Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

The "I've Waited 15 Months" Non Surprise Spring Break Trip Report/Clsg Thts 5/13

I’m baaaaaack! Yes this is early for me to start a pre trippie, I am still 20 days out. Last time I began with just 4 days to go. I figured though why not start now, we are almost to the teens! Yes the TEENS!

My last trip report was so much fun to write and re-live. I enjoyed getting to know my readers and appreciated that you laughed and cried along with me. I hope some of you find your way back here.

Once again I will raise my right hand, with pointer, tall man and ring finger all at attention, you know that old Girl Scout promise, and swear to have this trip report wrapped up within a month of our arrival home. That would be April 16th. I think I missed my deadline by a few days last time but man I tried, I really, really tried! I’ll give it my best again. I really like trip reports that move along. Nothing so sad as getting involved in a report, getting to know your cast, sitting on the edge of your seat to see what happens next and then….. nuttin’. No updates, no sign of life, nuttin’. For sometimes months. By then I have forgotton who is who and what they were doing, where they were staying, what they had for dessert last night. So I try my best to put my money where my mouth is and move this trippie along.

If you haven’t read my last one, take a gander. It was a great trip, a surprise trip for our 3 kids. We have the big “reveal” on video in one of the first couple of posts. Priceless.

The cast is a little bit different this time. Some new additions that should make things interesting and one special someone missing. Here's a hint, he's the one whose favorite ride last trip was the 747 Northbound to Boston.

I’ll be back soon to give you the run down of who’s who!

Here are a list of the actual Trip Report posts if it makes it easier for you!

************************************************** *************************************
Page 7, Post 99 Day One Monday March 10
Page 8, Post 112 Day One Monday March 10 Continued
Page 9, Post 122 Day Two Tuesday March 11
Page 9, Post 129, Day Two Tuesday March 11 P&PP
Page 10, Post 143, Tuesday March 11 P&PP continued
Page 11, Post 157, Wednesday March 12
Page 12, Post 175 Wednesday March 12 continued
Page 13, Post 182, Wednesday March 12 continued
Page 13, Post 192, Wednesday March 12
Page 14, Post 207, Thursday March 13
Page 15, Post 214, Thursday March 13 continued
Page 16, Post 232, Thursday March 13 continued
Page 17, Post 244 , Thursday March 13 wrapping up
Page 18, Post 261, Friday March 14
Page 18, Post 268, Friday March 14 continued
Page 19, Post 275, Friday March 14, Cali Grill
Page 20, Post 289, Friday March 14, Cali Grill continued
Page 21, Post 301, Saturday March 15
Page 22, Post 318, Saturday March 15 continued
Page 23, Post 338, Saturday March 15 Coral Reef
Page 24, Post 352, Sunday March 16
Page 25, Post 365, Sunday March 16 Continued

Allyson

Last edited by MomofCKJ; 05-13-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
stagemomx3
DIS Veteran

You know I'm in!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
DiamondDiva305
Mouseketeer

I'm on board

Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
CruisingCamper
DIS Veteran

We'll be there with you!! I can't wait to read your report, and follow along with my own plans!!
2014- Disney's Saratoga Springs Feb
2013- Art of Animation Nov, Disney Fantasy Dec, Fort Wilderness May, Fort Wilderness March
2012- Yacht Club Oct, Fort Wilderness April
2011- Fort Wilderness March, Beach Club Nov, Disney Magic Dec, Polynesian Dec
2010- Fort Wilderness April
2009- Disney's Swan Aug, Fort Wilderness May, Fort Wilderness March
2008- Disney Magic Dec, Polynesian Dec, Caribbean Beach March
2006- Saratoga Springs Feb, Wilderness Lodge Jan
Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
TheDISneyFamily
°O° DIS Friendship Pixie °O°
I call it the Save & Splurge!
We're ready to meet some DIS'ers!

Hey Allyson! It's so great to see another TR from you!!! I can't wait!

-Michelle

Home Sweet Home - BWV - I'm going back to my happy place!

***DIS/TFW Friendship Pixie***
Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
LovintheLodge
DIS Veteran

I'm in. I really enjoyed your trip report and remember that your husband wasn't going to go next time...looking forward to the scoop and a new trip report!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
MomofCKJ

The Cast of Characters

Ahem, here we go!

Mom, 38, that would be me. Part time church secretary and while I used to sell children's artwork I am afraid I pretty much hung up the paintbrush last year. I still take occasional special orders but for now that chapter is closed. Ebay fees and USPS fees on oversized boxes pretty much drove the nail in that coffin. I love all things Disney and the last trip awakened the FREAK in me that had lay dormant for so long. Nowadays I pretty much subscribe to the philosophy that life is what happens in between Disney trips and every penny I get in my little hands goes in the proverbial Disney jar. I am constantly quizzing my kids on "What is the number of the day?" (days till our next trip) and bringing up memories from the last trip, "Remember, remember at the Magic Kingdom when we......". Aside from Disney I love surfing the web, knitting and a nice Chardonnay.

Here is a photo of DH and I before we attended a costume party this past Halloween. We went as a King and Queen. Gosh I know how much he loves when I share pictures like this!

Belle, DD age 10, She is my oldest, my first born. She is in 5th grade and smart as a whip. She has made High Honors every term since they started recognizing that in the 4th grade. School comes easy to her and for that we are thankful. I hope she stays as interested in learning as she is now. She loves math the most and is a voracious reader. Hence the moniker of Belle. She is our smart brunette independant gal with a little princess thrown in. Oh but it isn't all bluebirds and bunnies. She gives me a run for my money. She can sling that sassy attitude, of course only with me, and we have our moments. I am counting on her to be a help to me this trip and keep that wee attitude in check. Her favorite parts of the last trip were the thrill rides, the faster the better.

Bashful, DD age 8, She is our shy middle child. Quiet and reserved with new people but not so quiet when she is just with us. She has a quirky almost dark sense of humor about her which can throw you as she just looks so petite and innocent and sweet. Her number one passion in this whole world? Horses. The girl loves horses. Has been riding for 3.5 years and would spend her whole life in a barn if she could. She is the one of my cherubs that looks most like me. I kind of like that. Her favorite parts of the last trip? The thrill rides (see a pattern here) and probably holding the rhino poop at Animal Kingdom (it was dried, calm down!).

Here are the girls:

Goofy, DS age 5, Need I say more? Goofy is the light and joy and silliness of our life. He also can make me want to go at times. He hasn't changed much since the last trip. He still loves to talk. All the time. To everyone. These days that would be his Kindergarten teacher, bless her soul. He started full time school this year and is doing great. He is so bright, much like his older sisters, and doing first grade work. Yup, I'm bragging. It's my trippie, I'm allowed! He just talks too much. What a surprise! He is full of passion and zest for life. He will talk as easily with an adult as a child and seems like an older soul in a 5 year old body. His latest favorites are playing the Wii and he's the one to beat in our house for Bowling. He is also very into Star Wars and can't wait to spend his hard saved cash at the Star Wars shop in DHS. His favorite part of the last trip? You got it, the thrill rides, the faster and darker the better.

Now we come to our missing character. There will be no Grumpy on this trip. At least not Grumpy my DH. He is not a Disney fan, poor confused man. He just doesn't get it the way you or I do. It's not magical to him. *gasp* The horror! Don't get me wrong, he's a wonderful man, husband and father. He just misses the mark with the Mouse.

So he goes every March on a l-o-n-g trip with his work to somewhere far, far away. He works at a boarding school and while I tease him about these "pleasure trips" I do know it must be work taking 14 or so teenage boys to places like Thailand or South Africa. Regardless he is gone for a few weeks, halfway around the world usually and we are left behind. Needless to say the kids and I have grown to hate the month of March.

So what do you get when you have a Disney dissing DH who leaves you for half the month of March and a Mom with 3 Disney Loving Kids who hate being left behind? Throw in a Grandmother turning 60 in March and looks to me like you have a trip!

Yes that is what happened. It just fit. Why not go again when he was away. He'll be in Peru this year, visiting Cuzco, seeing Lake Titicaca (I must be spelling that wrong!), visiting Macchu Piccu and boating on the Amazon. We'll be touring the world our way, a little Space travel, a little country hopping of our own, wildlife galore and a little movie magic too.

So, gosh I haven't gotton any less long winded in the last 15 months have I? So who else is coming, I said there were some new folks a joining us.

Grammy, what can we call Grammy, except Grammy. I've wracked my brain to think of what character would epitomize her and there isn't one. She is one of a kind. She has a sarcastic humor to her, likes to joke and tease and is not warm and fuzzy. No way. But she loves us and especially her three only grandchildren. She'd move heaven and earth for them. She is turning 60 and that is the purpose of this trip. To show her, who does everything for everybody else, a good time. She enjoys Disney but hasn't been in over 10 years.

And Papa, who can't be called Grumpy because, well that is my DH, but they could duke it out for the title. It would be a close call. What shall we call him? Eeyore might work because he is a glass is completely empty kind of guy. Grumpy 2? I think we'll just stick with Papa but you get the idea. Papa is not a Disney fan but he's a fan of Grammy so he is coming along for the ride. He is my stepfather and has been for 30 years. He has never been a kid sort of person and while he also adores his grandchildren spending long periods of time with them can grate on his nerves. Long periods usually consist of an hour. So here we go spending almost a week together! Oh this ought to be good.

No pictures of Grammy and Papa yet. They are camera phobic but we'll get some on the trip for sure.

This has gone on far tooooo long so I am going to close it out. I'll be back to give you some details on the trip, some of our planning and the reaction I got from Papa when I cheerily told him the other day that we only had 24 days to go.

Until next time.....
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

Allyson, you ROCK - I'm in awe of your girl scout promise to keep things timely and am SOoooo unreasonably excited for your upcoming trip. It sounds like it's going to be a good one.

I went to a private school in MA, and my school also had this 2 week travel/study thing in March as well. Of course, I never got to travel and always ended up doing some weird class on-campus, so I can appreciate your feelings on the subject of March. It must be an exhausting way to travel for your DH - I know the kind of trouble my contemporaries got into on those trips, and I can't imagine it's easy on the faculty. I'm glad you're getting a WDW trip out of it this year, though!

And for the record, you're within a month of departure , nay, three weeks! - how is that too early for a pre-trippie?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
stagemomx3
DIS Veteran

Cute kids! Love the picture of you and DH.

I'm hoping that since we are going at the same time your Girl Scout promise will keep me in line to timely finish my trip report as well.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Hi Allyson, I lurked on your TR from last year and loved it so I am really looking forward to reading about your upcoming trip and I promise I will not lurk on this one.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #11
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Have a great trip!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
CruisingCamper
DIS Veteran

looking forward to more!!
2014- Disney's Saratoga Springs Feb
2013- Art of Animation Nov, Disney Fantasy Dec, Fort Wilderness May, Fort Wilderness March
2012- Yacht Club Oct, Fort Wilderness April
2011- Fort Wilderness March, Beach Club Nov, Disney Magic Dec, Polynesian Dec
2010- Fort Wilderness April
2009- Disney's Swan Aug, Fort Wilderness May, Fort Wilderness March
2008- Disney Magic Dec, Polynesian Dec, Caribbean Beach March
2006- Saratoga Springs Feb, Wilderness Lodge Jan
Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Jacklynn
Recently moved to Florida!

I have to say that I just got done reading your TR and I loved it! The only thing is I couldn't get the "reveal" video to work. It may be because your photo album thing is password protected or something I'm not sure.

Anyways, I'm excited to read another one from you! You are sooo close to your trip!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I went back to read your surprise trip report and have to say that the video is hysterical. I laughed so I hard I cried. You handled it really well, though, considering how long you'd planned and built up the moment in your head. And although I'm only partially through that trip report I can tell it was the trip of a lifetime. Can't wait to hear more about this trip.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
MomofCKJ

Chel, DiamondDiva,Cruising Camper, thanks for joining me!

Michelle! So good to see you! I had no idea you had another trippie going. I just caught up and posted you on it! I love reading about your trips and your great family!

Lovinthelodge, Lifelong Dreamer, thanks for coming back for this trip!

CorrinaK, recognize your name from the WISH boards! Where in MA did you go to school?

2excited2sleep, love your screen name!

Jacklynn, not sure why the video didn't work for you?

Thanks for chiming in! On with the show!

So how exactly did we end up with the March 10-16 dates? Well after our Christmas trip I was aching to go back. Aching. You know the feeling. Just being so sad to be back in reality and the only cure aside from spending every moment on the DISboards is to plan another trip to the World. So I had the idea of going in March because it coincided with Grumpy’s trip. My Mom turns 60 on March 17th so I thought it would be a great time to celebrate that as well.

First I got Grumpy’s travel dates from his work. He would be gone March 10-22. I had hoped it would be a little earlier in the month. I was hoping first week in March for some smaller crowds, especially with Easter falling in March as well as Spring Break. This would have to do however. We decided to plan to leave the same day as he was. Plus March 14th is a Professional Development Day at my kid’s school so they will only have to miss 4 days of class instead of 5. I don’t mind the little ones (K and 2nd grade) missing school but 5th grade will be a bit more work to make up so having only 4 days to worry about is better.

When I first asked my Mom, Grammy, if she wanted to come it was a yes. Then it became a no. A no? Who says no to a trip to Disney World? Crazy people. Finally I asked one more time when it was time to get airline tickets and it became a yes again. Why so wishy washy? I still don’t know. But she said yes, I bought the plane tickets and it was a sealed done deal baby.

I got our tickets on Delta back in April. I was hoping for $200 and when $218 came up I thought it was close enough. They were non stops, decent times and I am glad I purchased when I did. I haven’t seen them get that low since for non stop flights. As much as I said I wouldn’t fly Delta again they really had the best times for us coming out of Boston. Non stop is super important to me and it trumped the frustration of dealing with how often Delta makes minute changes to your reservation, doesn’t tell you and has you calling back each time to get your seats claimed again. For a little savings I would deal with that.

So dates are picked, airline tickets purchased. Now what? Well a place to stay right? I got a hold of Jessica at The Magic For Less, my favorite travel agent to work with. I knew that I wanted to try and stay at a moderate. I loved Pop Century but I had a feeling it would be too loud and busy for Papa. There is pressure being the planner for a trip for more than your immediate little circle of a family. Trying to pick the best thing to please everyone, it is not always easy. Especially when one of your travelers has the patience of a shark in a feeding frenzy. So I thought it had to be a Mod. Looking them over Port Orleans French Quarter called out to me. It was small, it was talked about as quiet and peaceful and my Mom has always had an interest in visiting New Orleans. BINGO! Just for kicks I had her quote me for the Contemporary too.

She wrote back with both quotes. POFQ, very nice. CR, pick me up off the floor! ROFL, whoa what a price difference. As much as I would love the convenience of being right there (and I did stay there with my Mom when I was 5 years old so it would have a sentimental value going on) there was no way this was going to happen.

Because did I mention when I told Grumpy I wanted to take this trip that he wasn’t keen on it? That he kept saying “You were JUST there” and “I don’t think we can spend that kind of money again so soon”. And that I countered with “Well, I’ll figure out a way to pay for it all by myself!”. Did I mention I work 15 hours a week as a church secretary? How on Earth did I imagine I would pull this one off? *GULP* While the POFQ figure was daunting enough the CR figure was way out of my league. If I failed to be able to fund this on my own and had to crawl back to Grumpy with my hands outstretched I wanted my request to be on the more reasonable side!

So we booked POFQ, standard view. I am staying in a room with 3 kids, a view is not necessary for me. We also got 7 day hopper passes so that we could hit a park on our arrival day and departure day if we choose. And for kicks we threw in the dining plan too. We loved it in 2006 and even with the changes in 2008 I like having almost all of our food pre-paid. Belle being 10 is an adult so she is costing me an arm and a leg for what I know she will end up eating but that’s okay. At least she can get something besides sugar free jello and make your own sundaes every day for dessert right?

I made all the arrangements with Jessica for our reservation and my parents. It was easy and my parents really preferred me just taking care of all the details.

So there you have it, how we ended up with March 10-16 at Port Orleans French Quarter. I’m excited to see the resort and I do hope we like it. It is a bit of a bummer that the pool is closed for rehab but a week in Disney without a pool sure beats a week at home in the cold, also without a pool. You have to look on the bright side right?

Next Up……Let’s talk food baby and how on Earth did she pay for this?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: