Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #106
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

Happy belated Memorial Day Weekend everyone!

You know, we tried to talk friends into joining us for this cruise this weekend, but I have to say that the cost is really becoming an issue for people. It really does work out to be roughly equivalent to a similar land based vacation, but people really were having some difficulty thinking about such a large expense at this time. It's getting a little worrisome how deeply the strain on people's wallets is striking, including our own.

Didn't mean to start out on a depressing note. So, to lighten it up, did anyone else cruise talk this weekend - oh, and in a good way, not my depressing way?

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #107
jontheref
Mouseketeer

Well I have to say its cruise talk everyday in this house!!!

Has anyone else done this exact same cruise itinerary before???

Would be great to hear about each port.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlegazer View Post
Happy belated Memorial Day Weekend everyone!

You know, we tried to talk friends into joining us for this cruise this weekend, but I have to say that the cost is really becoming an issue for people. It really does work out to be roughly equivalent to a similar land based vacation, but people really were having some difficulty thinking about such a large expense at this time. It's getting a little worrisome how deeply the strain on people's wallets is striking, including our own.

Didn't mean to start out on a depressing note. So, to lighten it up, did anyone else cruise talk this weekend - oh, and in a good way, not my depressing way?

Previous Disney Visits: 14 between us!!! soon to be more!
jontheref is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #108
bdwk1997
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref View Post
Well I have to say its cruise talk everyday in this house!!!

Has anyone else done this exact same cruise itinerary before???

Would be great to hear about each port.......
We just did this itinerary on 4/19. I believe there are a few others who did as well.

1988 Poly, 1994 Dixie Landing, 1996 Beach/Yacht, 1997 DVC, 1997 Old Key West, 1997 Boardwalk/GrandFloridian, 1998 Vero/Boardwalk, 1999 Beach Club/Grand Floridian, 2000 Boardwalk, 2001 Grand Floridian, 2002 Boardwalk, 2003 Boardwalk, 2004 Beach/Yacht, 2005 Aruba, 2005 Beach Club Villas, 2006 Aruba, 2007Boardwalk, Wonder, 2007 Dolphin/Swan, 2008 Beach/Yacht, 7n Western, 2009 4n Wonder, Beach/Yacht
bdwk1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #109
castlegazer

Oh yes, we have a lot of experienced Western Itineraries on here I believe! And YogiBigDog is a font of information!

Ask away! This is my very first Western Itinerary too!

I am struggling with Grand Cayman.

I really wanted to take a 5 person private charter sailboat, but I - believe this or not - put in a reservation form for it and it was already booked OVER A YEAR OUT! Yikes! I was into the allure of being able to go to Rum Point, the Sand Bar, Star Fish Beach, and to the Mangroves all in one trip. It sounded heavenly. They offered the next size boat up, but it was at the tipping point for me in cost. I just couldn't justify it.

Now I don't exactly know what to do with my small kids who probably will be scared to get in the water with the sting rays - but I totally want to see them, love to see fish underwater, are so fair I am worried about simply doing a beach day. I am totally uninterested in Hell and the Turtle Farm.

We are doing Chankanaab on Cozumel and would love people to come with us - we will just be taking a cab over.

Key West we will just walk around a little and then back on the boat.

So given all this, I want to get out on the water in Grand Cayman - maybe like a glass bottom boat trip or semi submarine. This is kind of where I am with my thoughts on this.

Any insights would be much appreciated!

(I am the planner in the family)

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

Old 05-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #110
rala
Earning My Ears

We did it too at 4/19.

At Grand Cayman we did the stingray snorkeling tour with captain marvin. It was really a great experience and we will do it again at the next cruise.

At Key West we walked around and visited the butterfly farm.

At Cozumel we did the tulum ruins tour. This was an hard day. It was very hot and the bus ride took a long time. The time to visit the ruins were only about 2 hours. We planned to got to the beach, but we didn't have enough time. I liked this trip, but I'm very interesting in the maya culture. My husband didn't this trip.
rala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #111
jontheref
Mouseketeer

Well when I went to Nassau before we didn't do any particular excursion just went off into town and explored so I think we will probably do an excursion on one or some of these stops.
Also we didn't do any of the snorkelling tasks as I am a wimp and do not get paid enough to get cold!!! (Yes I know its the caribbean!!!)

So I think I will have to get a bit braver this time.... If I can manage it!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rala View Post
We did it too at 4/19.

At Grand Cayman we did the stingray snorkeling tour with captain marvin. It was really a great experience and we will do it again at the next cruise.

At Key West we walked around and visited the butterfly farm.

At Cozumel we did the tulum ruins tour. This was an hard day. It was very hot and the bus ride took a long time. The time to visit the ruins were only about 2 hours. We planned to got to the beach, but we didn't have enough time. I liked this trip, but I'm very interesting in the maya culture. My husband didn't this trip.

Previous Disney Visits: 14 between us!!! soon to be more!
jontheref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #112
castlegazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rala View Post
I'd love to do the ruins, but it just seems like you said, a little too much. I am going for the fake ruins over at Chankanaab instead. seems about right for a 4 and 7 year old.

jontheref, we LOVE snorkeling! We don't get to do it as much as we used to because of the kids and wanting to do things all together, but you really should experience it. The only issue we have is that my husband wears glasses, and we have never invested in the expensive perscription goggles for him to wear, so things are a little bleary down there for him. But he still really likes to do it. Being cold is not going to be a problem for you, trust me!

Old 05-31-2008, 05:05 AM   #113
bdwk1997
Mouseketeer

Castlegazer, good luck with the surgery this week

1988 Poly, 1994 Dixie Landing, 1996 Beach/Yacht, 1997 DVC, 1997 Old Key West, 1997 Boardwalk/GrandFloridian, 1998 Vero/Boardwalk, 1999 Beach Club/Grand Floridian, 2000 Boardwalk, 2001 Grand Floridian, 2002 Boardwalk, 2003 Boardwalk, 2004 Beach/Yacht, 2005 Aruba, 2005 Beach Club Villas, 2006 Aruba, 2007Boardwalk, Wonder, 2007 Dolphin/Swan, 2008 Beach/Yacht, 7n Western, 2009 4n Wonder, Beach/Yacht
bdwk1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 AM   #114
brushnfloss
:)

Hi from NH

Castlegazer, thanks for the invite to this thread! I actually THOUGHT I just posted a "Hello" here, but I don't see it so I must have clicked where I shouldn't have!! heh heh heh Anyway...
Hi 4/18/09 Cruisers!! This will be our very first cruise EVER! We're so excited! It'll be my hubby and I and our 2 sons (they'll be 8 and 10 at the time of the trip). We're also travelling with our good friends (Hi Maria!), also from NH. We've been skulking around reading various threads for a while now, so it's nice to finally join in on the fun here! Now I don't have to just think about the cruise continuously and talk about the cruise continuously...I can also type about the cruise continuously!!
brushnfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #115
tw2
Earning My Ears

Jon the ref - cruise

Hi fella,

Me and the misses did that cruise, fantastic. what can i say.

We picked up some stuff from the ports.
Let me know and ill send you some copies.

You will have a fab time, good for you... lol

Cant PM cause of my post count or whatever...

TW
tw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #116
tw2
Earning My Ears

us ref

very cool, your a ref over here and US. I'm impressed.
Must be a great life, good for you.

Last edited by tw2; 06-06-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo
tw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #117
tinkerbelle77
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! We just booked this cruise with a little arm twisting from Jontheref!! Just kidding, he really didnt have to do or say much to convince us to book! We cruised with Jon when he got engaged, and he invited us along this time with him! It's just myself and DBF going this time, the kids are staying at home! I have glanced over the thread, and noticed you are doing fish extenders, this is great! This will be our 7th cruise (including the 2 we have booked in September), and have done fish extenders on all but one!

This will be the 1st western for us, we have done eastern, 3 and 4 night and member cruises...So I am excited.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #118
castlegazer

Hi everyone! I am back!

Surgery went just fine - thanks for the good wishes!

I was laid up for most of last week, but am back at work today. I actually thought I would be able to be on the boards more while I was home, but I could not sit at the computer.

Good to see Jon is working magic getting more along on the trip!

Welcome!!!

brushnfloss

tinkerbelle77

and I think tw2??? Are you going on this cruise too? Put up a higher post count by joining along jibber jabbering with us!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #119
cctimmom
Mouseketeer

OMG how have I missed so much? I wasn't getting any notifications.

Random comments since my last time here based on previous posts.....

Totally missed about the surgery... but glad to hear it went well.

What IS a fish extender? I saw the pic but couldn't figure out what it is (sorry... newbie here).

I still have to make some payments on the cruise. We have only put the $1K deposit down. DOH!

I did the the Tulum ruins on the RCCL cruise MH and I did in April... when the song says "can you feel it, HOT HOT HOT?"... I was like YES YES (gasp) YES. But i have to say, it was absolutely gorgeous and am thankful we did it. But this next trip, when the kids are with us, it'll be beaches... (or trying to find dolphins to swim with, instead of sting rays... channeling Steve Irwin... shudders! (yes... I'm a wuss)
cctimmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #120
castlegazer

Nope - the thought has also crossed my mind too.

I think I will let the experts describe the fish extenders - but essentially they are pockets that extend off your fish door number which is at the side of the door that the cruise staff use to provide you with notes - it's like a clip. Exhanges will have fellow cruisers putting little gifts into it or notes during the cruise. It's simply a way to further connect and communicate with your fellow DIS'rs while cruising. Hope that serves as a quicky answer and the experts can elaborate.

I had my gallbladder out last Monday. Not too much of a big deal. Thanks!

Do not panic! I only have a deposit down - DCL has had my deposit for two years now. No need to provide them with further money to earn interest on. I don't provide them the final payment until final payment day. I have a special savings account entitled "Travel" that is where I put the money to pay that final payment off on my credit card immediately after it is made. This seems to work and is why I need a couple years between cruises.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: