Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
canadianamanda
Earning My Ears

Memory maker?!!

Hi just wondering if Memory Maker is worth the money! I have two younger kids and won't be going in any of the rides that the memory maker covers except for Buzzlightyear. We are going to lots if Character spots though. We bought a decent Cannon for this trip, so I'm wondering if I should buy the package after I just bought the camera? We are going to Cinderella Round table, does Memory Maker photographs go there?! I'm never in pictures, so that's the only reason I would like to get this package, so we can have nice family pics? But with the new camera, should I bother?! I'm afraid Also that with a 10 month old and a 5yr old I will forget to take lots of pics bc I will have the baby ect?! What are your experiences with memory maker!?
canadianamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
imthemamahere
Earning My Ears

I haven't been to Disney World since they changed the name to Memory Maker, but I did buy the PhotoPass+ cd two years ago.

In my opinion? BEST. THING. EVER.

I also brought my trusty dslr on the trip + my cell phone, of course, and took over a thousand photos over our week-long stay. And I still managed to come home with over 400 photos on PhotoPass+. The big bonus to those 400 photos? *I* was in them! Looking at old vacation photos, it was starting to seem that I never went anywhere with my family. I had pics of my son. Pics of my husband. Pics of my son+husband. And none of me. But because someone else took the pictures, I was able to be in the photos for a change... plus we got some great shots of all 3 of us together. I love it!

Now, obviously, given the total number of shots we came home with, we stopped for a LOT of photos along the way - we didn't mind waiting a few minutes for the photographers to be free. My son wasn't entirely patient all the time, but he was mostly cooperative, and honestly, we rarely waited more than a handful of minutes. We found that most of the PhotoPass (now MemoryMaker) photographers were very helpful, kind, and willing to take multiple shots/poses - as long as it wasn't too busy. Some can even do what's called "magic shots" - for example, one had us pose with our hands cupped in front of us, as if we were gently holding something delicate - when I looked at the photo online, I saw they'd added an image of Tinkerbell to our picture, so it looked like she was standing on our hands. My son (3 1/2 when we went) thought that was SO COOL! There are all sorts of fun things you can add to the photos - for example, let's say you're meeting Minnie at a character spot? You can go in through their website and add Minnie's "autograph" to the photographer's shots - very fun! One photographer who we bumped into while walking through EPCOT's World Showcase followed us to the red photobooths in the UK section and snapped a bunch of photos of my son playing in the photobooth - even though she was supposed to be in a different section of the park. A photographer on Main Street USA caught some awesome candids of my son dancing around while waiting for the afternoon parade to begin - he just walked up and began snapping without us even having to ask. And of course, we have pics from all 4 parks of the three of us, smiling together... my son giving me sweet little boy kisses... stuff I just wouldn't have if I was the one holding the camera.

As a bonus... I don't know if this is still the case now that they're under the MemoryMaker name... but PhotoPass also provided me with a cd of stock images of Disney World, which was pretty cool. It included things like perfect shots of the castle that you never get (because there are no people in the way!), nighttime shots I can't take on my own because I don't bring a tripod to the parks, fireworks pics from the perfect location, etc. As a scrapbooker, I was very excited about having those shots to complement my own.

Yes, you can ask the photographers to snap a pic or two with your camera - they will do it. And there are PLENTY of places where you'll want your own camera on hand to snap pics where no photographer's stationed. But to my mind, it was well-worth the $$ to pay for the photo cd. I've already ordered my MemoryMaker for our trip later this year!
imthemamahere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
canadianamanda
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthemamahere View Post
I haven't been to Disney World since they changed the name to Memory Maker, but I did buy the PhotoPass+ cd two years ago. In my opinion? BEST. THING. EVER. I also brought my trusty dslr on the trip + my cell phone, of course, and took over a thousand photos over our week-long stay. And I still managed to come home with over 400 photos on PhotoPass+. The big bonus to those 400 photos? *I* was in them! Looking at old vacation photos, it was starting to seem that I never went anywhere with my family. I had pics of my son. Pics of my husband. Pics of my son+husband. And none of me. But because someone else took the pictures, I was able to be in the photos for a change... plus we got some great shots of all 3 of us together. I love it! Now, obviously, given the total number of shots we came home with, we stopped for a LOT of photos along the way - we didn't mind waiting a few minutes for the photographers to be free. My son wasn't entirely patient all the time, but he was mostly cooperative, and honestly, we rarely waited more than a handful of minutes. We found that most of the PhotoPass (now MemoryMaker) photographers were very helpful, kind, and willing to take multiple shots/poses - as long as it wasn't too busy. Some can even do what's called "magic shots" - for example, one had us pose with our hands cupped in front of us, as if we were gently holding something delicate - when I looked at the photo online, I saw they'd added an image of Tinkerbell to our picture, so it looked like she was standing on our hands. My son (3 1/2 when we went) thought that was SO COOL! There are all sorts of fun things you can add to the photos - for example, let's say you're meeting Minnie at a character spot? You can go in through their website and add Minnie's "autograph" to the photographer's shots - very fun! One photographer who we bumped into while walking through EPCOT's World Showcase followed us to the red photobooths in the UK section and snapped a bunch of photos of my son playing in the photobooth - even though she was supposed to be in a different section of the park. A photographer on Main Street USA caught some awesome candids of my son dancing around while waiting for the afternoon parade to begin - he just walked up and began snapping without us even having to ask. And of course, we have pics from all 4 parks of the three of us, smiling together... my son giving me sweet little boy kisses... stuff I just wouldn't have if I was the one holding the camera. As a bonus... I don't know if this is still the case now that they're under the MemoryMaker name... but PhotoPass also provided me with a cd of stock images of Disney World, which was pretty cool. It included things like perfect shots of the castle that you never get (because there are no people in the way!), nighttime shots I can't take on my own because I don't bring a tripod to the parks, fireworks pics from the perfect location, etc. As a scrapbooker, I was very excited about having those shots to complement my own. Yes, you can ask the photographers to snap a pic or two with your camera - they will do it. And there are PLENTY of places where you'll want your own camera on hand to snap pics where no photographer's stationed. But to my mind, it was well-worth the $$ to pay for the photo cd. I've already ordered my MemoryMaker for our trip later this year!

Thanks for writing back! Now bc ur son was 31/2 u probably didn't go on many roller coasters or rides that had pictures on them?? So this didn't matter of the number or pics? Also did u do a lot of character meet and greets? And were the photographers there??
canadianamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Jeepin Dad
Mouseketeer

We used MM and loved it, most of pictures were at the character meets. It was nice being able to get Family photos that included all of us. I really liked playing with some of the borders and character signatures that you can add to the photos in MM.
Jeepin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Veera
Earning My Ears

We are going for 3 days only and because our little one is 22 months old, we won't be going to many of the rides that the Memory Maker covers. I guess we wouldn't expect to get too many photos of us? I am also wondering would it be worth the money.
Veera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Yoshiandi
Just working for my next Disney fix..

I have to agree that the Memory Maker is worth it. We have used the old Photopass for the past two trips and it is GREAT. We loved getting the family photos and then being able to edit them to add borders or characters was fun. We took a bunch of photos and ordered a photobook that the kids take to school.

For the character meetings and just the must have photos in front of the castle/tree/etc., it's great. The photographers take some amazing photos.

Also, they can do the add-ons to the photos like having your child holding Tinkerbell or sitting on a bench eating ice cream with Stitch.

Yoshiandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
imthemamahere
Earning My Ears

CanadianAmanda (and whoever else wants to know):

All the characters in the meet & greet locations (in 2012) had a PhotoPass photographer stationed with them. A few of the character meals (like the one in Cinderella's castle) include a photograph that can be linked to the Memory Maker program. Plus, there are photographers (look for the cast members in tan vests!) scattered through the parks - they tend to be focused around the most popular "icons" - the sorcerer Mickey hat in HS, the "golf ball" in EPCOT, the tree at AK, and of course down Main Street USA on the way to the castle in MK. But they're also near entrances, by fountains, strolling the parks, etc. I don't know about the rest of the year, as I didn't use PhotoPass+ until my December 2012 trip, but during the holiday season, they're even available in some of the resort lobbies. With a 3 year old in tow back then, we didn't do any of the rides where they take your picture... but we still made it home with around 400 photos. If you look around, you will definitely find plenty of photographers on your way through the parks.

You do have to be willing to stop (and maybe wait a few minutes, if someone else is already posing for their own shots) when you stumble across a Memory Maker photographer. I'm not sure exactly how MagicBand plays into it, but it was easy peasy to hand over the PP+ card; the photographer would quickly scan it, then pose you for your shot. I imagine it's similar with Magic Bands. You can request other poses and some photographers will even snap a few candids while they've got you (that depends on the individual photographer, of course) - as long as there aren't tons of people lining up to be next, we found the photographers to be very accommodating of taking extra photos. And again, you can always ask about Magic Shots - not every photographer can do them, but many of the ones who have their cameras on tripods can, and they're so fun to see later on.

I can only speak for myself in saying that it was absolutely worth it to me. YMMV! If you aren't going to want to stop along the way, aren't doing many character meet & greets, don't intend to ride the rides that take photos... you may not find it as useful. For me, I just made it a part of my plan for each day to take it slow and find a smile for as many photographers as I came across. I'm so glad I did!
imthemamahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
smashing
Earning My Ears

We did the photo pass+ in September and I will be sure to have MM for our next trip. I loved that the whole family was in the photos. Plus the character meal and met and greet spots where great! We only had about 6 ride photos. They are fun to have but certainly not our reason for getting the pass
smashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
JillyBean1899
Shiny

If your child is fine with posing for pictures, MM is awesome. The photographers are all over the place, and you can run up, have them take a picture, scan your card/MagicBand, and be done with it. And ask all of them if they know Magic Shots ... you never know who or what will end up in photos with you. :D But the Magic Shots can only be done by cameras that are not on tripods.

Bring your Canon with you for shots of stuff that you see, like on the safari or of the kids playing at the pool or in playgrounds or whatever. If you usually take pictures, you'll find plenty of times to use it when the MM photographers aren't around, but with the MM you'll be in a lot of the shots, too.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
Diss Knee Pete
Earning My Ears

We've used Photopass in the past, and would do again. My daughter loves the fact that they will superimpose some of the characters (tink and stitch for us) over photos to look like we are interacting with them. We then bought the book, to which we can add our own photos.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: