Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Talking And I Did It My Way! First Time Going SOLO! ***NEW! 7/17 p.7***

I’m not going to lie folks. I don’t exactly have the best track record when it comes to finishing trip reports. In my few years on the DIS, I’ve started 3 trip reports and finished 0!!! And they aren’t even super long trips. Typically I think I just get in a Disney funk – you know, the Disney blues? And it just gets too darn sad to play on the DIS. And then when I finally do return to the boards, it just seems silly for me to finish, months later after no updates at all.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

So that brings me to this trip. I’m attempting for the 4th time to write a TR. And I’m not going to put a ton of pressure on myself to update it everyday and finish it in lightning speed. This may be a good strategy to actually completing a trippie. We shall see.

With all that said, I hope you will stick with me through my TR. So let’s get started.

The cast of this trip includes ME! And me alone. That’s right everyone. This here is a solo trip. My first actually. I may/probably will be meeting a friend of mine who lives in Orlando for a little bit, but for the most part it will be me and the world. I’m a native Floridian (born and currently living in Ft. Lauderdale). I’m a recent grad school graduate, waiting for my master’s degree in speech-language pathology to be conferred and all my certification/licensure paperwork to be completed. It took 3.5 years and I never thought I’d see this day.

The past few months have been a little, shall we say, stressfull. I started my last internship in January at a rehab hospital. Started out ok. I love hospitals and thought I would love working in one. Then one day I got a call that my dad had passed away. While I was driving home from work no less. He had been very sick with cancer, but still his death was actually rather sudden. We had had a distant relationship, however, losing a parent is definitely hard.

So while I was grieving on the inside (because I’m stubborn and hold all of my emotions inside), I was back at work, trying to be “little miss perfect intern”. Wasn’t happening apparently. More than once my supervisor gave me some not so comforting or kind words of “constructive criticism”. I began to dread getting up in the morning to head off to work. The “f” word was even thrown around. Personally, I think she was threatening me more than actually thinking I deserved to fail. Finally the semester ended. We sat down to discuss my grade. And I passed! At the end of the day, I did learn a lot and I’m a better SLP because of it, however I still do not agree with some of her supervisor strategies and the fact that she wanted me to be exactly like her which wasn’t going to happen. Yikes, bitter much?

Oops, getting ahead of myself a wee bit. Somewhere around March, aka “when I began hating life”, I stumbled across my annual pass while doing a little cleaning up. Hmm, it expires May 18. My mom and I already had a cruise booked in April to celebrate completing grad school so a huge trip to Disney really wasn’t in the cards. I knew I wasn’t going to be working in May since I would have just finished school.

Yet the wheels in my head began to turn. I hate being alone, yet I love Disney world and felt like a few days in the world solo wouldn’t be so terrible. Ok, who am I kidding. I thought it would be freakin' awesome! My mom (who usually accompanies me on my Disney trips) was not really interested in heading back to Disney or the idea of boarding our dog again, so soon after our cruise. I have a good friend that lives in Orlando who I could spend some time with too.

One morning I arrived at work, aka hell, early. I most definitely was not going to go inside early so I decided I would call Disney reservations and see about booking a room. It went something like this:

Me: “Hi, I’m in danger of failing grad school, my supervisor hates me, I’m questioning everything I ever thought I wanted in a career and I want to hide under a rock for the next 7 weeks. Can you help me?”
Disney Cast Member: “Of course! We have Pop Century available with an AP discount.”
Me: “I’ll take it!”

And so it was that I booked 3 nights at Pop Century May 15-18th. Solo.

P.S. This TR will have pics, just not tonight. I'm trying to find some recent ones and have to upload them. Oh and I'm not so sure about the title of the TR, but it'll do for now.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Wonders10; 07-17-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
aldisneygrl
I'm putting on my shades

Hi Shannon!! I'm on board whether you finish or not. I've been around through your "tough" year, so I want to be here when you celebrate with the Mouse.

In the words of Mumbling Jumba:
I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
You will always be in our thoughts and our hearts.

Last edited by aldisneygrl; 05-04-2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Ooohhhh, I was first!!! WooHoo!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

looking forward to reading more about your solo trip
Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
dwheatl
DIS Veteran
Can you tell I'm a dyed-in-the lime-green-wool DL fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonders10 View Post
I decided I would call Disney reservations and see about booking a room. It went something like this:

Me: “Hi, I’m in danger of failing grad school, my supervisor hates me, I’m questioning everything I ever thought I wanted in a career and I want to hide under a rock for the next 7 weeks. Can you help me?”
Disney Cast Member: “Of course! We have Pop Century available with an AP discount.”
Me: “I’ll take it!”
And so it was that I booked 3 nights at Pop Century May 15-18th. Solo.
Sounds like great Disney therapy,Shannon. Something I have benefited from on occasion.
And I didn't realize you were in Ft. Lauderdale. One of my best friends from college (and the only non family member allowed to join us at Disney) lives in Hollywood. If I ever go to visit her (we always just meet at WDW) I'd like to plan a meet with you too.
WDW trips1985 Newlyweds offsite 1987 With MIL offsite 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006 WDW Dolphin 2012 - Art of Animation
Old 05-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
DisneyLaura
A Dream is A Wish Your Heart Makes

Shannon - Hi, I came over from the peep thread. I love the title of your TR, I wouldn't change it. Good first installment.

Laura

Old 05-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
hlrababy
Disney Princess ~Tinkerbell, sprinkle me with your pixie dust~ That castle is mine!!

Hi Shannon!!!

I am joining and can't wait to here about your trip!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldisneygrl View Post
Hi Shannon!! I'm on board whether you finish or not. I've been around through your "tough" year, so I want to be here when you celebrate with the Mouse.
Thanks for sticking with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post
looking forward to reading more about your solo trip
I'm looking forward to experiencing it - thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheatl View Post
Sounds like great Disney therapy,Shannon. Something I have benefited from on occasion.
And I didn't realize you were in Ft. Lauderdale. One of my best friends from college (and the only non family member allowed to join us at Disney) lives in Hollywood. If I ever go to visit her (we always just meet at WDW) I'd like to plan a meet with you too.
Yep I'm in Ft. Lauderdale - well actually I'm a little north of it, but most people won't know it and I think it's a bit safer, you know for all the weirdos. Definitely let me know if you are ever down here in my neck of the woods! And thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLaura View Post
Shannon - Hi, I came over from the peep thread. I love the title of your TR, I wouldn't change it. Good first installment.

Laura
Thanks - I'm a Sinatra fan and the title just came to me! Thanks for reading - I'm working on a little update as we speak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrababy View Post
Hi Shannon!!!

I am joining and can't wait to here about your trip!
Thanks for stopping by - stay tuned for more!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Sort of a mini update here I suppose. First I want to say that I'm stealing this idea from Dawn (aka Punkin413) because I think it is super smart to make the font all pretty and big so that readers know what is actually part of the pre-TR/TR and what isn't. Don't you? So there ya go.

I can officially introduce myself now even though photobucket was not cooperating with me at all yesterday or today so the pictures at this point are minimal. Either way, let me introduce myself:

That's me with a different hair do. Here is a more recent pic of me and my 5-year old nephew:

Notice any changes?

So that is me. Why did I choose the 2nd picture, the one with my nephew in it? Well I'm glad you asked. On Friday or Saturday my mom said something along the lines of "are you really going by yourself?" referring to this solo trip to WDW. Well, yeah that was the plan. Of course I will be meeting my friend at some point but pretty much will be on my own. She says, "you should bring Owen" (nephew pictured above).

You see, typically my niece and nephew are my travel companions, along with my mom of course. They have been to WDW more in their 5 and 7 years on this earth than most people have gone in their entire lives. My niece would never be allowed to miss 2 days of school (gasp! shock! horror at the thought!) but my nephew is only in pre-K so apparently it isn't important. Compared to 1st grade anyway.

I thought about bringing him. I honestly did. He's a fun kid! Definitely active but get him alone and he is sweet, smart, funny - just a great kid to be around. I stewed it over until yesterday.

Then I thought "what the heck are you doing, Shannon?!?!? You take these kids all the time to Disney World and now you want to take a 5 year old by yourself instead of traveling alone and doing whatever the heck you want? Are you insane?"

So I opted out of bringing my nephew on this trip. Of course he had no idea he was even up for the running as a travel mate, poor thing. So nobody's feelings were hurt.

So now you have officially met the cast! Me!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
aldisneygrl
I'm putting on my shades

Shannon, your nephew is a cutie. Kids see Disney in a whole different light but you DESERVE this trip by yourself. To do what YOU want to do. After all you survived the supervisor from HE double hockey sticks! I think you are precious in both pics.

In the words of Mumbling Jumba:
I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
You will always be in our thoughts and our hearts.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Disneyland_Mama
His head instantly inflated!!!
I don't suck!!! I ROCK!!!
DIS juices are a flowin'!!

Hi! I followed your link from V's thread. I can't wait to read about your solo trip!
Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
DisneyLaura
A Dream is A Wish Your Heart Makes

Shannon - I agree with aldisneygrl you deserve a trip by yourself. You go with them all the time. You need some me time. Love your hair blond by the way.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldisneygrl View Post
Shannon, your nephew is a cutie. Kids see Disney in a whole different light but you DESERVE this trip by yourself. To do what YOU want to do. After all you survived the supervisor from HE double hockey sticks! I think you are precious in both pics.
Thanks - I'm definitely glad that I decided not to ask him to tag a long (yikes, did that sound mean? Didn't mean it to) Thanks again for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLaura View Post
Shannon - I agree with aldisneygrl you deserve a trip by yourself. You go with them all the time. You need some me time. Love your hair blond by the way.
I'm getting super excited about going solo and I'm a teensy-weensy bit worried that I will like it so much that I will want all my disney trips to be solo. But that is a risk I'm willing to take .

Thanks for the hair compliment. I had it blonde for so long but I was horrible with the maintainence for highlights so I decided to just color it back to my natural color. Currently I hate my hair because the color does not last long and I was out in the sun a lot recently so my hair is a much lighter shade of brown than I like it to be. It's also way longer than I want it to be. I was ready to cut it short - similar to the blond hair 'do, when my stylist suggested I just keep growing it for a few more months and donate it to locks of love. 3 months isn't that long I suppose so that's what I'm doing and I cannot wait to be able to chop it off again!

Oh and thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland_Mama View Post
Hi! I followed your link from V's thread. I can't wait to read about your solo trip!
Hi there! Thanks for stopping by! Get comfy and stay awhile!

Thanks again for everyone who has read and replied and for the lurkers out there reading - come on, post! You know you want to

Working on another mini-update for tomorrow
Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Laura - just noticed that you are from Connecticut? Whereabouts? I'm a Florida native, but my mom and family grew up in Danbury.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

subscribing. can't wait to hear more!

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
dance2874
DIS Veteran

Coutn me in too! You totally deserve this trip Shannon, it has been a rough year.

And I am actually a tad jealous of you going it alone! Wish I could do that sometime. Taking my 5 yr old alone last fall was pretty much like going alone because I could still make all the plans my way....but being totally alone would be fantastic I think.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: