Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #511
MNFootballMommy
When did MY era become a dress up day for school?
I WILL be back! I can't abandon my friends
I secretly LOVE sparkly dryer lint
I've seen it happen and it made me giggle!

Tinker, you are darn good girl! I only go to the grocery store every two weeks and still spend $200-300 so you did good on your budget meals there. Right now I am doing WW and have found that I am more successful if I spend a bit more for the individually packaged snacks, etc., since I tend to pop one (or more) in my mouth if I am counting them out...
Old 04-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #512
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Teen boy in our family... Dinners must include, meat, potato/rice, veggie, and a fruit. Dessert/Snack is already on his mind before his plate is cleared.

Some definite staples:

Rice made in chicken/beef broth
Mashed Potatoes w/ gravy
Chicken made with any type of flavoring or with dipping sauces included
Hamburger/Hot Dogs - (I use a George Foreman grill for both)
Frozen French Fries...
Frozen Pizza with a LARGE salad (I will not let DS eat the whole pizza...)
Caesar Salad w/ croutons and grilled chicken
Grilled cheese sandwiches w/ soup
Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti...

Now my son is tall and looks underweight but he isn't. I can give him more carbs than the rest of us and it fills him up. I also include a large glass of milk with dinner (he prefers chocolate and that is okay with me). Also when the milk is gone, we switch to yep, plain water... Good luck with you new job! Good thing it only lasts a week!!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #513
Vivianne
Close enough to enjoy what Mass has to offer
I'm ready for a PARTY!

Hi Everyone!

Nothing new to report today...

Went to the supermarket and spent $77 yesterday. We're only 2 people, so I can stretch what I buy. Bought some items to make chicken fajitas and DH made them yesterday. Guess we'll be having leftovers today.

Tinker,

Your meal plan sounds like you have things under control.
Vivianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #514
Tinker'n'Fun

Okay how about some help for today....

I decided to book another trip to Disney... (first ever twice in Disney in one year) so I need some advice..

Do you feel budget wise for me to change from 6 day basic to 10day Hopper/with waterparks non expiring and save 4 extra days for the parks along with 4 waterpark and mores... This way we could do DisneyQuest this year and possibly a waterpark (we usually don't do water parks because I am allergic to the sun) if I could find a shaded area....

I also need help with my dining plan.. NOTHING IS AVAILABLE and its killing me to try and get what I would like versus what I am going to get.. This is what I have so far...

Arrive September 18th..
18th. Magic Kingdom use 4 CS for dinner, use 4 snack credits

19th. Hollywood Studios breakfast oop, late lunch/dinner Sci-Fi@3:45pm 4TS, share 2CS in the evening, snack credits if needed.

20th. Epcot Late breakfast 10:25am at Askerhaus 4TS, 4 snack credits, and possibly 2CS to share (I would like a steak dinner but LeCellier is not available and I don't know if there is a park close that we could come back afterwards)

21st. Animal Kingdom - Late breakfast at Tusker House 10:30am 4TS, leave park. Snacks at the hotel if hungry, Hoop-De-Doo Review 7:15pm 8TS.

22nd. OPEN

23rd. Magic Kingdom 7CS or 3 CS and Liberty Tree Tavern (not sure if available) We will go to MNSSHP this night.

24th. DTD breakfast at hotel OOP, 4CS Earl of Sandwich for lunch, OOP (I have gift cards) for Rainforest Cafe for dinner. Need to pick a time.

25th. Open we leave this day somewhere in the late afternoon...

As of right now we have used

CS: 18 as it stands 15 is we do a TS on the 23rd.
TS: 20 as it stands...

We have a total of 28 each TS and CS and I will do fruit salad w/Snack credits for breakfast or pay OOP...

Okay give me your best, thanks, Diane
Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #515
Tinker'n'Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNFootballMommy View Post
Tinker, you are darn good girl! I only go to the grocery store every two weeks and still spend $200-300 so you did good on your budget meals there. Right now I am doing WW and have found that I am more successful if I spend a bit more for the individually packaged snacks, etc., since I tend to pop one (or more) in my mouth if I am counting them out...

I have found that it helps my budget when I buy snacks in large packages and make my own single serve.. Yes I have been known to count out a serving size of 30 tiny goldfish crackers!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #516
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

Tinker,

What about the resort restaurants? We always enjoy Kona at the Poly, also there will be the new one at CR The Wave. There should be a good steak there. Sometimes we will take the boat over to WL and do a restaurant there. Would any of these work for you? If the parks close early in Sept. you could end your day at a resort then go swimming for the evening....

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
suevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #517
Tinker'n'Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
Tinker,

What about the resort restaurants? We always enjoy Kona at the Poly, also there will be the new one at CR The Wave. There should be a good steak there. Sometimes we will take the boat over to WL and do a restaurant there. Would any of these work for you? If the parks close early in Sept. you could end your day at a resort then go swimming for the evening....

All these ideas are great but I still need your help. I am clueless as to how far the resorts are and how long it would take. We like to make Lunch our main meal between 3-4pm. So I would need to leave the park. Would I make it back in time. Would you mind matching up resorts close to the parks we are going to and then I could check menu's. We are not adventurous eaters but I thought for free dining we should open our horizons a bit.. Now don't get me wrong and steer me towards octopus or something like that!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #518
MNFootballMommy
When did MY era become a dress up day for school?
I WILL be back! I can't abandon my friends
I secretly LOVE sparkly dryer lint
I've seen it happen and it made me giggle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
All these ideas are great but I still need your help. I am clueless as to how far the resorts are and how long it would take. We like to make Lunch our main meal between 3-4pm. So I would need to leave the park. Would I make it back in time. Would you mind matching up resorts close to the parks we are going to and then I could check menu's. We are not adventurous eaters but I thought for free dining we should open our horizons a bit.. Now don't get me wrong and steer me towards octopus or something like that!
Tinker...I have a Word doc that has that info. The times were approximate and seemed to be overestimates, imho. I had found it on a planning site and I really did think it was the Dis, but it is hard to tell now. Anyway, if you would like, you can PM me your e-mail addy and I will send it to you.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #519
Vivianne
Close enough to enjoy what Mass has to offer
I'm ready for a PARTY!

Hello Everyone! Hope you had a great day!

Tinker, it's great you have another trip to look forward to.

We really like Kona which is a quick trip on the monorail to the Poly. We find that a late lunch is enough for us rather than dinner. We also dined at 'Ohana. We dined there once, the only time we could get was 9 p.m. Won't do that again. We do EMH p.m. contrary to most advice given but we've never found it to be a problem for the times we go. So we had more than enough time to go back to MK.

On our Epcot day, we do the latest lunch we can get at WS.

We've also dined at Downtown Disney. Rainforest Cafe, Bongos and Raglan Road.

Keep on trying for your preference. There's always the possibility of a cancellation.

Last edited by Vivianne; 04-30-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Vivianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #520
Tinker'n'Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne View Post
Hello Everyone! Hope you had a great day!

Tinker, it's great you have another trip to look forward to.

We really like Kona which is a quick trip on the monorail to the Poly. We find that a late lunch is enough for us rather than dinner. We also dined at 'Ohana. We dined there once, the only time we could get was 9 p.m. Won't do that again. We do EMH p.m. contrary to most advice given but we've never found it to be a problem for the times we go. So we had more than enough time to go back to MK.

On our Epcot day, we do the latest lunch we can get at WS.

We've also dined at Downtown Disney. Rainforest Cafe, Bongos and Raglan Road.

Keep on trying for your preference. There's always the possibility of a cancellation.
Thanks for the advice. I noticed you enjoyed the Kona at the Poly. I was reading up on a photo shoot they do there now. So I was thinking of doing that and I am going to allears to look at the menu. I told you we were plain, so I may be asking about the food! Diane
Old 04-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #521
suevee
I am in a frenzy!

The Wave will be the new restaurant at CR. It is taking the place of the Steak Concourse. I don't know if it serves lunch. The Concourse had a great steak. You could walk to the CR from MK. Trails End Buffet at the Camp Ground is a boat ride away from MK.

You could also take the monorail from Epcot to any of the monorail resorts. But that would probably take more like 30 min one way. If you want to take a break from the heat and explore a resort it could be fun.

I would estimate around 15 -20 minutes to get to most restaurants from a park depending on the timing of the transportation.

You can take a boat to go to Beaches and Cream from either Epcot International Gate or DHS. I am not sure what other restaurants are available for lunch on the Boardwalk, but any are just a boat ride from Epcot or DHS. Beaches and Cream is closer to the Epcot International Gate than DHS and we have walked there. At the AK there is the Rain Forest Cafe. If you have their membership card you are guaranteed a spot.

Hope this helps.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #522
Tinker'n'Fun

Well today is a budget BUST!!! You know one of those days where you wish you could just crawl under the blanket and call it a day...

So I had a Dr's appt this AM. We only have one car so I am driving him to work and the breaks are making this funny noise. DH says ignore it! I hate when he does that. So I go to the DR. who says I am getting better but I have to do another round of the antibiotics ($75.00) and I get this funny feeling about the car. So I stop at the mechanic b4 going home. Tells me the front brakes do not sound good at all and recommends that I DO NOT drive it. So I get to walk home. (well at least that is a stress reliever) He still hasn't called if he can get to it today and I have no price and I will have to rent a car, which by the way I have never done b4! Then I find out that I calculated my Stimulus payment wrong and we will be getting $600.00 less because I am disabled and this only qualifies for 1/2 of the payment! Now I know that this is found money and I was grateful. I was paying off bills that I would have struggled to pay. (I was actually breathing for a while) and the rest was going for the plane tickets for Sept Trip. So I will still pay the bills first, but now I have to pray that the airfare doesn't go up while I save for it... Boy do I sound like a whiney brat! Oh well, hope everyone else is having a better day!

Diane
Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #523
suevee
I am in a frenzy!

Tink - Sending some Just think of the problems you avoided by getting this fixed now!!

I am losing $240.....one of my clients is leaving me two weeks earlier than expected....so I will have to take $240 out of WDW budget for June...

BUT my middle daughter is up for a GS 13 position. She and her sister are also going to settlement on there first home next Thursday!!! Please send some pixie dust our way. So things have a way of balancing out!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #524
Tinker'n'Fun

Okay, so I couldn't leave the post with such a gloomy topic..

I was thinking and was wondering if anyone has ever done this... I wonder if I should drop my tickets (8 day standard right now) to a 1 day standard. Then go to Undercover Tourist and purchase a 10 hopper/with water'n'extra's non expiring. I could buy one ticket each month.. May, June July, and August. We would use 5 days parks and 2 water'n'extra's this trip (disney quest and a water park - the kids have never been to a water park). Then I would have 5 days in the park w/4 extras for next year which could be one or two trips depending on our schedule. Has anyone tried this and is it economical or not?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #525
Tinker'n'Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
Tink - Sending some Just think of the problems you avoided by getting this fixed now!!

I am losing $240.....one of my clients is leaving me two weeks earlier than expected....so I will have to take $240 out of WDW budget for June...

BUT my middle daughter is up for a GS 13 position. She and her sister are also going to settlement on there first home next Thursday!!! Please send some pixie dust our way. So things have a way of balancing out!!!
Pixie Dust Granted.. and prayers being said. Diane!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: