Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
nikkimc
Earning My Ears

Space bags...wrinkles?

So when you use the space bags, do your clothes end up wrinkled? Also...I remember going through someones baby clothes before ds was born. The baby clothes were in a space bag, and the bag had a real plastic-y smell, and it seemed to make the clothes smell too. Anyone ever had this happen?

Where do you get space bags, and is there a brand that is "better" than other?
nikkimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
PrincessKell
Disney Princess Wanna be
Ok I did it! I actually got around to sewing!

I do not have any answers for you, but my dh was just talking about getting these! I was wondering on the smell, and the difference in the brands myself.
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
disneyfan2
Dreaming about a Mouse
Does anyone know how to use google

i just purchased the space savers that require no vacuum, but for some reason i cannot figure out how to get the air out? It says to roll them out, but for some reason i can't seem to get the air out. Anyone know what i am doing wrong?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
mommy2aprincess4
"I'm packing your extra pair of shoes, and your angry eyes just in case." ~ Mrs Potato Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan2 View Post
i just purchased the space savers that require no vacuum, but for some reason i cannot figure out how to get the air out? It says to roll them out, but for some reason i can't seem to get the air out. Anyone know what i am doing wrong?
We use these for packing, when you first start rolling (from the zipper end) you have to push really hard. Start rolling and squeeze down on it, you'll eventually hear it pop and the air will start coming out and you can keep rolling. It's kind of scary the first time because you think you've ripped the bag but it's ok, the seal or something needs to be broken the first time you use it. Hope that helps.

As for using the vacuum kind for storage in the house, I love them and have tried over and over but it seems after the first time they don't seal anymore, I think the plastic part of the zipper puts holes in them, so I take that off right away now. I use them to store off season linens and clothes, and for some reason they do come out with a sort of musty smell. I just wash everything before i put it in and again when i take it out for the next season. The travel ones don't seem to make stuff smell though, I guess because it's not in there that long.
HTH.
1/2005- offsite, 1/2006 - offsite, 1/2007 - offsite1/2008 - ASMusic Family Suites,
6/2008 - ASMovies,1/2010 - offsite (we think)
mommy2aprincess4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Not so Dumbo
DIS Veteran

Hmmm, I don't think I've taken anything out of them yet.
wait! yes, I have. We brought them along to pack our clothes in on our last WDW trip and were able to fit 49.5lbs of clothes in our suitcase. I don't remember them being wrinkled or smelly when we took them out, but it was only a day or so that they were in there.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
Matt'nMeg'sMom
Professional Disney Mom

Travel size Space Bags

I use the travel Space Bags, and I like them.

Wrinkles: I only pack knits or things that don't wrinkle. Everything comes out fine, and nothing looks bad. Besides, the humidity in FL makes any possible wrinkles fall on the walk to the hotel lobby. I never pack woven, cotton button downs, or linen. (Frankly, if it needs to be ironed, I don't even own it.)

Smell: My travel bags leave no odor. I'm a sensitive nose, and I would notice if there was.

Seal: I find if I slightly underpack the bags, they're easier to roll and seal. I usually don't roll them all the way, though. I just roll over the top 5 inches or so, to guarantee no leaks, then I lay down on top of the bag (stomach first) on the beds. I'm embarrassed to say - I can get every last molecule of air out of those darn bags. Laugh if you must.

Interesting side note: I live near Denver, Colorado. Anything I seal at home and fly to Florida becomes even MORE tightly compressed. However, when I seal up the bags in Florida for the return flight - they expand when they arrive at Denver altitude. Funny!

Remember: when you fill your suitcase with space bags, it'll weigh a ton.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
DevilDuckie
I'm the cute one
Frankly, I'd let them sleep on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkimc View Post
So when you use the space bags, do your clothes end up wrinkled? Also...I remember going through someones baby clothes before ds was born. The baby clothes were in a space bag, and the bag had a real plastic-y smell, and it seemed to make the clothes smell too. Anyone ever had this happen?

Where do you get space bags, and is there a brand that is "better" than other?
If you store things in them long term they will get that smell just like clothes getting musty in a box. Just air them out and it will go away quickly. I doubt your stuff will be in luggage long enough for that to be a worry though.

We have never had serious wrinkle issues and most hotels have an iron for touch ups anyway.

Can you tell I love my space bags?
DevilDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
nikkimc
Earning My Ears

So there are 2 separate kinds? The regular (vacuum) bags, and then the travel (roll up) bags? And the travel kind is what I want right? Where do you buy them?
nikkimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
WDWfeelslikehome
Mouseketeer

Red face

We got a value pack of them at Bed Bath & Beyond. It had a mix of travel and vaccum, and they have been a real lifesaver the way DW and I pack sometimes. We seem to forget how warm it is in WDW when living in the NE, no matter what time of year we go.
WDWfeelslikehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
brehan9403
Mouseketeer

Can someone recommed a good place to buy these? I'm thinking of using them for our trip next month. I'd prefer the non-vacuum kind. Thanks~
brehan9403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
novajet
Earning My Ears

I'm considering these for our next trip, too. I'll have to look into them.
novajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
DevilDuckie
I'm the cute one
Frankly, I'd let them sleep on the floor

The brand I use (and am happy with) is called Pack Mate. They have a website. (I'm not sure if posting it is against the rules but you should be able to figure out what it is pretty easily! [hint hint]
DevilDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
brehan9403
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDuckie View Post
The brand I use (and am happy with) is called Pack Mate. They have a website. (I'm not sure if posting it is against the rules but you should be able to figure out what it is pretty easily! [hint hint]
Ha Ha! Well I ordered some. Thanks~
brehan9403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
alexis_fate
Mouseketeer

I saw some travel ones at Big Lots Sunday. I am not sure if they were the "Space Saver" brand. They were $8.88 per box and I want to say there was 8 ( I could be wrong).

Tracy
DD (4)
DD (15)
alexis_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
karensi
Taking grandchildren to WDW will be a magical experience!

Wow...I can't believe we're talking about space bags, I was going to start a thread to ask a question about these. So here goes........I bought 3 - 13 inch stuffed Mickey Mouses, which I am planning to bring to WDW when I go with my 3 young DGS . I want to surprise them with a special present from the "real" Mickey. As you can imagine they are going to take up alot of room in my suitcase. I was wondering if I bought a space bag to pack them in would they become flat after unpacking?? Right now they are kind of plump and really cute. I'd hate to think of a flat, pancake type stuffed Mickey.

TIA,

Karen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: