Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 619 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #1321
AlternateEgo
Missing the House of the Mouse

I know this would be a huge undertaking, but it would be oooooh so convenient to have the page links on the first page

Next trip TBD - thinking 11-2015 with

Summer '92 Offsite , 9 '07 ASMu FDDP , 9 '09 CSR FDDP-Honeymoon 9 '11 POR FDDP
AlternateEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #1322
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcaks & Booze, Running PHM

Summer Movie Marathon: Harry Potter 1-7.1

Summer Movie Marathon
Harry Potter 1-7.1
July 9-14

Each night we tried to watch 1-2 movies in the series. I had some many fun things planned for this week, but between trying to watch all of the movies and coming off a week of lots of movies/activities I think we were all tired of movie nights. I had planned to have the kids make wands and then practice their spells afterwards. We had also planned to make potions, but sadly it just was not done either. What we did do was have 1 special meal along with making a Honeyduke's Candy store that we left out all week…and munched on after dinner while watching the next movie in the series.

Menu:

Banger and Mash Hand Pies

This was a great recipe, a very traditional English meal (Bangers & Mash) made into these great little sandwich pies. DH loved them…so I can see myself making more of them in the future.

Herbology Experiment

This is one of our favorite salads…broccoli, cauliflower, olives, scallions, cheese chunks with ranch dressing and bacon bits…just renamed it.

Butterbeer

I fell in love with butterbeer last summer at WWofHP! While the recipe I found is not the real thing as USO sells, it is pretty close! The kids got to take out their butter beer mugs that I brought back from WWofHP to use (does this give you any hint of how many...minimum... of those darn drinks I must have cosummed in 3 days?)

Ron’s Spider web Trifle

I wanted to make a traditional British dessert, a trifle and then put a HP twist on it by making a spider web on top. I wish I would have had a few plastic spiders to really add to the effect.

Honeyduke’s

Ab made all the labels for the candy. She did such a great job! Here is what we included in our “Honeyduke’s”:

Cockroach Clusters (no bake cookies)
Pepper Imps (hot tamales)
Dumbledore’s Lemon Drops (lemon drops)
Drooble’s Best Blowing Gum (gum balls)
Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans (jelly beans)
Licorice Wands (twizzlers)
Ale Bottles (Coke Gummy Bottles)

Here are a couple pictures from the midnight release. I wish that I would have taken some of all the people dressed up in costume. There were some great Harry’s, Weasley Family, Voldomore, and even a golden snitch.

Line at 8:00 pm, yep the boys wanted to line up 4 hour early!!!!

Boo and his Friend Riley
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #1323
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcaks & Booze, Running PHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternateEgo View Post
I know this would be a huge undertaking, but it would be oooooh so convenient to have the page links on the first page
You are so right...the original starter of the thread popped in a few weeks ago and was going to try to update the the index! As hard as it was, I have gone through this thread page by page several times making notes. Everyone does such a great job of trying to make each movie night their own, adding new ideas and twists!
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #1324
Becc1
DIS Veteran

We finally got around to doing another theme afternoon/night. The kids have been asking almost every morning if we were doing a movie day that day so since it has been so gosh darn hot outside I decided to make a good excuse for staying inside all day.

The movie was Pirates of the Caribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl We started off with decorating, Sam gathered up some of his POTC toys that were in his room, I know we have a ton more in the playroom somewhere but the thought of going through the toys boxes down there looking for them was not something I looked forward to so we made do with what he could gather. Sam also dressed in his Jack Sparrow costume and Emily wore her Ariel costume because of the mermaids that are in POTC 4.

Then it was movie time. Movie snacks were popcorn and mermaid tail cookies. I know there are no mermaids in the first movie but when I started to plan this day out I was going to do it when we went to POTC 4 in the theaters but we never got around to having it then so I went ahead and used my mermaid ideas.

During the movie the kids did a couple of crafts, they decorated door hangers thingies and made a mermaids cove with my help.

After the movie I surprised the kids with a treasure hunt! They were so cute running around the house from clue to clue. At the end of the hunt they found baskets with a few treats!

The humidity outside kept fogging up my camera lens, I told you it was hot outside!

Don't mind the mess, my kids have hundreds of books and as hard as I try to keep them organized and neat looking, it's nearly impossible, lol

I printed these little pirate guides out from Familyfun.com, I thought they were really cute!

Continued in next post

Can I really keep my mouth shut for the next 6 months?
Princesses don't hit, kick or spit! A May/June 2011 TR

Becc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #1325
Becc1
DIS Veteran

This was a cute necklace craft that DD had in her basket!

Some of the decorations

Dinner was kept simple, cannonball sandwiches with sword fries and watermelon. I had the meatballs in a slowcooker all afternoon so I could sit and enjoy the movie instead of worrying about getting dinner together. Dessert were simple cupcakes and more cannonballs, plain and chocolate covered rice krispy treats. I also made a Mickey treat for DH to enjoy tonight when he gets home since he worked this evening.

After dinner, DSs went downstairs to play Lego Pirates of the Caribbean on Wii while DD and I started a pirate ship craft that we never got finished. It was a fun day, I'm glad we finally got around to doing it and the kids are already asking when our next theme night is

Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #1326
Macduffy
DIS Veteran

Lilo and Stitch!

We watched my favorite Disney movie last night - Lilo and Stitch!!
We went with a Luau theme and played it safe with Hawaiian pizza. For dessert we each made our own "beach" cakes.
After the movie we did science experiments -since stitch was experiment 626.
DS5 made an underwater Volcano (very cool BTW), DS3 changed water color by using vegatables (actually pretty neat too) and DH made a balloon blow up by using vinegar and baking soda. The kids had a BLAST - here are some pics!

This is you. This is your badness level. It's unusually high from someone your size. - Lilo to Stitch
Macduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #1327
Macduffy
DIS Veteran

Alice in Wonderland

Here are some pictures of our Alice and Wonderland Night. We had tea party food and made Hats for our activity!

This is you. This is your badness level. It's unusually high from someone your size. - Lilo to Stitch
Macduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #1328
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Love the watermelon shark!!

I love the POTC and Harry Potter nights! I can't wait until my kids are into those movies. They kind of like them, maybe we should just go for it .

We had a low-key Alice in Wonderland night. We just watched the movie and had a tea party themed dinner. Some photos:

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #1329
figment3258
DIS Veteran

That watermelon shark is so cool!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #1330
heatherbynum
Peace, Love, Disney & Hanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess View Post
We are counting down our trip with surprise Disney Days that include a themed day and movie. We had our first this past Tuesday and it was 'Lady & the Tramp'

Tinkerbell delivered a special postcard from Mickey declaring it 'Disney Day'

Activities included L&T coloring pages I found via Google and playing "Doggie Doggie, where's my bone?"

Lunch: hot dogs

Later in the afternoon, DD and DS helped me make cupcakes and meatballs

Menu and Table set-up

I served dessert while we watched the movie. I googled spaghetti cupcakes and found some pictures. I have been told that the recipe for these can be found in a book, "Hello Cupcake"

I used buttercream icing, raspberry preserves (as the sauce), Ferraro Rocher chocolates for the meatballs, and grated white chocolate for the parmesean cheese.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #1331
jubelee1872000
Mouseketeer

Help!

I LOVE all these ideas and I am gathering stuff/ideas to start settting mine up! I saw in some of the posts there were those printable little decorations that you color and then stand up on the table. Then you make a circle bottom to hold them up does anyone know where I can get those? I did look on the Disney Family Website but, they are not there..

Thanks!!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #1332
Becc1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubelee1872000 View Post
I LOVE all these ideas and I am gathering stuff/ideas to start settting mine up! I saw in some of the posts there were those printable little decorations that you color and then stand up on the table. Then you make a circle bottom to hold them up does anyone know where I can get those? I did look on the Disney Family Website but, they are not there..

Thanks!!
Go to the Disney Junior section on the Disney site, then go to coloring pages. The cut outs are in there, they have ones for lots of different movies! Also not sure if this is the site you were looking on but they often have print outs for different characters. http://family.go.com/disney/pkg-disney-character-fun/

Old 07-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #1333
AlternateEgo
Missing the House of the Mouse

I have been doing family movie nights thanks to all your wonderful ideas. I haven't posted our nights on here, mostly because its easy to download to facebook and it would take so much time to upload to a host then here (I'm lazyish)

So our next movie should be Monsters, Inc.

I am copying the page listing to this post and going to update with hyper links to the particular post. It should make it easier for others and since I am looking them up anyway...

47, 219, 326, 340, 411, 476, 536, 554, 800, 851, 1107

Next trip TBD - thinking 11-2015 with

Summer '92 Offsite , 9 '07 ASMu FDDP , 9 '09 CSR FDDP-Honeymoon 9 '11 POR FDDP

Last edited by AlternateEgo; 07-23-2011 at 06:01 PM.
AlternateEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #1334
budafam
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to comment on the newest nights! Very impressive! I'm really excited since DH just gave me the "go ahead" to start planning our May 2012 trip (this will be our second trip - having completed our first one only 2 months ago!) We're taking my MIL this time and the planning is in FULL swing already (including movie nights of course)! We'll be doing one day at Universal for Harry Potter & Jurassic Park. Can't wait!!!!
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM

budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #1335
Kari-B
Mouseketeer

Finding Nemo Movie Night

Here is our Finding Nemo movie night, it was a fun one!

Found this movie poster sign (made of a plastic/canvas type material) at a garage sale this summer for $1!!!! Perfect! I just painted the very bottom of the sign with various blues to look like water and cover up the movie shop's writing. (Didn't actually end up needing to do that, because it was covered by the table.) I also added a "Finding Nemo" sign to cover up the movie shop's logo.

Dinner

Bruce's Fish Are Friends Not Food Fish Sticks

Crush's Shells & Cheese

Sheldon's Seaweed

Nemo's Goldfish Gang

Tank Gang's Mini Aquariums

Dory's Salty Sea Water (punch)

Brownie Cupcakes (no cute name)

Fish Craft (using plastic two liter bottles)

Go Fish

We also played "Finding Nemo" (hide and seek) and "Jellyfish Sting" (keep the balloon jellyfish in the air).
Kari-B is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: