Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #46
dlz
Mouseketeer

Okay, I just can't resist going through my jewelry box. As a matter of fact, I have so much old stuff in there that I don't even use the box anymore. I am a very detail, get the most out of your money, kind of girl. Guess it's being a single mom for 10 years that did that to me, but anyway, this is what I did. First, I went online to investigate everything from the process of cashing in gold to them melting it down at the refinery. I then did a google search in my area of places that buy gold directly and listed them. I called each of them to inquire about their process and see how professional they were, I asked lots of questions about pawn shops vs jewelry stores. I asked him to be "honest" with me and advise if I should go to a pawn shop or jewelry store. He said that pawn shops are for people who don't know better, and that almost all jewerly stores will pay the same according to the cost of gold that given day, the quality of your gold and the weight. And it is way more than a pawn shop. It is a mere calculation and he said everyone should be well within reason. It took about an hour of my time and calling with silly questions, but this is what you do and how you do it. Also, tell them you have a list and that you are willing to shop around. From all my calls, it sounds like gold is worth a fortune right now so don't faint when they offer you the money, be prepared and then decide if you think they are offering you a good deal or not. Also, the online gold places look good I guess, and one of them lets you decide if you want to still sell after they offer you the money. Good option if you're not able to shop around and ask stupid questions. Remember, your old boyfriend cut a lot of lawns to get you that charm necklace! Not to mention, husbands for me. Now I wish I wouldn't have thrown my ring at my husband and his girlfriend and would have kept it for me. By the way, they traded in my ring for a ring for her. Hope she sleeps well at night, well not really.
dlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #47
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
DIS Veteran

I just ordered the free kit from goldkit.com...we will see how this turns out!
June 2009~2 week WDW-Cocoa beach extravaganza!/Windsor Hills
October 2010~Our 1st WDW MNSSHP/Windsor Hills
June 2012~ 2 week WDW(YES program)-Universal-Seaworld-Cocoa beach/Windsor Hills
June/July 2014~last minute 20th anniversary trip!!!
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #48
bellebuzzandpooh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin_rep View Post
Is all gold labeled as such? In other words, if its real, will it say 10K or 18K or whatever it is?

I have lots of pieces i thought were at least 10K, but some don't have it inscribed.

Anyone know?
Yes, legally it should be stamped.

Ebay id - pamperingbeki
bellebuzzandpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #49
Iluvthemouse
DIS Veteran

I just sold mine. I went through all my 80's gold and took it up today. First I went to a local jewelry store (individually owned) and they wanted to give me $300. I then went to a big pawn shop here in town and he gave me $500. I was figuring between $500-550 just by my calculations so I did good.

He did say gold was down $8 today (of course when I decide to sell--tomorrow it will probably double )
Iluvthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #50
lisaross
DIS Veteran

funny, i heard gold was up .02 from yesterday......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvthemouse View Post
I just sold mine. I went through all my 80's gold and took it up today. First I went to a local jewelry store (individually owned) and they wanted to give me $300. I then went to a big pawn shop here in town and he gave me $500. I was figuring between $500-550 just by my calculations so I did good.

He did say gold was down $8 today (of course when I decide to sell--tomorrow it will probably double )

2006 - First Family Trip to Disney
2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING

Our cast is me : my husband and the kids :and
lisaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #51
nana2tots
2Wild4Disney!Nana's 3 Gurls! our License Tags read, DISNEYKD & disnykd2!!!!!!!
Make no mistake, the Tag Fairies do exist. If you have any doubt, ask Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny!

Lisaross

What kind of jewerly did u sell?????

][/url]
nana2tots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #52
lisaross
DIS Veteran

Just 14k gold stuff - necklaces, bracelets, rings, earings and such

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana2tots View Post
What kind of jewerly did u sell?????

2006 - First Family Trip to Disney
2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING

Our cast is me : my husband and the kids :and
lisaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #53
SandrainNC
DIS Veteran

I am going to have to do this too. I just looked up jewelers in our yellow pages and a few of the ads say they buy gold. Thanks for the information!

Sandra

SandrainNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #54
iluv2go2disney
Please Oh Please! Can't we live at Walt Disney World

I just want to say Thank You to everyone for alll this info. I took some things into a smakk jewelry shop today. I didn't have alot: a few rings, 2 charms, a bracelet and a thin necklace. I got 225.00. I was thrilled. My DH thought I was nuts until he found out what I got.
iluv2go2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #55
Iluvthemouse
DIS Veteran

I had a few broken chains, real thin cheapy ones, a couple of rings, broken bracelet, 2 necklaces-thin, a couple of rings and earrings. I think 1 person said the weight was 28 grams. I could be wrong though.
Iluvthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #56
Cinerbelle
Mouseketeer

Okay, you all have got me wondering how much $$$ I can make. I found a place in the Yellow Pages and I am heading over there after work. I will let you know what I get!!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #57
delmar411
DIS Veteran

OMG!!!! DH and I had barely anything gold, I prefer silver but we figured even a couple hundred for things we've both had forever and never wear would be very cool. So DH called a guy from craigslist, the guy met DH within the hour and DH just came home with......$890!!!!!

and DH still had most of the items too since some were gold plated and some gold filled.
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #58
Trip2Disney
Mouseketeer

I'm not much of a jewelry wearer, so most of the pieces I have were gifts that are still in the boxes! I have 2 bracelets and a necklace that, according to their boxes, are "18K gold over sterling silver". Do you think they would buy those?

Meet the "gang":
DH ME DD(12) DD(10) DD(9) DD(1)
Trip2Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #59
daninalismama
I really need a new ticker!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
OMG!!!! DH and I had barely anything gold, I prefer silver but we figured even a couple hundred for things we've both had forever and never wear would be very cool. So DH called a guy from craigslist, the guy met DH within the hour and DH just came home with......$890!!!!!

and DH still had most of the items too since some were gold plated and some gold filled.
Holy! I'm in Indy too - would you be so kind as to PM me the name/contact info of the guy you used? TIA!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #60
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninalismama View Post
Holy! I'm in Indy too - would you be so kind as to PM me the name/contact info of the guy you used? TIA!!!
Sure! Check your PM's (in like 30secs. LOL)
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: