Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
luvdzne
Mouseketeer
Will run and hide if you bring out a sewing machine!
My kids bribed the Tag Fairy to keep their mom busy so they can stay up late

This may change your mind about buying a dyson

If your in the market for a new vacuum and are looking into buying a dyson this just may change your mind. Even those that have a dyson and are looking to put in new carpet may rethink using their dyson on it.

I had new carpet put in last June. I have had problems with it frizzing, piling and what they call "corn rowing". I called the carpet place we purchased it from and they turned it into Shaw that then sent out an inspector. When the report came in they turned down the claim saying that the issues were from aggressively cleaning the carpet. They also said that I should be vacuuming the carpet on the floor setting even though on their site it clearly says to use a vacuum with a good suction and the beater brush. It does recommend using the floor setting with berber and longer carpet (shag) neither which I have. What I have is what they call a frise carpet and as the person at the carpet place said is neither the are referring to. I am also having the same issues with the carpet that goes up the stairs that I don't even use the vacuum on. I either use my hand to scrape up the dog hair and stuff or the hose attachment.

With further investigation I found out that carpet companies are denying any claims on carpet that uses a dyson. It doesn't matter if the problem is clearly a manufacturer's defect. The use of a dyson null and voids all warranty.

Just thought I'd pass this along.
luvdzne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
princessh
Every woman should feel like a princess!

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem. For me personally, I have never had this problem. We have had our Dyson for a little over three years. I am a daycare provider and with a house full of kids, I have to vaccum every day!!! Does it seem to be a problem with all Dyson's or just a certain model? I love our Dyson and think it was the best money we have ever spent! I was having to buy a new vaccum about every year, before we got our Dyson. The vaccum and my carpet have withstood daily vaccuming with no prolems!
princessh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
caitty13
DIS Veteran

Wow! Thanks for the info. I think carpet compaines will try to decline a claim for any reason.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
luvdzne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessh View Post
Sorry to hear that you are having this problem. For me personally, I have never had this problem. We have had our Dyson for a little over three years. I am a daycare provider and with a house full of kids, I have to vaccum every day!!! Does it seem to be a problem with all Dyson's or just a certain model? I love our Dyson and think it was the best money we have ever spent! I was having to buy a new vaccum about every year, before we got our Dyson. The vaccum and my carpet have withstood daily vaccuming with no prolems!

I am a dyson lover too! I've had mine going on 4 years and never had a problem until now. Just know if you ever plan on purchasing new carpet it won't have a warranty on it if you use the dyson. It seems to be all dyson models, the carpet companies claim they are too hard on carpet because of their strong suction.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
DaveCN
Gooby Pls . . .

We have an Oreck. Tried the Dyson -- less than impressed. Especially for the money.

Dyson is to vaccuum cleaners what Apple is to iPods. They are popular due to incredible marketing, not because they are the best out there.
DaveCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
luvdzne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitty13 View Post
Wow! Thanks for the info. I think carpet compaines will try to decline a claim for any reason.
They certainly look for a way out. From what I could find out it is only a dyson vacuum that they automatically deny a claim on. The won't even look further into the problem because they say any use of the dyson voids out the warranty.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

I've owned my Dyson (yellow) for almost 2 years and I love it.

I vacuum at least once a day (I have 2 cats) and it makes my carpets look great. I vacuumed once right before my MIL came over and she said "Oh! You had your carpets cleaned!". Uh, nope, just vacuumed with my Dyson.

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013
Trip Planning in Progress - Grand Floridian (sorry Polynesian): Oct 2014
HeyIt'sMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
shirleyb
I'm a lot funnier in real life.

I used to want a Dyson, but Consumer Reports never rates them very highly. I have hard wood floors though, and very little carpeting to worry about.

It's not the rain that matters, it's how you dance in it.
shirleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
geetey
Queen of the Smilies
Loves when Steamboat Willie toots his horn
This one DEFINITELY deserves the bananas!

Wow! That really stinks for you.

It seems rather ridiculous that a carpet company can deny a claim based on the kind of vacuum you use though. Did they provide that disclaimer when you purchased the carpet? If not, I would probably try pursuing the issue to a higher level. How do they know how often you vacuum? Are other vacuums included on this "disclaimer"?

Like I said, I am really sorry for your trouble. We have newer berber carpet in our basement and haven't encountered any problems using our dyson on it.

geetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Chicago526
Any dream will do...
I have the best NEW HUSBAND ever!
Clorox Toliet wands, I love these things!
"Hmmm...I have a cookbook."

Well, just keep your old vaccum on hand and tell the carpet company that all you use is a beat up ol' Hoover!

My problem is that my Hoover won't die, and I can't justify any new vaccum, let alone a dyson, until it does. Hmmm, maybe if I vaccum the stairs and just as a reach the top, I lose my grip..........

Yes, I do know the difference between "there, their, and they're". However, often my fingers while typing do not.

Last edited by Chicago526; 02-26-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Chicago526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
kathi29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyb View Post
I used to want a Dyson, but Consumer Reports never rates them very highly. I have hard wood floors though, and very little carpeting to worry about.
Consumer Reports lost all credibility with me when they had that car seat fiasco.
kathi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
meandtheguys2
Did not need to resort to hissy fit
Why is it a his-sy fit and not a her-sy fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCN View Post
We have an Oreck. Tried the Dyson -- less than impressed. Especially for the money.

Dyson is to vaccuum cleaners what Apple is to iPods. They are popular due to incredible marketing, not because they are the best out there.
Or a Bose...

We just bought a hoover that works better than my aunt's Kirby on our cat hair.
meandtheguys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
luvdzne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago526 View Post
My problem is that my Hoover won't die, and I can't justify any new vaccum, let alone a dyson, until it does. Hmmm, maybe if I vaccum the stairs and just as a reach the top, I lose my grip..........
That certainly might work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetey View Post
Wow! That really stinks for you.

It seems rather ridiculous that a carpet company can deny a claim based on the kind of vacuum you use though. Did they provide that disclaimer when you purchased the carpet? If not, I would probably try pursuing the issue to a higher level. How do they know how often you vacuum? Are other vacuums included on this "disclaimer"?

Like I said, I am really sorry for your trouble. We have newer berber carpet in our basement and haven't encountered any problems using our dyson on it.
Nope, no disclaimer. I did a lot of research online after they denied my claim due to "aggressive cleaning". That's where I found out they are denying claims on carpets where consumers use a dyson. Shaw was high on the list with other companies following. Our carpet of course is by Shaw.

I want to be clear that I'm not saying Dyson is not a good vacuum. I stated I've had mine for years and love how it vacuums. I've actually recommended it in the past. I just wanted to pass along that carpet companies denying claims due to use of a dyson. They claim the dyson tears the carpet up.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Our new carpet is starting to look really "fuzzy" hard to describe. We paid big bucks for this carpeting hoping it would last. I noticed when I vacumm there are rows of indentations on the carpet. What is "corn rowing"?
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
Miz Diz
I'll give up anything, as long as it isn't ice cream
And now my head is really spinningHe can't understand why he can't get me that excited.

Does the warranty specifically state vacuuming with a Dyson voids the warranty?

I bet if you challenged it, a court would go in your favor; however, who wants to spend the big bucks for that. Of course, if this is rampant maybe a class action will come up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: