Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 772 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #76
PrincessTigerLily
DIS Veteran

OK, I went and started another thread for Disney theme parties, if anyone is interested! (I know I am!) You guys are so fun and creative!

PrincessTigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #77
PrincessTigerLily
DIS Veteran

Pete's Dragon

Movie - Pete's Dragon

Menu - Lighthouse Linguini with Pete's Pasta Sauce (could also be alfredo
sauce with shrimp)
Nora's No-Nonsense Garlic Bread
Elliot's Roasted Apples
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...les44889.shtml

Ativities - Create your own imaginary dragon, what would he/she look like and
do?
Since "Pete's Dragon" takes place in a Maine fishing town, make your own fishing pond! Use a baby pool, or even a blue blanket swirled on the ground to resemble water. For each fishing pole you will need a wooden dowel, string, and a magnet. Tie one end of the string to the pole, the other end to the magnet. Cut out fish shapes on paper plates or heavy cardstock. Place a paperclip on fish's face, and sprinkle fish in "pond". Kids can fish just for fun, race against each other to fish all their own color fish first, or even fish for prizes like at the carnival!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #78
PrincessTigerLily
DIS Veteran

The Country Bears

Movie - The Country Bears

Menu - Country Ribs (see recipe below)
Cornbread
Green beans
Bear Claws (see recipe below)

Activities - Make your own instruments! See link for easy ideas.
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/famil...truments.shtml
Hold a concert staring your own family band! Throw on your favorite CD or make up your own! Don't forget some great lyrics, just like the attraction at Disney World!

Country Ribs

3-4 lbs country-style pork ribs
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C ketchup
1/4 C vinegar
1/4 C water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place ribs in roasting pan. In a 2 qt saucepan combine remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until a full boil (5-8 minutes). Pour over ribs; turn ribs to coat all sides. Bake turning ribs every 20 to 30 minutes for2 to 2 1/2 hours or until ribs are fork tender. Remove ribs. Skim fat from sauce. Serve sauce with ribs.

Bear Claws

1 can refrigerator biscuits
2-4 T melted butter
1 T cinnamon
2-4 T sugar

Take a biscuit and dredge it in melted butter, then in the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Make 2 cuts in the center of the biscuit (not all the way through, when baked, this will make the "claws"!). Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #79
mrs.beast
Mouseketeer

i cannot find the theme party thread Where is it?
thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #80
PrincessTigerLily
DIS Veteran

It's here in the Disney for Families Forum.
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1717597

Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #81
collcass
DIS Veteran

We did Incredibles last Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTigerLily View Post
It's Incredibles Night here at our house! We had a lot of fun with making up our own superhero identities, we chose to draw them. DD6 is a Super whose power is saving animals. DS2 said his Super name is "Pink" (e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g is pink lately! We had to sit on the "pink" bench at Disney World, even though it was actually brown. You ask him what kind of car he would like, and of course - pink! You get the picture...) and he can fly. I became Mega Mom, able to make PB&J at the snap of my fingers, and race around the house at super speeds to clean faster. If only...
We are just getting ready to make sundaes, and the chip dip was a real hit!

Let us know how your theme nights turn out and if you have any suggestions!
And the kids had a "Super" time. In an effort for them not to drive us batty with "how long until WDW" on a daily basis, we designated Sunday's as our weekly Disney day. Kast SUnday was our first and it was a lot of fun.

This Sunday we were going to do Monsters Inc but now are switching to Cars since it's the Daytona 500 day!

Great thread. So glad I found it
Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #82
ellenmiele

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen&2princesses View Post
I love all these ideas. We are having a disney theme party for my dd's birthday. Does anyone have mickey recipes?
allearnet has SO MANY WDW recipes - I've made quite a few things from the list and they have all turned out great! Here is the link -

http://www.allearsnet.com/din/rec.htm

5/02(Poly),4/03(Poly),4/04(WL),10/04(BW),4/05(CR),4/06(AK and GF),4/07(BCV),12/07(SSR), 6/08 (DCL Wonder and BWV), 4/09 (SSR and Poly), 4/10 (AKV-Kidani Village and BLT) 4/11 (Universal HRH for WWoHP and then HHI villas), 4/12 (OKW), 11/12 (BWV for Grandma and Grandpa's 50th anniversary!), 3/13 (OKW), and next we sail the Dream then head on to the Villas at the Grand Floridian!

WL FLAG FAMILY 4/18/04
ellenmiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #83
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

subscribing! These ideas are so cute!! We'll definatley be having a few of these parties while counting down

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
3princesses+aprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #84
PrincessTigerLily
DIS Veteran

I am SO happy everyone is liking the thread!
collcass, so glad your Incredibles night went well! Did you do anything differently? And please share any ideas you have for your "Cars" night! I am coming up clueless for that one!
ellenmiele, thanks for the easy link! Care to share which you have made and have turned out well?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #85
collcass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTigerLily View Post
I am SO happy everyone is liking the thread!
collcass, so glad your Incredibles night went well! Did you do anything differently? And please share any ideas you have for your "Cars" night! I am coming up clueless for that one!
ellenmiele, thanks for the easy link! Care to share which you have made and have turned out well?

We didn't do anything too different. We haven't been to Disney so on our designated day we talk alot about expectations rather than trying to keep the magic alive.

I'll post our cars stuff this evening.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #86
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collcass View Post
We didn't do anything too different. We haven't been to Disney so on our designated day we talk alot about expectations rather than trying to keep the magic alive.

I'll post our cars stuff this evening.

Ooooooooohhh! Your FIRST trip! How awesome.

You guys are going to LOVE it! We'll be there at the same time. It'll be hot, and it'll be crowded, but we will have a magical time.

I hope it meets your every expectation. Have fun with your parties until then. When you finally get there, I think you will just be hooked for life!

Maybe we can cross paths with you sometime during your trip. We'll be there from June 28th to July 7th - staying at Pop. Check out the Baby and the Tramp link in my signature to see our last four trips, if you'd like.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #87
acmomma
Earning My Ears

Subbing. These ideas are fantastic. Thanks.
acmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #88
baloo's girl
Mouseketeer

Well, we did our first Disney Family Night last and in honor of Valentine's Day, we did Lady and the Tramp. The kids had so much fun.

To recap,
Movie Lady and the Tramp

Food-Spaghetti and Meatballs-recipe below
Mickey mouse raviolis (found at kroger)
breadsticks
tomato and mozzarella salad
giant cupcakes-had these special made to look like giant flowers-not really movie related, but fun for the Valentines tie-in.

Activities:
While dinner was cooking, I turned my kiddies into doggies by drawing a nose and whiskers on their faces with a eyeliner pencil.

Then we made dog collars out of ribbon. Earlier we went to Wal-Mart and got engraved dog tags with their names and phone number-$4.00 a piece. We slide the tags on the collars and the kids loved wearing them around the house all night-we'll save the tags for our trip!

Then I gave each a little ball and told them that dogs liked to push them with their noses. We played fetch until dinner was ready.

We laid out a red and white vinyl tablecloth on the floor in our living room and ate dinner while we watched the movie.

It was a great time!

Meatballs (i doubled this recipe):
1 lb ground beef
½ cup plain bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1 tsp very coarsely minced garlic (or garlic powder)
½ cup fresh Parmeseano Reggiano cheese, grated
2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley, flat leaf (or dried parsley)
1 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper
2 Tbs olive oil.

Mix all together but oil. Make 2 inch balls. Put oil in skillet, add meatballs and brown on all sides.
Add browned balls to the meat sauce and simmer for 30 min. Serve sauce and
meatballs over a bed of your favorite pasta.

Last edited by baloo's girl; 02-16-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: forgot my recipe
baloo's girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #89
collcass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ooooooooohhh! Your FIRST trip! How awesome.

You guys are going to LOVE it! We'll be there at the same time. It'll be hot, and it'll be crowded, but we will have a magical time.

I hope it meets your every expectation. Have fun with your parties until then. When you finally get there, I think you will just be hooked for life!

Maybe we can cross paths with you sometime during your trip. We'll be there from June 28th to July 7th - staying at Pop. Check out the Baby and the Tramp link in my signature to see our last four trips, if you'd like.
I'm hoping it will! Will read your TR this afternoon

AS for cars: Here are some recipes I got from the internet
Quote:
Lightning’s Speedy Sandwiches
Build sandwiches that look like cars with personality, like Lightning McQueen and his friends!
Ingredients:
- hoagie buns
- pretzel sticks
- round cucumber slices
- olives
- chicken salad, sloppy joe mixture, or nut butter with banana chunks
Scoop out the top and middle of each bun, forming a pocket to fill later. Poke 4 pretzel sticks through bun for wheel axles, and add a cucumber slice (wheel) to the outer end of each pretzel stick. Push 2 more pretzels sticks into front of bun and add olives for car eyes (headlights). Fill bun pocket with filling of choice.
Clink & Clunk’s Road Mix
When your crew gets the munchies, have bowls of this fuel handy.
Ingredients:
- raisins, pretzels, chocolate chips, cereal and nuts
Mix up any of the above ingredients to create a healthy road mix your guests can enjoy throughout the party.
Mater’s Oil Sundaes
A party favorite! Chocolate syrup becomes edible “motor oil” in these tasty roadside sundaes.
Ingredients:
- vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- chocolate syrup
- chopped nuts
You’ll also need the following craft items: toothpicks, black pen, construction paper, and glue or tape.
Before the party, use the craft items listed above to create a checkered flag for each child’s sundae. To make the sundaes, place a scoop of ice cream in each child’s bowl and add chocolate syrup. Sprinkle nuts on top. Then add a checkered flag for the winning touch.
Racetrack Cake
Ingredients:
2 boxed cake mixes and toothpicks
- chocolate, green and white frosting
You’ll also need a round cake pan, a 9"x13" pan, a wire rack for cooling cakes, and racing candles.
Prepare cake mixes. Pour 1/3 of batter in round pan, and remainder in 9"x13" pan. Insert toothpick into center of cakes; when pick comes out clean, remove cakes from oven. Cool completely on a wire rack. To form an oval racetrack, cut round cake in half, and position the halves next to opposite ends of the rectangular cake. Trim edges, where necessary, and frost the whole cake with chocolate icing. Create an oval patch of “grass” in center with green sprinkles. Outline the track with candies of your choice. Decorate with Racing Candles.
Filmore’s Traffic Light Treats
These crackers are named in honor of Filmore, the ’60s mini-bus. (“I’m tellin’ ya man, every third blink is slower.”)
Ingredients:
- chocolate graham crackers and chocolate frosting
- red, yellow and green M&Ms®
Divide graham crackers into small rectangular sections. Using frosting as “glue,” attach a red, yellow and green M&M on each to create a cool traffic light treat. Far out!
Cars Punch
Pour everyone a cup of Lightning-red punch full of ice cubes with gummy cars.
Ingredients:
- apple juice, cherry juice and lemon-lime soda
- gummy car candy
You’ll also need several ice trays.
To create the cubes, fill several ice trays with apple juice and drop 1 or more gummy cars into each section. Freeze (approximately 5 hours). Drop at least 2 cubes into every cup and pour in 50% cherry juice and 50% lemon-lime soda. Invite kids to sip away!
And from another site:
Quote:
Serve Up Some Speedy FareWhen it comes to food, partygoers are usually perfectly content to eat pizza or hotdogs, which is certainly much easier on the hosts! However, if you have the time and would like to serve racecar-themed treats, consider these ideas: · Set up a concession stand for children to "order" lunch as if they were at the track. Have hotdogs, soft pretzels, nachos, popcorn, and other similar snacks available. ·

Make "Stop Lights" using a round object (like a cookie/biscuit cutter or the top of a glass) to cut out circles of green, yellow and red Jello. ·
Serve your little pit crew their lunches in white paper lunch bags with a racecar sticker to hold it closed. Label the outside of each bag with a guest’s name, and fill it with a sandwich, fruit, cheese crackers, and a juice box. ·
Cut a watermelon to look like a car and serve it filled with fruit. Lay the melon on one long side and cut out a lid from the top. Use a small round scoop to create balls of watermelon, keeping the shell intact. Then cut two grapefruits in half to become the wheels. Using a small wooden skewer, attach the four grapefruit halves with the cut side facing out to look like wheels. Add a cherry in the middle of each wheel with a toothpick and fill the car with the melon balls! ·
Serve racecar-shaped sugar cookies. (See link below.) ·
Here is an easy way to create a Racetrack Birthday Cake. First bake a 9x13" cake, and cover it with white frosting. Next use a tube of black gel frosting or chocolate sprinkles to draw a road around the cake. Then place small toy cars on the road as cake toppers, and you're done! · Make quick and easy "wheels" from any round cookie, by adding an M&M or junior mint in the center as the hubcap.

Last edited by collcass; 02-17-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Adding bold to titles
collcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #90
collcass
DIS Veteran

Now for what we are actually doing

Since it is also the Daytona 500 and we are having company, I am simplifying it a bit. We are decorating the table as the Pit

For lunch the kids will have checkered flag sandwiches. (Tuna or chicken salad on pumpernickel and white) Will cut into squares and arrange to look like a checkered flag. I am also going to have available food iitems widely available at a racetrack such as dogs,burgers and these absolutely scrumptious but completely fattening steak sandwiches.

i am making sugar cookies to look like hubcaps. I don't have time for the cake so I am getting a race day cake and adding caars decorations.

Not going along with the theme but while the guiys are watching the 500, I'll be doing the kids clipboards for their autographs!!

That's it

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: