Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 AM   #91
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

A little off topic

Thanks everyone for the nice comments about my little lad Liam!

We are such first time parents it's not funny. DS was having a hard time sleeping a few nights ago for several nights in a row. Well I decided that he must be afraid of the dark now and that's why he couldn't get back to sleep without me. Well...yesterday I was feeling his gums for signs of new teeth and low and behold...a new tooth had already broken thru. Way thru. He's slept thru the night for the last 2 nights.

I need suggestions from the children party planners out there. I'm really big on theme parties. If I throw a birthday party it has a theme. My 30th was Mardi Gras...DH's was hawaiian...my dad's 70th was a fall theme...years ago my mother's 50th was a wake (don't judge, it was funny...black arm bands in all) Well DS's 1st birthday is May 10 and we're having a party. Close friends and family...20 or so adults, 10 kids. And I can't decide on a theme.

I have wanted to do a circus theme but I'm having a hard time finding decordations for it. (We only have 1 party store near us and it's a discount place) And I can't really find much online. I wanted to make a circus tent cake. Then I saw the stuff for Clubhouse Mickey that I really like...really bold colors and the cutest mickey ear head bands for the kids to wear. But part of me thinks that doing a character party is cliche (sp?). And that I'll probably have to do them for years when the kid(s) are old enough to pick themselves. And I feel like everyone will expect me to do a Mickey theme party. (Many were surprised when I didn't do the nursey in Disney)

Any suggestions you have would be very helpful. (Please post lurkers!)

I wish gas prices weren't so high (and I have a SUV) or I'd drive south a bit and just shop around in a bigger town.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #92
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!

Don't have too much experience with parties with themes, but if you do end up with the circus theme, try not to have anything thats an actual "clown".

In high school yearbook class, every year we did secret Santa. Every year we did gag day and got something for our person that they had put on their dislikes list. I got a clown party decoration for my person because she disliked clowns. Little did I know that she'd freak out, run out of the room crying, and it would take us a week to convince her the clown was no longer in the room.

I know many people, especially kids, who have a phobia of clowns.

Just a heads up.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #93
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

I understand about not wanting to do the character thing. I didn't the first year either. Actually, most of the years I haven't (we've done pirates, dinosaurs and army). For Sully's first birthday I did a farm theme. There's usually lots of stuff out there for that (I got my stuff through birthday express I think - or the local party store - too far back to remember).

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 03-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #94
MRYPPNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
Don't have too much experience with parties with themes, but if you do end up with the circus theme, try not to have anything thats an actual "clown".

In high school yearbook class, every year we did secret Santa. Every year we did gag day and got something for our person that they had put on their dislikes list. I got a clown party decoration for my person because she disliked clowns. Little did I know that she'd freak out, run out of the room crying, and it would take us a week to convince her the clown was no longer in the room.

I know many people, especially kids, who have a phobia of clowns.

Just a heads up.
I was going to do more animal stuff. And I'm not hiring a clown. My money is better spent on Disney

Rumor has it that free dinning is going to be announced on April 10th...I know you are waiting on that to help with your planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
I understand about not wanting to do the character thing. I didn't the first year either. Actually, most of the years I haven't (we've done pirates, dinosaurs and army). For Sully's first birthday I did a farm theme. There's usually lots of stuff out there for that (I got my stuff through birthday express I think - or the local party store - too far back to remember).
I checked out birthday express, thanks. I got another idea from it. How 'bout a jungle theme? What could I do for a cake? I could get the kids pith helmets to wear...that would be funny.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #95
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
I checked out birthday express, thanks. I got another idea from it. How 'bout a jungle theme? What could I do for a cake? I could get the kids pith helmets to wear...that would be funny.
This is one I found at Family Fun Magazine:

Jungle Cake

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #96
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

I'm crossing my fingers. I've got to update my pre-trip some point tonight because we're now officially moving to VIRGINIA!!!! And we'll def be able to afford Dis. Least I'm pretty sure.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #97
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

I'm a bad mommy. I didn't do big partys for my kids 1st or 2nd or 10th. I'm really no help.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #98
MRYPPNS

I found this for a jungle theme but it's way out of my league...

But I could probably do these

Old 03-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #99
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Cute ideas! I love the jungle idea! Also, did you check out what Oriental Trading Company has in the way of jungle stuff? They usually have cute and inexpensive party items.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #100
MRYPPNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
This is one I found at Family Fun Magazine:

Jungle Cake
Thanks for the post...it gave me the idea to check out the Wilton site. OMG ...they have a discussion forum with tons of ideas and examples...it's like the DIS of cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
I'm crossing my fingers. I've got to update my pre-trip some point tonight because we're now officially moving to VIRGINIA!!!! And we'll def be able to afford Dis. Least I'm pretty sure.
Looking forward to that story

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
I'm a bad mommy. I didn't do big partys for my kids 1st or 2nd or 10th. I'm really no help.
Do you think a Flat Winkers theme party would scar the kids? for life or just a little bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Cute ideas! I love the jungle idea! Also, did you check out what Oriental Trading Company has in the way of jungle stuff? They usually have cute and inexpensive party items.
I had started there when I had the circus theme idea...when they didn't have anything I liked I pretty much knew I was going to have a hard time with that theme. I've used OTC for years for parties...personal and business. I used to plan all the employee parties at the ski area that I worked for.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #101
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

How about a keg party? I'll get Heather on the horn and see what we can dream up.......if only Heather were still around..

Western theme party

Cops n Robbers

Space party........

I had to dig deep for those....jello brain here....
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #102
MRYPPNS

A kegger? I'll dress little Liam in a toga for it. Boones Farm for party favors for the little guests. Nice.

I think Heather is gone for good...just when we were getting our groove on.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #103
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

I can just see the parents getting pulled over on the way home. Little kids in the back seat completely smashed. Mom says "But officer, it was Jordan's fault"
Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #104
MRYPPNS

I think I'll save the toga party for DS's 21st....

I'm going try to go with the jungle theme. I'll check out Michael's this weekend for the Wilton supplies.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #105
MRYPPNS

On to the fun stuff…

Our Itinerary as it stands now. Park hours and EMH have not been released yet so there is a good chance this will change but hopefully not too much because I really like how the week is scheduled now.

Sunday October 26 2008
Fly out in early am
Pick up rental car
Get groceries
Check In to resort
Relax at resort
Go to Boardwalk area for the evening

Monday 10/27
No parks
Relax at resort
Shopping at Disney outlet store in Orlando

Tuesday 10/28
Disney’s Hollywood Studios (DS)

Wednesday 10/29

Magic Kingdom

Thursday 10/30
No parks
Downtown Disney to shop

Friday 10/31 Halloween
Animal Kingdom
Trick or Tricking in DTD if offered

Saturday 11/1
Magic Kingdom

Sunday 11/2

No parks
Relax at resort
Need ideas of something to do today

Monday 11/3
Epcot

Tuesday 11/4
Depart for Airport (morning)

We will take a mid-day break for all our park days except for AK. We’ll go for as long as we can without a break because AK probably will close at 5pm.

These are the dates that we could go to MNSSHP if we decide to. I won’t make that decision until park hours/EMH are released and I know how much we are paying for the hotel. I don’t want to go on Halloween night.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something to do on Sunday 11/2 ???
…Cheap would be the key. I thought of the petting farm at FW campground…anyone done that before? Or I thought of renting a boat. DH and I did that in 2005 on Bay Lake and that was fun and relaxing but not really cheap.

Suggestions are welcome…especially if you have TGM…this itinerary is based on UG/touring plans

I’ll add my dinning plans in a future update.

My read of the week is a travel blog by Michael Waring –husband of Mary from mousesavers.com; find it at www.foolishquestions.com

Last edited by MRYPPNS; 03-20-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: