Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

New TTC Thread

I noticed this morning that the TTC thread was closed yesterday. So here is a new home! Take a seat, get comfy, and lots of baby dust to everyone!

Denae

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
Old 02-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
helenabear
There is hope for the helpless, rest for the weary, love for the broken heart. There is grace and forgiveness, mercy and healing, He'll meet you wherever you are.

Denae, thank you for starting this!!!!

Jennifer, one never knows what your body can do on its own. One of the ladies here did I don't know how many IUIs and then 4 IVF to have their first child. I believe about 3 months after their first child was born, she got pregnant again. Sometimes our bodies shock us

Penguin Waiters, my heart breaks for you. I hate when you have a reminder like that. I was at my dad's one day after I had Dom when he showed me an ornament I gave him... it was one that said "I love my grandpa" I had given it to him when I found out I was pregnant in 2006... I lost that baby at 12 weeks. He thought it was sweet, but it sent me to tears. Sad reminders like that are always heart breaking

Allison, how was the trip??? I hope you got some alone time in
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
mickeyboat

Bump!

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Tasha+Scott
BL II - Red Team
Will make a special trip to Disneyland just to see Pirates of the Caribbean
Oh, Scott Baio, why can't you be in charge of me? Sigh...

Glad to see this thread has a new home! I am wishing all of you lots of baby dust this month! I find out on Friday what I am having (I hope). I will be exactly 20 weeks along. The pregnancy has just flown by this time but I think it's because I am swamped with school, clinicals, and chasing a (almost) 3 year old.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

I have questions if you don't mind. I'm going to see a gyno in the upcoming weeks but want to be armed with all the knowledge I can.

The last time I visited the gyno, she told me that I had to be off the pill for a year and trying to TTC before I could even start testing for any problems.

I've been off the pill since October and of course my husband is gone so the whole ttc really isn't happening now. Since being off the pill, I've had a period every 2.5 to 3 weeks that usually lasted 4-5 heavy days. Last week it lasted a day and half and not much to it. So now I"m confused even more.

Can I start some kind of testing to make sure I'm ovulating correctly? Is it a medical procedure or something I'm supposed to do at home? Do cysts grow more when off the bc pill. Last year the gyno mentioned that my cysts on the ovaries were not too large because the pill kept them from growing. Now that I'm off does that mean they are going to grow and interfere with any kind of ttc I'd like to do?

Is there some kind of shot/pill that could be taken to make you go into a fertile time? How long in advance would you have to take it? Do you know how long it lasts? I would really like to try to do this baby making thing when my husband comes home for R&R, possibly in August but naturally I don't have the dates and I can't change them because it might not be the good time of the month.

I know that ya'll aren't doctors but hell sometimes I think everyday people who have been through it all know more than medical professionals who only go by textbooks(not knocking the medical professionals) and I would like to know what I can being done to get this prepared hopefully for August time frame. I don't know when my husband will be back after August and I'm not sure how long he will be home or stateside so without too much pressure I'm really aiming for August. Any input would be great. Thank you so much for any advice.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
mickeyboat

Welcome, Tina!

First of all, it can take a long time for your cycles to return to normal after being on the pill. Everyone is different.

Second, it is a great time to start charting your cycle by taking your temperature every morning. There are lots of websites out there to tell you how, with charts you can print and use. There is also a highly-recommended book Taking Charge of Your Fertiltiy which has helped lots of people. (I have not read it, but have heard lots of good things about it).

You can use ovulation predictor kits, but they are expensive, and won't really help much until you have some indication of when you will ovulate.

There are also physical signs of ovulation - ovary pain, egg white cervical mucus. The book should explain what to look for.

I think your doctor was talking about what is left behind on your ovary after you an egg is released. Most of the time those cysts are reabsorbed, but sometimes they stay on the surface, and can be an indication of something called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Has an ultrasound technician detected these through ******l ultrasound? If you do find you are having trouble conceiving, or are not ovulating regularly, it could be a cause. Google the symptoms, and see if it is a possibility Keep it in mind to discuss with your doctor if it seems to fit. In some cases, it can be easily treated (as in mine!).

You can talk to your gyno about shots to make you fertile during a certain time. It is possible, but it is VERY expensive and not always covered by insurance. I don't know that a RE would be willing to do it if there is no indication of a problem. But if your charts show that you are not ovulating, or were having a very irregular cycle, your gyno or RE might time some medical intervention to coincide with when Matt will be home. Do you think he would be willing to make a donation that could be tested later to make sure he is in the clear, or maybe a donation or two that could be used while he was away with an IUI.

Wow, I wrote a book. There are lots of women who frequent this thread who have lots more knowledge and experience in this area. They also have lots of hugs, support and baby dust. Lots of luck to you, Tina. I can't think of a better cyber-friend to be a mom.

Denae

Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

Thank you so much, Denae. I have had the pelvic ultrasound done once a year for the past few years because the doctor worries about some cysts that were found on the ovaries.

I know about the signs of ovulation but I've never experienced those except mild cramping. NONE of the others period. I just worry if something is wrong and worrying probably makes it worse lol. I think sometimes I worry about time constraints because of my Matt not being around that often.

I actually have the book you mentioned and it has some handy dandy cd that can help you chart that stuff. I guess I need to start looking into that and start doing this.

I was on the pill for about 6 years. Does it take a long time for the the system to straighten out? I guess I just need to write down all my concerns and wanted to ask or add anything that people could think of from here.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
Old 02-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
helenabear
There is hope for the helpless, rest for the weary, love for the broken heart. There is grace and forgiveness, mercy and healing, He'll meet you wherever you are.

Tasha, I canont believe you are that far along!!!! Wow!!!

Tina, welcome (again, right?) to the group. Denae got a lot covered for you. Do you have any reason to believe you have issues with fertility? However having such a short cycle would probably mean that you might have issues. It all depends on your doctor with how you should start going about the testing. My doctor is very much not for charting. She feels it adds too much stress and doesn't give you enough information set in stone. She will automatically start blood tests instead of charting. She is of a younger generation though and a mother of three herself. For me when I was having a harder time conceiving, she just simply said to me, don't chart, give it 6-12 months of trying and then if I had trouble to set up an appt and she would do the testing for me. I got pregnant just about the time I was going to call for testing (though I lost that one). So every doctor is different.

Denae was right, you can manipulate your cycle with drugs to a certain extent, but what is covered by insurance varies. Something I found out, however, in general (not a rule, but most often true) testing that is done at the regular OB is more likely to be covered than what an RE does. So at my office, they will do everything including IUI, but for IVF you have to go to a RE.
I would honestly make an appt with your doctor now. Since you have such an issue with when you can try, natural may not be the way for you to go

I wrote a lot of babbles as well... but good luck!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
mickeyboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygoofy View Post
Thank you so much, Denae. I have had the pelvic ultrasound done once a year for the past few years because the doctor worries about some cysts that were found on the ovaries.

I know about the signs of ovulation but I've never experienced those except mild cramping. NONE of the others period. I just worry if something is wrong and worrying probably makes it worse lol. I think sometimes I worry about time constraints because of my Matt not being around that often.

I actually have the book you mentioned and it has some handy dandy cd that can help you chart that stuff. I guess I need to start looking into that and start doing this.

I was on the pill for about 6 years. Does it take a long time for the the system to straighten out? I guess I just need to write down all my concerns and wanted to ask or add anything that people could think of from here.
Check on the PCOS symptoms. If you have them, ask to be tested - it is a simple blood test. And start charting to you have "evidence" to present to a doctor if you need it, and to determine when you might be fertile.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
CheshireVal
Can you stand on your head?
I didn't realize there was more than one way to pronounce onion!
For me, there's something very sexy about Sayid...

Hi Tina! I came off the pill last April, and it took a while for my cycles to straighten themselves out (about 7 months). I had been on the pill off and on for almost 15 years (started in my teens because of bad cramps).

I bought the book Taking Charge of your Fertility, and even though charting is a total pain, it can be pretty helpful.

I always suspected I was ovulating regularly because I was having the physical symptoms, but I started charting seriously a few months ago and this month my chart is indicating I'm not ovulating. I'm going to see what happens next month, and if it still looks bad, I guess I'll be off to my doctor. The bad thing is my insurance doesn't cover any infertility treatments or medicine, so I'm not even sure what the point of going will be, though.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
7beasley
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygoofy View Post

Can I start some kind of testing to make sure I'm ovulating correctly?
Hi Tina --

You can (and I think every woman should) ask there doctor to do a Day 3 FSH test (you do it on the 3rd day of your cycle - its a blood test) - it checks to make sure that your ovaries are working correctly and can/and will produce eggs.

When I was having trouble conceiving - my doctor did a bunch of tests (ultrasounds, blood test, sperm analysis etc...) but not this easy test and had she done it I would have found out 1 whole year earlier than I did that I was not ovulating properly. So I am a big proponent of the FSH test.

Other than that -- you have gotten great advice from Denae, Elaine and Chesire Val...it can take a LONG time for your cycle to return to normal after the pill so don't worry if the first couple of months are weird -- and definately by the book (TCOYF) and CHART!!!

Good luck!!

Hi Denae and Elaine and Cheshire Val and all the other TTC girls! I am glad this thread found a new home. I can't wait to be back on the thread joining you guys -- Izzy is almost 4 months old now.

Hope everyone is doing well. It is nice to still be part of this TTC group and the Mommies to Be group... it is such a great group of women!

Hugs to all,
Nicole
Old 02-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Hi Can I join you? My name is Helene I'm 29 and I'm TTC #4. We actually were pregnant last year but I lost the baby at about 11 wks. We are supposed to start trying again in May, but I'm late Some months I O really late throwing off AF. I managed to get pregnant the day before my period was due with my son

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
PenguinWaiters
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone, and welcome Tina & Helene!

Glad I found this new thread. So, after Saturday's issue with the formula in my mailbox, you will never believe what I saw today...

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

(Sorry this is so huge! I resized it on Photobucket but it is still huge here.)
I can't believe it! After one year of TTC I make an appointment to have my fertility checked, give up on the month and boom! I am so excited! Good luck to all of you this month too.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Congrats!!! Wishing you a Happy and Healthy 9 months!!

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
Old 02-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
DisneyDreamer8
DIS Veteran

PenguinWaiters: Congrats!!!! How exciting!!! Have a Happy Healthly 9 Months
'94-First trip to DL*'99-Honeymoon in DL*'00-1st Anniversary Land/Sea Dixie Landings/DCL*'01-DL with the Gang*'03-7-day Eastern with Mom/DCL*'03-4th Anniversary/DL*'04-Land/Sea POR/DCL with SIL*'05-14-day Kingdom to Kingdom-DCL*'05-6th Anniversary/DL*'06-WDW: POR with Family*'06-7th Anniversary/DL*'07-WDW: POR with Mom*'07-8th Anniversary/DL*'08-Chase's 1st Trip/Our 9th Anniversary/DL*'09-Chase's 1st trip on DCL*'10-10 Magical days at POR aka Chase's 1st trip to WDW*'12-WDW: POR with the gang*'12-DL 13th Anniversary Trip to Carsland*'13-DL 14th Anniversary Trip*'14-DL 15th Anniversary Trip
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: