Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #136
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I know nothing about TGM so I am eagerly reading everyone's responses. If you guys decide you like it, I may have to join, too. I don't want to be left out or anything .
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #137
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittBritt View Post
I also have been wading my way through TGM. From what I've gathered, he doesn't personalize an itinerary for you, he just gives you the info to create your own. There's just so many articles to get through! I'm honestly not sure whether TGM was worth the cost. I'm with you; maybe there's something I'm missing.
I figured it was worth the cost just for something else to read and for the best days stuff. Over the weekend I spent $20 on a computer game that I've already stopped playing so I used FDM to come up with that it was ok to spend another $20 on TGM that I would look at longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Hi Heidi,

Wow... I'm behind on my TR's, but I'm really behind on my PTR's....I didn't even realize you were writing one!

I think the "Best Park" section is the most valuable bit of info on TGM...I swear by it...we've used it faithfully the past two trips and he did not steer us wrong.

Kathy
Hi Kathy ...nice to see that you are taking a little time for yourself to do some DISin'. I agree about the "Best Park" section...I'm just waiting for Oct & Nov to be published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
I am trying to figure out the same thing! I haven't been able to figure out how to make my day by day itinerary or what exactly is personalized. Maybe I'm missing something
I really don't think anything is personalized. I think the questionaire at the beginning is just to narrow down the list of articles that TGM sets up for you to read. I think the meat of the good information for our trips is in the monthly sections...but it seems like you have to drill down into links to get to it.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...I'd hate to be giving out bad info just because I'm new to the TGM site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I know nothing about TGM so I am eagerly reading everyone's responses. If you guys decide you like it, I may have to join, too. I don't want to be left out or anything .
So far I feel it was worth the $$...but like Kathy said the Best Park day information is where the real value is.

The only 2 things so far it wish I hadn't spend money on was (1) getting the Passporter in DELUXE...I don't like the pockets...won't use them because I have my own system that I like better (more on that in a future update). I still like the UG the best for information but the Passporter is much easier to use for quick reference ... and all the pictures of the authors and their family gets old quick. And (2) I really didn't need to buy the Passporter Open Mouse...it has a lot of great info in it but the charts and maps are not in color like in the regular Passporter and it's really hard for me to follow along with all the codes they put in there for the different "issues". I could never remember what codes were mine.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #138
BrittBritt
Mouseketeer

On the topic of TGM, I said on my PTR that I think the way he sneaks your name into the articles is CREEPY.
EX: "It's important to get to the park for rope drop. You don't want to be stuck in a running, sweaty herd o' people, now do you BRITTBRITT?"
For some reason, I'm annoyed by him addressing me by name. Weird?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #139
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
I really don't think anything is personalized. I think the questionaire at the beginning is just to narrow down the list of articles that TGM sets up for you to read. I think the meat of the good information for our trips is in the monthly sections...but it seems like you have to drill down into links to get to it.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...I'd hate to be giving out bad info just because I'm new to the TGM site.
I agree. I hope someone can clarify the whole TGM site. I don't want to be negative either about a website that I may not be using properly. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. If I don't figure this out soon, I'm going to end up cheating on Mike with the Unofficial Guide.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #140
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

I definitely agree that the best park portion is the value in TGM. I also use it to read about where the best spots are for watching pardes, etc. I read up on MNSSHP tips before we went in October and that was helpful. I'm sure there are MANY other parts that I'm not taking full advantage of. The site is very overwhelming, but what I've used has always been helpful.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #141
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Ok I can't post now, cause Margaret is screaming to get out of her crib and I proably should make dinner....but I'll come back and give MHO on TGM and why I like it for a 1st time user.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #142
MRYPPNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittBritt View Post
On the topic of TGM, I said on my PTR that I think the way he sneaks your name into the articles is CREEPY.
EX: "It's important to get to the park for rope drop. You don't want to be stuck in a running, sweaty herd o' people, now do you BRITTBRITT?"
For some reason, I'm annoyed by him addressing me by name. Weird?
It'a like one of those books that you could get as a kid...they put you name into the story so it was "personalized". The TGM articles would probably load faster too if it didn't do that.

Quote:
I agree. I hope someone can clarify the whole TGM site. I don't want to be negative either about a website that I may not be using properly. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. If I don't figure this out soon, I'm going to end up cheating on Mike with the Unofficial Guide.
Are looking at the AUGUST 2008 Express Planner and the 4 Important August 2008 Links? I think that were your tips and stuff would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I definitely agree that the best park portion is the value in TGM. I also use it to read about where the best spots are for watching pardes, etc. I read up on MNSSHP tips before we went in October and that was helpful. I'm sure there are MANY other parts that I'm not taking full advantage of. The site is very overwhelming, but what I've used has always been helpful.
I read up on MNSSHP too and it made me want to go to it. I still haven't decided yet...need to have a serious chat with DH on that one because he made the comment the other night about how we would be there at Halloween time and how could we not go to it? But that doesn't mean he wants to go to it....he's a very confusing man.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post
Ok I can't post now, cause Margaret is screaming to get out of her crib and I proably should make dinner....but I'll come back and give MHO on TGM and why I like it for a 1st time user.
Oh I know the screaming kid thing well...DS has no words yet so he just yells when he wants me.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #143
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I read up on MNSSHP too and it made me want to go to it.
It is super fun! In fact, I would say it is was one of the best times we EVER had at WDW. Everything about it is so different from a typical day spent at the MK.

Quote:
I still haven't decided yet...need to have a serious chat with DH on that one because he made the comment the other night about how we would be there at Halloween time and how could we not go to it? But that doesn't mean he wants to go to it....he's a very confusing man.....
Aren't they all? I have given up trying to figure out my DH because I can't fathom him sometimes!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #144
MRYPPNS

Let talk dinning shall we?

I’m a firm believer in having breakfast in the hotel room in the morning; it goes hand in hand with being at rope drop. Eating in the room does two things…lets you sleep longer and keeps things simpler in the morning so you can make it to rope drop. In 2001 my friend Tracey and I ate at the food court at All-Star Music most mornings. We got there early enough that it wasn’t a problem getting to the park for rope drop but we really could have used the extra sleep. In 2005 John and I did a mix of going to the POP food court and him bring food back to the room while I was getting ready. We were on the DDP (free that time) and really didn’t need a full breakfast every morning. So before we went in 2007 I asked DH if cereal bars and juice for breakfast in the room would be enough for him the mornings that we were going to parks (we usually have lunch about 11 -11:30 am when at the parks). He said yes. Why he said yes I will never know --- that is one of the mystery of marriage. By day 3 he was using snack credits for bagels. Ugh!!!! Did he not know that a DDP snack credit can be worth up to $4 each!!! Bagels are not Snack Worthy! Hffmp! It really bothered me at the time…then at the end of the week when we still had snack credits to burn it didn’t bother me as much…but that’s not the point.

So this year I’m planning better. The day after Thanksgiving I was out shopping at 4am. Disney is never far from my mind. I bought a toaster for $3.88 from Wal-Mart to bring with us to WDW. We’ll get bagels, cream cheese, peanut butter, milk, juice and anything else that DH wants for breakfast at the grocery store in Orlando. We could even get Eggo’s if he wants because we’ll have a fridge in the room.

Here are my dinning plans so far… not too many actual ADRs to make at this point.

Sunday October 26 2008
Arrival
Go to Boardwalk area for the evening

B: At the Airport
L: Quick Service TBD in Orlando
D: Beaches and Cream

Monday 10/27
No parks
Shopping at Disney outlet store in Orlando

B: Room or CS at resort
L: QS TBD in Orlando or DTD
D: Chef Mickey’s

Tuesday 10/28 *
Disney’s Hollywood Studios (DS)

B: Room
L: Hollywood & Vine Buffet with Characters
D: CS at DHS TBD

Wednesday 10/29
Magic Kingdom

L: Pinocchio Village Haus
D: Cosmic Ray’s

Thursday 10/30
No parks
Downtown Disney to shop

B: Whispering Canyon Café
L: Earl of Sandwich
D: O”hana’s

Friday 10/31 Halloween
Animal Kingdom
Trick or Tricking in DTD if offered

L: Restaurantosaurs
D: Wolfgang Puck Express

Saturday 11/1
Magic Kingdom

L: Pecos Bill’s
D: Casey’s Corner or CHH

Sunday 11/2
No parks

B: Kona Café
L: QS TBD
D: Steakhouse in Orlando TBD

Monday 11/3
Epcot

L: Yorkshire Fish & Chips or Sunshine Seasons or snacking around WS
D: Teppan Edo

Tuesday 11/4
Depart for Airport (morning)

B: Room or Food Court at resort
L: Take out for plane
H: at home

Anyone know any good steakhouses outside the world in the Orlando area?

I'm already worried about the menu at O'Hana's ...I read that it was changing again...if they don't have bread pudding for dessert I may have to cancel. And if they change all the side dishes I will change to a different TS...the meat there is no that good without the other menu items that we like.

I keep changing my mind about dinner at Epcot...we'll see if Teppan Edo sticks around.

My other issue is the 2 TS breakfasts...I hate the idea of having an ADR for a morning that we can sleep-in. I may have to wing those plans as we go.

Please free feel to comment or question my choices!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #145
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Let talk dinning shall we?

I’m a firm believer in having breakfast in the hotel room in the morning; it goes hand in hand with being at rope drop. Eating in the room does two things…lets you sleep longer and keeps things simpler in the morning so you can make it to rope drop. In 2001 my friend Tracey and I ate at the food court at All-Star Music most mornings. We got there early enough that it wasn’t a problem getting to the park for rope drop but we really could have used the extra sleep. In 2005 John and I did a mix of going to the POP food court and him bring food back to the room while I was getting ready. We were on the DDP (free that time) and really didn’t need a full breakfast every morning. So before we went in 2007 I asked DH if cereal bars and juice for breakfast in the room would be enough for him the mornings that we were going to parks (we usually have lunch about 11 -11:30 am when at the parks). He said yes. Why he said yes I will never know --- that is one of the mystery of marriage. By day 3 he was using snack credits for bagels. Ugh!!!! Did he not know that a DDP snack credit can be worth up to $4 each!!! Bagels are not Snack Worthy! Hffmp! It really bothered me at the time…then at the end of the week when we still had snack credits to burn it didn’t bother me as much…but that’s not the point.

So this year I’m planning better. The day after Thanksgiving I was out shopping at 4am. Disney is never far from my mind. I bought a toaster for $3.88 from Wal-Mart to bring with us to WDW. We’ll get bagels, cream cheese, peanut butter, milk, juice and anything else that DH wants for breakfast at the grocery store in Orlando. We could even get Eggo’s if he wants because we’ll have a fridge in the room.

Here are my dinning plans so far… not too many actual ADRs to make at this point.

Sunday October 26 2008
Arrival
Go to Boardwalk area for the evening

B: At the Airport
L: Quick Service TBD in Orlando
D: Beaches and Cream

Monday 10/27
No parks
Shopping at Disney outlet store in Orlando

B: Room or CS at resort
L: QS TBD in Orlando or DTD
D: Chef Mickey’s

Tuesday 10/28 *
Disney’s Hollywood Studios (DS)

L: Hollywood & Vine Buffet with Characters
D: CS at DHS TBD

Wednesday 10/29
Magic Kingdom

L: Pinocchio Village Haus
D: Cosmic Ray’s

Thursday 10/30
No parks
Downtown Disney to shop

B: Whispering Canyon Café
L: Earl of Sandwich
D: O”hana’s

Friday 10/31 Halloween
Animal Kingdom
Trick or Tricking in DTD if offered

L: Restaurantosaurs
D: Wolfgang Puck Express

Saturday 11/1
Magic Kingdom

L: Pecos Bill’s
D: Casey’s Corner or CHH

Sunday 11/2
No parks

B: Kona Café
L: QS TBD
D: Steakhouse in Orlando TBD

Monday 11/3
Epcot

L: Yorkshire Fish & Chips or Sunshine Seasons or snacking around WS
D: Teppan Edo

Tuesday 11/4
Depart for Airport (morning)

B: Room or Food Court at resort
L: Take out for plane
H: at home

Anyone know any good steakhouses outside the world in the Orlando area?

I'm already worried about the menu at O'Hana's ...I read that it was changing again...if they don't have bread pudding for dessert I may have to cancel. And if they change all the side dishes I will change to a different TS...the meat there is no that good without the other menu items that we like.

I keep changing my mind about dinner at Epcot...we'll see if Teppan Edo sticks around.

My other issue is the 2 TS breakfasts...I hate the idea of having an ADR for a morning that we can sleep-in. I may have to wing those plans as we go.

Please free feel to comment or question my choices!
I totally agree about eating in the room. We have always stayed off-site and had a full kitchen so we always at in the room (occassionally at Dunkin Donuts or something like that). I love your toaster idea. I might pick one up this week and bring some bread and PB to have in the room. I was going to bring some small bottles of juice and just drink them with ice, but I can't figure out how to transport them. I can't carry them on, but I'm afraid they'll burst under pressure in the luggage. What a mess that would be! And I like to drink grape juice in the morning!

As far as breakfast ADRs - we have never had one. I think next year we might do Crystal Palace super early (since our kids are always up anyways) just to experience the park prior to opening, but otherwise we won't bother.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #146
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Your plans look good.

The $3.88 toaster you got at Walmart is such a good deal. You're right about saving time by eating breakfast in the room.

I understand what you're saying about ts for breakfast. We had breakfast at Kona in January and it was great. I love the Tonga Toast. On your Kona day, since you're not doing any parks, why not make late breakfast ressies? That way you can sleep in.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #147
MRYPPNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I might pick one up this week and bring some bread and PB to have in the room. I was going to bring some small bottles of juice and just drink them with ice, but I can't figure out how to transport them. I can't carry them on, but I'm afraid they'll burst under pressure in the luggage. What a mess that would be! And I like to drink grape juice in the morning!

As far as breakfast ADRs - we have never had one. I think next year we might do Crystal Palace super early (since our kids are always up anyways) just to experience the park prior to opening, but otherwise we won't bother.
Girl you sure like to bring a lot with you for 3 days! just kidding
DH says that the baggage part is the same pressure as the cabin (they do put dogs down there so it makes sense). I usually take bottled water and soda with me...double bagged in zip lock bags. But for only 3 days you might want to skip the hassle and just buy it at Everything Pop.

We did CP last trip for Breakfast and scored the 8:05 am ressie when the park was opening at 9am. The problem was the bus was wicked late so we got there late and missed the whole experience because we had to rush once we were at MK.

Quote:
Your plans look good.

The $3.88 toaster you got at Walmart is such a good deal. You're right about saving time by eating breakfast in the room.

I understand what you're saying about ts for breakfast. We had breakfast at Kona in January and it was great. I love the Tonga Toast. On your Kona day, since you're not doing any parks, why not make late breakfast ressies? That way you can sleep in.
I asked DH what would be the latest he would want to eat breakfast and he said 9am (he does tend to get a little cranky when he hasn't gotten his breakfast ) So that is really no different then getting up for rope drop. I really want to try the Tonga Toast and the Poly is the only place to get my Kona Coffee that I love. (That was one of the best things about Hawaii...real 100 % Kona Coffee every morning...I was in heaven)

You'll have to do dinning reviews for us Miss Deluxe Dinner!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #148
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I asked DH what would be the latest he would want to eat breakfast and he said 9am (he does tend to get a little cranky when he hasn't gotten his breakfast ) So that is really no different then getting up for rope drop. I really want to try the Tonga Toast and the Poly is the only place to get my Kona Coffee that I love. (That was one of the best things about Hawaii...real 100 % Kona Coffee every morning...I was in heaven)
Is the Kona coffee that good? I was thinking of calling this morning and seeing if we could snag a late breakfast at Kona Cafe on Tuesday. The lure of Tonga Toast and Kona coffee is pretty powerful!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #149
MRYPPNS

I have not had the Kona Coffee at my Poly myself...but word on the street says it's one of the only places in WDW to get a good cup of coffee. There is a coffee bar near the Kona Cafe.

Update: I just looked it up and the Kona Island "snack bar" serves Kona Blend Coffee....so not as good as 100% but majorly better then Nescrap they serve everywhere else.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #150
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You'll have to do dinning reviews for us Miss Deluxe Dinner!
The coffee at Kona is the best and I'm not a huge coffee drinker. I thought the coffee everywhere else was just ok. I was missing Starbucks by then end of the trip.

You definitely have to try the Tonga Toast. It is soooooo good! The waitress gave me a copy of the recipe, but I never made it. Somehow I think it tastes better when someone else is cooking

I will do dining reviews. I should include a few reviews from my January trip in my ptr.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: