Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #496
Vivianne
Close enough to enjoy what Mass has to offer
I'm ready for a PARTY!

Hey Everybody! It's Sunday, just enjoy!

The weather is cooler and supposedly we're in for a cooler spell and rain. Oil prices have gone to $4/gallon. Wonder what we're going to do this coming winter to keep warm...

Going shopping for some essentials....I will try to minimize the damage
Vivianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #497
MNFootballMommy
When did MY era become a dress up day for school?
I WILL be back! I can't abandon my friends
I secretly LOVE sparkly dryer lint
I've seen it happen and it made me giggle!

Not budget for me this weekend! Went shoe shopping for DH and I ended up getting two new pair of sandals (I needed them, but still...), a new messenger/boarding bag for me, a new backpack for him, a baseball glove, hat and ball for DD (plus she got a new toy from a GC left over from her b-day), a quick trip by the grocery store AND dinner out! Well, at least I am stimulating the economy, right??
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #498
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
I have vowed not to allow my Mom to upset me. I would even take her. But she is afraid to leave overnight..
awwww, it does sound like vivianne is right tho: your mom wants to keep you "safe & sound". sadly, you'll prob never change her (i agree with you about the "family vacations" ~ my parents mostly drove (only occassionally flying) to canada & mexico, & every single state except hawaii & alaska ~ with 3 kids, and our dog & cat!! )
imho, there is no substitute for the memories made on vacations ~ you get to know & appreciate one another more when you're out of the daily grind have a great time!! DH & i will be in WDW sept 27-oct 6 for the F&WF, so we'll just miss you.

oh, & in case no one has noticed .......less than six little, tiny, itty-bitty days to go!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #499
Vivianne
I'm ready for a PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSchrow View Post
oh, & in case no one has noticed .......less than six little, tiny, itty-bitty days to go!!!
Well........Way to go girl! Your time has come!

Of course, you have to give us a complete rundown on your observations, meals & fun time.

Last edited by Vivianne; 04-27-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #500
Vivianne
I'm ready for a PARTY!

Sorry, I can't resist!

Happy 500th post to the ThreadKiller Thread!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #501
MNFootballMommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne View Post
Sorry, I can't resist!

Happy 500th post to the ThreadKiller Thread!

Wow! Not killed yet! Feeling like winners today, aren't we?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #502
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Subbing to say this thread is still going so you are NOT a Thread killer Elaine!!I've seen your thread for weeks now and finally jumped on board! I don't kill threads usually but I play havoc with the computor hence I am Known as The Official TFW Computor Whiz!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #503
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Wow it was hard to find the thread today. Well I am a bit under the weather and I hope it passes soon. I have started planning meals and I am going to post them here for reviews and budget suggestions as this trip was well "way off my budget wall"... Oh well I guess I would rather drown at Disney than at home!! I am waiting for my DH to call and let me know if his boss will let him off from work.. The wait is killing me!! I can't put the deposit down or make dining til he calls... (I would be oh so disappointed if I got my ressie only to find out we couldn't go)

I will be back later with an update!!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #504
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow it was hard to find the thread today. Well I am a bit under the weather and I hope it passes soon. I have started planning meals and I am going to post them here for reviews and budget suggestions as this trip was well "way off my budget wall"... Oh well I guess I would rather drown at Disney than at home!! I am waiting for my DH to call and let me know if his boss will let him off from work.. The wait is killing me!! I can't put the deposit down or make dining til he calls... (I would be oh so disappointed if I got my ressie only to find out we couldn't go)

Hi Neighbor!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #505
Vivianne
I'm ready for a PARTY!

Hey Everybody! It's raining heavily over here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Subbing to say this thread is still going so you are NOT a Thread killer Elaine!!I've seen your thread for weeks now and finally jumped on board! I don't kill threads usually but I play havoc with the computor hence I am Known as The Official TFW Computor Whiz!!
Hi englishrose47,
Love your username! Yes, this thread has gone on and on........

Quote:

I'm just curious, unless you post alot, this thread shouldn't be to hard to find. When I log on, I just click on UserCp and look on the right for subscribed threads. Sometimes, you need to click on the bar to find threads you posted on that have not been active. Usually, I find it immediately since I haven't been posting much.

I know what you mean about waiting for an o.k. on vacation. We've had problems with our dates from time to time. Once, we were at Cape Cod and my DH likes to listen to his work voicemails . His boss left a message asking where he was... He had approved DH's vacation and forgot about it.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your vacation...
Old 04-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #506
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:

hope you're feeling better
my budget thing of the day: i went to work with a banana & a propel water ~ that was b'fast & lunch. now i'm staaaaaarving (those grumbling noises are so annoying ).
i would love to see your meal planning!! do you cook simple foods though? (i don't cook, and am always looking for quick, easy, and inexpensive meals). do share........
good luck on getting the trip

vivianne ~ i hope to actually complete one trip report in my lifetime. i always do the same thing: get up super early every morning, & write notes as i sip my coffee & watch the sun rise. then jot a few things at night (what/where we ate, parks/attractions we went to, etc). by about the 4th day, my journal notes read, "woke up. ate. went out. ate. fell asleep". it's kind of pathetic that i've been going to WDW at least 1x year (many times twice) for the past 20 years, and i still haven't written an entire trip report!! (do have quite a few journals with only a few pages used in them though ). yet so many ppl go once, & wite beautiful TRs, with pictures, restaurant & rides reviews, detailed descriptions of everything so that you feel like you're there alongside them.....
hopefully, this will be the trip that finally produces a TR

happy 500th post to everyone
Old 04-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #507
MNFootballMommy

Hi kids! Checking in...I am in the same boat as Tinker...waiting to buy tickets because I don't know if the in-laws will be joining us or not. Now I see that the MNSSHP is going on, so I want to go but don't want it to just be me and DD, but not sure if DH can break away from his work commitments (why we are going to be there) in order to join us. They say waiting is the hardest part...
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #508
Tinker'n'Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Hi Neighbor!!

Hello... We are around the corner, never even looked.. Sorry!! Boy it was cold here today... Hope it goes back to warm soon, but I think I overheard snow on the TV... Say it isn't sooo

Vivianne, I looked through all the threads while looking for ours and it was on page 4 so by the time I was done being sidetracked and reading the other threads. well I guess you can say I am easily amuzed and it took me a while
Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #509
Tinker'n'Fun

Okay so I planned for the rest of the week my meals.. I have gone grocery shopping twice since got back from Disney.. The first trip was almost $200.00 because I bled the cupboards dry before we went.. This week was $125.00 but I stocked up on alot of freezer/meats.. Now I wouldn't bat an eye at a $120.00 lunch at Disney but couldn't even blink when the grocery bill came through... Funny how your mind works.. So for those who want a few ideas here is my menu for the rest of the week..

I took out the turkey I bought at Thanksgiving time out of the freezer to make room for the meats I purchased this week... So I will be having Turkey dinner one night this week and the carcass will be used to make stock for soup..

Okay so here is the week

Monday (tonight) Mock stroganoff made w/ground beef. Includes 1/2 package of AuJus, a little flour, milk and sour cream. $3.00. Served over rice and mashed potatoes $1.00 and canned corn .50. The kids had packaged applesauce w/ theirs .50. Total $5.00

Tuesday, Turkey soup from the stock that I made last time (this will deplete my soup stock from the freezer - estimate $1.00, add leftover rice from Monday's dinner .50 and make 2 loaves of french bread $1.50.. $3.00 w/ leftovers for lunch.

Wednesday - Ravioli w/ sauce and homemade meatballs. (leftover bread from Tuesday and Wed's meatballs will be reused on Saturday) Ravioli's $3.00, Sauce $1.00, Meatballs (meat, seasonings, etc..) $3.50, salad $1.00. Total for dinner is $8.50 but leftovers for other meals will come in play.

Thursday - Soccer practice tonight so we will have Jazzy Frozen Pizza night.. I purchased a frozen pizza on sale for $3.00 after coupon. I will jazz up with onion/pepper and addition cheese on the kids side $1.00. I will make a large salad with fresh parmesian cheese and croutons (made with some of the leftover french bread) .25. I have dressings in fridge but I always est .25 when I use condiments. $4.50

Friday - Chicken something... This is a grab bag night but I will make a chicken meal $2.50, canned veggies .50, and fresh fruit medley 1.00. (I use up the fruit that would have gone bad and dash it w/ lemon juice. In the microwave I put a small amount of sour cream and brown sugar and melt to combine) $4.00

Saturday Night - Meatball subs. All items needed are leftover from earlier in the week except Mozzarella Cheese $1.00. Salad $1.00 w/chicken (leftover friday) if the kids want a caesar, and homemade applesauce $1.25 $3.25

Sunday - Roasted Turkey (free from store), Mashed potatoes $1.00, boxed stuffing (yeah I know it kills me to do this but I want to use it up as I dont buy them anymore..) $1.00, gravy .50, canned corn .50, canned sweet potatoes w/brown sugar and gravy .75. $3.75 w/ leftover everywhere. I will make stock from the carcass that requires onions, carrots, celery that will be sacraficed for the stock.. Cost $2.50 but enough stock for 24 servings/4 meals.

So for the week dinners will cost me $34.50 but with stock for meals and lunches for DH for the whole week. WE will also use leftover for lunches on the weekend. I will also be able to carry over a whole extra dinner next week from the turkey so I will divide the total by 8 dinners. Lunch budget is reduced a lot from left overs this week..

So Lunch ($15.50 budget which is the same every week as I will not go over $16.00) and dinner for the week for a family of 4 at $ 50.00 for 16 meals for $3.20 per meal or about .75 per person..

Just in case you want to know we do the usual breakfast - toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt, (eggo waffles for DS everyday). Breakfast costs me about $1.00 per day.

Drinks in our house are water, milk, coffee, OJ, Apple Juice, and Iced Tea mix and unsweetened tea from tea bags, and something like Tropicana Twister for the kids... I do NOT purchase pop.. If they want it they have to buy it themselves or see their NANA.

I have snacks in the house for everyone if they want. I make homemade granola bars, and purchase fruit snacks, pretzels, and skinny cow flying saucers.. I always have fresh fruit and veggies...

So do I compare to everyone else?? I have often wondered if I did well. And just so you know I will probably not have to purchase any meat for 4 weeks but will purchase bread, milk, veggies, and fruit each week for freshness sake..
Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #510
starrzone
Quirky with snack cakes

I like this budget and menu idea; my parents are going to Europe for 3 weeks in May/June, and I am going to be in charge of "babysitting" my almost-16 year old brother. My plan is to draw up a menu for the week (he takes his lunch to school) so that there will be no "What's for dinner?" or asking to go out for pizza or fast food. If anyone has any dishes that are well-liked by teen boys in your family, please share!

Come check out my blog: http://starrzone.wordpress.com

starrzone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: