Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
aliceinwdr
Disney FANatic

Who invited Grandma?? - PTR - Sept. 2008 - 10 People -8 Days and 4 Birthdays *Updated

Hello DIS over-planners like myself. I know currently my posts are few - but after lurking for a while I decided as all other addicts - I must share in the excitement!

I have been planning our 8 day vacation to WDW now since March and as it gets closer I can't wait!

When: September 12-20th

Where: All Star Music Hotel (2nd time to stay there)

What: 8 days of non-stop rope drop to park close action on free dining - so lots of food involved!

How: Every year I sit and price a WDW vacation online - so this year I was dreaming my dreams - trying to decide how to pay for the whole family to go in August - when Lo and Behold - what did my eyes see? FREE DINING!! What?? Is Disney crazy? And it is during school - so a good excuse not to take the older kids! WOOHOO! My dream was starting....

This is where it all starts going wrong. Before I introduce the cast - I have to say that my family and I have been traveling together for years. So...I called my Sister - "Hey - we are going to Disney!" and then my parents - "We are going to Disney" and that is how it all started...

So now to the cast:

Me: Disney Mom - I will be turning 37 on this trip - celebrating my Birthday! My first trip to Disneyworld was in the Summer of 71 - what you say - I wasn't born yet? What you ask - WDW wasn't even open then? My dad had been offered a job by Disney and they (soon to be new parents) went to Orlando to check out the job at WDW. According to my mom my dad looked around at the big pile of dirt and didn't think it would become anything! Shame - please don't throw tomatoes at them if you see us in the parks - they changed their minds. My mom every time we go tells my father "If you had just taken that job - you could be a VP by now!" So that is why I think I am a Disney addict! I got to go before they were open!

Since then - they took us almost every year - at least every other year. Back then we stayed at the Coronado or the poly because that is all that was there! Somewhere lost in my garage I have a bunch of old photos of me as a kid in the parks.

Our last big Family trip to WDW was in 1991 - when I had my first Wedding at WDW. This was even before the wedding planners were there. Here is how that happenned - Grandma said we couldn't go unless we were married - so what did I do - plan a Disney wedding! I even made my sister dress up like Minnie Mouse - ears and all in the ceremony! (Have pictues - will try and find them too). Alas - the moral of this story is - Don't get married just for a free trip to Disneyworld! The magic wore off soon and the fairytale was over. But hey - I did get a trip to WDW out of it. That was me, (ex), sister, parents and....Grandma. We stayed at the old PORFQ before the Riverside was there.

So - fast forward to 1999 - right before the Millineum - I had made a friend who loved Disney as much as I do - but had never gone before. So - being the perfect host that I am - off we went. By far it was THE BEST trip to WDW I have ever had. No family arguements - no fussing - just go and have a good time - we saw everything and it was great. The park was all fixed up for the millimeum too which was cool.

Then in 2001 - When I met my loving DH, we met online and his profile said "That one day he wanted to take his kids to WDW" So being the dream maker that I am - I took him and my 2 step-daughters to WDW for their first time. It was really neat - the kids were 5 and 6 then. There will be cute stories to come of their first trip! And sadly...that was my last trip until now!

I have been the planning addict all of these years - Commando Tour Guide - and knower of all things Disney. Until I started reading these boards - I LOVE You DIS! How did I now know about Free Dining before? I can't wait to look for paintbrushes on TS island! I already got my Alien Green Mickeys! My DH thinks I am crazy for ALWAYS reading the DIS boards.

I will introduce the rest of the cast later - and I have photos - but for some reason it says I still can't post - be right back with those!

But - we still need to know - Who invited Grandma???

Last edited by aliceinwdr; 09-01-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
tlhbdm
1354.40 miles away from the mouse

I'm joining in to hear about your wonderful trip!
1992-Carribean Beach, 1993-POFQ, 1996-POFQ, 2001-POFQ, 2002-POR , 2005-Cornado Springs , 2006-Pop Century , May 2007-Pop Century, , December 2007-Contemporary, 2009-SSR, 2010-WLV, 2011-WLV , 2013-POR & Off-site, 2014-WL

Me(25) DH(26)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
snowwhite325
Another Tag Dreamer... pinch me, am I sleeping?

I love your title I can't wait to read more

Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
aliceinwdr
Disney FANatic

Who Invited Grandma

OK - Here is my first photo to post! This is us at WDW in 2001 on the kids favorite ride - Splash Mountain!

They look like they are having a great time right!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
aliceinwdr
Disney FANatic

Who Invited Grandma??

Thanks to the readers who have joined along!

So now the big plans have started - I just have to tell DH - since school will be in - we can go with just the three of us:

1. ME
2. DH - Likes Disney - but like most does not understand my love for all things Disney. He likes to laugh with other DHs who talk about their wives with their iteneraries - maps - schedules. He says he will just show up - but does expect an iteneray from me for all vacations.
3. Princess Tootie - Our DD who will be turning three right before we leave - so we are celebrating her Birthday too. Mommy has been ruining her all year - with Princess EVERYTHING and we watch all of the Disney movies all day ( I want her to know the characters when we get there). Right now we are watching Alice (my favorite character). Oddly enough - she likes Princesses - but if she gets to choose her favorite DVD - it is Buzz Light...so we watch a LOT of Toy Story every day! she thinks she is flying Buzz Ligytyear's plane to WDW too - every time one goes over the house- "Look - Buzz Light Plane!" The worst thing you can do with a toddler is let them decide between a princess or ariel cup..decisions...decisions...

Oh - our trip will be perfect...just the three of us...

Well - our oldest DD (we will call her Princess Text Message) is a good kid...and we do need someone to help us keep up with Princess Tootie...but school will have started...should we take her??

OK - DD Princess Text Message can go along - after all she and I have the same Birthday - so we can't go on vacation for my Birthday and not take her too. So - now we have three birthdays on the trip. Since she is much older now - not sure if she will be too cool for WDW?? Or-can we take away the cell phone - yes she has 4,000+ messages a month!

Our favorite story of her - is on our first trip in 2001 (I think at AK) she walked up to an unknown male - grabbed his hand and said "Daddy...(about to say will you buy me)" when the horror struck in that it was not Daddy! The guy was OK - but she still gets very upset whenever we talk about it! HAHA

There is one more DD - the classic middle child - and she is NOT going - she is a vacation wrecker. Last Summer we took her on vacation and she tried to make the whole trip miserable. We swore - NO more vacations for her! She is not going...

So - now there are four of us...

But who invited Grandma???
Old 08-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
disneydusted
DIS Veteran

Ok, now you really have me hooked! I am wondering who invited Grandma??? Good line to keep us guessing! Sounds like an interesting story coming up....
Old 08-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
aliceinwdr
Disney FANatic

Who Invited Grandma??

Back again -

Think...Think...Think...(Pooh on right now)

Since there are only 4 of us, I really want to stay at the POR Riverside and go Moderate.

And then Mom calls - Dad says they want to go too - (Everyone loves Princess Tootie and wants to go on her first trip) So now Mom and Dad are coming along too. Remember the last time they got to go was 1991.

Mom: Also thinks she is an expert of all things Disney - she got to really see the pile of dirt before it was built. Lots of stories about way back when - loves to tell how she made reservations three years in advance (it was different back then) and we had ressies for the opening week of Epcot. We had to give up those ressies and the lady at the desk thought she was crazy for cancelling them. Loves dining at Disney - and is an avid snacker around the World. Addicted to Mickey Mouse ear ice creams.

Dad: Very active for his age - is probably one of the only ones who will be able to keep up his Disney Commando daughter! His favorite rides are Pirates of the Carribean and the Country Bear Jamboree. He can't wait to ride EE and this will be their first time to AK. Poor dad just got back from a trip to Canada with three women (more later) - 21 days - Luggage in the car- Luggage out of the car...every day. I am really am glad he is coming - he is crazy about Princess Tootie and they rarely get to see her because we live so far away from each other.

I have pictures of my parents - my mom never smiles in pictures- and if you have ever seen Steel Magnolias - she has "Helmet Hair" most of the time. I have pictures of her not smiling at my wedding - so she may kill me for posting these. If you see her making this face at WDW it is because they are out of Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Bars!

So - since Mom and Dad are coming - I figure we better go cheaper - so this is when I finally call to book our trip. Only I didn't know the Free Dining packages would be so limited...my first choice was POP- no rooms - 2nd choice - All Star Movies - no rooms - and my 3rd choice was Music which we got. We stayed there last time and I liked it - just wanted a change of scenery. I am very glad now after reading all of the reviews. My only concern is getting a back building and I have to run the drinks and food every day back and forth.

So - now we are up to six people going...but who invited Grandma?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
aliceinwdr
Disney FANatic

Update - who invited grandma

WHOA - I think the picture of Mom scared everyone!

I told her I posted it - and she said she will be probably look like that most of the time ..Grandma again.

So - I will go ahead and add now that Mom calls me up and says "You know your grandmother (her mother) thinks she is going too." No problem I say and I go ahead and put her in my parent's room. Yes - at Christmas Grandma did start saying - "we need to take our princess Tootie to Disneyworld." So - at this point Grandma is going. Why are we all so worried?? More details to follow.

REALLY GOOD NEWS - My sister and her husband are going to go too! Only they want to stay in their time share off property.

SIS - She is my younger sister - just the two of us - has not been to WDW since 1991 when I made her dress up like Mickey Mouse in my first wedding. Addicted to shopping - but I think we will have a blast. We still say she needs to write the unofficial guide to WDW bathrooms - because she will visit all of them. So glad she is coming too - I hardly ever get to see her anymore - we live too far apart. This should be really fun!

BIL - Classic non-believer - this will be his first trip ever to any Disney property. He is one of those who says "isn't it just like Six Flags? We have one of those down the street." Sis has been trying to explain it to him - but I plan on getting him one of the My First Trip pins. I think he will really enjoy it - he isn't cranky or anything. Princess Tootie loves him and calls him "Uncle Daddy"

And - they don't have any kids YET but are planning on soon - so this trip will be great for them to practice with Princess Tootie. (Especially Sis who needs the reality check!)

So now there are 9 of us. But remember the middle child - the vacation WRECKER - she is still NOT going!

So - do you want to meet Grandma?

Grandma - still kickin at 86 - more stubborn and independant than Princess Tootie the toddler. Only - her kickin is slowing down - and sometimes we have to remind her what day of the week it is. she too has not been since 1991 and we think she still has memories of just the Magic Kingdom - you stay at the Comtemporary and ride the monorail over to MK. Every time we try to explain the size - the busses - the walking - four parks - 2 water parks - value resorts - it just doesn't sink in. She went on many trips with us when we were kids - so it was a family thing. So - what's the big deal??

My parents just took their second annual Summer vacation to Canada driving cross country with her and my aunt - and she just sits in the car. In the car - out of the car. My parents get out and see things - and they wait in the car. She rarely even got out to eat according to my mother. The trips are her idea - I guess to see what she can out the van window...last year they were at Yellowstone - and she wouldn't even get out to walk to see Old Faithful!! This year she barely walked accross the street to see Niagra Falls???

There is no car to wait in at Disneyworld!! (Only that is why she is insisting they drive - so she has the van - but we told her once we checked in - she would never see it again until she checks out)

So - now we spend every conversation trying to talk her into renting an ECV (motorcart) her stubborn / independant self will NEVER agree to it. So I decided we need to paint it camoflauge and tell her it is a new 4 wheeler. (Did I mention she lives in the country and rides 4 wheelers)

She has already said she does not want to ride any rides - and if she is too tired she will just go back to the room (which is NOT in my itenerary) and would require someone going back with her.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Grandma - I just want to make sure we all get to see something. We pushed my other Grandma all over Vegas in a wheelchair (Watch out for the down/exit moving sidewalks - they are doosies)- and we can do it at Disneyworld too! (BTW - other grandma can not travel anymore either- and she really loves WDW)

But still - nobody know who invited Grandma - but she is going! I will have my name and cell phone on bracelets for her and the toddler for Disney lost and found!

OK - plans to follow...
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
tlhbdm
1354.40 miles away from the mouse

I'm still here I love your updates they are kind of funny
1992-Carribean Beach, 1993-POFQ, 1996-POFQ, 2001-POFQ, 2002-POR , 2005-Cornado Springs , 2006-Pop Century , May 2007-Pop Century, , December 2007-Contemporary, 2009-SSR, 2010-WLV, 2011-WLV , 2013-POR & Off-site, 2014-WL

Me(25) DH(26)
Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
aliceinwdr
Disney FANatic

Back!!

Hello everyone - Back - it is back to school time - so have been a little busy. So when we last left you - we had introduced Grandma.

If found - please return to any Disney employee and hopefully they can help her find her room - since she thinks when she gets tired she will just go back to the room. Hello ... that is why we are going to all of the shows - so Grandma can take a Nap! Hopefully she doesn't snore too loud.

So - there are 9 of us going now - so I go ahead and start making all of our pland and ADRs. And yes in April - I still could not everything we wanted - I could not get near La Cellier for anything - or 50's Prime Time Cafe for anytime! or Ohana...but that is good.

So general plans...

Friday night - arrive
All Star Music

Saturday - Animal Kingdom
Breakfast with Donald Duck
Dinner - BOMA - AKL

Sunday - Magic Kingdom
Lunch Crystal Palace
(Princess Tootie just started saying Eeyore - it is so cute)

Monday - DHS
Lunch - Sci Fi Diner

Tuesday - Epcot
Lunch - Coral Reef
Dinner - Chefs de France
**Oh no - we have a toddler - will have to let everyone know in post trip report how that goes = ) as some posts say they frown on young children

Wednesday - Water Parks then Momorail around resorts tour and electric light water parade
Dinner - 1900 Park Fare
(For the little princess tootie)

Thursday - MK EMH/ Water park/ Epcot
Dinner - San Angel Inn

Friday - Animal Kingdom/ Epcot
Dinner - Askerhaus Princess Dinner
(For the little Princess Tootie)

Saturday - Free Day/ Leave
We have a late flight - so this is make-up day to see whatever we haven't seen. I may try to get last minute lunch ressies at WCC if nothing else to do - looks like a lot of fun.

I am not that hung up on our counter service meals - my goal - stop and eat when we are hungry - in an area we are in at the time - we can't do a lot of back-tracking with grandma and our large party. We have never really eaten too many CS restaurants - so on my list are:
Yak and Yeti CS or Flame Tree
Cosmic Rays or Pinnochio Haus
Sunshine Seasons - Tangerine Cafe or any CS in World showcase countries
Pizza Planet - Nothing sounds good in DHS
Most breakfasts will be at All Star Music

I would say there is no itnerary - but there was one - a nine page spreadsheet - then I said whatever - and gave up. Then I made another one - and we mailed it to grandma - to show her that one the first day it is a 2 mile walk from our hotel - to the bus stop - to the restaurant in the back of AK for breakfast and we have to be there by 7:45 AM. We are still hoping to get her to rent one of those fancy new park 4 wheelers (with 2 wheels) ie. an ECV.

You guys remember the Middle child - the vacation wrecker - she still isn't going!

Up next:
More touring plans...
Shopping...(can you spend more money than you spend on a vacation before you even leave??) Will Disney PLEASE stop sending me all those e-mails with deals and FREE shipping!!

And...more stories of Grandma!!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
2BusyPlanning
DIS Veteran

I, for one, love the pic of your mom at the wedding. And when you add in the line about being out of Mickey bars...

Can't wait to hear more!

Next Trip:
September 20, 2014
DCL - Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean - AGAIN!
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374528876126214/

1st DCL cruise: Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean, September 21-28, 2013 - My Blog
Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
2BusyPlanning
DIS Veteran

Oh, and I hope the middle child is still not going!

Next Trip:
September 20, 2014
DCL - Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean - AGAIN!
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374528876126214/

1st DCL cruise: Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean, September 21-28, 2013 - My Blog
Old 08-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
mickcw1109
Mouseketeer

sounds like it will be quite the trip! We will be at the world the 12 - 18th of sept. if you are going then maybe we will see ya there, can't miss the scowl of the mother.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
disneydusted
DIS Veteran

So it sounds like your plans have shaped up and you are getting ready to go... I hope you don't have to issue an APB on Grandma when she thinks she is heading back to the room by herself! Better keep an eye on her!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #15
aliceinwdr
Disney FANatic

Who Invited Grandma

Thanks everyone -

Grandma got her 19 page itenerary in the mail - and according to her - it is too much - and we will have to slow down for her. But I talked to her yesterday and she sounds OK for now. Guess we will have to wait and see...we still can't talk her into pre-renting and ecv in the parks. She did mention that when we are riding the rides, she can sit and wait on a bench. So we will be double using our baby swaps so we can watch Princess Tootie (who is just not going to stretch to 40" yet) and Grandma at the same time!

BTW - Happy Dance The kids started school today - no more sleeping until 3:00 PM in the afternoon for them. HAHA

And yes - we are taking the kids out of school to go to WDW. Last time I did, they were in elementary - and I wrote a 2 page letter to the principal about the educational benifits of WDW. He said it was the best letter he had ever seem from a parent! Still un-excused absence - but they gave them all their homework to work on.

This time - they wont be out a full week (they are going home early).

Also - we need to re-name Princess Text Message - from here on out we call her Princess Bubbles. (That is what Tootie calls her).

So - the middle child - "Princess Sissy" we will call her (as Princess Tootie does). Age 13 (14 by the time we leave) She is a TOTAL vacation wrecker - she can scowl worse than Mom does! And we said we wouldn't take her! We took everyone to San Antonio and Sea World last year (A traditional Texas vacation) and the two sisters didn't want to ride any rides together - she didn't want to do anything and refused to participate in much of everything. She is also one of those who thinks that as soon as she is done with her meal - everyone else should be done because she is bored and will annoy everyone and whine until we leave. She did absolutely nothing this Summer. When we told her we were going her response was "I will only go is "Susie" can come along" she wanted us to pay for one of her freinds to go because:

a. She has NO concept of money or what things cost and
b. She does not want to do anything with her older sister

That was out of the question - then come to find out that she barely even remembers going to WDW - so I broke out the pictures from the last trip and she kinda wanted to go.

DH says it is her birthday too (which is why we aren't going the week before, because we were leaving her at home and couldn't be on vacation for her birthday). So DH talks me into adding her - and she was a sweet child ...

For about a week! Then as soon as she was paid for - the old Princess Sissy came back out.

However, Princess Tootie loves her too - and they play every day - and Princess Sissy paints her nails and her toes and lets her watch TV in her room and they hang out. She is the only one Princess Tootie will listen to as well. Here they are after a makeover:

So - now - YES the middle child is going. Although after what she just did to our phone bill (did I mention no concept of what things cost - although I think it says what those downloads cost when you download them!)- I may regret it.

If she tries to wreck this vacation - the Disney Love will come out!

BTW - now I have to call Disney back again to change ALL of our ADRS and try and make them for 10 people - not an easy task - and one of them I could not change - so Princess Tootie may have to sit in my lap!

Most ressies I have a table of 6 and 4 and we will probably sit apart from each other - OK with me!

Tommorrow is a BIG day - it is Princess Tootie's 3rd birthday! She picked out a tink party - and she wants a "Little" cake. Just a family thing since we are officially celebrating at WDW all of our B-days. But - she has to open all of her presents that mommy has been buying her online and the Disney store so that she can wear them on vacation! (I think she will have two Disney outfits per day)!

So - fashion show pics to come - because Mommy loves to shop! (Even though this was my budget vacation - HAHA - I did get GREAT sales at the Disney Store)

Talk to my Disney friends later!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: