Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #316
su_kraft
If I plan it, will you come?

Chiming in... We did the WBTA last year and had Shirley and her team build survival kits and cooler for our drive back to Atlanta. It was AWESOME! They worked with the rental car agency and were able to deliver it there. It was perfect! Snacks, drinks, activity books...

Other people in line to get their cars watched as we peeked inside and they wanted one too!

I was worried about the proce, but knowing that I didn't have to hit a convenience store find a cooler, etc. or but it at a port and haul it around made it well worth the value. Not to menntion the "this saved moms sanity" factor... THANKS AGAIN SHIRLEY!!!
su_kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #317
snelsonbrown
"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." R.L. Stevenson

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_kraft View Post
Chiming in... We did the WBTA last year and had Shirley and her team build survival kits and cooler for our drive back to Atlanta. It was AWESOME! They worked with the rental car agency and were able to deliver it there. It was perfect! Snacks, drinks, activity books...

Other people in line to get their cars watched as we peeked inside and they wanted one too!

I was worried about the proce, but knowing that I didn't have to hit a convenience store find a cooler, etc. or but it at a port and haul it around made it well worth the value. Not to menntion the "this saved moms sanity" factor... THANKS AGAIN SHIRLEY!!!
I remember this one very well and it took me back to when my children were very young (all 5 of them) and would start from the time they got in the station wagon (before auto TV, computer games etc) the questions "how much longer", can we stop, I am hungry, gotta go to the bathroom (of course none would go all at the same time) etc" - at that time the only games provided was looking at car tags to see how many states they could find OR the ABC game - by the time we got to Key West (8 hours from here) - the only thing that kept me from throwing them over the bridge was knowing we were almost "home" and my daddy and mama had stuff to entertain them - so Becca you are most welcomed and it was my sincere pleasure as usual AND BTW thanks for the memories
email [/email] snelsonbrown@aol.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/PerfectGiftCapeCanaveral

http://www.facebook.com/#!/DISWelcomeCenter

CLICK AT THE LINK FOR INFORMATION ON CAPE CANAVERAL AND COCOA BEACH THREAD.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520273

CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK ON GIFT BASKETS BY SHIRLEY

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1723220
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Deals: Treat yourself to a sweet deal on popular laptops!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Last edited by snelsonbrown; 04-21-2011 at 10:04 AM.
snelsonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #318
disneyfool_1202
The countdown has begun!!

I am doing the dance right now!!! I just ordered a double pirate basket for my kids for our 5/29 cruise. Brooke was AWESOME to work with - especially since I'm dealing with food allergies AND a kid who is so rigid he will ONLY drink from a juice sac if it says "Kook Aid Jammers" - even if the same bloody stuff is in Capri Suns!!!
I can't WAIT to see it! The kids are going to be SO surprised!!!!!

DisneyFool
Denise
disneyfool_1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #319
pjstevens
Had our DFTW Vow Renewal on the Wonder for our 25th!
Now the proud grandparents of Isabella Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamma View Post
Not cheap. It's not in the picture but I also got my husband a "Beers of the World" package and a small crystal block (hard to explain). The total for all of it was $135. I can't remember the breakdown about how much of it was for the beer. Sorry. There is no way I could put this together myself, get it in the room and surprise my family. For me it was worth it.
I have to say that as a former customer of Shirley's, yes, it might be a little pricey, but so WORTH it! It was just hubby and I the first cruise and he was so tickled that I thought to get him somethings he'd like and not be able to get on board. This year we are cruising with our kids (two adults) and I'll be ordering again! Shirley offers not only an awesome service, she's been there to help many of Dis-ers when things just go wrong. She's given others her personal phone number and constantly updates the one thread with tips for the Port area! I was bummed that we didn't get to actually 'meet' her on our last cruise since we got into port on a Saturday afternoon and their shop was closed when we drove by later. Hoping since we are cruising a weekday this year, we'll get to go by and say "HI"!
Our First Trip HOME (May 09) DFTW VR (Sept 08) Christmas 2007 August 2007
Off-site 1992; off-site 1999 (w/o the kids) off-site 2000; All Star Movies 2005; Pop 2006; Pop Aug-2007; All Star Music suites Dec 2007; DFTW – DCL – Pop 2008; Pop – Jan 2009; AKV – May 2009; Grand Californian Aug 2009; BWV – Jan 2010; AKV Dec 2010; AKV – Jan 2011; Disney Dream/AKV Sep 2011; Dec 2011 AKV; Magic-Canada June 2012; Fantasy-Eastern Carribean December 2012; SSR August 2013; Wonder-Alaska June 2014
pjstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #320
disneykelly73
Mouseketeer

Soooo excited!!

I just ordered a basket for our trip on Mother's day!!! I ordered one for my dh's first trip back in Oct of 2006 and since this is our babies first cruise, I ordered another!!

I went with a giant sand pail and drinks and snacks, as well as added on some booze for the adults!!

Can not wait!! Will post pictures when we get back!!

DVC member since 1999
Boardwalk Villas
disneykelly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #321
JSClemsonFan
Mouseketeer

After reading all the reviews here, I was so excited about ordering our basket. But after it was delivered, I felt it was a bad investment to our cruise fun.

I spoke with Brooke when I ordered. The first thing I told her was that we lived in Florida and had plenty of sand toys. However, I wanted the boys to have a few for Castaway Cay. I told her that I would leave the toys behind for other kids to play with b/c we have so many at home. I just didn't want to spend Disney prices for their sand toys...and I didn't want to lug sand toys in our bags. Brooke said they had a wonderful dump truck for the sand that would make an awesome base. (I agree, it did.) And it had some sand toys in it. While we were talking, I felt as if Brooke may not have heard the beginning of the conversation b/c she was talking about the sand toys in the truck. So I again, said I didn't want a ton. She said this was awesome and my kids would love it.

Next in the conversation, I had made a list of things my husband, my kids, and myself would like. After reading her the list, she said I would be at $150. I was trying to stay around $100. So I removed items that were for me. We got the basket down to $135.

So when the basket came, you can imagine my disappointment. It looked like an Easter leftover...sorry...but it did. The truck had an Easter egg in the driver's seat with an old lollipop. The truck had a ton of sand toys -- not what I wanted. There were Ninja silly bands...off brand I might add to the actual Silly Bandz and what does Ninja have to do with a Disney cruise? There was one plastic rabbit...again, felt like an Easter leftover. Brooke had mentioned a water bottle was already in the basket and she'd add a second one. I asked her not to...I didn't want to pay for something additional and I knew we wouldn't use them. Well, look...we got two water bottles...so again, not what I ordered. I left them in the stateroom this morning...well, never use them. Plus, they were a cheap type plastic from Oriental Trading (the sticker was on the back).

Things I did ask for that were included...a Golf Digest for my husband, 4 pirate tatoos, 2 glow necklaces and 2 boxes of "movie" candy, bubbles.

I had asked for Smarties (my kids favorites)...but there weren't any. Crayons and coloring books for the boys -- one of each and an off brand crayon. You can buy a box of 24 Crayola for $1. I didn't think this would be the quality when spending $100++ for a basket. Plus, I thought there would be a book for each boy.

I know it wasn't purposeful for me not to like the basket...but it wasn't the quality I thought it would be. I guess if I had wanted a load of sand toys that I'd be happy...but if you remove the sand toys from the basket (b/c I didn't want that many). $100++ was A LOT to pay for what we got...and I do mean A LOT!

My plan for our next cruise is to pack my own basket and ship it to the cruise weeks ahead. I'll get the quality I want, items I want, and it will be less even with the shipping.

Here are photos of what we got:

And now you can see the load of sand toys. The Easter egg was also in the drivers seat of this with old candy.

the bottles that I asked not be included b/c I would have preferred to spend money on something else.

Non Disney & off brand silly bands and what appears to be a leftover Easter rabbit.

And then two boxes of movie candy. I was hoping for something to "knock my socks off" like the reactions other were giving. But it didn't happen for us.
JSClemsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #322
mousejunkie98
DIS Veteran

I ordered a pirate basket for some friends who were on the 5/5 Dream cruise and they were THRILLED with it! They loved it so much, in fact, that I just ordered a tote bag of goodies for my own family's 5/22 Dream sailing. I can't wait to see their faces Brooke is amazing to work with - so friendly and very helpful. The basket I ordered for my friends had to be nut-free and they were more than happy to help. I'll post pics when we get back (even though I'll be sooo sad to be home, lol).
Feb. 2013 Art of Animation / Nov. 2012 - Polynesian, Contemporary / May 2012 - Aulani / Dec. 2011 - POFQ / Sept. 2011 - Contemporary, Disney Dream, CSR / May, 2011 - Disney Dream, AKL, Boardwalk / Sept. 2010 - Disney Wonder / 2010 - Jan, Polynesian; June, CBR; Sept. AKL / 2006 - Fort Wilderness Cabin / 2001 & 2002 - offsite / 2000 - Wilderness Lodge / 1998 - Honeymoon at the Lodge! / 1995 - Wilderness Lodge / 1981 - 1st trip to WDW!
mousejunkie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #323
snelsonbrown
"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." R.L. Stevenson

I would like to share with you a little about Brooke - When Norm started having so many health issues, I knew that I needed help and to find someone that could fill those shoes, it would take someone very special for they would have to feel about people as I do - anyhow Brooke came into my life a very strange and unexpected way and I was to learn right from the beginning that she is the most amazing and positive young lady I have had the pleasure to meet and work with - She is honest and very loyal - she has been a single mom that raised her two children and kept a strong heart and belief in order for her son Chris to survive cancer on 3 different occasions - Brooke still keeps a smile on her face, a happy attitude and her son Chris - oh my gosh what a great young man of 15 years old - He has come in on occasions to hang out and he is so wise beyond his years.
LOVE THAT KID like he was my own grandkid - thanks for all the kindness shown to Brooke and now you know the real story and nope she nor I will ever lie to you, cheat you and will always be fair BUT we are human and can and do make mistakes so please just give us a call if we do ok? promise we will work it out -
Hugsssssssssssssss

Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #324
whamma
DIS Veteran

I am glad that this forum is here to share opinions about our experiences with this vendor. I also want to encourage everyone to contact Shirley and her staff directly if you are dissatisfied with their service. I feel like lately Shirley has had to defend her business on this forum--which is a choice she makes--but I also hope that the problems posted here about The Perfect Gift have already been shared with Shirley and her staff so they have the opportunity to make things right.

Just saying...
WDW with DVC: AKV- Jambo March 20-28, 2009, SSR July 10-17, 2009, BLT/AKV-Kidani Dec. 20-27, 2009, WL April 1-4, 2010, OKW July 25-31, 2010, BWV March 31-April 3, 2011, SSR August 9-16, 2011, BLT December 17-24, 2011, SSR July 31-August 6, 2012, POLY Sept. 6-9, 2012,BLT April 12-14, 2013, BCV/BLT July 19-27, 2014
DCL Cruises: Magic Western Caribbean March 22-29, 2008, Wonder 4-night Bahamas April 4-8, 2010, Dream 4-night Bahamas March 27-31, 2011, DCL Dream 4-night Bahamas April 14-18, 2013

Disneyland: GCV April 5-12, 2012, GCV March 22-28, 2014
Upcoming Trips: 1st Disney Princess Half Marathon BLT February 20-24, 2015, DCL Fantasy 7-night Eastern March 28-April 4, 2015
DVC member AKV 2008 BLT 2009
whamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #325
snelsonbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamma View Post
I am glad that this forum is here to share opinions about our experiences with this vendor. I also want to encourage everyone to contact Shirley and her staff directly if you are dissatisfied with their service. I feel like lately Shirley has had to defend her business on this forum--which is a choice she makes--but I also hope that the problems posted here about The Perfect Gift have already been shared with Shirley and her staff so they have the opportunity to make things right.

Just saying...
Hello whamma,
Thanks for your post, but in respect, its ok - folks have the right to express their feelings - the little rabbit was put simply because it was sorta of a puzzle and it was at no cost - it is like a puzzle, I didn't want to throw it away and looked at it as maybe an entertainment if for only a little while - there was no charge for it - I do a lot of shopping for folks that takes a lot of time and thought (AND NO NOT AT A DOLLAR STORE) - I wish folks would call us but I am ok with the posting for everyone has the right to express their thoughts one way or the other - as I have said so many times, perfect we are not, try to do the right thing? OH YES -Thanks again for the kindness - it is appreciated
Hugssssssssssssss to all
PS the reason I posted about Brooke is that I just wanted to share with everyone what a neat, brave and kind young lady she is and a blessing not only to the shop, but Norm and I as well. She could make the devil feel shame. Norm and I are not only blessed with her, but the many wonderful friends we have made over the past 10 years.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #326
JSClemsonFan
Mouseketeer

One of the reasons I love this forum is that people can post the good and the bad. I am one of the people not pleased. But after pages and pages of posts that people have made with positive comments, I know I'm in the minority. Like I said in my post, I didn't get the vibe that Brooke was hearing what I said about the sand toys. I even called the day before my cruise to verify everything was okay and to see if she had any questions. She said it was all set. I did everything I could on my end. It is just $135 that I personally wish I hadn't spent. That said --> I shared my experience so that others can learn about how to be as specific as possible so they too won't be disappointed. This is something I was really looking forward to. I know that Shirley is on these forums. I was sharing my experience for both the customer and the provider of the product. What good does a phone call do to Brooke except possibly make her feel like she needs to apologize?? After all, I stated I don't think it was intentional. It was a misunderstanding that caused my disappointment. I would never want to call as it would put Brooke in a situation to feel she had to apologize or refund or discount my order. I'm not looking for any of that. So I'm very thankful for a place like this forum to be able to express both sides of the basket purchases.
JSClemsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #327
acomasdiaz
DIS Veteran

Any recent pics of Shirley's baskets? Thinking of ordering one next month.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #328
4HOLIDAYS
DIS Veteran

I am looking for ideas for 2 DS(15,13)...has anyone had a basket done with items other than food for this age?
It was mch easier with sand toys, glw sticks, stickers...
4HOLIDAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #329
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HOLIDAYS View Post
I am looking for ideas for 2 DS(15,13)...has anyone had a basket done with items other than food for this age?
It was mch easier with sand toys, glw sticks, stickers...
What about an underwater camera, bandanas or Disney ball caps and snacks, favorite sodas, pirate gear, magazines, beach towels, etc
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #330
pearljammer
Mouseketeer

Doing my own gift basket

I certainly understand that this isn't for everyone and a majority of people order these for mere convenience and I certainly get that as I've been tempted. But after seeing more pictures, I'm just convinced I'm getting more bang for my buck by doing my own. Just thought I'd throw out ideas of what I'm doing for my DD (4) for our trip.

Blue sand bucket w/shovel (large) - $1.00 at Michaels - .50 after 1/2 off coupon
Mickey pirate plush from Disney Store online w/20% - $10.36
mickey's treasure chest w/various goodies from disney store w/20% $16.76
glow in the dark bracelets (get a whole tube for $1.00 at Michael's will use 50% coupon) - .50
Will buy M&M's (large bag for all of us or smaller bags) - $2.50 to $3.00
perhaps a few more snacks he likes.

Total thus far = $32.00

For us, the cruise in itself is a enough but to make a bit more special, we just want to tailor it to the cruise so he has momentos from this experience. We may also have an ear hat which is another $13 (with 20% off) which would bring it to approximately $47.00 (not including personalizing ears).

Now he's not getting trinket stuff as he has enough toys/trinkets but more substantial mementos for the money.

Nothing against Shirley and what she does by any means, just letting you know what can be done on your own and put more $$ in your pocket. I also plan on getting something "dream" on board to commemorate our trip.

Last edited by pearljammer; 07-21-2011 at 11:56 AM.
pearljammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: