Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #3691
Vility
Mouseketeer
 
Vility's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dresher,PA
Posts: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPN4265 View Post
We will be staying at the WL, and have booked the horse back riding at Fort Wilderness. Can anyone tell us the best way to get from the WL to FW. I know you can take the boat, but the stables for the trail ride are at the front of FW, and it would be a long walk to the front of the resort.
BOAT!
we loved the boat!
__________________
Allison-32 Daniel-33 Andrew-8 Genevieve-6 Gillian-2


82,83,84,85,86,87,93,94Poly_98ASS__09,10,12WL
Vility is offline  
Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #3692
Vility
Mouseketeer
 
Vility's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dresher,PA
Posts: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbie View Post
I had a question about bus transportation. I read the first post about hours and it said that the AK bus started one hour before park opening. I have an 8:25 ADR at Tusker House so do I need to take a taxi? I thought the buses started earlier for character breakfasts, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for the help!
I didn't think about this until the night before my 8:10AM ADR for ohana.
We took a cab which cost us $8.00's to the poly.
__________________
Allison-32 Daniel-33 Andrew-8 Genevieve-6 Gillian-2


82,83,84,85,86,87,93,94Poly_98ASS__09,10,12WL
Vility is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #3693
burberryplaid
Addicted to SOARIN's Orange Scent
Has an affinity for cupcakes
There's nothing like leaving all your cares behind you and getting to be 6 years old all over again!
 
burberryplaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Red Sox Nation
Posts: 2,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbie View Post
I had a question about bus transportation. I read the first post about hours and it said that the AK bus started one hour before park opening. I have an 8:25 ADR at Tusker House so do I need to take a taxi? I thought the buses started earlier for character breakfasts, but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks for the help!
We had an 8:20 resevation at Tusker House during our last trip and we were able to get there in time. We got to the bus stop at 7:20 and we had to wait 20-25 minutes but we made it. If you get to the stop early and you are willing to wait, you'll get there.
__________________
burberryplaid is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #3694
JPN4265
Don't ask the question, you may not like the answer.
 
JPN4265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vility View Post
BOAT!
we loved the boat!
Okay, the boat it is? But, once you arrive, how do you get to the stables at the front of the resort without walking the entire distance? does the resort have an interior bus service?
JPN4265 is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #3695
mmtska
I dreamed of a wish and it came true!
 
mmtska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 15 minutes from Disney, but my home will always be in Pittsburgh!
Posts: 1,604

Just booked a 6 night stay at the WL for next Christmas!! I can't wait! I've been going through this thread getting some info YAHOO!
__________________
83, 87, 6/96, 6/98, 6/09 and 7/11
DCL 7/11-Dream
Tokyo Disney/DisneySea 3/09

No trips planned for now....just the odd day at the parks whenever I want
Feeling hot, hot, HOT 7/11 PTR
The Attack of the Lime green Mickey Heads
mmtska is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #3696
tardin1964
I need it.....
I want it.....
Please........
 
tardin1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPN4265 View Post
Okay, the boat it is? But, once you arrive, how do you get to the stables at the front of the resort without walking the entire distance? does the resort have an interior bus service?

Depending on the time of day I would not take the boat. If you have morning reservations for riding the loop the boat takes at that time is WL to CR to FW. If you don't hit things right it may take you at least a half hour or more to get to FW. Then you have to take the internal FW bus to get to the front of FW. I think this is to much of a pain when you can just take a 5 minute bus ride from WL to FW and get off the bus right next to the stable.
__________________


Poly 8/79
Poly 8/81
Poly 8/83

GF 8/92
WL 11/03
WL 11/05
WL 8/08

DCL 11/10
POFQ 6/11
tardin1964 is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #3697
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic
 
Tinkerbellie16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mile High Rockies
Posts: 3,743

Has anyone stayed at the Poly and WL? If so, could you please let me know why you prefer one over the other or what the pros/cons are of WL over the Poly? I love the Poly but have been itching to stay at WL but I'm one of those types that is worried that I might make the wrong choice (you know, like the time you don't order your favorite item on the menu and you wish you had???).
Thanks!
__________________
DH ME DS (11) DD (10)


6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #3698
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!
 
rcraw45425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbus, GA, South of Atlanta
Posts: 10,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Poly and WL? If so, could you please let me know why you prefer one over the other or what the pros/cons are of WL over the Poly? I love the Poly but have been itching to stay at WL but I'm one of those types that is worried that I might make the wrong choice (you know, like the time you don't order your favorite item on the menu and you wish you had???).
Thanks!
Did a split stay with both 5 years ago. YOu will definitely notice the smaller room size of WL after the Poly, but we honestly liked WLs theming better. That said if you look at my signature you'll see that we have not stayed at either again, lol. (Although the upcoming stay is for WL) If you have never stayed at the WL, then by all means try it but just be preapared for a noticibly smaller room.
__________________
Robin
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite)



rcraw45425 is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #3699
pao62
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 37

Just got back last night

We had a great 5 night stay at WL. Has anyone else been at Disney these past few days? It is HOT!!! Wow.

Anyhow, I requested inner courtyard off lobby and was given a 6th floor room at the very end of the north wing!! Can you say opposite?

I asked if there was anything lower than 6th floor and closer to the lobby and the concierge guy made a call and moved us to 4th floor overlooking silver springs on the south wing. It was a lovely room and a great location for the bus, lobby and there was a path right below us (down two flights of stairs) that crossed the courtyard toward Roaring Forks and the boat path.

So, that's the third time I've stayed and WL and the second time my request seemed to be ignored (well, they did give me inner courtyard ). But the front desk people were happy to help us get a room location we liked better.

I was really struck by how warm and friendly the staff at WL is. I stayed at POR and CBR in the past year and the difference in how helpful and friendly the staff was at WL compared to those two resorts was glaring. Maybe it was just my personal experience but very noticeable to me.

The grounds looked wonderful and all areas seemed clean and picked up. We had great mousekeeping with our extra requests met and also towel animals everyday.

I didn't realize this, but if you miss housekeeping because you are in your room, you can call and schedule a room cleaning. We slept for a few hours our first afternoon there (did I say it was HOT???), so we missed mousekeeping. I called around 4:00 to see if it was possible and the very friendly person said it was no problem and offered me an appointment in the evening which was perfect since we were headed out to Epcot. It was SO nice to come back to a clean room with lots of towels!

In addition, since we are out early in the morning and back early in the afternoon, we requested early mousekeeping (that's how we missed out our first day when sleeping in the afternoon). Each of the next 3 days our room was cleaned when we returned early afternoon. In fact, one morning we ate at WCC and our room was done by 9:30 am when we returned.

If I had to try to complain about something, it would be the loud music at the pool each afternoon, but with the slider closed, it really wasn't a big deal. It's just the worst thing I can come up with. Not too bad, huh?

Love WL. I think I just can't go back to moderates anymore. WL spoiled me once and for all.
pao62 is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #3700
princesslover
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 628

Hi everyone -

We're headed to the WL November 30-December 7.

I've been reading this thread for months. I did have one question - we have an 8:15 ADR for Chef Mickeys for breakfast. Which would be the quickest way to get there?
princesslover is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #3701
mouskagirlie
Full-time Disney Dreamer
 
mouskagirlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1558.6mi nw of the castle
Posts: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pao62 View Post
We had a great 5 night stay at WL. Has anyone else been at Disney these past few days? It is HOT!!! Wow.

Anyhow, I requested inner courtyard off lobby and was given a 6th floor room at the very end of the north wing!! Can you say opposite?

I asked if there was anything lower than 6th floor and closer to the lobby and the concierge guy made a call and moved us to 4th floor overlooking silver springs on the south wing. It was a lovely room and a great location for the bus, lobby and there was a path right below us (down two flights of stairs) that crossed the courtyard toward Roaring Forks and the boat path.

So, that's the third time I've stayed and WL and the second time my request seemed to be ignored (well, they did give me inner courtyard ). But the front desk people were happy to help us get a room location we liked better.

I was really struck by how warm and friendly the staff at WL is. I stayed at POR and CBR in the past year and the difference in how helpful and friendly the staff was at WL compared to those two resorts was glaring. Maybe it was just my personal experience but very noticeable to me.

The grounds looked wonderful and all areas seemed clean and picked up. We had great mousekeeping with our extra requests met and also towel animals everyday.

I didn't realize this, but if you miss housekeeping because you are in your room, you can call and schedule a room cleaning. We slept for a few hours our first afternoon there (did I say it was HOT???), so we missed mousekeeping. I called around 4:00 to see if it was possible and the very friendly person said it was no problem and offered me an appointment in the evening which was perfect since we were headed out to Epcot. It was SO nice to come back to a clean room with lots of towels!

In addition, since we are out early in the morning and back early in the afternoon, we requested early mousekeeping (that's how we missed out our first day when sleeping in the afternoon). Each of the next 3 days our room was cleaned when we returned early afternoon. In fact, one morning we ate at WCC and our room was done by 9:30 am when we returned.

If I had to try to complain about something, it would be the loud music at the pool each afternoon, but with the slider closed, it really wasn't a big deal. It's just the worst thing I can come up with. Not too bad, huh?

Love WL. I think I just can't go back to moderates anymore. WL spoiled me once and for all.

Amen to that! We made the jump from CBR to WL a few years ago and it has completely ruined us for ever going back to moderates. While the moderates do have their nice qualities we just love what WL has to offer so much more
__________________
DH ME DS 8 DD 6



12/09: YC CL/WL CL (split stay) - celebration trip!
12/08 and 12/07: WL
12/00 and 12/98: CBR





mouskagirlie is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #3702
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.
 
Piglets Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania....way too far north of the Mouse!
Posts: 7,365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Poly and WL? If so, could you please let me know why you prefer one over the other or what the pros/cons are of WL over the Poly? I love the Poly but have been itching to stay at WL but I'm one of those types that is worried that I might make the wrong choice (you know, like the time you don't order your favorite item on the menu and you wish you had???).
Thanks!
I have stayed at and love both.
To me, nothing beats being in the volcano pool at the Poly and gazing across Seven Seas lagoon at the Castle.
BUT....for the money, which is at times substantially less, I LOVE WL....It is all in one building which is great in Hot, cold, or rainy weather. There are Hot Tubs at the pool, which you don't have at the Poly (but I love the zero entry at the Poly) There is a workout room and small Spa at the WL (Villas), wheras you have to walk to the GF for these things when staying at Poly. I think the Mercantile has a greater selection of convenience store type foods, as it has the Villas attached. I do prefer Captain cooks at the Poly to Roaring Forks at WL. The rooms are bigger at the Poly, but not all have balconies. For my family, WL works great right now, as the kids can get a bunk bed and there is no fighting over blankets, pillows, etc.
I also though the service at Wl was the best we'd ever had....from check-in to pool lifeguards, great mousekeepers, the sweetest CM's at the Mercantile and Pin trading cart...it just felt Magical. The Poly has a magical feel to me, as I have been going there since I was a kid with my parents in the 70's...it is just one of the things that I think of when I think of Disney, but the WL is a great value and has wonderful amenities and service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pao62 View Post
We had a great 5 night stay at WL. Has anyone else been at Disney these past few days? It is HOT!!! Wow.

Anyhow, I requested inner courtyard off lobby and was given a 6th floor room at the very end of the north wing!! Can you say opposite?

I asked if there was anything lower than 6th floor and closer to the lobby and the concierge guy made a call and moved us to 4th floor overlooking silver springs on the south wing. It was a lovely room and a great location for the bus, lobby and there was a path right below us (down two flights of stairs) that crossed the courtyard toward Roaring Forks and the boat path.

So, that's the third time I've stayed and WL and the second time my request seemed to be ignored (well, they did give me inner courtyard ). But the front desk people were happy to help us get a room location we liked better.

I was really struck by how warm and friendly the staff at WL is. I stayed at POR and CBR in the past year and the difference in how helpful and friendly the staff was at WL compared to those two resorts was glaring. Maybe it was just my personal experience but very noticeable to me.

The grounds looked wonderful and all areas seemed clean and picked up. We had great mousekeeping with our extra requests met and also towel animals everyday.

I didn't realize this, but if you miss housekeeping because you are in your room, you can call and schedule a room cleaning. We slept for a few hours our first afternoon there (did I say it was HOT???), so we missed mousekeeping. I called around 4:00 to see if it was possible and the very friendly person said it was no problem and offered me an appointment in the evening which was perfect since we were headed out to Epcot. It was SO nice to come back to a clean room with lots of towels!

In addition, since we are out early in the morning and back early in the afternoon, we requested early mousekeeping (that's how we missed out our first day when sleeping in the afternoon). Each of the next 3 days our room was cleaned when we returned early afternoon. In fact, one morning we ate at WCC and our room was done by 9:30 am when we returned.

If I had to try to complain about something, it would be the loud music at the pool each afternoon, but with the slider closed, it really wasn't a big deal. It's just the worst thing I can come up with. Not too bad, huh?

Love WL. I think I just can't go back to moderates anymore. WL spoiled me once and for all.
I'm glad you had a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslover View Post
Hi everyone -

We're headed to the WL November 30-December 7.

I've been reading this thread for months. I did have one question - we have an 8:15 ADR for Chef Mickeys for breakfast. Which would be the quickest way to get there?
Definately the boat! Fast, easy, and relaxing!
__________________
DH Me DS ,13 DD,10
Piglets Mommy is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #3703
princesslover
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 628

Quote:
Definately the boat! Fast, easy, and relaxing!
Thanks!!
princesslover is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #3704
ms mouse
DIS Veteran
 
ms mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Poly and WL? If so, could you please let me know why you prefer one over the other or what the pros/cons are of WL over the Poly? I love the Poly but have been itching to stay at WL but I'm one of those types that is worried that I might make the wrong choice (you know, like the time you don't order your favorite item on the menu and you wish you had???).
Thanks!
Its all about the balcony for us. Poly wont guarantee a balcony and even though the rooms are a little larger having the outside space to have a cup of coffee while everyone else gets ready in the morning is worth everything!
ms mouse is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #3705
Gooofy-Blade
Kentucky's Goofy
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 539

Ranger Stan is retiring on October 31, 2009 and will truly be missed by the WL Family. In tribute, I am reprinting an article published in our local newspaper about 6 years ago. Stan has it framed in his home and I'm told it is also somewhere in the WL offices.

================================================== ======

My family and I recently had an enjoyable vacation at Walt Disney World. The days were filled with the expected park visits, food, and fun. My six year old daughter met with Mickey, Minnie, and more characters than I could name. (She can!) My hopes and expectations were fulfilled in this year’s visit even though there was some apprehension about the hurricanes and damage. (Disney survived remarkably.) However, I never dreamed my six year old would also gain a simple patriotic lesson of respecting the American Flag.

Our adventure included a stay at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Simply picture the grand lodge of Yellowstone National Park with the Disney twist. The facility is remarkable in every aspect and the staff went beyond expectations to meet our needs. One particular staff member is well-known as Ranger Stan. Ranger Stan is an icon around the Lodge and I had read about him as I searched the internet for details on the Lodge. He stands proud in his ranger attire and beams with the kind of joy that would make Walt Disney himself proud. While I don’t know his age, I would presume that Ranger Stan is a retired gentlemen who is living his second childhood through his work at the Lodge. He is undoubtedly the most knowledgeable source of any information regarding the Lodge. Through my vacation planning I discovered that families staying at the Wilderness Lodge could request to be the “flag family” for the day. Although not advertised, this privilege is still sought by many. If selected, your family will receive a notice to meet Ranger Stan at the front desk early on your selected morning to begin your adventure. I had a basic idea what may occur but didn’t yet have the appreciation.

My wife, daughter, and I met Ranger Stan early Thursday morning. He immediately connected with my daughter and asked her if she would accept the privilege of carrying the American Flag on our journey. She beamed with delight at the honor and he placed her small hands around the Flag and she held it tight. He then handed the other flags to my wife and I and we began the journey to the top of the Lodge. After an elevator ride and a climb of 66 steps, (Ranger Stan provided the detail), we were on top of the Lodge, beholding the lands of Disney. The view was awesome but it wasn’t our mission. Ranger Stan guided my daughter to the center flagpole and kindly instructed her on how they would work together to raise the colors. He told her the American Flag was in the center because it deserved respect from the other flags and all those who viewed it. My daughter joyfully assisted him in preparing the colors and pulling the rope to raise them for the day. It was then that it occurred to me this was more than simply a gimmick. As we watched the wind unfurl the Flag over the kingdom, I’ll admit, I swelled with pride at what I had just observed. Ranger Stan then asked us to line up and face the Flag. I was expecting a photo-op but he asked my daughter to lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance. She proudly started and he snapped to a salute as we pledged our allegiance. My six year old had just received a valuable lesson in flag respect that too many children and adults have not. In the simple minutes of our adventure with Ranger Stan, she had learned how to carry, honor, and care for the colors. I’m sure she has heard some of this taught in school or hopefully even from me. However, the memories and pictures with Ranger Stan will undoubtedly be the lasting lesson for her.


How many others need the privilege of a few minutes with Ranger Stan? Simply attend a local ballgame and you will find your answer. As we visited for the next few minutes and completed our tasks of raising the other flags, I was able to appreciate the additional knowledge and kind demeanor of Ranger Stan. Later in the day, while swimming in the pool my daughter pointed to the Lodge roof and said, “ Look Daddy, my Flag is still flying!” Yes sweetheart, your Flag flies proudly! While there may be some things about the Disney Corporation that Mr. Disney may not be proud of today, I’m sure old Walt would be thankful for the work of a ranger named Stan.....I sure am.
__________________
"One stay at WL and hooked for a lifetime!"
Gooofy-Blade is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: