Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #106
goofyernmost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrzone View Post
I used to be a tour guide at a historical site, and once during the course of a tour, I addressed a mixed group of men and women as "you guys". Afterwards, I got "talked to" by one of the women about how this term is offensive to some and that it's not a good to use. Who knew?! I mean, it might be a bit informal, but I never knew some people took offense to it! I was a lot more careful after that.
Does anyone have the ability to imagine what would happen in the world if everyone that was offended by something were able to get it stopped, even though nothing offensive was intended. We would come to a communication stand still. The reason it is used that way is to avoid calling people...hey you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenFrasier View Post
YES!! I was in Kmart the other day and the cashier called me "hon" 3 times! Why do people do that?
Cause they don't know your name, and they are trying to be friendly and not cold. I guess a cold world would be better? The real problem is that some have connected the terms hon, dear, darlin and sweetie with some form of sexual connotation. It really isn't one.

Nothing adult has ever happened to me at Disney!
goofyernmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #107
starrzone
Quirky with snack cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyernmost View Post
Does anyone have the ability to imagine what would happen in the world if everyone that was offended by something were able to get it stopped, even though nothing offensive was intended. We would come to a communication stand still. The reason it is used that way is to avoid calling people...hey you!
The owner of a gift shop I worked at when I was a teenager called us employees that constantly! Guess she never wanted to bother learning all our names.

Come check out my blog: http://starrzone.wordpress.com

starrzone is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #108
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyernmost View Post

Cause they don't know your name, and they are trying to be friendly and not cold. I guess a cold world would be better? The real problem is that some have connected the terms hon, dear, darlin and sweetie with some form of sexual connotation. It really isn't one.
You can be warm without being condescending. I don't like people I don't know calling me Honey, Sweetie, etc. Heck, I don't even think they should use my first name. I just think it's rude. I don't find anything sexual about those words.

I do realize, living in the south, that the intention is usually not to be rude, so I don't let it bother me. I don't like it, though.

Editing to add: I don't at all mind it when older people call me those names, and I quite like being called "Love" by an older person.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #109
Katzzz
Earning My Ears

Laughter is the best medicine

I work at a local business, yesterday a young girl came in made her purchase, recieved her change and said," THANKS HONEY". Here she is i'd say 25, younger than my daughter and im 46. Well she left the store and all i could do was to laugh. In High School i took a few courses in sociology and phychology. Some people do it to make themselves look as to be above others, better than when in all it makes them look small. I know there are older people that just cant help it and it sounds normal and then the others, what, trying to act grown up and it comes out sounding fake. In my opinion if you come across one of those fake HONEYS you can always look at them and say," well your welcome HONEY" with a big smile on your face i bet they wont call you that again. It made my day.
Katzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #110
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I hope my life never gets to the point that I worry so much about such meaningless things. People get bent out of shape about the oddest stuff on the DIS.

Last edited by FireDancer; 08-24-2010 at 11:45 AM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #111
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

I'd rather be called honey than ma'am. That makes me feel old old old.

CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #112
JustCallMeMommy
DIS Veteran

"Pet names" have always been a pet peeve of mine. They just grate on my nerves. If I am having a bad day, I am tempted to not even respond.

JustCallMeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #113
Dolce27
It's kind of hard to ride with someone when your on vacation by yourself
I knew that impulsive decision would come back to haunt me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I hope my life never gets to the point that I worry so much about such meaningless things. People get bent out of shape about the oddest things on the DIS.
Everyone has something that irks them from time to time. There's nothing wrong with having a pet peeve, I'm certain that you have your own. You just don't get it b/c this isn't your particular pet peeve. I don't like having people I've never met before calling me "Honey" and "Sweetie." I find it rather condescending.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #114
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

If you go to Leicester you get called me duck, In Corby or work with people from Corby or Scotland (its a scotish thing I have been told?) its hen. I have also been called darlin and sweetheart but it never bothers me. Maam on the other hand makes me feel 100.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #115
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

My boss's boss calls me "Honey" all the time, but as a term of affection. Doesn't bother me. Only time it bothers me is when a waitress or somebody calls me "Honey." But that only seems to happen to me when I'm between Maryland and Georgia. And it's not a big enough deal for me to fret over.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #116
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

I really don't appreciate it when people call me 'honey'/'babe'/'sweetie' except for DF and even then it gets annoying. Please just call me ma'am or my name if you ask for it. Thank You
Old 08-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #117
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ols386 View Post
I'd rather be called honey than ma'am. That makes me feel old old old.

rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #118
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrzone View Post
I used to be a tour guide at a historical site, and once during the course of a tour, I addressed a mixed group of men and women as "you guys". Afterwards, I got "talked to" by one of the women about how this term is offensive to some and that it's not a good to use. Who knew?! I mean, it might be a bit informal, but I never knew some people took offense to it! I was a lot more careful after that.
I'm waiting to get nailed one of these days for saying "you guys" but it IS on the list of "you know you are from...." since it can be a group of all woman and "Hey you guys" will come out just as easily as for mixed group, it doesn't matter. It has the same meaning as you all around here. Of course, I DO tend to think of The Electric Company at times too.

If it's someone from around here they wouldn't even think twice with hearing it.

I know we had this discussion before but really your choice is to call them nothing or apparently HEY YOU (which will offend someone too I'm sure) if you don't know their name but need to get their attention in a retail situation. There was a thread earlier that Ma'am was offensive. I really have no idea what other name you should use when running after someone who forgot part of their purchase & you don't know their name but you need to call them back -- "Excuse me Sir/Ma'am" seems to be the most logical to me but that also offends people.

OOPS -- I didn't notice this was a very old thread brought back up.

Last edited by Becky2005; 08-24-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #119
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

I work with this man who calls all the women Honey Bun and all the men Buddy or Bub. Its very annoying. I dislike him also, so it makes it worse.

I dont think you should use those terms with anyone you dont know. I know in most cases it is used with only good thoughts in mind; but I do find it silly for a total stranger to call me honey. If I were a child maybe; but not another adult.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #120
Ppufi
Care Bear at Heart

Depends. If people my grandparents' age says it to me, I don't mind. But when upperclassmen call me (sophomore) sweetie or honey it really pisses me off. :| I'm only 3 months-2 years younger than you, you have no right to call me sweetie!

Imagine it, Create it.
Ppufi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: