Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 793 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #1261
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

Summer Movie Afternoons (June 2): ET & Men in Black

Summer Movie Afternoons
June 2, 2011
Double Feature:
ET & Men in Black

For those that have been following along on my PTR for a while you know that I have undertaken the task to make sure Ab, Boo, and Goo are ready for their Christmas surprise visits to Universal Studios and WDW. Ab and Boo have seen most of the Disney movies, but it has been awhile…while poor Goo has not has the same experiences. I found a great thread and then another wonderful PTR that serve as my inspiration for this family activity. During the summer, I am trying to squeeze in Summer Movie afternoons at least 1 time a week in addition to our weekly Dinner and a Movie Night.

Summer movies are a fond memory of my childhood. I can remember my grandmother taking us to the theaters each week for some movie they would show in the afternoons. Our theaters do something similar here, but in the mornings…and with my summer school schedule in June it is impossible to go. Then in July we try to cram in family trips and such, so that is out too!

Our first Summer Movie Afternoons ended up being a double feature of ET and Men in Black (yes, not Disney movies but very much needed for our Universal portion of 2 Castles). Can I admit this? I have NEVER seen ET. I am not sure why I remember my mom taking my 2 younger sisters…but I don’t remember why I did not go back in the early 80s. Then for the next 30 years…I guess I just was not interested until now. It was a good movie, not sure what the hype was all about and why this movie has lasted so long. The boys loved it! Men in Black…let’s just say that while I really like the movie (and have seen it before) I had forgotten all of the bathroom type humor, not so appropriate for my 5 year old, but the boys loved it too (boy humor I suppose). We went on line and looked up both rides at Universal and they boys are really excited about MIB and shooting things…boys!

Menu: Flying Saucers (stopped and picked up some tostados on my way home from summer school), Planetary Fruit Salad (melon balls), and Alien Juice (lime soda)

Movie Snacks: Reese’s Pieces & Milky Ways

Dessert: Cosmic Galaxy Stars (Dippin Dots)

Activities: Flying Saucers (tossed Frisbees through the water sprinkler to cool off…did I mention it was near 100 that afternoon) and Alien Goo (cornstarch, water, and green food coloring)

Sorry no pictures of the Flying saucers…my memory card decided to crash on me! Time to get a new one I suppose!

This week...Bug's Life
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #1262
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

Summer Movie Afternoon: A Bug's Life

I feel a little intimidated posting my movie day/nights...there are so many great ones that go over the top with decorations and such... I simply do not have the time, but neverless my children seem to enjoy what little we do...and hey, we are having fun! I hope others will draw inspiration to do them too...no matter how little or much you do!

Summer Movie Afternoon
June 10, 2011
A Bug’s Life

Boo is absent, he went to spend the afternoon and night with a friend. I have to apologize for my pictures. My memory card crashed and burned and I have not had a chance to replace it…so my phone was all I had.

I must admit, I am not too much of a bug girl…just not my thing! This movie brings back memories of when Ab was a little girl. We used to have to rewind the VCR tape over and over again at the ending because she just loved the ending (no spoiler, but those who have seen the movie understand). I am excited about going to the Bug show at the Tree of Life in Animal Kingdom, it sounds like so much fun.

Menu: Bugs, Ants on a Log, Bug Juice, and dirt cups

Goo makes a bug

Some of the bugs we made

Ants on a log

I found this bug gummy worms at Dollar Tree! Perfect for dirt cups…

A little dessert...dirt cups

Activity: Had a picnic on the living room floor while we watched the movie. Then we played a couple rounds of cootie.

Yes, Ab is still in her pj bottoms in the afternoon. Hey, it is summer…that is what she tells me anyway!

You can tell this game is old...it was my dh's when he was a child, MIL dug the game out for us. A few eyes were missing so we made some out of silver twist ties!

No Summer Movie next week...I have all day trainings next week and the kids have Bible School! But Dinner & a Movie ready to go for Sunday...stay tuned
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #1263
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Tammie, I really like seeing your movie nights. We've been doing low-key ones and I haven't been taking photos or posting for the same reason you wrote. We just don't go over the top anymore mostly due to time constraints, and I feel like I shouldn't post pictures or anything here. Maybe if I post some, you'll feel better!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #1264
acomasdiaz
DIS Veteran

Tammie ~ You're definitely not alone...I haven't posted my pics either because I haven't gone all out lately but I will post them now.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #1265
acomasdiaz
DIS Veteran

We're having a Disney Family movie night every week until our trip to Disney in August. First up was:

Lilo and Stitch
May 15, 2011

That's me working on dinner. I had everyone wear their hawaiian outfits. Well, except DS decided to wear his Stitch bathing suit.

The kids painted wooden luau signs while I got everything ready.

We got all of our decorations at The Dollar Tree.

Menu
Stitch's Fried Plaintain Cups
Lilo's Ham with Pineapples and Yellow Rice
Nani's Sweet Plantains
Davids' Hawaiian Surf Bread
Gantu's Laser Juice
Ohana Chocolate Cake

Next up, we had Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #1266
acomasdiaz
DIS Veteran

Next up:

[/SIZE]
Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure
May 22, 2011

Everything had to be pink for this event. The plates, cups, etc. were all pink. The girls dressed all in pink.

We had to substitute the cupcakes for cookies at the last minute because we didn't have time to bake.

As an activity, we had a talent show which the kids loved!

Next up, UP!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #1267
acomasdiaz
DIS Veteran

Then came UP...

UP
May 29, 2011

Unfortunately, with all the craziness that day, we forgot to take pictures.

Menu
Russell's Wilderness Hot Dogs
Dug's Paradise Falls Chips
Carl & Ellie's Grape Soda
Kevin's Chocolate Bars
As an activity we made balloon animals with a kit we found at Target.

Next up, Honey I Shrunk the Kids!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #1268
Becc1
DIS Veteran

I started doing Disney theme nights in preparation for the trip but as far as the kids knew we were just doing them for fun. On the night before our trip I had planned a Walt Disney World/Mickey Mouse night. We rented a Vintage Mickey dvd from Netflix so as far as they knew it was just another movie night.

Here's a few pics of the decorations my DD and I did for the night

The buffet after my DD went to town with some of her Disney figurines

We started the night off with some snacks

Then had some special pizzas that DH had them make at his restaurant (he's a GM of a CPK), we also had some salad and pasta.

DS eating a Mickey ear

And dessert was cupcakes, for those who have seen my past theme nights you know I go all out on the cupcakes but there was no time for elaborate decorating this night so I went the easy route, please forgive me

Then it was craft time, the kids decorated picture frames and we put a picture in it from a past trip, even DN who I dug a pic from our 2002 trip out for.

Then at 7pm we got a phone call. Who could it be? It was Mickey Mouse! He was calling to tell the kids that he heard how well they were doing in school and how proud he was of them, there was more but to honest I can't even remember what. And of course I forgot to videotape it! So they were so happy that Mickey called and now I told them it was time for them to open this.

This had been sitting on the ottoman, staring at them all evening, just waiting to be opened! I get the camera ready all set to videotape this awesome occasion and this is what I got.

http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/t...rent=026-6.mp4

Yes somehow I stopped videotaping after about 5 seconds

So let me just tell you what happened They tore into the wrapping , opened the box and out came a Tinkerbell balloon with a note attached to it!

Then the screams and jumping up and down happened Just like I had secretly hoped for but was afraid wouldn't! They were so excited, I swear it was something right out of the commercials! My DN got it on tape on her phone so as soon as sends sends it to me I'll post it on here. All of my hard work and sneaking around totally paid off

Here's a couple of pics I got after the reveal, honestly as picture crazy as I am it was tough getting them to sit still long enough to get a decent picture!

Can I really keep my mouth shut for the next 6 months?
Princesses don't hit, kick or spit! A May/June 2011 TR

Becc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #1269
figment3258
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becc1 View Post

I started doing Disney theme nights in preparation for the trip but as far as the kids knew we were just doing them for fun. On the night before our trip I had planned a Walt Disney World/Mickey Mouse night. We rented a Vintage Mickey dvd from Netflix so as far as they knew it was just another movie night.

Here's a few pics of the decorations my DD and I did for the night

The buffet after my DD went to town with some of her Disney figurines

We started the night off with some snacks

Then had some special pizzas that DH had them make at his restaurant (he's a GM of a CPK), we also had some salad and pasta.

DS eating a Mickey ear

And dessert was cupcakes, for those who have seen my past theme nights you know I go all out on the cupcakes but there was no time for elaborate decorating this night so I went the easy route, please forgive me

Then it was craft time, the kids decorated picture frames and we put a picture
in it from a past trip, even DN who I dug a pic from our 2002 trip out for.

Then at 7pm we got a phone call. Who could it be? It was Mickey Mouse! He was calling to tell the kids that he heard how well they were doing in school and how proud he was of them, there was more but to honest I can't even remember what. And of course I forgot to videotape it! So they were so happy that Mickey called and now I told them it was time for them to open this.

This had been sitting on the ottoman, staring at them all evening, just waiting to be opened! I get the camera ready all set to videotape this awesome occasion and this is what I got.

http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/t...rent=026-6.mp4

Yes somehow I stopped videotaping after about 5 seconds

So let me just tell you what happened They tore into the wrapping , opened the box and out came a Tinkerbell balloon with a note attached to it!

Then the screams and jumping up and down happened Just like I had secretly hoped for but was afraid wouldn't! They were so excited, I swear it was something right out of the commercials! My DN got it on tape on her phone so as soon as sends sends it to me I'll post it on here. All of my hard work and sneaking around totally paid off

Here's a couple of pics I got after the reveal, honestly as picture crazy as I am it was tough getting them to sit still long enough to get a decent picture!

Have a wonderful trip!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #1270
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Lisa What a great reveal night! I hope you guys had an awesome trip! I'll have to sneak over to your trip report later .

acomasdiaz Your nights look fun! I love your table/benches, too. Very cool!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #1271
acomasdiaz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Lisa What a great reveal night! I hope you guys had an awesome trip! I'll have to sneak over to your trip report later .

acomasdiaz Your nights look fun! I love your table/benches, too. Very cool!
Thank you!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #1272
MissMickee
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." ~Walt Disney

Great reveal Lisa!!! Have a FANTASTIC time!

Off property 1987, 1996, 1997, 2000 ~ Caribbean Beach Resort September 2003 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2005 ~ All Star Movies July 2005 ~ Contemporary MK View June 2007 ~ Polynesian Club Level June 2008 ~ POR & Polynesian July 2009 ~ Private Villa May 2011 ~ Private Villa June/July 2012 ~ Art of Animation May 2013
MissMickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #1273
myasma
Mouseketeer

I love all these ideas. For the last few days I have been reading over them getting ideas. I am planning a trip for March of next year and was so excited about it but had no idea how I was going to make time go faster, then I found this thread. This Friday, I am doing Alice and Wonderland with my two nieces and nephew as our first Disney night. We are going to do a Disney night twice a month until our trip!!! Can't wait to post how everything turned out!!
myasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #1274
acomasdiaz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myasma View Post
I love all these ideas. For the last few days I have been reading over them getting ideas. I am planning a trip for March of next year and was so excited about it but had no idea how I was going to make time go faster, then I found this thread. This Friday, I am doing Alice and Wonderland with my two nieces and nephew as our first Disney night. We are going to do a Disney night twice a month until our trip!!! Can't wait to post how everything turned out!!
That's great! Have fun with it! My family loves it!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #1275
DisneyMom0709
Mouseketeer

These all look so awesome I want to do one today, my kids are young 2 and 3 maybe will put on tangled and I have to think of some crafts and snacks

ME DH DS(6) DD(5)DS (Infant)

DisneyMom0709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: