Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
ShanF
Mouseketeer

Resort Transportation - bus routes

I am trying to decide on a resort and we do not rent a car, so we rely on disney transportation, which was wonderful on our last trip at POFQ.
There are so many wonderful choices, we definitely want to stay somewhere different.
Can anyone offer some tips/advice or is there already a thread/link that lists which resorts share buses with other resort, which resorts have muliple stops, and which resorts have their own direct buses?
Thank you so much for your time!
Shannon
ShanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
mcco5543
Disabilities Awareness and Education Teacher and Consultant

Oh yes there are tons of posts regarding this on these boards. I can tell you that Coronado Springs Resort does not share any busses at all. If you have not been yet go to allears.net and you'll find everything you ever need! Have a great trip!
mcco5543 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

To be honest with you, all of the resorts have their transportation ups and downs - so I wouldn't use this as a major factor in selecting your resort. You could search for transportation threads for any of the resorts and I guarantee you would find some negative comments somewhere. Nothing is going to be perfect all the time. I would consider your budget, the location of the resort, the theme of the resort, resort amenities, and room size, all before I would consider transportation.

The previous poster mentioned CSR, for example. It doesn't share buses with other resorts, but does have several internal bus stops. That may sound bad at first, but really, having multiple bus stops can be a good thing at the end of the day when you really don't feel like hiking across your resort. On the other hand, having one bus stop, like at POP, can also have it's benefits. Everyone has the same opportunity to get a seat instead of getting on the bus at the last stop and having to stand.

I drive to WDW, but I seldom use my car once I get there. I've relied on Disney transportation probably 95% of the time, and I haven't had any major issues from any resort. So I would base your resort choice on where you want to stay, instead of how you'll get around.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanF View Post
I am trying to decide on a resort and we do not rent a car, so we rely on disney transportation, which was wonderful on our last trip at POFQ.
There are so many wonderful choices, we definitely want to stay somewhere different.
Can anyone offer some tips/advice or is there already a thread/link that lists which resorts share buses with other resort, which resorts have muliple stops, and which resorts have their own direct buses?
Thank you so much for your time!
Shannon
I agree with everything fla4fun said.

Don't get hung up on the idea that sharing buses is a bad thing. For example, Port Orleans French Quarter and Port Orleans Riverside share buses much of the time (but not all of the time), but combined they have a total of 5 stops. Coronado Springs Resort doesn't share buses but has 4 internal stops, and Caribbean Beach Resort doesn't share buses but has 7 internal stops.

The 3 All-Stars often share buses, but during peak times they usually have their own.

Most of the Deluxe resorts DO share buses, but they make up for it with their proximity to some of the parks. For example, the 3 monorail resorts and Wilderness Lodge share, in various combinations, buses to Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney. HOWEVER, you can WALK to Magic Kingdom from Contemporary, and you can take a very quick and convenient monorail from Polynesian and Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom. From Polynesian you can walk to the Transportation & Ticket Center and catch a direct monorail to Epcot, and from Contemporary and GF you can catch one monorail and transfer to another for Epcot. And from Wilderness Lodge, you can catch a boat to Magic Kingdom.

BoardWalk Inn, Beach Club and Yacht Club (along with Swan and Dolphin) usually share buses to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney, but from these resorts you can choose to walk or take a boat to both Epcot at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

So as you can see, totally separate resorts that share buses have OTHER built-in transportation advantages. In other words, it's a trade-off ... sharing buses to some parks means walking or MUCH better transportation (such as boat or monorail) to other parks.

My strong advice to you is to consider a resort based on your budget, the theme of the resort, and your preference for amenities, and then deal with/enjoy the transportation.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
cathyd
Earning My Ears

I love staying at either the Boardwalk or Beach Club. You can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and avoid the buses totally.
cathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
snowbound78
Working on 12th trip!

Buses, boats, and feet

We have never had a problem with buses at any resorts, but I usually choose to stay at the EPCOT resorts because of the ability to walk to EPCOT and the Studios. This means that 2 of 4 parks don't need any transportation. We often then just walk through EPCOT to take the monorail to the MK, so we end up only using the bus for AK. You can also catch the bus to the Boardwalk from other resorts in the evening, which is nice if you have dinner at a resort restaurant. It's an easy walk to the Swan/Dolphin or Beach Club from there, too. It's fun to take the boats to the Studios (or EPCOT, though that is ALWAYS longer) from there if you don't want to walk, though walking if often faster. You can also always get to the other resorts by bus from any of the parks, so resort hopping doesn't need to take you to the TTC.
snowbound78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I always agree that I make the bus transportation one of the lower priorities on my list; because out of your day - even when you have park hoppers, are you really spending on the bus......

POR does share with POFQ, but I have seen many times the week I go, where a bus will show up from POFQ for MK almost completely full and there is an empty one right behind it.......so I don't worry too much.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
Most of the Deluxe resorts DO share buses, but they make up for it with their proximity to some of the parks. For example, the 3 monorail resorts and Wilderness Lodge share, in various combinations, buses to Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney. HOWEVER, you can WALK to Magic Kingdom from Contemporary, and you can take a very quick and convenient monorail from Polynesian and Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom. From Polynesian you can walk to the Transportation & Ticket Center and catch a direct monorail to Epcot, and from Contemporary and GF you can catch one monorail and transfer to another for Epcot. And from Wilderness Lodge, you can catch a boat to Magic Kingdom.
I just wanted to add a little more detail about the bus sharing routes for the Magic Kingdom Resorts, which is what I have experienced. In the mornings the Contemporary will share with either the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge. So if they are sharing with the Polynesian that means the Wilderness Lodge shares with the Grand Floridian. However if the Contemporary shares with the Wilderness Lodge, then the Polynesian shares with the Grand Floridian.

Although in the afternoons/evenings the Contemporary/Polynesian/Grand Floridian all share the same bus route with the pick up and dropp off being as followed. #1 Contemporary, #2 Polynesian and #3 Grand Floridian. So that will also mean the Wilderness Lodge will share with Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: