Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #31
shortbun
Peacenik

My friends can call me honey or sweetie all they want. Strangers cross boundaries when they do it and I do not like people using familiar terms with me. It strikes me as very impolite.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #32
StrollPatrolMom
I'm happy to amuse myself, carry on

I'll take this as a compliment to my hot mama-ness....but if one more guy leers at me, I'm gonna punch them in the face.

It just happened to me 5 minutes ago. Hello? I'm out taking my kids for a WALK, not trying to pick up a guy on the side of the road.

And I'm wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

Sheesh.

I feel better now.

And for the record, if its an older gentleman, they are of a different era, so if they call me a "pet name" then fine...bit if its someone younger than 70, not okay.
StrollPatrolMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #33
krcit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrollPatrolMom View Post
I'll take this as a compliment to my hot mama-ness....but if one more guy leers at me, I'm gonna punch them in the face.

It just happened to me 5 minutes ago. Hello? I'm out taking my kids for a WALK, not trying to pick up a guy on the side of the road.

Sheesh.

I feel better now.

And for the record, if its an older gentleman, they are of a different era, so if they call me a "pet name" then fine...bit if its someone younger than 70, not okay.

That used to annoy me too...........until it stopped happening

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #34
DisneyAddict_M
Born to stand out
I was such a nerd, but I was a cool nerd
I can pick my nose with my toe
I'm the weirdest person I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrollPatrolMom View Post

Sheesh.

I feel better now.

That happened to me this morning too. I got a "lookin' good, girl." I was tempted to reply, "Thanks. You look like crap." or something worse. Seriously. I wonder if they get any dates that way.

Anyway, about the "sweetie" "hun" thing...doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's a lot better than what they COULD be calling me.

DisneyAddict_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #35
marybet
I'm from Ohio, I just live in Alabama.
Had a crush on Dr. Kildare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnmy2bys View Post
Having grown up in the south and living in Texas now, I will admit to calling people Honey, Sweetie, Sugar, And Baby (hanging my head in shame).
I am sorry if people find in offensive. I mean nothing derogatory by it. I guess I will try to limit it to family only. I am a nurse and all my patients are subjected to being called these names. As in " move right over here, honey".
Chris
It is one thing from a server who does not know your name. A nurse usually has a chart with your name on it. For me, this is the most annoying, I am not your honey I am your patient and you should use my name. Holds true for anyone who knows your name.
marybet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #36
Castlebound
Mouseketeer
Has bought her DH "Man Flowers"

If they are older than me by at least 20 years then I'm fine with it. When I worked retail at a farm & home store the older men always called me honey or sweetie. They didn't mean anything by it. When I was in labor with my DD an older British doctor checked on me before my doctor arrived. When he walked into the room he said, "How are we doing there, Love." He used the term the whole time he checked on me and the way he said it was kind of comforting.

BUT it does bother me when someone younger than me calls me Hon. I'm in my early 30's and I know that calling people Hon or Sweetie is not something that is done here by me or anyone younger than me. I find it rude and that they are trying to talk down to me. A girl in her late teens called me Hon at the Mall just last week. The way that she said it made it seem like a put-down. So I replyed with sure thing Suger Booger.

AKL 09/03
CSR & AKL 01/05
AKL 03/09
Castlebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #37
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
That is very condecending. When people do it to me I feel like they are talking down to me (even though that may not be their intention). Its like when African American men are called "boy". (back from the slave days). Its very insulting.
In South Louisiana it is very common to be called "baby" by African American women of a certain age. And far from insulting - it is actually quite a compliment to rate a "baby".

So if any of you who are offended by the use of a term like "baby" choose to visit please know that this is meant as a term of endearment and not an insult. You can still be offended if you want to be, but please know that it was not said to offend you.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #38
jen0610
DIS Veteran

My mom will rip a waitresses head off quicker than you can blink an eye, if she is called honey or sweetie.

She just had hip replacement surgery. She wanted to move, but couldn't very well. The 2 nurses were trying to help her and one of them called her honey. She told her off and made them write on her wall chart that they are not to call her either of these names. Dh and I were both like We'd have let it go. Your in pain and you can't hardly move. We sure wouldn't rip the head off of the person you are counting on helping you out.

Doesn't faze me a bit.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #39
BettyCv
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
My mom will rip a waitresses head off quicker than you can blink an eye, if she is called honey or sweetie.

She just had hip replacement surgery. She wanted to move, but couldn't very well. The 2 nurses were trying to help her and one of them called her honey. She told her off and made them write on her wall chart that they are not to call her either of these names. Dh and I were both like We'd have let it go. Your in pain and you can't hardly move. We sure wouldn't rip the head off of the person you are counting on helping you out.
Good for your Mom!!!! I am sure she felt completely dependent on everyone for everything after her surgery. Good for her for holding onto her dignity and demanding she be called by her name!

I can't remember if it was Dear Abby or Ann Landers who said your response should be "My husband/wife calls me Sweetie. You can call me Mrs. So-and-so."
BettyCv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #40
Camicar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am a nurse and all my patients are subjected to being called these names. As in " move right over here, honey".
I'm sorry, but that is completely unprofessional. Perhaps it might be okay if you're a ped nurse, but that's it. I'm sure you mean it to be comforting by being so familiar, but a lot of people would find it patronizing and overly familiar at a time when one already feels out of control and vulnerable.
Camicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #41
Rhonda922
Freakin Family Guy is Freakin Awesome!
I thoroughly enjoy the Target shopping experience
My boss thinks she is Deleware but she is really more like Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmom View Post
I don't particularly like it, but I'd rather be called Honey than Maam.
Oh, don't even get me started on the "maam" thing . Sweetie, Hon, etc. doesn't bother me at all.
Rhonda922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #42
MrOakie
So, I went out & bought my stir crazy!

I guess you get used to it. I've lived in Louisiana now for almost 7 years, and I really don't pay that much attention to it anymore. I will say though.... I do call all my customers by name.... Ms so and so , or Mr so and so (no matter how old they are)... and say sir and ma'am. I don't think people are trying to be disrespectful, just trying to be nice in a country way.

(ME) (Kim - DW) (Allie) (Mama) (Secret) (Lil Bit)

October 2013 - CBR & MNSSHP
8/06 - CBR / 11/09 AS Movies & MVMCP / 10/10 - All Star Movies & MNSSHP / 11/12 -Pop Century & MNSSHP

Make a new Best Friend- Adopt A Homeless Pet
MrOakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #43
Sheree Bobbins
DIS Veteran

It used to bother me, depending on the mood I was in. Nowadays, I don't mind the overly-familiar moniker.
Sheree Bobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #44
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Don't like to be called babe by anyone...man, woman or child. And that includes DH. I just don't like Babe. Soemthing about it annoys me.

Don't mind the other "terms of endearment", depending on the context. Sometimes they can sound condescending, at which point I usually say to the condescender "I'm not your honey".

They get the message.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #45
ariel & eric
Mouseketeer

I work with a lady who calls everyone "Hon". Drives my crazy.
ariel & eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: