Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

The Meem's Team Does Disney! April 17-22, 2008

CAST of CHARACTERS

Me -Michelle recently turned 40 *gasp*, have been going to WDW since 1985 and a working mom. It isn't a Disney trip unless I have changed my resort reservation and vacation dates at least 2-3 times. Obsessive planner but prefers the non-commando style park touring and loves everything Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom and Epcot

DH -Jim age 38, first Disney trip was our honeymoon 14 years ago with 16 trips since then. Loves all things Donald and Daisy and fellow non-commando. Favorite Parks: Magic Kingdom and Disney Hollywood Studios

DD - Madelyn aka MEEMS (her nickname) age 5, has autism and is non-verbal. She LOVES to travel though and we can pretty much take her anywhere but Disney is the BEST place for her. Autism is a spectrum disorder and it effects each child differently. In Meem's case she is a sensory seeker and doesn't need to keep to a rigid schedule except for mealtimes. She does have problems with personal space and waiting in long crowded lines/areas. We will be getting her a Guest Assistance Card to help with these issues. This will be Meem's 3rd trip to the World. Favorite Park: probably Magic Kingdom

DF - our dear friend Jane, 50ish, and she has many WDW trips under her belt as well. Jane has RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and will be renting an ECV from an outside company. Jane loves all things Snow White and the Seven Drawfs. Favorite Park: Epcot (I think)

DATES and RESORT
We we first began planning in August 2007 we were all going to stay together in a 1-bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs during the first week of May. Those plans fell through and then just the 3 of us planned to go the first week in June between Meem's regular school year and extended school year. She attends early childhood special education. We were going to stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Then DH found out he couldn't get off work in June so we had to change the dates again finding it very difficult to fit this trip into our schedule. We finally settled on cutting the trip down to 5 nights April 17-22 which allows us to stay in a Deluxe resort. Madelyn will only miss 3 days of school because a professional development day is scheduled during that time. We feel the Polynesian is a good match for Meems since she loves water so much and it's great location near the Magic Kingdom where we will be spending most of our time. Meems also loves the monorail. Our friend Jane will be staying at the Pop Century resort but meeting up with us for park touring and meals.

DINING

All 4 of us will be on the Disney Dining Plan for the first time. We have ADR's at: Ohana's(dinner), Kona Cafe(dinner), 50's Prime Time Cafe(dinner), Garden Grill(lunch) and the Crystal Palace(breakfast). Counter service restaurants we are considering with our CS credits are: Casey's, Cosmic Ray's, Pinnochio's Village Haus, Liberty Inn, Flame Tree BBQ, Anandupur Local Foods, Toy Story Pizza Planet and Captain Cook's. Many of our dining possibilities are based on Meem's limited diet (grilled cheese, chicken tenders, pizza, hot dogs, pancakes, waffles, applesauce, milk) and things, as in the world of autism, are subject to change! Jane plans to dine on her own once awhile including the Sci Fi Dine-In Theater for their onion rings.

TRANSPORTATION

Jim, Madelyn and I are flying on American Airlines and Jane is flying in on Southwest. We live in different states but plan to meet up at MCO in the baggage claim area. Our flights are scheduled to arrive within 45 minutes of each other. We have a car reserved at National Emerald Aisle as we never do Disney anymore without a car. Buses are not an option with Madelyn as they are too crowded. Monorails are usually fine and we drive to the Studios and Animal Kingdom. We are very nervous about flying with Madelyn but plan to bring her favorite snacks, comfort items/toys and a portable DVD player on the plane with us. She has not flown since she was 1 years old. We drove to WDW for our 2006 trip. Before checking in at our resorts we plan to make a stop at Wamart for bottled water and other items we don't want to pack.

PARKS

We plan to visit all 4 parks and Downtown Disney with most of our time spent at MK and Epcot. A morning or evening will be spent at both AK and the Studios. Jane and Jim are thrill seekers and will do Test Track, Soarin etc.... I prefer the calmer rides although I just love Splash Mountian! Meem's still naps so we will be returning to the Poly mid-afternoon every day for naps, swimming etc... She is a late night gal so we can stay at the parks until close if we want to. We may have just 4 full days but I think we can see and do allot in that time even with our non-commando touring style. Jane will be spending time on her own at the parks once in awhile. She particularly likes the Voices of Liberty at Epcot which is something Jim and Madelyn would find boring....

So now we are just counting the days until our vacation! Thanks for reading and stayed tuned.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Last edited by Disneylvr; 03-20-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Disneylvr

We are at the 30 day mark!!!

Not much has changed except we made our final payments on the package a couple of weeks ago. We haven't changed any ADR's although it's not that we haven't tried! Unfortunately the most popular restaurants are booked solid including Chef Mickey's.

On our reservation we have requested a 3rd floor room in Fiji, Samoa, Rarotonga or Tokelau buildings at the Poly. We have rarely gotten our requests in past reservations but I am hoping for (not expecting) a little extra pixie dust this time. Staying at the Poly was a splurge and with the country in a recession I don't think we will going on a big vacation for awhile.

I also bought a Bagallini for the trip thanks to the recommendations on the Tips boards. DH has already informed me he IS NOT carrying a woman's bag around the parks. Now men, tell me does this Messenger Bag look like a woman's bag? Hey we are in Disney where everything is unisex, right??!!

I bought the mango colored one cause I like bright, tropical colors and the lime and pink were the ones DH said he absolutely would not carry. I guess he has since changed he mind. I will be the sole Baggallini wearer and I will do with a smile.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Last edited by Disneylvr; 03-17-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Disneylvr

Madelyn's Disney Shopping order arrived!

I also recently found the photos we took at the Polynesian during our last trip. We had dinner at Kona Cafe one night and then stayed to see the water pageant from the beach. We were resort guests at the Contemporary though but dreaming about the Poly!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: