Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
maslex
DIS Veteran

Need some advice on seizures

Long story short.....brought my 17yr old son to the ER room yesterday morning with symptoms of a seizure. Doctor took blood, urine test, blood pressure, EKG, cat scan. Everything came back fine. We have an appt with the neurologist Wed morning.

I know you can't answer this, but why would something like this happen all of sudden? Totally threw us for a loop. He doesn't remember much of what happened. He doesn't remember falling or passing out but for the simple fact that the shower curtain was torn down & broken, he bit down on the side of his tongue and his back & shoulder are hurting pretty bad, I'm assuming he fell in the bathroom. (nobody was home at the time)

Doctor put him on a medication to help prevent seizures for the next 3 weeks. (3 pills at bedtime) He can't drive until further notice. Out of school for 5 days and work for 6 days.

No one in our family has ever had an EEG, so not sure if we find out the results that day or if it's a waiting game but I'm 100% hoping the results come back negative and everything is fine, but then it won't explain what happened either. What if he does have seizures now? Will he ever be able to drive? work? So confusing....so scary!!

Last edited by maslex; 03-27-2013 at 05:47 PM.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

I have a niece who has seizures and I believe she is not allowed to drive, and I actually spoke to a mom yesterday who's son is 22 and has a condition which causes seizures and she told me he doesnt drive. I went to renew my license recently and I think that was something you have to swear to, that you don't have. Hopefully it was just a fluke and your son will be fine. Best of luck with everything.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I'm sorry must be so scary! Hope his fine.

I passed out in high school and had siezures, 3or 4 times. I went to all kinds of doctors. They never found anything. And it hasn't happened in the past 30 years.

I'm guessing mine was hormonal related though.

Hope they figure out what your son's problem.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

So sorry your family is dealing with this scary stuff

I had a friend in HS who started with seizures our junior year (had several). Hers ended up being epilepsy and she was not allowed to get her license

My niece had a seizure when she was about 5. Tests were run including an EEG. Everything came back normal. 4 years later she is fine and has had no further seizures and is perfectly healthy. A doctor in the ER the day of said that he had had a single seizure as a child and never again, it just happens sometimes.

Good luck!

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
newMrs.Robinson
Earning My Ears

My son is 4. Last summer while he was sleeping in my bed at 6:00am he had a seizure that last 5-10 minutes. Scared us to death. We had weeks of testing, blood draws, sleep studies, and in the end were told by the neurologist that sometimes it just happens. Growth spurts and dehydration can cause them.

We haven't had any problems since but I am hyper sensitive to him being off. We just had the lovely stomach virus in our house and Caden did go to the ER for fluids. They say don't take chances.

It is scary but sometimes the best doctors can't pinpoint a cause. The best thing you can do is do all testing. It may never happen again. We will keep your son in our thoughts and hope that it was a one time thing.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
StartedAJoke
Mouseketeer

First off, to your family. Seizures are a scary thing to witness and go through. My DD16 had her first seizure almost 5 years ago. We went through all the testing, neurologist appts, etc. She has taken medication for the seizures most of that time -- started meds after experiencing 2 tonic clonic seizures in 8 days.

Diagnosis can be take a while. We went through alot of trial and error. The seizures may never return for your DS, or he may have a seizure disorder. It took us 4 1/2 years to finally determine the type of seizure disorder (Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy) that my DD has. The good news, for DD, is that she is very well controlled on her medication, she can drive (she had a breakthrough seizure during a medication change, so had to stop driving for 6 weeks,) she can do everything other 16yo do -- aside from swimming alone.

As to answering your question about how this can happen all of sudden . . . I look at it this way. Everyone has a seizure threshold. Some people's thresholds are higher than others. Some factors lower an individual's threshold. Sleep deprivation, stress, illness, alcohol use, and medications are some common factors that can lower one's threshold. We've just determined that penicillin lowers DDs threshold. Each of the 4 times she's been on it, in the last 5 years, she's had seizure activity. We now know it makes her condition worse, so we avoid it.

My advice, before you meet with the neurologist, write down what you can remember about a day or 2 prior to the seizure. Did you DS stay up super late? Does he have mid-terms? Is there an unusual amount of stress? Has he been sick? Any one of those factors could provide a clue, or reason why, he had a seizure.
StartedAJoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

So sorry your family has to go through this. My DH was diagnosed with epilepsy at 17. He has absence seizures where he just spaces out, blinks, and nods his head. He is 36 now and has never driven. He does work a regular job, he just has to have a ride. The med he is on now has given him the best control of the seizures he has ever had. He used to have multiple a day and now he goes days without them. His doc says it is possible he can drive some day. That actually depends on the state you live in. Some states say you have to be seizure free for a year or more, some it's 6 months. You can probably find out from your state's DMV.

Hope you get some good news at the next appointment.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
rndmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

I had it happen three times in my later teen years. Never could find a reson for it but it never stopped me from doing anything. I was told it's not that uncommon to happen to a person in their lifetime.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
SAT
Earning My Ears

I had a seizure when I was 18. I had an EEG as a follow-up. What the EEG basically revealed was that I would only be likely to have a seizure when I over stressed my system. Not just merely tired or from exercise but an extreme stress on the system.

I've been careful not to do so and have never had another one.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

I had a seizure at 24; none before and none since. Grand Mal, foaming at the mouth, twitching, the whole shebang. Was brought to the ER via ambulance and had lots of blood drawn, had a CT scan, and was given an appointment to see a neurologist the next day (because I was set to go to Disneyland the day after that!). The neurologist was an awful doctor and really just an awful person. But in the end, I had an MRI and an EEG and they both came back with no issues (epilepsy, tumours, etc). There is no official reason that I had that seizure. Now, my husband & I's theory... I was drinking pretty heavily at the time (for a couple weeks and A LOT) and it was alcohol withdrawal.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
Long story short.....brought my 17yr old son to the ER room yesterday morning with symptoms of a seizure. Doctor took blood, urine test, blood pressure, EKG, cat scan. Everything came back fine. We have an appt with the neurologist Wed morning.

I know you can't answer this, but why would something like this happen all of sudden? Totally threw us for a loop. He doesn't remember much of what happened. He doesn't remember falling or passing out but for the simple fact that the shower curtain was torn down & broken, he bit down on the side of his tongue and his back & shoulder are hurting pretty bad, I'm assuming he fell in the bathroom. (nobody was home at the time)

Doctor put him on a medication to help prevent seizures for the next 3 weeks. (3 pills at bedtime) He can't drive until further notice. Out of school for 5 days and work for 6 days.

No one in our family has ever had an EEG, so not sure if we find out the results that day or if it's a waiting game but I'm 100% hoping the results come back negative and everything is fine, but then it won't explain what happened either. What if he does have seizures now? Will he ever be able to drive? work? So confusing....so scary!!
OP - my advice? Don't google, and don't ask around. You will scare yourself to death!

You will get sooo many different answers. Your neurologist will be your best bet. If you got immediate care at the ER for him, you did the right thing you were supposed to do. The doctor will help you trouble shoot any other possible cause if they can identify it. Sorry your going through all that. They will help you with any seizure precautions too. It is hard waiting but the doc will have to come up with an individualized plan of care.

I will tell you my personal experience. I had a classmate in school who had a sudden seizure in his teens. No prior history. The cause? Illicit drug use. So always talk to your teens!!! But it could literally but one of MANY, MANY, causes... so just rely on neuro.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
clm10308
DIS Veteran

Many, many years ago when my dad was a young adult and in the Air Force, he had 2 seizures in one day. He was diagnosed with epilepsy and discharged. He took anti seizure medicine for 25-30 years and still gets a small disability payment from the VA. He never had any seizures after that day and he is now 70.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post

My oldest son had a seizure in school when he was 17. He has no memory of it. The other students said one minute he was sitting in the chair, the next he shot out of his seat and fell in the floor with his eyes rolled back in his head and his body shaking. Even 15 min later he was very out of it, didn't know where he was, couldn't sit up straight,etc. I had the school nurse call 911 to transport him to the ER, where he was worked up for everything from fdrugs to dehydration to seizure to heart attack over a period of 8 hours. He came around and started joking at about the 4 hour mark. No cause was ever identified.

DS saw a neurologist the next day and had an EEG a few days after that. His results were inconclusive, meaning he had some unusual activity in his brain waves, but not definitively seizure. His doctor opted to take a wait and watch approach rather than start him on seizure drugs. That turned out to be a good decision as DS has never had another one in the past 10 years.

Just so you know, you won't get results on the EEG immediately. It usually takes a few days. They send it to the neurologist who goes through the reams of graph paper meticulously, line by line. The really interesting thing about an EEG is that the doctor can often pinpoint the exact area that is causing the problem. Hopefully, you'll get good news. Be sure your son is very sleep deprived, because part of the test is usually done during sleep. My Christian has a seizure disorder and they always do it in a room that they can darken so he'll be awake for the first part and asleep for the second part.

BEst of luck to you all. I know how worrisome it is when your child has a seizure. My DH has them , Christian has them, even our dog Minky had seizures! So I have a LOT of experience, unfortunately.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
low-key
DIS Veteran

most often it can never be explained, but if you have two they start checking for a tumor in the brain

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: