. Has anyone done or been to the house party in MA? Do you all think I should ask him for a percentage if I bring people to his shop for a party? Advice please! TIA!
I'm in MA. I might be interested depending on the distance. I sent you a PM.

Yesterdays newspaper had big story about gold but I didn't get any more leads on where to sell from it. I just scoured 2 phone books & only see 1 jeweler & many pawnbrokers who advertise buying gold.

Based on info I'm finding here, I think this area just lacks anyone buying gold to resell to refineries. I just checked out the cash4gold.com website. Their prices seem MUCH more in line with what articles state I should expect to receive. I guess the few middlemen around here must be taking a large payment for themselves.

While I hate the thought of doing this online, I might check it out further with reviews to see if people have had any problems. At least I already know what my gold weighs.
gardenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #85
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Hmm. I stopped in a shop at the mall today to ask if they buy gold. They are technically a jewelry REPAIR place but he had a sign that said they "remelt" gold. None of the jewelry retailers had signs up about buying gold so I didn't even ask. He said $5 per gram, which sounded REALLY low to me. I just said I had some pieces at home and I would have to come back.

I had the pieces in my purse, but not for $5 per gram!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #86
PTL
Earning My Ears

Sold scrap today

First I called a Jeweler who goes to my church, he said to come in and he would look at what I had. Spent 2hrs scrounging up old gold.
I got to store and he said he would give me $100 for my highschool ring, 1 hollow rope chain, 2 cross pendants, 2 charms, 1 broken necklace, 1 bracelet and small but heavy rope chain. I also had a gold pendant from my dad's grandmother. I said it seems I have misunderstood the value of gold these days and left.

Drove to pawn shop, got a little smarter and left all my good stuff in car. I only
showed them 2 broken necklaces, 3 charms and 1 bracelet, also a ring i had bought at a yard sale for .25! I walked out with $100 and brought all my other stuff home!!!!

PTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #87
preb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know that one of the rules here was that you could only invite people that you personally know and that you could not put the address of the party on the invitations. They paid out over $12,000 that night in cash, so I'm pretty confident that one of the three people from Goldswap was probably packing heat!

HIFS 3/01
HIFS 11/01
Vistana Villages 9/02
Girls Only Trip POP 5/10
Old 03-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #88
preb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Woops! I hit submit before I finished answering!

The going rate here is 10% for the party host. Since that could really add up quickly, I'd make sure to have a nice spread for your guests! Will he let you serve "drinks" at his shop? If not, maybe 5% would be more inline. Have your people RSVP so you know what to expect. We had 23 people on Wednesday.

HIFS 3/01
HIFS 11/01
Vistana Villages 9/02
Girls Only Trip POP 5/10
Old 03-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #89
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

I would love to do one of those gold parties here in PA. If anyone figures out how to organize one, let me know!! (although the idea of some dude with $12,000 in cash and a gun in my home is a teeny bit frightening to me!! )
Old 03-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #90
AllesonWonderland
DIS Veteran

I got all excited reading this thread and took my stuff to a local jeweler. Turns out the only 'real' gold I have is what I'm wearing. LOL Ah well, back into the jewelry box it all goes.
March 2007 Spring Break at Windsor Hills. Our first trip to WDW!!
AllesonWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: