Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Podcasters Take on No Wristbands in Feb?

I just read about no wristbands being given out late in February for EMH. I was wondering what everyone's take on it was. Could it be that they are testing a new way to hold EMH at night? Or, did they just run out of bracelets?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

I'll personally like the idea if it works. I never liked waiting in line for the wristbands

It will work if Cast Members keep checking guests for their room keys during EMH. I'm sure they will check them going into rides and attractions, but will they check for room keys in the middle of Main Street, or in a shop. Can Disney Cast Members police this enough to make legitimate EMH guests satisfied others are not trying to cheat the system. I guess time will tell.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
I<3EvilQueen
Is That the Fashion 2nd Amendment-The Right to Bare Arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I just read about no wristbands being given out late in February for EMH. I was wondering what everyone's take on it was. Could it be that they are testing a new way to hold EMH at night? Or, did they just run out of bracelets?
I think I read somewhere on line that they are testing a new process for evening EMHs

Upcoming Trips:
7 Night Mediterrian Cruise June 2013
I<3EvilQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
calypso*a*go-go

Captain of the Love "Board!"
Cost for a tag=1 "Mickey"

I was wondering the same thing. I have a feeling it is just another cost-cutting measure that could actually generate more income for Disney at the same time as it would allow non-resort guests to stay in the parks longer and spend more money in restaurants/shops.

Personally, I think not having the wristbands would be a real inconvenience as you'd have to keep getting your room key out over and over again (plus I'd be scared that someone would drop one and possibly lose it). I guess you could get one of those lanyards with a clear pouch and wear it around your neck, but on some rides that would also be a pain in the behind.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

I agree. It is definitely going to be a pain in the neck to have your card out for every attraction during nighttime EMH's. We cover all of the parks during the peak season ones and never have any lines to worry about. Having to take out our cards every five seconds in really an inconvenience. I also agree that the CM's may not police or be able to police all of the non-resort guests. This will turn such a great idea into a mess.

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 02-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
beachwarmer
Thanks very much for the extra pixie dust
I spent the whole time watching the "giant" bugs crawl around the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso*a*go-go View Post
I guess you could get one of those lanyards with a clear pouch and wear it around your neck, but on some rides that would also be a pain in the behind.
An excellent use for the DIS Unplugged Lanyard....
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

I think this is something new they are trying so they won't have to kick everyone out. They can make more money if they let the people stay and shop for hours they just can't ride the rides. So it is shopping and eating only for those not at a disney resorts. Sounds like a good money making plan for disney.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

where can I get the lanyards?
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
calypso*a*go-go

Captain of the Love "Board!"
Cost for a tag=1 "Mickey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
where can I get the lanyards?
Right now the only way to get one is to have an email read or voicemail played during the Podcast. I'm also hoping they might be something received during the DIS Unplugged cruise.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

This is what used to be done at US/IOA for front of the line--I don't know if it is still done that way, but really not any kind of big deal, just show your room key and your on yur way. The bracelets are just one more line to stand in and I'd welcome a change if it works.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsal View Post
This is what used to be done at US/IOA for front of the line--I don't know if it is still done that way, but really not any kind of big deal, just show your room key and your on yur way. The bracelets are just one more line to stand in and I'd welcome a change if it works.
The one big difference though is the entire park should be closed to non-resort guests, not just an express or fast pass queue.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #12
aprince&princess
DIS Veteran

I would still prefer the bracelet than to have to keep taking out room cards. For all the times that we have done EMH, we have never waited more than a few minutes to get the bracelet.

aprince&princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

My sentiment exactly. It's half a minute to a minute for a bracelet. I rather that than having to whip out the card every five seconds.

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Why not just let people with wrist bands on the rides? Are they trying to put on a show by saying, show your card at the rides and they let everyone else stay in the park? Do they think by not giving out wrist bands we won't know all the other non-resort guest are still in the park? Just give me a wristband so I don't have to mess with my resort key all night long.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
cxcelica
Mouseketeer

I have never had any problem with the wrist band, and from at least my point of view, the system worked fine. It usually took maybe 1-2 minutes to get a wrist band and that is it, you are good for the night. For me it seems alot easier to do that than to have to keep pulling out my wallet at every ride to find the key card.

Also I know how some people have said it may be a way for Disney to make more money, but although I have seen people turned away from rides without a wristband, I have never seen anyone thrown out of a store or not served food for not having a wristband.

There must be something we are missing with this.
cxcelica is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: