Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 569 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #1216
thmar
DIS Veteran

This is a fantastic thread!!

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

God Bless...

thmar
thmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #1217
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcaks & Booze, Running PHM

Dinner & a USO Movie Night: Twister

Dinner & a Movie Night
Twister
May 1, 2011

Okay before everyone gets upset and tells me that Twister is not a movie night, I KNOW! But since we are going to Universal before WDW and Twister has an attraction that goes with the movie...need to prepare the kids for this part of the trip too so they can really enjoy and understand the attraction. Plus, with all the crazy weather and living in tornado alley ourselves it is always good to talk about tornado safety.

I love Twister...mainly because in the 90s I had a crush on Bill Paxton. I still think he his pretty cute...I know not the handsome leading role type but the average joe. I wonder what he has done lately and for the matter what happened to Helen Hunt? It took me a while to realize where the girlfriend in the movie (sorry forgot her name) was from...she was the lead in Jersey Girl.

There are scenes from the movie that were filmed in our general area. So that was cool to share with the kids. We see a lot of these crazy carvan strom chasers this time of year, although we have been real quiet with severe weather (and I like it that way, though we really need some rain).

Dinner: Twister Chili Cheese Fries (okay not very healthy, but fun and fast,,,used curly fries for the Twisters) and Tornado Cake (found the recipe...it is really called Tornado cake-basically a german chocolate upside down cake with the gooey frosting baked inside)

Twister Chili Cheese Fries

Boo making the Tornado Cake

Tornado Cake (a la mode)...it is even yummier than it looks!!!

Activity: Played Twister

So far so good...everyone is still up....

Yikes...Goo on the bottom of the pile!!

momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #1218
Becc1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari-B View Post
Great Nemo movie night Nancy Drew!!!

Another fabulous theme Becc1!!!
Thanks! Can't wait to see your next night

Can I really keep my mouth shut for the next 6 months?
Princesses don't hit, kick or spit! A May/June 2011 TR

Becc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #1219
Kari-B
Mouseketeer

Indiana Jones Movie Night

Our next movie night was Indiana Jones. My son saw me digging out some items from our Halloween boxes to use and guessed which movie we were doing next. I didn't know too much about Indiana Jones so I decided to watch it first on my own to get ideas. Let me just say after watching it I DID NOT want to go forth with this movie night. I told my son I was thinking about skipping Indiana Jones, but he really wanted to see it. This movie was not what I was thinking it was going to be, so just a warning for others if you haven't watched it yet.

So I decided to go ahead with the movie night, but warned the kids we would be skipping parts I didn't think were appropriate for them. In the end, we ended up only watching the first half or so (skipping a few parts), but saw enough to get the gist of it and see the food that we used for our party.

I bought foam hats from the Dollar Tree and trimmed some of the brim off and added a brown ribbon. I made the whips from some leather cording I had and felt for the handles. I used brown felt and some ribbon to make them each a satchel. (I try not to purchase many things for the movie nights in order to not spend money and save for Disney. So I just have to improvise to create things like the whips and satchels.)

Dinner: Eyeball Soup

Snake Surprise (breadsticks)

Chilled Monkey Brains (Cherry Jello)

Beetle Bites (totally made these up as I went along with Swiss Cake Rolls, fortune cookies, chow mein noodles and chocolate almond bark)

Poison (7-Up)

Antidote (Blue 7-Up - kids loved pretending to need to quickly drink the antidote after finding out they drank poison)

Coloring Sheet-

Hunt For The Sacred Stones - The kids received a hieroglyphic clue to decipher using their code sheets. After they deciphered a code it led them to another hieroglyphic. After deciphering all ten clues they found the Sacred Stones (which I made using extra large Easter eggs, multiple coats/colors of paints, and sealer).

Whip Challenge (I placed various creatures on our couch and had the kids try to whip them off.)

Also during the games I had the Indiana Jones Soundtrack playing which added to the atmosphere. I forgot to take a picture of the whole table set up, but it had bats, spiders, snakes, bones, hieroglyphics, skulls, etc... All in all it was a fun movie night, even if I didn't like the movie itself. My little girl asked if that was the guy who would be at the Disney World Indiana Jones show.

Last edited by Kari-B; 05-31-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Kari-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #1220
Becc1
DIS Veteran

So glad you did an Indiana Jones night Kari! It's on my post trip theme night list and I'm glad you gave me some ideas to "steal"!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #1221
Kari-B
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becc1 View Post
So glad you did an Indiana Jones night Kari! It's on my post trip theme night list and I'm glad you gave me some ideas to "steal"!
Becc1, glad you can use some of the ideas! That's the only reason I post my movie nights. I LOVE seeing other people's movie nights and getting inspiration. I am very grateful to everyone who posts their pictures and ideas for their movie nights. This is my FAVORITE thread!!!!
Kari-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #1222
MissMickee
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." ~Walt Disney

AWESOME Kari!! I love all of it!

Off property 1987, 1996, 1997, 2000 ~ Caribbean Beach Resort September 2003 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2005 ~ All Star Movies July 2005 ~ Contemporary MK View June 2007 ~ Polynesian Club Level June 2008 ~ POR & Polynesian July 2009 ~ Private Villa May 2011 ~ Private Villa June/July 2012 ~ Art of Animation May 2013
MissMickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #1223
Becc1
DIS Veteran

To celebrate Cinco de Mayo tonight we had a Three Caballeros theme night! Since it was a school night we began the movie right after homework was done. Snacks for the movie were tortilla chips with salsa and queso dip and I got them a few different flavored sodas in the Mexican food aisle to try. Everyone sat down to watch the movie, DH and DS15 were not crazy about it but the younger ones enjoyed it After the movie the kids made tissue paper flowers and did some coloring pages. Dinner was chicken fajitas with onions and peppers, beef tacos, spanish rice, refried beans (for DH, yuck), baked beans (for everyone else, lol), sweet corn cake and for dessert we had red, white and green cupcakes to represent the Mexican flag. I was going to venture out a bit with dessert but Emily asked for cupcakes and I love my daughter so cupcakes it was! After dinner the kids played a few rounds of "Donde Esta Donald?" . They took turns hiding Donald around the house for each other. I was going to get a pinata for the night but at $20, I cheaped out We are supposed to be saving money for Disney remember? So I promised the kids that we would make one this weekend!

Movie snacks

Craft

Our centerpiece

Dinner

Chciken fajitas

Beef tacos

Sweet corn cake (this stuff is addictive )

My dinner

Dessert

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #1224
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

You guys are so creative!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #1225
Deffenm
DIS Veteran

How fun! Can you tell me how you made the tissue paper flowers? I would love to do that with my Daisy Girl Scout Troop to use as centerpieces for our award ceremony.

You are so creative. I think my daugther and I are going to do a mommy/daugther only trip this year in Oct. for a few days and if we do I will start doing these. We did a Chinese New Year one this year and my daugther had a blast and my sons tolerated it. They enjoyed the food at least. So I think I will give it another try and least the boys will get some createive food.
DD (10)

May 2005 - AsMov
Sept. 2006 - POP
Sept. 2007 - POR
Aug. 2008 - AKL
June. 2010 - CBR (Grand Gathering)
April 2012 - POP
Oct. 2014 - POP
Deffenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #1226
Becc1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffenm View Post
How fun! Can you tell me how you made the tissue paper flowers? I would love to do that with my Daisy Girl Scout Troop to use as centerpieces for our award ceremony.

You are so creative. I think my daugther and I are going to do a mommy/daugther only trip this year in Oct. for a few days and if we do I will start doing these. We did a Chinese New Year one this year and my daugther had a blast and my sons tolerated it. They enjoyed the food at least. So I think I will give it another try and least the boys will get some createive food.
Here's a link to a You Tube video that explains it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK6QBG6IhX0

I hadn't made them in forever so I had to google it!

I'm lucky that my little guys enjoy them so much, my oldest like your DSs tolerates them

Last edited by Becc1; 05-10-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #1227
LovingDisney11
Earning My Ears

So we have had a blast with this the last couple of weeks. Any ideas for a " POFQ Night"? I'm using our PO glasses to fill with fruity drinks for the kids (and banana cabanas for the adults). Think I'll go pick up beads and coins from the party store, but am needing some food ideas that the kids will enjoy.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #1228
Becc1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingDisney11 View Post
So we have had a blast with this the last couple of weeks. Any ideas for a " POFQ Night"? I'm using our PO glasses to fill with fruity drinks for the kids (and banana cabanas for the adults). Think I'll go pick up beads and coins from the party store, but am needing some food ideas that the kids will enjoy.

Thanks!
I think any kids of New Orleans type food would be good. For our Princess and the Frog night I made gumbo, I found a great Paula Deen recipe for it. For my picky eaters I made crabcakes and got a rotissierre chicken from the store. You could also try jambalaya or crawfish, red beans and rice and beignets for dessert!

Last edited by Becc1; 05-10-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #1229
acomasdiaz
DIS Veteran

We're going to Disney in a couple of months, so I am starting back up with our Disney Movie Nights. First up, Lilo and Stitch this weekend. We are so excited about it...

Now, we saw that next week Disney Channel will be showing Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure, so we are thinking of adding that to our list. Does anyone have any ideas for it? So far, I have pink decorations, pink lemonade, and fancy pink cupcakes...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #1230
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by acomasdiaz View Post

Now, we saw that next week Disney Channel will be showing Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure, so we are thinking of adding that to our list. Does anyone have any ideas for it? So far, I have pink decorations, pink lemonade, and fancy pink cupcakes...
Awesome idea! I think that I will DVR this and do it as a movie night. DH has to work quite a few nights right before our trip, so this will be something fun for DD & I to do.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: