Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #256
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
That cake looks absolutely gorgeous and so delicious, was it strawberry filling?:
Yep - it was a marble cake with strawberry mousse filling. And I have no idea what the little roll of icing was made out of around the bottom of the cake, but DH were fighting over who got to eat that , as it was yummy!

Quote:
So sorry you felt ill again, but I'm so pleased you were able to eat cake
Thanks Jo - it was very weird the way it just hit. Perhaps if we'd had the cake before dinner I would have been ok the whole time.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
Old 03-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #257
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

The glow cubes are so cool! I've never ordered anything with one, but I'm just going to have to get a water with a glow cube next time or something!

That cake is beautiful! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy it.

And 48 years. Wow. MAJOR KUDOS to them! I can't believe they have been married for 48 years, seriously, they don't look old enough to have been married that long, unless they got married when they were like 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
I used to think that too about being inside is shorter than being outside...until we stayed at BWV this trip. Once DH figured out all the shortcuts we were always outside and cutting across to get to places, I think we only walked from the villa side to the hotel side inside once!

POFQ really is quick and great...even if you're at the building farthest away from the main one, you can be there in just a couple of minutes. I always recommend POFQ.
I can't remember if I posted this, but I told my DH about all the maps your DH posted with the routes you took and he thought that was just awesome. Something he so would have done!

That is great to know about POFQ, I'm keeping it in mind for a future trip!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #258
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
The glow cubes are so cool! I've never ordered anything with one, but I'm just going to have to get a water with a glow cube next time or something! !
If I ever get to update you'll see I did something very similar to that

Quote:
That cake is beautiful! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy it.

And 48 years. Wow. MAJOR KUDOS to them! I can't believe they have been married for 48 years, seriously, they don't look old enough to have been married that long, unless they got married when they were like 8!!!
They said to tell you thank you! And my DMIL still has the flowers in the fridge...I think she keeps trying to put them on other cakes and we keep saying we're not eating anything that has been touched by flowers (even if they are sugar or gum paste) that are almost a year old!

Quote:
I can't remember if I posted this, but I told my DH about all the maps your DH posted with the routes you took and he thought that was just awesome. Something he so would have done!
I shared the map thing with DH and he said your DH is a smart man I truly have no sense of direction, so his skills really are a big help to me.

Thanks everyone for sticking with me...this trippie only has a few days left...maybe that's why I keep putting off finishing. I'll definitely try and get Saturday up this week. Although as soon as this TR is done, I can start my 40th birthday pre-trip for September that has already changed so many times I'm not even sure if I can keep track!
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #259
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I have zero sense of direction too, I love that DH has one though!

Looking forward to an update when you can get to it - and the PTR too!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #260
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Animal Kingdom Fun....

Today was all about the animals. Since we missed AK yesterday, DH agreed to go today…he wanted to ride EE. However, this didn’t mean he wanted to get up early or was in any hurry once he did get up. Yes, I was still aggravated and you think I’d be used to it, but I never do What we did end up doing was wandering around for just a few minutes to look at the animals:

All week people were working on the Lodge and we caught them doing some decorative painting on the outside walls.

So off to the AK we head, the trees outside the entrance were in bloom and were very pretty:

After stopping for a couple of PP pics

we went straight to EE to grab a FP, the standby was only about 30 minutes, but the FP return was only an hour later, so we opted to do that. We then headed into Dinoland so three of us could ride Dinosaur. The line claimed to be short, but in reality, it was one of the longest waits we had. I really wish our scanner was working better, because the best part about this ride is the picture on the ride. For some reason, DH always always always looks TERRIFIED in the picture. The rest of us are usually laughing and smiling for the camera, but it just catches him with the scared looks.

With a quick stop for a couple of photos

We headed back to EE, so DH and I could ride.

At this point the FP line and the standby line were about the same, so we jumped in the regular line thinking we’d save our FP and ride again later. We’ve ridden this ride before and it was great. HOWEVER, this time, it seemed to get to both of us….maybe it was because we hadn’t eaten anything, or maybe it was because I was sick (although DH didn’t have that excuse) but we both came off a wee bit wobbly. Not sure what caused it….maybe the small backwards part, but we decided not to ride it again.

Neither one of us wanted anything, but DFIL was in the mood for ice cream…so he had his first Mickey Bar of the trip and really enjoyed it.

While he was snacking on it, DH and I decided to give away our FP’s to EE…and had the hardest time. I remember Nebo having some trouble in his trippie giving his away, and I swear we had the same thing. We’d offer them to people and they’d ask us for different ones and would be all disappointed when that’s all we had….what happened to just saying no thanks? We finally got someone to take them, and about five minutes later noticed them trying to give them away or trade them. It almost wasn’t worth it and the whole experience almost makes me want to just toss them next time. Perhaps we need some kind of Dis alert and we can send out a message on FB or something asking if anyone is in the park who wants them! Although I think this was just the kind of day it was destined to be.

We spotted another PP opp so we took it…the photographer was another great one and had us do normal and a fun pose

We did a few other things (Bug, Kali) and then we then saw the Nemo show…a couple of our friends had seen it when it first opened and said we absolutely had to see it…that it was fantastic. I have to admit to being a wee bit worried….the last time a friend said I absolutely had to see something, it was Alien Encounter. He came back from DW and told me I could not miss it as it was super exciting. So on our next trip DFIL and I saw it with no line (should have been a hint!) and went in. When the braces came over us, we figured the room would spin or something just as fun as that. Then NOTHING happened except for a few effects. We were stunned and couldn’t believe we’d just wasted precious Disney time on it! Thankfully this recommendation was right on the mark and the show was really cute and even DH who doesn’t like a lot of the shows enjoyed this one.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #261
TyRy
It is making me nutty

DMIL being a huge Donald fan just had to find Daisy and the nephews, so off we went…

And I also grabbed a bit of rest while everyone decided what we should do

The decision was made to head back to AK and maybe hit the pool. This was actually DIL’s last day as they were taking off a day before us. We did get a few more cute PP pics:

And we then took the “secret exit” way out as DIL’s had never gone that way. They really enjoyed it..

Once we were back in the room, I headed off to the pool by myself as the others were either packing or working on the laptops.

So I grabbed a chair in the sun and settled in with my book. I wasn’t there long when I overheard a something that then was bugging me. I won’t go off into a tangent as I don’t want my TR locked but….the large family in front of me was bragging how they were staying at the All Stars but this was a way better pool and they were spending the whole day here. Ummm…perhaps that is why they had the cooler with them. They also had a TON of toys right on the edge of the pool blocking part of the entrance on the stairs. Yes, I should have reported them and do regret not doing it, but how are they there with a cooler and not questioned at all? I do know at some point the husband went to see if it was possible to switch to AKL, but gave up and went back to the room before he came back. As I said before, I totally regret not getting a manager and saying something. Heck, even DVC members are not allowed to pool hop to AKL. Maybe Disney is looking the other way so the can try and get people to switch like these people wanted to do.

I then went back up and DH even said I should say something; I just wasn’t in the mood for a confrontation. So I go sit out on the balcony, look around and see someone doing a banned thing on their balcony. (Don’t want the TR closed, so I’m only inferring what it was ) I swear, this was the day of people who just didn’t want to follow any rules or be polite.

After resting for a while, DH and I had dinner scheduled at Boma. We’d only eaten breakfast here and never dinner as I am super picky and don’t like anything . But DH really wanted to try it, so we did. We checked in and were handed our pager, and took the time to take yet more pics of the AKL:

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST
Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #262
TyRy
It is making me nutty

We had thought about getting a wine flight, but our server could not tell us what types of wine were in the red flight other than they were red….I swear we needed a total do over of today! Ok fine, then we’ll just have pop. I then asked for a glow cube in mine since my quest to collect was in danger of being the worst ever since I was not able to get all my glowing drinks during the week. The server looked shocked and asked if we were sure and then nicely (I mean that truly) informed us how much they cost. DH said he didn’t care and to please bring me one. The server then reiterated again that we wanted a glow cube in my soda…yes already. For some reason, if I was a server I think I’d want people ordering drinks or glow cubes…bigger bill, bigger tip right? Not this guy

I finally got it and it did crack DH up….

We then made it to the food….thankfully our first trip up there wasn’t too long a line…
DH’s first and second plate:

My first plate:

He loved everything and I just thought it was ehhhhhh…but again that would be because I’m picky. We went back one more time and might have gone back a third, but the line for the main dishes was super long by then so we moved onto desserts.

Since we did not have anything alcoholic at dinner and I was feeling good we decided to stop in and get that glass of wine at VF…it is sooooo relaxing.

DFIL then called us and said he was going to settle his part of the bill. All week we had been putting everything on the room charge and then I figured out who owed what for meals. So I met him at the desk when he was paying…

And DH took the opportunity to take more pictures…you can never have enough right?

We then walked back to the room together (the wine had made me sleepy) and said goodnight and told them to wake us before they left. Tomorrow we’ll say goodbye to the Castle and try and squeeze in anything we still wanted to do before we left the day after. There was one thing that did hit me…normally DH gets sick at least one day every trip and that still hadn’t happened……..
Old 05-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #263
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Wow you sure met some strange people that day what with the FP's and pool hopping!

BTW please can you tell me that secret exit at AK, it looks great
Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #264
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Wow you sure met some strange people that day what with the FP's and pool hopping!

BTW please can you tell me that secret exit at AK, it looks great
I think that whole day was just off.

And I'm not sure how "secret" it is anymore...I just never knew about it till someone told me. There's a wide bridge that you cross from the Tree of Life to exit and it normally looks like you turn have to turn either left or right to exit. But you can actually walk straight thru the rocks that are in front of you. It's kind of a "cave" and it leads out to another bridge. You can then go left or right from there. They have some great birds in this area.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #265
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Quote:
And I'm not sure how "secret" it is anymore...I just never knew about it till someone told me. There's a wide bridge that you cross from the Tree of Life to exit and it normally looks like you turn have to turn either left or right to exit. But you can actually walk straight thru the rocks that are in front of you. It's kind of a "cave" and it leads out to another bridge. You can then go left or right from there. They have some great birds in this area.
Oh I have read about that before on a certain paid website but could never figure out exactly where it was, I'll be sure to find it next time
Old 05-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #266
TyRy
It is making me nutty

OT: Some Scary News...

Hi all,

I hope you and the mods will indulge me with this post since it is a bit off topic from my trippie...this may also explain my absence the past couple of weeks...

Most you you know my DMIL from reading our trip reports and how much fun she is. Well we recently received some scary news....I was wondering if anyone knows anything about or anyone who has had spindle cell sarcoma? My DMIL was just diagnosed with this rare form of cancer (the doctors are the ones who called it rare.) The tumor is in her heart/lung/sternum area...they are not yet sure what it has attached itself to...we are still waiting to find that out. But the biopsy came back last week with the malignant cancer diagnosis. Our family knows nothing about this, but we are hoping for the best.

We are checking out the different hospitals in Chicago, but she's willing to go where ever to find a doc who knows about this. I've also posted in the Coping and Compassion section, but I know that is a place I usually do not visit (and have already gotten a few good responses.) So I figured I'd post here as well on the off chance someone knows someone who knows someone.

She did say yesterday while we were at the hospital that she was in no uncertain terms going to be rid of this so she could go with us in September...the power of Disney!

Thanks all!

Tracy
Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #267
irish dancer
DIS Veteran

to you and your family and lots of .

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with this type of cancer. You've probably seen the commercials too but there is a Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion, IL. I would also recommend a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th opinion.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #268
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Oh Ty I'm so sorry, I don't have any knowledge of that type of cancer but my family has been affected by other types. I hope your MIL keeps her positive attitude as it really helps
Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #269
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:

I LOVE this picture!
And AKL...

Sounds like you had a pretty good day and night despite the weird people you ran across not wanting FPs (and being rude about it!), then the waiter...

I'm so sorry to hear about your DMIL too... I don't know anything about that form of cancer, but I will be praying for and thinking of her, and your family during this difficult time. The default hospital us Minnesotans go to is Mayo when we have something 'rare' or unexplained going on. Mayo isn't too far from you, so it's always a definite possiblity. The town its in (Rochester) actually has an airport too so getting there is even easier.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #270
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish dancer View Post
to you and your family and lots of .

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with this type of cancer. You've probably seen the commercials too but there is a Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion, IL. I would also recommend a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th opinion.
Thanks irish dancer for the good wishes. It's kind of funny - at least it made DMIL laugh! - but when you look online for this type you find way more info on it for dogs! At one point we suggested going to see our little doggie's vet...she got a kick out of that We have seen the commercials and that has been suggested...she's basically on her second opinon now.

Quote:
Oh Ty I'm so sorry, I don't have any knowledge of that type of cancer but my family has been affected by other types. I hope your MIL keeps her positive attitude as it really helps
Thanks Jo - we just left the new hospital and she really is as positive as ever. We'll know more next week, but there's a chance she won't be joining us now in September. But, her exact words when I asked about the long treatment were "I'm just going to have to give them (the docs) a deadline!"

Quote:
I LOVE this picture!
And AKL...
I do too - it cracks me up every time, and AKL just makes me go ahhhhhhhhhh.

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear about your DMIL too... I don't know anything about that form of cancer, but I will be praying for and thinking of her, and your family during this difficult time. The default hospital us Minnesotans go to is Mayo when we have something 'rare' or unexplained going on. Mayo isn't too far from you, so it's always a definite possiblity. The town its in (Rochester) actually has an airport too so getting there is even easier.
Thanks Brook - the Mayo had actually been tossed around since it really is not that far in the scheme of things. I think whenever someone gets something "rare" we also think Mayo...when I was having some mysterious lung thing three years ago we almost went. But then we took a trip to WDW and when we got back it had completely cleared up! I now call the castle my healing castle

I really do appreciate all the well wishes, they mean a lot to the entire family, so thank you all again!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: