Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 772 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #1621
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Toy Story 2

Yeah I am so happy I found this thread! My kids were sooo excited when I showed them some of the pictures! We decided that we're going to try to do one a week until our trip. Pretty ambitious, especially since I am the LEAST crafty person I know! So the plan is for the kids to do all the work This week they chose Toy Story 2 and planned the menu and made the signs and decorated with toy story toys! We loved it! Soo much fun!

Our menu was:
Slinky Hot dogs (apparently we couldn't do pizza planet because clearly that needed to be saved for our Toy Story 1 night!)
T-rex chic nuggets
Stinky Pete strawberries
Jesse Juice
Mr. Potato popcorn
Sheriff Woody sugar cookies

Making cookies

Our classy meal

Decorations

Not 5 star pretty, but 5 star fun! Next week is Monsters Inc

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #1622
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

MissMickee, the Peter Pan night is fabulous! I love the table!

Mulan was our theme for last night. I was super excited because it meant Chinese takeout and no cooking for me!

DD frosting the ying yang cake (white cake with chocolate marble) The kids love that each of them gets to pick a movie and be my helper

Table

Close up

Minnie with her movie (with "Chinese" hat and chopsticks)

Menu and activity sheet

Ying Yang cake

I found fortune puzzles at the Dollar Tree in Chinese take out containers, so the kids each got one.

DD

DS

DS's fortune

DDs

We ordered lots of little sized things so we could have a buffet. We had Arizona green tea with ginseng as a drink. Is it sad that everyone used the chopsticks for dinner (including the 7 year old) but I didn't. I'm not chopstick proficient.

DH showing the kids how to make Chinese throwing stars. A skill he learned in high school.

Dorks
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #1623
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMickee View Post
Last night we did Peter Pan (actually, the kids are watching it again right now, LOVE that! ).

My first plan was to turn our table into a pirate ship but as I was listing everything I'd need to pick up at the craft store, I thought "man, there's got to be something I can make that doesn't require a trip to Hobby Lobby" (even though I LOVE Hobby Lobby LOL!! So I brainstormed a bit and decided to make a map of Never Never Land on our table, then fill the food in around it. This is the map I used...
will you come to my house and decorate?? this is adorable!!
Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #1624
jumparound
Mouseketeer

OMG These are all too cute! I will definitely be doing this! Doing this once a week is a little too much work for me lol, so I think I'll do once every two weeks. I was just wondering, for those of you that do this, do you eat before? after? during?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #1625
jumparound
Mouseketeer

I've decided to make up a notebook full of this stuff lol. Movie title, with list of menu ideas and activity ideas. I have only just started to begin, but I noticed there was not a lot about 101 dalmations. I've been thinking of doing this movie since my son has never seen it and it was one of my favorites as a child. We haven't seen it yet because I'm not sure if he'll be interested, but am hoping he'll be into it if I have a themed meal and activities lol.
I wanted to add an idea for an activity for this movie...pin the spots on the dalmation. Felt naturally sticks to felt so cut out the outline of a dog on a big piece of white felt, cut out black spots with black felt, blindfold the child and have them try to get as many spots on the dog as possible.
Something else simple is to use stuffed animals to have a dog wedding.
Find interesting facts about dalmations, including why they are fire dogs.
Print out pics of all 15 puppies, hide them, then have your child(ren) try to find them.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #1626
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumparound View Post
OMG These are all too cute! I will definitely be doing this! Doing this once a week is a little too much work for me lol, so I think I'll do once every two weeks. I was just wondering, for those of you that do this, do you eat before? after? during?
We do 2 activities for each movie and they do those first. That gives me time to finish dinner. We eat, clean up, have the kids change into pjs if it's late enough and then watch the movie
Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #1627
jumparound
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
We do 2 activities for each movie and they do those first. That gives me time to finish dinner. We eat, clean up, have the kids change into pjs if it's late enough and then watch the movie
Sounds great. It would be nice to be able to keep him occupied while I'm cooking as he's always bugging me to do things with him when I'm in the middle of cooking...two birds, one stone.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #1628
POOHDRMR
DIS Veteran

Did Toy Story last night

We did toy story last night and it was alot of fun!We had pizza planet pizza and buzz breadsticks(just picked up Digorno frozen)and then popcorn for the movie.I made alien cupcakes that were a huge hit.I picked up those big coloring pages in toy story prints from Target-I have a 11 yr old dd and a 2 year old ds so it is kind of hard to find things they can both do together but they sat and colored while I was getting diner ready and also during the movie.We also played the lets go fishing game(sort of like a claw game right?!!)I took out all my ds toy story games and he watched it with Buzz!My dd told me when she went to bed it was one of the best nights ever.We used to watch movies together regularly but since ds has been born it is not as frequent and he does not watch for long usually.This helped keep him busy so the rest of us could watch.I think I am going to do Nemo next because the food possibilities are so cute!Thanks to everyone for the ideas I went to bed last night feeling like a very good Mommy!
POOHDRMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #1629
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

Beauty and the Beast

was our chosen theme last night. My daughter painted "stained glass" sea animals as the activity. I set the table with a white lace tablecloth, my fine white china and tea cups. In the center of the table I put a single rose in a bud vase, then put a large clear vase upside down on top of that. (I did have to wedge something underneath of it so the rose could breathe, though! It was fogging up the vase.).

For dinner we had:
Chicken Cordon-Bleu (recipe from allrecipes.com)
Steamed fresh green beans
Rice pilaf
Crescent rolls
White wine for hubby & I
Sweet tea for kiddos

Dessert was chocolate eclaires, but we were too full, so we had them for breakfast today!

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #1630
JavArmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Qtz0205 View Post
was our chosen theme last night. My daughter painted "stained glass" sea animals as the activity. I set the table with a white lace tablecloth, my fine white china and tea cups. In the center of the table I put a single rose in a bud vase, then put a large clear vase upside down on top of that. (I did have to wedge something underneath of it so the rose could breathe, though! It was fogging up the vase.).

For dinner we had:
Chicken Cordon-Bleu (recipe from allrecipes.com)
Steamed fresh green beans
Rice pilaf
Crescent rolls
White wine for hubby & I
Sweet tea for kiddos

Dessert was chocolate eclaires, but we were too full, so we had them for breakfast today!
I like your rose idea and the stained glass! Hope you had fun!

JavArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #1631
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

Apple Dumpling Gang

We are still doing Dinner & a Movies Nights...although it has really been scaled back. The kids love to watch the movies and a little themed dinner along with it makes for some good family time. I have decided to go back to the "Classic" movies that Jeff and I grew up on.

Dinner & a Movie Night
April 7, 2012
The Apple Dumpling Gang

This week we watched the Apple Dumpling Gang, another movie I can remember watching about the same age as Goo was. My favorite line "Mister, I gotta go." I love Donn Knotts and Tim Conway together. We happened to be at the cabin this weeked so we took the 4-wheelers out and rode up to an old gold mine near our property...although you cannot go into it is still a fun ride and neat to look at. I wish I would have thought to do this movie during the summer, we could have gone panning for gold and visited a ghost town.

Menu: Prospectors Chili, Nugget Corn Bread, Rootbeer and of Course Apple Dumplings (Made by Ab)

momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #1632
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Our movie night this weekend was Mulan too! We went ahead and purchased this movie off of Ebay. We had only seen it once, but we LOVE it! I had a great time prepping for this movie night.

WARNING: I manned the camera on this night and I am a TERRIBLE photographer!

Here is the invitation:

My girls actually made the dessert (Chocolate Chow Mein Clusters), but I did not get a picture of them making them.

Here is the table with decorations:

To show some of the details, here is a place setting:

I had a different chinese character for each family member such as: beauty, grace, love, honor and courage on the place cards. I also did different Mulan characters for each napkin ring: Mushu, Crickey, warrior Mulan, princess Mulan and Li Shang.

DD12, DH and I all knew how to use chopsticks; but this was the first time for the other children.

DD10 and DS really picked it right up. I was very proud of them. We had the leftovers last night and they used the chopsticks to eat their leftovers too. They loved it!

We got them started on the activity for the night while we cleaned up after dinner. Chinese dragon masks to color:

The masks were pretty detailed, so they continued to work on them during the movie. When they finished coloring we enjoyed dessert with hot tea. This is a tea set DH got for me while he was on a business trip to Japan 14 years ago...this was our first time actually using it!

Here are the completed masks:

DD10 got to draw from the bowl of movie graphics to see what our next movie night will be:

The Princess and the Frog...mmmmm Cajun Food!
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #1633
abby&emmasmom
My body may be in KY, but my heart is in the "World"

So glad I found this thread again! We did this weekly last year before our October trip and our girls LOVED IT!! We are going again in Sept so I think we will try to get a few more of these in before we go. I can't wait to get started again!!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #1634
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

These are just great! Now all I need to do is get my non-Disney obsessing family to have a Disney themed family night.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #1635
Rockislander
Earning My Ears

We had a blast during our first Disney Family Night. My son's favorite movie (for the moment) is The Three Cabelleros, so that's what we started with.

First, I made a Fiesta banner using some Mexican-ish font I found online. I simply created one letter per page so the banner would be large enough.

We also made paper flowers and listened to both Latin music and some songs from the movie. Later we had a dance party with maracas.

We homeschool our son, so we're always mixing learning with fun! We looked through our Children's Encyclopedia and learned a bit about Mexico and South America.

I whipped up a sheet of basic Spanish phrases for all of us to learn. My son loved this! I also pulled out some of my own personal souvenirs from Mexico.

While dinner was cooking, my husband and son played "Donde Este Donald?" (where is Donald?). I hid a rubber duck (don't have an actual Donald duck... yet!). This game was a huge hit!

For dinner I made Mexican food: chips, salsa, & queso dip for appetizers, a taco bar w/ all the fixings, and dulce de leche for dessert. For drinks, my husband and I enjoyed a margarita (or two!), and I found some imported tropical juice from Mexico for my son.

Finally we sat down to watch the movie. During the movie we ate dessert and made this super easy sombrero craft.

As I said, we had such fun with this! We can't wait for the next Disney Family Night, which is just a couple of weeks away. Our trip isn't until September, so it's my plan to have one of these nights every 3-4 weeks until we leave.

If you'd like, you can visit my blog, Counting Coconuts, to see all of the other fun things we're doing to getting ready for Mickey! http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.com...h/label/Disney.

HUGE thanks to all the creative minds here on DISboards! Most of these ideas came from YOU and our family wouldn't be enjoying these fun nights if it weren't for this amazing thread!

Next trip: 9/2014: POL/WDW
2013: WL/WDW
2013: Princess Half Marathon - WDW/POFQ
2012: BCV/WDW
2004: LBV Hotel/WDW
1997: Off-site/WDL
1996: Off-site/WDL
Rockislander is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: