Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #1636
lotus14
All This Disney Research Is Hurting My BRAIN!

We just got back from POR and found the grocery selection to be really lacking. We did a Garden Grocer order but ran out of cereal and milk. Milk was no problem but the only cereal was those tiny boxes in a multi pack. If you REALLY don't care about breakfast items, I'd get them there but it would be much nicer to just get a Garden Grocer order than leave it up to chance.

We've stayed at DVC properties as well and found those to have much more in the way of regular groceries than POR did. In a pinch, you can find SOMETHING but it might not be what you were looking for.
2011: POP-Free Dining, Adults Only
2009: OKW-Free Upgrade, Free Dining
lotus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #1637
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus14 View Post
We've stayed at DVC properties as well and found those to have much more in the way of regular groceries than POR did.
That's rather the point, POR is a hotel whereas DVC is basically more like self-catering villas with kitchen facilities. The POR shop does sell basics and essentials, but it is not set up as a grocer to allow you to prepare meals in your room.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #1638
evcollins
Mouseketeer

Can anyone help me understand how to use the Quick Service credit at the Rivermill for breakfast? We don't want to use our Table Service and was wondering what kind of food would be available. Trying to decide if it's worth using a QS or OOP. We have three kids and two adults. It can really be a toss up some mornings on whether they're hungry or not, so trying to see if there's a variety of breakfast foods or if it would be more continental breakfast style.

Thanks for your help!
evcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #1639
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evcollins View Post
Can anyone help me understand how to use the Quick Service credit at the Rivermill for breakfast?
Basically you just go up to any of the food counters and order a breakfast entrée, then get a drink from the chiller cabinet, then go to the cashier and use your MagicBand to deduct one Quick Service credit as payment. If you follow the rules, it really is as simple as that. You can see the menu choices at: http://www.portorleans.org/riversidemill.php

Where it gets complicated is if you try to mix and match a few 'snacky' items from the bakery, or a cereal bowl plus fruit, etc. You can't do that on a QS credit, as those would each count as one snack. That's a big failing of the system for real-world guests to be honest - you'd think you could select (say) three basic snack items and one drink and get them to process the lot through as one QS credit, but they can't do it.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 03-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #1640
AmyKat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evcollins View Post
We don't want to use our Table Service
It is technically impossible for you to use a Table Service credit at Rivermill food court. Rivermill is strictly counter service or snacks.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #1641
SuzieN
DIS Veteran

My daughter and I just got back from a wonderful stay at POR on March 4. Darn it!!! Anyhow, we only got breakfast at the resort twice as we preferred to just eat an early lunch. Both times I payed out of pocket rather than waste a CS credit because I figured that my credits went farther when used for meals in the parks. Breakfast usually only cost me about $15 so it was a much better deal to use those credits for meals that would cost around $40 for the 2 of us. Hope you have a fantastic trip!
SuzieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #1642
WildReekies
Mouseketeer

The only thing holding me back from getting excited about our upcoming trip in OCT... Is this resort : ( the QS options look great, the rooms look adorable, the pool looks awesome! My kids are young and everyone keeps saying we will need a mid day break... I'm worried the busses will break my husbands spirit lol! Can anyone give some tips to make the bus system more tolerable? We will have 1 double stroller during the day and bring an extra single stroller along for the evening shows. Please help me get excited.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #1643
JollyHoliday
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildReekies View Post
The only thing holding me back from getting excited about our upcoming trip in OCT... Is this resort : ( the QS options look great, the rooms look adorable, the pool looks awesome! My kids are young and everyone keeps saying we will need a mid day break... I'm worried the busses will break my husbands spirit lol! Can anyone give some tips to make the bus system more tolerable? We will have 1 double stroller during the day and bring an extra single stroller along for the evening shows. Please help me get excited.
We have found the busses to be crowded at other resorts also. We have had standing room only on busses during our stays at AKL, YC, Poly and Pop. Mid day breaks on any of the busses will be less crowded then the morning or night.

Keep in mind if you rent a car you still will have to park in the parking lot then take a tram and for MK tram then ferry.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #1644
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
The buses are the same as they are at every WDW resort. No better, no worse.

To try and make things a little easier, keep the strollers as empty as possible. Take along a small tote bag that will hold all of the stuff that accumulates in the bottom of your stroller. Empty the strollers before the bus shows up, don't wait for it and then be in a hurry trying to pull the kids out, empty the stroller of all of the stuff, and then folding them up.

Don't be surprised if your kids don't need a break at the resort. Not all do. Some are able to nap in their strollers, some just get enough rest to keep going and not be cranky. See how it goes, don't force a resort break if it isn't really needed. Maybe for your family going and getting an ice cream and watching the world go by for a while would be enough of a break.

If it is at all possible, rent a stroller in the parks. It is not cheap, but it does save the hassle of hauling them onto the bus. And maybe having to try and stand and hold the strollers and your kids.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #1645
jenninaustin
Mouseketeer

Your post inspired me...

To find my pictures from our trip in 2009. We loved staying at POR - especially loved the boat to DTD. The horse drawn carriage ride was HEAVEN for all of us on our first night. The kids sipped on hot chocolate in their refillable mugs as we road in the carriage. Does it get any better than that? I think not.

But our June 2014 visit was
Trip Report:June 2014 - "Ok, Mom...we'll let you meet a princess..."

Jenn
JennspirationTs
jenninaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #1646
WildReekies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
The buses are the same as they are at every WDW resort. No better, no worse. To try and make things a little easier, keep the strollers as empty as possible. Take along a small tote bag that will hold all of the stuff that accumulates in the bottom of your stroller. Empty the strollers before the bus shows up, don't wait for it and then be in a hurry trying to pull the kids out, empty the stroller of all of the stuff, and then folding them up. Don't be surprised if your kids don't need a break at the resort. Not all do. Some are able to nap in their strollers, some just get enough rest to keep going and not be cranky. See how it goes, don't force a resort break if it isn't really needed. Maybe for your family going and getting an ice cream and watching the world go by for a while would be enough of a break. If it is at all possible, rent a stroller in the parks. It is not cheap, but it does save the hassle of hauling them onto the bus. And maybe having to try and stand and hold the strollers and your kids.

Thanks for the tips!! Knowing they are chaotic everywhere helps a ton.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #1647
jenninaustin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh - and when we really needed to get back quickly or get to a park quickly, we grabbed a cab. It's often worth it to avoid the stress or if kids are really exhausted at the end of the night

But our June 2014 visit was
Trip Report:June 2014 - "Ok, Mom...we'll let you meet a princess..."

Jenn
JennspirationTs
jenninaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:33 AM   #1648
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Also, for general tips about using the buses at Port Orleans, please see www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Buses and www.portorleans.org/buses.php. The biggest tip is to avoid peak times if you can (especially the crush right after fireworks; either leave the park before the fireworks end, or wait in the park for a while after and let the crowds die down).

Andre

Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #1649
byerspc
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at PO FQ in 2011, 2012 and had 3 kids at the time with the afternoon breaks etc. We have gone in the Sept/Oct time frame. In general, we have found if you are on the buses early for park opening and then come back after lunch the buses have been fine. I have had to stand but my wife and kids have always had a seat. The evening trip out is usually not a problem either but the trip back can be busy depending on when you go. One of the nice things about the POR resorts is the number of stops and closeness to the parks. We have done CBR and CSR and prefer POR to those. We like PO FQ the best but because our family has grown we will be staying at Riverside this year.

Hope this helps.

Coronado Fall '09

Caribbean beach Fall '10

POFQ Fall '11

POFQ Fall '12

POR Fall '14

Last edited by byerspc; 04-08-2014 at 02:32 PM.
byerspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #1650
shystalips
Mouseketeer

I'm starting to think about PO riverside also, but I am also worried about the buses and distance to the food court, south depot, etc. If I book river view magnolia terrace, how is the accessibility to the above. Last trip I absolutely fell in love w/ POFQ but that's probably not in the cards for FD. TIA everyone
shystalips is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: