Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Surviving Fay Disney Style

Hey everybody! We made it back. We survived Fay and had a great time. So here goes a trip report of sorts, hopefully with a lot of pictures. Here is the cast:

Me - I am the trip planner, the leader of the pack so to speak. I live for our Disney vacations and am very blessed that we get to go often.

DH - Loves golf and Disney. Goes with the flow and lets me do all the planning. Pretty much just shows up when and where I tell him to.

DD - Aubrey 6 yo princess all the way. Loves all the thrill rides the scarier the better.

DS - Ashton 18 mos. Loves Mickey and his Mama. Actually he is just our little lover dover.

Now for just a little bit of background info:

Last year DD was diagnosed with Epilepsy. She does not have convulsive seizures and should outgrow them by the time she reaches puberty. We had some issues with the first two medications she was placed on but so far the third one is the charm. She is doing much better, but still has seizures on a daily basis. The seizures cause balance issues as well as stamina issues as well. We went to Disney Dec 2007 and it was a very difficult trip for us. We had a good time, but it was trying to say the least. She just wasn't able to handle the waits and all the walking etc.

So I did some research here on the Dis and found out about the GAC and the ability to use the stroller as a wheelchair. Let me just tell you it made a world of difference. This trip was night and day from the December trip. Of course there were those that snubbed their noses and whispered things as we went past them, simply because dd doesn't have an outwardly noticable disability. Most people however, were all smiles and the majority of the CM's were great and really made us feel like royalty rather than embarrased for using the GAC.

So there you have it. All caught up and ready to go.

Up next Day 1...Planes, trains and automobiles!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Planes, trains and Automobiles

Woohoo finally it is time to go to Disney!!! We wake the kids, dh loads the van up and we feed the kids breakfast before we leave. The main reason we did this is to get Aubrey's seizure meds in before we hit the airport. They are sprinkles that we place in her food which really helps to get the medicine in easily. Ok, everyone is all set and off we go..

The drive wasn't overly exiting, as soon as the van was started "Alice" (our navigation system) announced to the kids that it was time to go to Disney! Then we began playing the High School Musical soundtrack which ironically had been qued up to play "What Time is It?" LOL can't figure out how that happened. So we listened to the cd and Aubrey and I were singing along when dh started with the "I forgots". The conversation went something like:

dh: I forgot to pack tylenol.
Me: I packed it.
Dh: I forgot to pack chapstick.
Me: I packed it.
DH: I forgot to pack..
Me: I packed it. Aren't you glad you're married to me?

By now we have made it to the offsite parking lot and loaded onto the shuttle bus. About 5 mins later we were being dropped off at the terminal. We checked our bags and headed thru security. When all of a sudden I couldn't find the ginormous ziplock bag of all our prescriptions! It had been in the diaper bag I was using as my personal item. We thought maybe it fell out on the shuttle bus, so we stopped and called the lot. They checked with the driver who said no it wasn't on the bus. That meant it could only be in the van. So they sent the shuttle back to pick up dh. I armed him with his boarding pass and his passport (Yes, I know we didn't have to have passports but it is faster thru security and yes, I do keep control of his boarding pass as well. LOL) So dh checked the van and sure enough the bag had fallen out in the van. WHEW!

In the meantime, I took the carryon bag, both kids and their backpacks, my bag and the stroller for the longest flippin walk in history to our gate. Dh finally made it back with the ziplock in tow to which I replied...."Aren't you glad you are married to me?"

We got a bite for ourselves, Aubrey and I made a bathroom stop and we boarded the plane headed to Orlando! Only to go no where! For some reason we sat on the runway for almost 45 mins! Ok so anyone who has flown with small children knows I'm not kidding when I say this is what we looked like when we finally took off!

We finally took off and the pilot made up for a little bit of the lost time. We jumped off the plane, grabbed the stroller and headed straight to the ME bus via the fake monorail to get us to the terminal. We were on our way to POR in no time. So for a recap, we have driven our van, rode a bus, flew on a plane, rode a train and then another bus just to get to our hotel. And then things really went downhill.

Here are a few pics of the kids in the Orlando airport as we waited for the stroller to be delivered.

Last edited by adisneymama; 08-23-2008 at 08:57 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

I'm In

Really sounds like the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I am glad your discovered the GAC Card and were able to have a better trip than last year

Now what is next?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Up next is our nightmare check in experience. But that will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm still on eastern time and I'm wiped! Thanks for reading and welcome aboard!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

What is a GAC Card?

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisneymama View Post
Up next is our nightmare check in experience. But that will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm still on eastern time and I'm wiped! Thanks for reading and welcome aboard!
That is right you are an hour behind me and your system needs time to adjust for sure.

Thanks....I will look forward to more tomorrow

Good Night
Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
shoppgirl
DIS Veteran

Great start...I can't wait to hear how Fay treated you! I had to chuckle when you referred to your Nav system in the car as "Alice"! We call ours SAL, because DH thinks she sounds like the female version of HAL from the movie 2001:A Space Odyssey!!!!
Disney Dream Cruise July 2012

Animal Kingdom Lodge May 2013
Disneyland Hotel March 2014
Grand Floridian December 2014
Old 08-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
KYCruiseCrazy
I'll be drooling and dreaming
Never know how the pixie dust will fall
Keep a look out for a white kia with a DCL antenna topper

Glad you made it back safely!! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story. So far it is hilarious. It couldn't have been that bad an experience. Remember, a bad day at Disney is always better than a great day at home/work.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
What is a GAC Card?
The GAC stands for Guest Assistance Card. It is designed so that you can get the extra assistance you may need while visiting Disney. Things like waiting in a shady area, stopping the moving platform on rides like PP if necessary. I'll go into more details as the report goes on. HTH

I'll try to get an update later today. Need to finish unpacking first and I have to get all of Aubrey's things ready for the 1st day of school tomorrow. Welcome to everyone that has joined.

John you have no idea....don't get me wrong we didn't let it get to us!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
peacelovemickey
I followed the directions step by step

I am in! Hello neighbor! We start school tomorrow too!
]June 1990 Offsite 1 day trip Nov 1998 Port Orleans Before Kids Nov 2000 Coronado Springs DD 1st b-day Nov 2004 Fort Wilderness DS 1st trip June 2006 POFQ Just Mom, Kids and Me July 2007 Anniversary Trip to Boardwalk Concierge Nov 2007 Ft. Wilderness in the 5th Wheel! AKL June '09 AKL/DCL July '10 Boardwalk Inn Nov. '11
In Memory of Bob Varley 4/28/08 Who now lives in the most Magical Kingdom of all! Miss you Bob!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

I'm here for the ride!

Happy to hear the GAC helped you have a wonderful trip!
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
GymboAddict
Mouseketeer

I'm in......can't wait for check-in story!

Wendy
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

I'm in as well.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
mtmbyck
I AM Canadian eh!

Are you up? Are you Up? Canadians are up and ready to hear all of the excitement.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisneymama View Post
The GAC stands for Guest Assistance Card. It is designed so that you can get the extra assistance you may need while visiting Disney. Things like waiting in a shady area, stopping the moving platform on rides like PP if necessary. I'll go into more details as the report goes on. HTH

I'll try to get an update later today. Need to finish unpacking first and I have to get all of Aubrey's things ready for the 1st day of school tomorrow. Welcome to everyone that has joined.

John you have no idea....don't get me wrong we didn't let it get to us!
Yeah, after reading this I did more research on it. I may have to look into getting one for John. I'm glad that Fay didn't spoil your trip. Now that you guys are home, I can't wait to hear how Aubrey liked the new Toy Story ride. Joey and John are in Memphis and Arkansas with their grandparents until late tomorrow, so I'll have to let them know on Tuesday.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: