Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
CJBaby
I was always taught it was shelter, clothing, INTERPRETIVE DANCER, and THEN food
I'm sorry, I would love to, but I suffer from chronic pinky-toe pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles and boo View Post
Pick up your chalupa and hit the road.
CJBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #17
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have never had one. Are they good? (I love Taco Bell )
yes, they are the same as the Chalupa but the shell isn't fried. The Chalupa is just a fried Gordita Shell. Gorditas were around way before the Chalupa in Taco Bell.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #18
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think it is the same thing at all. I am sure this will sound snotty, but it is TACO BELL. Pick up your chalupa and hit the road. I only consider it condescension when a person in a position of power uses language to belittle someone else. Someone who asks "You want hot or fire sauce, Honey?" is in no position of power over me, especially if I am the customer.
Customer Service professionals ARE in a position of power which is why they THINK they can say to a customer. Whether it is intentional or not, there is an element of looking one's nose down when addressing a customer in this manner.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #19
MyManGoofy!
“Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.”

Checking in as someone who will admit that I have been known to call people honey or sweetie. It is truly not meant to be insulting at all. I know for me - I am just trying to be friendly.

I have never had someone tell me they were offended or insulted by it, but I after reading this - I will work very hard not to do it at all.
MyManGoofy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
CJBaby
I was always taught it was shelter, clothing, INTERPRETIVE DANCER, and THEN food
I'm sorry, I would love to, but I suffer from chronic pinky-toe pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
Customer Service professionals ARE in a position of power which is why they THINK they can say to a customer. Whether it is intentional or not, there is an element of looking one's nose down when addressing a customer in this manner.
Or maybe they think they're being nice?
CJBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran

To those that were called Hun, we're you assuming they we using an abbreviated form of Honey, and not comparing you to the nomadic barbarians of the Asian steppe?

j/k
Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #22
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBaby View Post
Or maybe they think they're being nice?

Niceness aside, its still not professional (in the taco bell situation).
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #23
Thats_for_Shore
Do what you feel like doing when you feel like doing it
Doesn't want a turd tag
It was right between the Ducks

I don't have a problem with it. It happens in my area all the time. But we're just your run of the mill country folks.

Here, it goes both ways. It's not just the clerk saying it. Here, the customer is just as likely to say, "Can I get BBQ sauce with that, Hon?" or "Hey, hon, you forgot the napkins."
Thats_for_Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #24
Abbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
See, I think this might be a regional thing. It's pretty common here and I'm sure it's not meant in a condescending way at all.

OP, I don't know what part of MD you are in but try getting through a meal anywhere near the city and NOT be called "hon"! Baltimore is kind of known for being Hon City. Do you remember awhile back when someone kept defacing the "Welcome to Baltimore" sign by adding "Hon" to the end of it? I think the powers that be finally gave up and let it stay.

For me, hon and sweetie are ok, especially if done by an older lady (don't think I've ever heard a man do that) but you better not call me babe!
Abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #25
freckles and boo
I occasionally lurk on the UK board
I can't tell you all the stupid things I have seen my husband do while wearing sandals
Bird doo on my sheets isn't sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
To those that were called Hun, we're you assuming they we using an abbreviated form of Honey, and not comparing you to the nomadic barbarians of the Asian steppe?

j/k
I suppose that depends upon which Taco Bell you frequent.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #26
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

There is a woman I work with who calls practically everyone "honey." I think it's annoying, but I also realize she doesn't even know she's doing it, it's like an automatic thing. She called me honey once and I asked her not to and I could tell she didn't even realize that she'd said it.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream

Last edited by WaltD4Me; 02-25-2008 at 11:29 AM.
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #27
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

I think it's very common in the South for older ladies to call people Honey. If they know you, you may even get a Baby or Sugar. For that matter, I catch myself using "honey" with DD8's little friends. Now if a man leered at me when he said it, that would be another matter. Unless it was Johnny Depp, Colin Firth, George Clooney, etc.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #28
DorkyDisneyMom
I will have to look tomorrow to see if my neighbors posted about me
I just don't like to do it by myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmom View Post
I don't particularly like it, but I'd rather be called Honey than Maam.
Yeah, maam and Mrs. Lastname are my husband's mom.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #29
luvnmy2bys
Mouseketeer

Southern Gal Here

Having grown up in the south and living in Texas now, I will admit to calling people Honey, Sweetie, Sugar, And Baby (hanging my head in shame).
I am sorry if people find in offensive. I mean nothing derogatory by it. I guess I will try to limit it to family only. I am a nurse and all my patients are subjected to being called these names. As in " move right over here, honey".
Chris
luvnmy2bys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #30
Dolce27
It's kind of hard to ride with someone when your on vacation by yourself
I knew that impulsive decision would come back to haunt me!

Count me in as another one who's completely is annoyed by it. I feel that it's totally condescending when a stranger refers to me as 'honey' or 'sweetie'. However, I don't get worked up if it's an old person. It's usually the early 20-something servers at restaurants that do this to me a lot and by the end of the meal I'm to the point of not wanting to leave a tip due to my annoyance at them. (Don't worry, I do leave a tip.. but the thought’s there to not.)

It is very disrespectful to refer to someone that you don’t even know in those terms. Normally, those terms are reserved for a significant other (which I don’t have a problem with if a boyfriend was to call me ‘honey’ or ‘sweetie’) or those terms are often used when speaking to children. So, if a stranger begins to refer to me as ‘honey’ then I feel that they are talking down to me as a child and as an adult, that’s disrespectful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: