Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #31
memorykeeper
Mouseketeer

Well my huge tent and great Target deal is a bust anyway. I read the reviews and it seems that in any type of rainfall we'd be better off just sitting under an umbrella than sleeping in that tent. I will be returning it today and investing in a Coleman. I hope we get the 2000 loop because then space shouldn't be a problem. How do they decide where to put you? Is it first come first served?
memorykeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #32
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

If you request 2000, you will have no problem. 1500 is the more-requested loop of the partials, and harder to get assigned to.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #33
momoffive
Mouseketeer

Our site in December. We were about 6 sites from CS and we backed up to the road, but a good distance away.

A picture from the back. Notice NO pop-up, that was still at the garage in SC. The red tent was my quick buy at Walmart while we were at the Fort. It was big and we plan on using it again. It was cheeper than renting one of FW tents. I just wish we had a cabin tent instead. Our screen room was behind the tree off to the right. I little awkward for the two large tents but we were so not prepared for 100% tent camping. It took me 3-4 days to get comfortable and get an organized routine.
momoffive
momoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #34
juligrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorykeeper View Post
I'm worried that mt tent will be too big to fit two on my site. I'm camping with friends and they have a 7 person tent and we have a 8 person tent with the atttached screen house. ( Found this on sale at Target for $29 regular price $116) Our kids are too wild to put everyone in one tent but I worry about whether or not both tents will fit.
Did you get the Greatland with the screen porch that was on clearance? If so I did too! After reading the reviews on it there was no way I was paying the asking price on that thing. This way, if I get a couple of uses out of it, I'll be happy 'til I get the tent I really want. I can't wait to get the thing set up!

juligrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #35
momoffive
Mouseketeer

We have the Greatland in the photo above and in my signature with the kids. We actually like it. I bought an indoor/outdoor carpet for the screen room portion of it so we had a place to take shoes off. The screen room is not big enough to sit for long periods of time, but that is not why we picked it, I liked the added space going into the tent. I just wish it were a cabin style so the air mattresses fit better. It's a tight fit for the 7 of us, but we do have the PU for local trips and now the extra tent.
momoffive
Old 02-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #36
memorykeeper
Mouseketeer

Momoffive did it rain at all while you were using this tent? We are camping in April and I'm afraid we''ll end up soaked. It took two years to convince my husband to try camping and I want him to like it so we can go again.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #37
memorykeeper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juligrl View Post
Did you get the Greatland with the screen porch that was on clearance? If so I did too! After reading the reviews on it there was no way I was paying the asking price on that thing. This way, if I get a couple of uses out of it, I'll be happy 'til I get the tent I really want. I can't wait to get the thing set up!
Yes that's the one. I also bought one for $12 a five person dome tent also by Greatland. Now I'm scared it was two good to be true. Do you plan on trying to seal yours? Also do you think you'd stay dry if yor erected it under a gazebo/tarp type thing?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #38
momoffive
Mouseketeer

It did rain one day while we were at the parks. We didn't notice anything in the tent when we got back either. We used it last summer while camping at the NC shore, not the thing to do when it is 110 degrees out! We had a couple of quick bursts there too and nothing in the tent. We kept the rain flap on the whole time. It made for terrible air circulation but DH didn't want any surprise rain in the middle of the night. I will be taking a room air conditioner with us the next time ha. We like it but it was in our price range. Didn't want to spend a whole lot if the kids were going to hate it.
momoffive
Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #39
juligrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes that's the one. I also bought one for $12 a five person dome tent also by Greatland. Now I'm scared it was two good to be true. Do you plan on trying to seal yours? Also do you think you'd stay dry if yor erected it under a gazebo/tarp type thing?
I absolutely plan on sealing it. I'm not so concerned about interior space being an issue since it's just me and my two little girls who camp. Also, I always use a ground cloth when camping so between that and sealing it I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll have to see how it sets up to see what else I could rig up over it to keep dry if need be. I always like to have a Plan B when tenting. Even if it's terrible, it'll still be an upgrade from my ancient pup tent which is going to be too tight now that I have two little campers.

juligrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #40
memorykeeper
Mouseketeer

I chickened out and returned mine today so some camper braver than me can get a really good deal. I purchased one at Walmart that I think I will be happy with. Great reviews so I'll keep my fingers crossed since I have big plans for this tent. I can't figure out how to link a picture so you can go here to see it http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5493338 I didn't pay full price since it was a clearance item in the store, wish me luck.
Linda
Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #41
Tent Camping Mom
Sleeping Under the Stars
It can be dangerous just make sure you have plenty of elbow room

Quote:
I chickened out and returned mine today so some camper braver than me can get a really good deal. I purchased one at Walmart that I think I will be happy with. Great reviews so I'll keep my fingers crossed since I have big plans for this tent. I can't figure out how to link a picture so you can go here to see it http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5493338 I didn't pay full price since it was a clearance item in the store, wish me luck.
Linda
I like the cabin style better than domes, they seem to be more roomy. Just curious, how many do you plan to sleep in there? I know it says it is a 5-person cabin but I doubt you will be able to get 5 in there comfortably. There's only 3 of us and we had a Coleman 9x12 which we had to upgrade to a larger tent this past year because DS's feet were poking through. That sounds like I have a 9 foot son but in reality by the time you add pillows, sleeping bags, teddy bear, lantern, fan and room to flop around, the space is eaten up fairly quickly.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #42
Dsny4Me
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=memorykeeper;23010726]I chickened out and returned mine today so some camper braver than me can get a really good deal. I purchased one at Walmart that I think I will be happy with. Great reviews so I'll keep my fingers crossed since I have big plans for this tent.

DH and I purchased this tent for our trip to the Fort this past December and we loved it. I was a little concerned about it so we put it up in the backyard for a test run before the trip and it survived high winds and a good downpour with no problem. I did seal it beforehand, though. Just didn't want to take any chances.

Can't wait to take it back again in April!
Dsny4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #43
memorykeeper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tent Camping Mom View Post
I like the cabin style better than domes, they seem to be more roomy. Just curious, how many do you plan to sleep in there? I know it says it is a 5-person cabin but I doubt you will be able to get 5 in there comfortably. There's only 3 of us and we had a Coleman 9x12 which we had to upgrade to a larger tent this past year because DS's feet were poking through. That sounds like I have a 9 foot son but in reality by the time you add pillows, sleeping bags, teddy bear, lantern, fan and room to flop around, the space is eaten up fairly quickly.
I plan to have three in the tent. My husband and six year old will be joining me. We will have a queen size air mattress for the three of us. There is no point in even attempting to get my "chicken little" son to sleep on his own bed no matter how much more comfortable we all might be.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #44
memorykeeper
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Dsny4Me;23014946]
Quote:
I chickened out and returned mine today so some camper braver than me can get a really good deal. I purchased one at Walmart that I think I will be happy with. Great reviews so I'll keep my fingers crossed since I have big plans for this tent.

DH and I purchased this tent for our trip to the Fort this past December and we loved it. I was a little concerned about it so we put it up in the backyard for a test run before the trip and it survived high winds and a good downpour with no problem. I did seal it beforehand, though. Just didn't want to take any chances.

Can't wait to take it back again in April!
Does this tent really have two rooms? It doesn't say it does on the box so I'm just wondering.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #45
Tent Camping Mom
Sleeping Under the Stars
It can be dangerous just make sure you have plenty of elbow room

Quote:

Does this tent really have two rooms? It doesn't say it does on the box so I'm just wondering.
I just checked it out for you...it does. Here's a pic showing the divider:

I think it looks bigger than it actually is. Since that tent is an 8x10, and it looks like it is divided equally, I'm guessing, with the queen mattress (which is about 5 x 6.5), I doubt you'll be able to use it as two rooms. You don't want any part of your air mattress, blankets, or pillows or anything touching the sides of the walls because it will act as a wick when it rains and once it starts, there's no stopping it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: