Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 788 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #1651
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
I've already posted these on my pre-trip report but I thought I'd do it here too since this page inspired me in the first place! Long story short, we had a trip planned for star wars weekend this year but couldn't go because of a surprise pregnancy. So for our first Disney movie night? Star Tours!
We made Pricess Leia cupcakes, an AT-AT planter and a Chewbacca bird feeder, affectionately known now as the bird feeder of DEATH!

Thanks for all the great ideas. We have a while to go until we can take our newest mouseketeer to introduce him to Disney so I hope you'll be seeing us around a lot. I've done up a craft and snack idea for each movie (I wanted to keep it inexpensive and manageable for a mom with morning sickness or a new baby, trying to save pennies for Disney!) We are doing all the Disney Animated Classics, the Pixar films, plus Tron, Mickey's Christmas Carol, Mary Poppins, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter (for our planned Universal day), the Muppets, hopefully the new Del Torro Haunted Mansion), Song of the South, Phineas and Ferb and Nightmare before Christmas. We have 62 weekends to go until the trip so one movie night a weekend and a couple of double features and hopefully this will help us survive the long wait!
Thanks again for all the great ideas!
CONGRATS!!!!
On your new baby!!!
Please tell me how you did the AT-AT!!!
Is any of this on pintrest???
Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #1652
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Hi Chicago Mo,
I see you have a Vader fan in you family!
I got the ideas from the crafts out of The Star Wars Craft Book by Bonnie Burton. They are all really cute and easy. For the planter, you just take 4 chip tubes (my husband happily obliged us by eating the chips inside), a small planter box and some tupperware for the head, and wrap them all in duct tape. The lids of the chip tubes are for the knees. Easy!
I have been searching for lots of craft/recipe ideas on pintrest and I'll be posting lots more on my Disney movie night board as I go through - come by and visit me!
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #1653
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
Hi Chicago Mo,
I see you have a Vader fan in you family!
I got the ideas from the crafts out of The Star Wars Craft Book by Bonnie Burton. They are all really cute and easy. For the planter, you just take 4 chip tubes (my husband happily obliged us by eating the chips inside), a small planter box and some tupperware for the head, and wrap them all in duct tape. The lids of the chip tubes are for the knees. Easy!
I have been searching for lots of craft/recipe ideas on pintrest and I'll be posting lots more on my Disney movie night board as I go through - come by and visit me!
i cannot say thank you enough!!! Yes my Son is a huge Star Wars fan. I'm Not...
Post #178
didn't want to post the picture on here it's not a movie night...
I am all over the pintrest!!! AGAIN THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!!
Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #1654
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

One of the Disney themed newsletters I am subscribed to posted the POFQ Beignet recipe today. I thought I would share it for anyone who may be hosting a Princess and Frog movie night soon!

Beignets
Port Orleans French Quarter - Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory

1 pack dry yeast
1/2 cups sugar
2 lg. eggs
7 cups flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
1/4 cup soft shortening
Oil for frying
Confectioner's sugar

Instructions:
1. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water, stir to dissolve.
2. Add sugar, salt, eggs, and milk. Blend with rotary beater.
3. Add 4 cups of the flour, beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and thoroughly blended.
4. Beat in the shortening, then add the remaining flour, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating it in with a spoon until it becomes too stiff to stir, then working in the rest with your hands.
5. Cover and chill overnight. Roll out on floured board until dough is at 1/8" thickness. Cut into 2 1/2" squares.
6. Deep fry at 360 degrees 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
7. Sprinkle heavily with confectioner's sugar.

Makes about 5 dozen.

Note: The dough keeps well in refrigerator for several days. Just cover the bowl with plastic wrap and punch down occasionally.
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #1655
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the Beignets recipe Daisy! We will definitely be using that one!

This weekend past we babysat my niece and nephew and so we had our first movie night with them, a muppets double feature! We watched both The Muppet Movie and the new version with Amy Adams and Jason Segel. The soundtrack from the original was a part of my childhood, we played it on a tape deck in my Dad's old brown Mercedes everywhere we went, so I am thrilled to say that the kids preferred the original!

I was feeling a bit under the weather (I had forgotten that growing a human is exhausting) so for the craft the kids cut out a simple playset I found online, then they ate Kermit apples. And for dinner? Frogs legs of course!

The photos look a little green (it's not easy bein'…) next time I try to get photos during daylight hours.
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #1656
MissMickee
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." ~Walt Disney

Last night we did Meet the Robinsons. I love this movie. It's so sweet.

We had a smaller one tonight since it was just me and the kids. Daddy and Grandpa were out on their motorcycles.

Dinner was Art's Intergalactic Pizza. For snacks we had Lewis' fruit (salad) hat, PB&J cookies, bowler hats and gummy Frankies. To drink... Goob's juice boxes.

My centerpiece is Carl with the "Keep Moving Forward" signs coming out of his head.

On either side of him, I made Memory Scanners for each of the kids. In the center is one of their favorite memories from our trip to WDW last year.

Food...

Got the inspiration for these here. I used Raspberry jelly, because it's my favorite, but it DID NOT WORK! Did NOT taste good. LOL! Next time I'll definitely use grape.

These are donut holes on top of 1/2 an Oreo. I think they came out really cute!

Close-up...

I know Goob trades his juice box for a coffee in the movie, but we stuck with the juice boxes. lol!

We got tonight's activity at Michaels for $3 each. It's Mount Vesuvius!

Just add water...

...and watch it blow!

But what's that inside?!

"I have a big head... and little arms." LOL! They're those things that grow in water so in 3 days they'll be able to play with them. (I'm not so sure how well this plan was thought through)

Wearing their Lewis hair and glasses.

It's Bowler Hat Guy!

It's Bowler Hat Girl! (she was trying so hard to balance it on her head LOL!)

My nephews are staying over tomorrow night, so I might try to squeeze in another movie night this week. We'll see. We leave for our trip in 12 days!!!!!!

Off property 1987, 1996, 1997, 2000 ~ Caribbean Beach Resort September 2003 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2005 ~ All Star Movies July 2005 ~ Contemporary MK View June 2007 ~ Polynesian Club Level June 2008 ~ POR & Polynesian July 2009 ~ Private Villa May 2011 ~ Private Villa June/July 2012 ~ Art of Animation May 2013
MissMickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #1657
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Lisa - love it! My favourtites are the bowler hat desserts!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #1658
JavArmy
DIS Veteran

We did Aladdin tonight for Disney Movie Night!

For Crafts we did Mosaics, Sand Lamps, and Magic Carpets

Here is everyone making their sand lamps

We had genie juice, jafar's "so twisted" fries, coos coos, kibobs, and stolen bread.

We did go a little above and beyond with the crafts since my sister (the 14 year old) was in town. We had to show off a bit

For next weeks movie my sister picked Lion King!

JavArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #1659
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

It's our anniversary weekend, so we are shipping kids out (DS19 staying home to work, DS16 on a mission trip, DD10 and DS7 are at grandparents house) When we told the kids they were going to grandparents for the weekend, DS7 said "But, we'll miss movie night!"
Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #1660
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Well yesterday we were FINALLY supposed to be doing Snow White for our movie night but they kids and I had the great idea that since it was Father's Day and we would be spending the weekend with our own dads that we would devote Friday night to my husband. So we let him pick and he chose Treasure Planet!

I had the kids make the crafts before my husband got home. My daughter did a beautiful canvas of a starry sky and my son painted a ball like the map. Our night officially began with opening presents. We gave him the crafts as well as the pirate's drink of choice, a bottle of Appleton's Jamaican Rum.

For dinner we made Alponian chowder (I meant to pick up dog bowls at the dollar store to serve it in but I totally forgot). I was trying to keep the movie nights healthy and not serve cupcakes every time but my husband told me that because we almost never make desserts that he thought that was crazy, so "Bring on the cupcakes!". I also gave the kids little chocolate gold doubloons as a snack during the movie.

Fun time was had by all! Next week I think will be Brave. Poor Snow White, will we ever get to her?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #1661
MaddieC
Earning My Ears

Just finished reading every page Can't wait to use all of the ideas!

We started doing family fun nights to count down to our August trip. Our first night was Lilo and Stitch last week.

Menu:
1. Lilo Kabobs
2. Stitch's Fruit Salad
3. Pleakley's Rice
4. Jumba Juice
Activities:
1. Make leis (flower cut outs, string, fruit loops; the fruit loops were also a great snack!)
2. Make a tiki (paper towel rolls)
3. Hoola dance
4. Limbo
5. Secret mission from Jumba!(the kids had to look for all of Jumba's escaped experiments. Each was on an index card and had the name, picture, and powers of the experiment.)

The table:

DD14 decided the living room should become a beach (she really did most of the work, and suprised us with the party!)

craft table

Making Leis:

Tiki's

Limbo (DD14 wouldn't let me put up the photos of them dancing! ) You can see the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack playing on our labtop in the backround. DD6 kept putting Hawiian Rollercoaster Ride on repeat!

Secret mission:

We never found the last card(there was 23) ...it will show up eventually!

We had so much fun! Next is "It's A Bugs Life"
Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1662
disjenne
Mouseketeer

Lilo and Stitch

We finally had our first Family Movie Night and watched Lilo and Stitch. I enjoyed this so much we will be doing more than I had planned!

Our activity was swimming in our new "pool". DD2 was afraid of water until a few weeks ago so this was exciting for her.

I transformed the dining room into our own luau. We had leis, grass skirts, and lanterns.

We had a spread of PB&J Sushi for DD2 (has a hard time with meat), K'auai K'abobs, Stitch's Skewers, Lilo's Rice, Jumba Juice, and Lava Cakes! It was all so yummy. And I am sorry but I can't remember the DISer I found the names from. If I find it again I will site it here.

The food label's were made simply using MS Word and the Buka Bird font. I found all images online.

Then it was time for our feature presentation! I found these great movie tickets from http://mommasfabulousplayground.blog...ovie%20Tickets

We even have a concession stand with popcorn, salt water taffy, and swedish fish.

DD2 enjoyed most of the movie and DH and I enjoyed the rest!

I can't wait for our next movie night....Lady and the Tramp!! Ihope you enjoyed seeing our Lilo and Stitch night!

(Sorry the photos are different sizes. My laptop was going crazy!)
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #1663
MissMickee
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." ~Walt Disney

For those of you planning Brave nights, Disney Family has added a bunch of crafts and recipes to their website!

http://family.go.com/disney/pkg-disn...-disney-brave/

Off property 1987, 1996, 1997, 2000 ~ Caribbean Beach Resort September 2003 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2005 ~ All Star Movies July 2005 ~ Contemporary MK View June 2007 ~ Polynesian Club Level June 2008 ~ POR & Polynesian July 2009 ~ Private Villa May 2011 ~ Private Villa June/July 2012 ~ Art of Animation May 2013

Last edited by MissMickee; 06-18-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #1664
MissMickee

We had our impromtu Treasure Planet night on Saturday. My nephews stayed over and DN6 really wanted to join in on one of our "famous" movie nights. HAD to put one together for him. So I chose a movie he's never seen (and I LOVE!).

Table and decor. I bought some pirate hats at the party store and colored in the eyes with black markers and painted on 3 white eyes to match Capt Flint's pirate flag.

Food! We had big and little dippers (chicken poppers and tenders), Capt. Amelia's cat treats (Lucky Charms), Dr. Doppler's dog biscuits (graham crackers), powdered spheriods (donuts), Flint's treasure (toffee popcorn, Skittles, choc coins, Hershey's Nuggets), Zorellian Jelly Worms (gummy worms), caramel pecan Scroops (rolls melted on pretzels with pretzel legs and pecans on top), Bonzabeast Stew (choc pudding with gumball eys ) and to drink, Purp Juice (grape soda).

Activity... Black Hole Toss

Their prizes! Flarp (or to go with tonight's theme.. Morph!!)

Playing with "Morph"...

One movie night left before we leave!!!! Friday night will be The Lion King then we leave on Wednesday! I'm so excited (obviously!!) I have, however, promised DN that we'll do UP! soon. He had so much fun!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #1665
disjenne
Mouseketeer

Lisa, I all of your movie nights and parties! You do such a wonderful job on all of them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: