Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #91
alexandria674
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
And really that is fine, We all have preferences, it is just the attitude with which some people express their preferences. I don't use these expressions except with my kid's friends and with my very dear friends, Heck my next door neighbor even tells me "love you" before she hangs up and we are not best friends. Anyway, I don't use those terms because I know some people don't care for them and that is their right to do so, I just don't understand people why get so worked up over it.
Honestly,I don't understand what the big deal is either. I mean, I would understand if a boss or sleezy guy said those endearments in a skeezy way but if it is just someone at Taco Bell who didn't mean any harm with it in any way is nothing to be all that bothered about.
alexandria674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #92
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

I do have to admit, that I have never had anyone younger than me use those terms. It would probably make me think twice but no biggie. I am used to older people doing it, and I have had some older nurses do it while I was in the hospital, that didn't bother me a bit, in fact I like it. I found it somewhat calming. Nothing like and all business nurse while you are in the hospital. Just makes it even more colder and sterile to me.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #93
starrzone
Quirky with snack cakes

I used to be a tour guide at a historical site, and once during the course of a tour, I addressed a mixed group of men and women as "you guys". Afterwards, I got "talked to" by one of the women about how this term is offensive to some and that it's not a good to use. Who knew?! I mean, it might be a bit informal, but I never knew some people took offense to it! I was a lot more careful after that.

Come check out my blog: http://starrzone.wordpress.com

starrzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #94
mickeysaver
WINNER of the world's worst limerick contest! ;)
I am a LARGE toddler!
No one wants to contemplate their mortality while their broccoli is getting cold

Location: 20 years in the past aka Daytona Beach - It's so weird here!

Guilty of doing it to others!

I work in a pediatric medical office and I say those sorts of phrases to moms, dads, and grandparents all of the time. I live in the suburban Atlanta area, so it's not as uncommon down here to say these things when you feel close to the people that you are speaking with. It's far from insincere when it exits my mouth. If you are a new mom, most of the time, there will be a honey that slips into the conversation somewhere. If I like you, most of the time there is a sweetie, honey, darlin' or some other term of endearment that gets thrown into the conversation somewhere too. It's just part of being raised in the south and our conversational language.

To those of you that don't like it, I am sorry. I have never had a parent voice any displeasure with me using these terms when referring to them. I can usually tell who I need to be totally professional with and who I can be real with.
mickeysaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #95
MM27
DIS Veteran

I don't mind the occassional honey or sweetie although I wouldn't do it, but I can honestly say I've never been called babe except by my boyfriend. That would be really freaky. There was a guy that I went off on one time because he made some pssst pssst sound at me when I walked by and I had to explain to him that that is not the way to get my attention. I think he was shocked that I said something but his friends were laughing at him.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #96
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

I can't imagine getting so upset over something like this. I just can't. I don't mind a bit, unless the term is being used sarcastically or meanly.
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #97
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
That is very condecending. When people do it to me I feel like they are talking down to me (even though that may not be their intention). Its like when African American men are called "boy". (back from the slave days). Its very insulting.
Sorry, nothing like it in the least.

Here in the south, you hear honey and sweetie alot. It doesn't bother me in the least. I call all the kids at my DSs' schools that because I can't remember all their names. To me there is nothing more comforting than hearing an elderly lady call me honey.

Do you mean that in NYC they don't have any more gum snapping waitresses calling everyone hon?

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #98
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

I have to admit I am known to be a "high maintenance" kind of person by people that know me ( a lot of improper things bother me) but "Hun", "Honey", "Sugar" are definitely not words that I find offensive. Quite the contrary, I think they are sweet.
In full disclosure, I have lived in Texas for over 20 years.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #99
Lou Holtz
DIS Veteran

I actually hate being called "sir". It makes me uncomfortable for some reason.
Lou Holtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #100
Pancakes
Mouseketeer

Calling people 'honey' or 'dear' is annoying. I can't do it.
For my school play, in my lines, I call the lead 'honey' twice. I don't think it's offensive...but I just feel awkward saying it.

*WDWCP Spring 2013 Recreation*~Port Orleans Riverside
* WDWCP Spring 2012 Merchandise*~Polynesian Resort
http://melissadcp.tumblr.com/
http://mkwoww2107.blogspot.com

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #101
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m's mom View Post
I have to admit I am known to be a "high maintenance" kind of person by people that know me ( a lot of improper things bother me) but "Hun", "Honey", "Sugar" are definitely not words that I find offensive. Quite the contrary, I think they are sweet.
In full disclosure, I have lived in Texas for over 20 years.
This thread has been interesting. I am one of "those" people who sometimes call people honey or sweetie (would never use Babe though). I only use those terms when dealing with people who are much younger than me (I'm 50). I certainly never mean them in anything but a kind way. It never crossed my mind that anybody would be offended by my trying to be nice to them. I do live in the deep south, so I'm hoping that may have helped.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #102
shortbun
Peacenik

I absolutely hate it and have asked people I do not know to stop.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #103
EllenFrasier
DIS Veteran

YES!! I was in Kmart the other day and the cashier called me "hon" 3 times! Why do people do that?
EllenFrasier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #104
châteaux
waiting for next years trip to arrive!

Last edited by châteaux; 06-25-2010 at 09:14 PM.
châteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #105
Mommee
DIS Veteran

DH has a friend that used to call me honey all the time, and I hate hate hate it. I think he must've finally said something to the guy because he stopped. I can't think of any other instances when it's bothered me, though.
Mommee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: