Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #91
irishbosoxfan
BL II - Red Team
DIS Veteran
I took one of those biscuit cans in the chest a few years ago

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These are the pictures from our site in July 2006--We are heading back to FW this July and have decided to lighten our load by not bringing the a/c or air mattresses.
We fly down and ME brings our stuff to the site.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #92
MomofPirate&Mickey
Former Cast Member

[/QUOTE]
These are the pictures from our site in July 2006--We are heading back to FW this July and have decided to lighten our load by not bringing the a/c or air mattresses.
We fly down and ME brings our stuff to the site.[/QUOTE]

So how bad is it to tent in July, w/o a/c? We live down here, but have never tented in the summer. Our plans maybe changing from going camping in NY for 4th of July to possibly going to the FtW. Not sure yet. But if we do go to the Ft. in July, then it would be in a tent, with possibly only a fan, but no a/c.

Any suggestions??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #93
BigDaddyRog
Ask me about my cartoon pitch
I'm all Disney'd up feeling innocent and pure
Cut up and act like a clown while ya gotta chance to embarrass those that are forced to love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbosoxfan View Post
....We are heading back to FW this July and have decided to lighten our load by not bringing the a/c or air mattresses.
July in FL with NO A/C.......YOU, my friend, are a true adventurist!!!!
BigDaddyRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #94
carolynb
Mouseketeer

What site were you on? Looks like a big site. We are going down in October for first time and we are tenting it and are trying to figure out the best sites to stay on. Thanks.
carolynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #95
momoffive
Mouseketeer

We have a window air unit we use in our garage. Is it hard to fit it to the tent? Do you have to have a special attachment for the tent window? I guess I am asking...How'd you do that?
momoffive
momoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #96
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
We have a window air unit we use in our garage. Is it hard to fit it to the tent? Do you have to have a special attachment for the tent window? I guess I am asking...How'd you do that?
momoffive
The thing they were using is called an AC tent boot.

http://acboot.com/
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #97
BigDaddyRog
Ask me about my cartoon pitch
I'm all Disney'd up feeling innocent and pure
Cut up and act like a clown while ya gotta chance to embarrass those that are forced to love you.

Yes,...that ACBOOT is very convenient....but you can make your own version of it at a small fraction of the price they are asking. At $200, it should come WITH the A/C and a bottle of wine!!!!
BigDaddyRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #98
irishbosoxfan
BL II - Red Team
DIS Veteran
I took one of those biscuit cans in the chest a few years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofPirate&Mickey View Post

So how bad is it to tent in July, w/o a/c? We live down here, but have never tented in the summer. Our plans maybe changing from going camping in NY for 4th of July to possibly going to the FtW. Not sure yet. But if we do go to the Ft. in July, then it would be in a tent, with possibly only a fan, but no a/c.

Any suggestions??
Well this will be the first time without the A/C so I guess we may find out how bad it can be!! But the last time we turned it on when we returned from the parks late at night and we just fell into bed exhausted then were up and out early so we didn't see a whole lot of benefit--by the time we returned at night it had already cooled off quite a bit.If you are local an A/C doesn't take up much room--with us flying in from Kansas we have to ship it down then ship it home(last time we sold it to our camping neighbors who drove because the box got wet and disintegrated) We didn't spend much time at the site but if you plan to then you have to take that into consideration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyRog View Post
July in FL with NO A/C.......YOU, my friend, are a true adventurist!!!!
I don't know about that!! Holla at me when we get back this time around

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynb View Post
What site were you on? Looks like a big site. We are going down in October for first time and we are tenting it and are trying to figure out the best sites to stay on. Thanks.
It was site number 2021--I am going to see if we can get the same one this time around because it was so convenient.The outhouse was 1 minute behind and to the left and the bus stop was like a 4 minute walk.We had the screenhouse set up on the driveway then the 3 room tent right at the edge of that and had plenty of room to walk around either side of the tent,then the "luggage" tent was set up in the back corner and there was a good 12 feet open in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkelley View Post
The thing they were using is called an AC tent boot.

http://acboot.com/
Hi CL!! Yep it's the AC Boot.It was easy to install.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #99
MomofPirate&Mickey
Former Cast Member

[QUOTE=irishbosoxfan;23632356] If you are local an A/C doesn't take up much room. We didn't spend much time at the site but if you plan to then you have to take that into consideration!

Well when you only have a 2003 Saturn Vue w/ 2 car seats in it, no luggage racks or hitch, plus 2 adults, and it's packed to the gills w/ camping stuff already, so much so that the older son has to have stuff on his lap, then an A/C will take up room that we don't have. But we'll have to see. If we have the older two step-kids though, we'll probably be taking 2 cars, so we might have room. Especially since the step-son (8) tends to be a wuss. He would go on test-track, the fastest ride in all the parks, but not on any of the roller coasters, except the Goofy one.

Don't know how much time we'll be staying at the site either, as this would be the first time that the step-kids have been camping.

Thanks for the advice though!!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #100
Sinclare
DIS Veteran

We fly down and ME brings our stuff to the site.[/QUOTE]

Any suggestions??[/QUOTE]

We never use A/C in the tents and actually use a heater for night time to knock off the dampness. Last year we left on July 3rd and it wasn't bad at all. You are rarely in the tents except getting ready in the morning or going to bed at night unless you take a pool break or washing day and I enjoy napping in the tent during those times. There is lots of trees for shade and there is usually a nice breeze blowing. Add in the daily afternoon rain to cool things down and it's not bad at all.
----------------------------------
2005 Father & Son BIG 2 week getaway! June 3rd-17th; 2005 Father & Son MNSSHP Trip; Oct. 10-13th.
-----------------------------------------
2006 Father & Son & Family BIG 2 week getaway! June 3rd – June 17th; 2006 Father & Son MNSSHP Camping at FW Oct. 7th – 14th
2007 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 16-July 3rd - 2008 Fort Wilderness Trip. May 31-June 18th
2009 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 27-July 14th 2010 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 12-June 26th 2012 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 30-July 15th

Sinclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #101
LiteBrite
I'm a 3-5 wearings girl in the winter
I'm a free spirit when it comes to cutlery presentation
said tomato is residing in my tummy
I'm pretty sure I wore my bra in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclare View Post

We never use A/C in the tents and actually use a heater for night time to knock off the dampness. Last year we left on July 3rd and it wasn't bad at all. You are rarely in the tents except getting ready in the morning or going to bed at night unless you take a pool break or washing day and I enjoy napping in the tent during those times. There is lots of trees for shade and there is usually a nice breeze blowing. Add in the daily afternoon rain to cool things down and it's not bad at all.
Sinclare, am I reading you right, that you have actually used a heater in your tent in July? I like the idea of fighting the humidity, but does it really not raise the temp inside the tent to have a heater running?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #102
usewickhouse
I am going to stick to my first guess but add a little to it...

First I would like to admit, I mean say, I have NOT tent camped since I was in my teens so I am no expert. When I seen the pics of the tents with A/C units in them I thought how BRILLANT is that!! Then as I read on I realized a lot of people obviously do fly in and plan on tenting and/or have very limited space to bring along an A/C unit. So...here is my contribution to the tent campers...there are frige swaps and Christmas tree swaps on these boards so why not a A/C swap?

These small portable A/C units are very affordable and you all could run the swap the way the Frige people do. I live here in Florida about 2 hours west of WDW and let me tell you the heat can be brutal so if I were to ever tent camp in the summer A/C would be a must. Really you guys could do a combo dorm frige and A/C unit swap so you would also not have to worry about ice melting. You would just need to make sure you included the appropriate electrical cords with your swap itmes.

Hope this helps? If this has already been thought of and/or tried and failed please forgive. I was only thinking of you all!!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #103
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

I work here at Disney and I have two window units that I use (only one at a time though. But I wouldn't mind bringing some one an AC to use. I didn't use it once in a july trip and never again would I camp without it.
The hardest part is setting it up. we prop it up on the tail gate of our truck. Last time we used the table but the legs pushed into the tent a lot.
I don't know how people can do without it. I was miserable the next day.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #104
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

bump

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #105
memorykeeper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclare View Post
In reference to being hot in the tents at night. We usually go in June and instead of taking fans, we take Heaters for night. Remember your camping in what is basically reclaimed swamp so the air does get damp at night. The heater helps keep the dampness out of the tent.

Here is our setup that we use: Two 11*17 tents with a canopy tent in the middle. Notice from the second picture (looking out of the tent in the back) that both tents open into the canopy tent. Since both tents have an overhang, it allows you to get out of the tent and into the "living room" without getting wet except in the hardest rain of course.

I have been attemping to copy this setup but I've had no luck finding the canopy sides at my local Walmarts so I experimented with using two 8X10 tarps and it worked. The look is the same I'll let you know if it holds up in the rain if we have any. I really just wanted an area between my tent and my friends tent where our children could stretch out without being a nuisance or bouncing off my tent walls. We leave in 26 days.
memorykeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: