Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
doglover22
Earning My Ears

Best touring plans?

I was wondering who everyone thinks has the best touring plans. I've heard that both Tour Guide Mike and ***************** (the Unofficial Guide people's site) are good, but since I don't know anyone with first hand experience, I thought I would ask here. Are either of these sites good or is there somewhere better??
doglover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Amyg
DIS Veteran

Everyone will have their own favorite but mine is TGM.

I did borrow UG from the library because it's just fun to read. But my subscription to TGM was what I used to schedule our touring plans. First of all for the discounted rate of $18 it was the most up to date because Mike tries to update frequently. The site has descriptions for all the attractions, rides, restaurants, hotels, etc. He has several standard "touring plans" that you can choose from to "tweak" to your own tastes. I think our longest wait (in July) was 10-15 minutes, but many of the times we didn't wait at all.

AND, if you don't like the site there is a money back guarantee so it's hard to go wrong on that note! If you do choose to go with TGM please note that its a big site and may take some time to navigate through all the info so it's advisable to subscribe well in advance so you can read up and plan out your schedules.

In any case, good luck and have fun!
Amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
rosiejo
Wonky Chick
Look out for wedding crashing DISers!
Blimey you guys were hyper last night

I use both - UG site has some plans that you can print out - one side of A4 with a map and the plan detailed. The I use TGM to adapt the UG plans where needed (a couple of things he does differently and they work better)

I think you can get both for less than $30 and its money well spent
Old 02-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
wildeoscar
DIS Veteran

when all else fails, ask Madam Leotta. both have Zealots... both have pros and cons... one is a lot cheaper than the other, and provides well researched answers. One has a history of poor customer service.
wildeoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Jalva22
DIS Veteran

The UG plans have a great track record for my June trips. I also used TGM in 2007 to see what it was like. There are also lots of variations to choose from. The TGM people will tell you that he teaches you how to make your own decisions instead of just giving you a list. However, if you read through the UG plans and attraction descriptions in the book (the detailed ones, not just the list), you'll find it does exactly the same thing. The reasoning is simple and easy to pick up, so you can make your own adjustments on the fly.

Bottom line for both: Get to the parks early, know your headliners, know your high capacity attractions, utilize fastpass, etc.

There's a never-ending debate on these boards as to which is best. In all honesty, they both work well in the end and they both have good info that the other doesn't have.

Last edited by Jalva22; 02-27-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Jalva22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

IMO RideMax (www.ridemax.com) is the most flexible and powerful touring plan tool. It lets you select the rides on which you want to go, and you can add the same rides multiple times if you want.

With that said, if you use any of the resources mentioned (TGM, UG, RideMax, etc.) to come up with a touring plan you will be far ahead of 95% of the other visitors. So do not stress too much about which resource you use.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
murphnjamie
Mouseketeer

I used the Unofficial Guide for our last trip in Jan '07 and just signed up for TGM yesterday for this one in October. To be honest, I am not so sure about TGM, but I haven't had a chance to look around all that much. I do like the park schedule part as it really gives you a clear idea as to why you shouldn't go to a park on a park a particular day.

To be honest, I think I am going to pick up the UG again and use both. i think that is my best shot to plan a good trip with younger kids and I really think the commentary is fun to read.

**That said I did go to EMH at HS in Jan '07 and I will say it was dead, like no one there. The longest we waited was for test track and that was 15 minutes. Both TGM and UG tell you don't go near them. IMHO, if its a quiet time of year you can do more than you think.

10/1996 - Wilderness
10/1998 - CBR - Honeymoon
1/2007 - Boardwalk - 1st time with my kids!!
10/2008 Wilderness Lodge - 10 year anniversary trip!
2/2011 - Team in Training - running to cure cancer! Disney Princess Half Marathon. 3 day solo trip!!
10/2011 Coronado Springs. Anniversary trip!! Lucky 13 baby!!!
murphnjamie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: