Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
GrammyJudy
DIS Veteran

Canes on Airplanes

Does anyone know if you are allowed to carry a cane on a plane? Also if I use a cane to get to a prk can I carry it on the ECV? Maybe a folding cane is the answer...has anyone used these? I have a bad knee and need the cane.
GrammyJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
HarbinsMom
Mouseketeer

I always take mine on. Sometimes the flight attendant tries to take it and store it, but I insist that it stays with me. You shouldn't have any problems. Have a good trip.

May/June 2008 DLR,
May 2007 WDW CBR, July 2006 DLR, July 2005 DLR, July 2004 DLR, July 2003 DLR, January 2003 WDW CBR, April 2002 DLR, July 2001 DLR, July 2000 DLR, December 1999 WDW CBR, May 1998 DLR, December 1996 WDW-offsite
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m2as9dlqkgbk2.png[/img]
HarbinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

When I carry a cane on the airplane I will either put it in the luggage rack above me or ask one of the cabin attendents to keep it in a closet for me.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Here's the link to what you can/can't take on an airplane:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
mrmagicmph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyJudy View Post
Does anyone know if you are allowed to carry a cane on a plane? Also if I use a cane to get to a prk can I carry it on the ECV? Maybe a folding cane is the answer...has anyone used these? I have a bad knee and need the cane.
You can certainly carry your cane on a plane. You might be (esp. at MCO, from what I remember) given a wooden cane to lean on to go through the metal detector & have the cane go through the Xray machine, but you can definitely have it & use it on the plane (I've done so often).

Regarding the use with an ECV, are you planning on using a Disney ECV, or are you planning on renting from offsite? My recommendation would be from offsite for many reasons, including better ECVs (easier to maneuver, usually lower cost, ability to have it to get around the hotel as well as through the large areas before you hit the gates, etc). Additionally, most of the offsite companies can attach a cane holder to the ECV for your cane. I've done this twice and have been VERY pleased. One trick to learn, however, is to remove your cane from the holder (it is normally attached to the back cushion of the ECV, so that your cane will "trail" behind you) before getting on one of the ECV lifts for the buses. Much less likely to hit something or have it come off in mid-lift.

Enjoy the Magic!

"And I wish to remind you that the smile is the shortest distance between people, and the more we smile, the less we fight. Because to my knowledge, no one ever fought smilingly...and won. So not goodbye, then. Never goodbye. Just...so long." (Victor Borge)
mrmagicmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

I use a folding cane for travel - on the airplane, I fold it up and put it in the pocket. On the ecv, it's generally in front of me between my knees, because I can't twist well to retrieve it from a cane holder on the back of the seat.

Also, on my ecv, I use a shoulder strap 'gymbag' style bag, hung over the two canopy supports (by the shoulder strap) on the back as a 'trunk' to hold coats etc. No one has ever bothered it, and makes it easy to identify the scooter as mine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: