Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #241
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Into the Wilderness....Off to California -Part 3

Dinner that night was at California Grille…on our last trip we had an absolute blast here and DIL’s really wanted to go again. Of course we had to check out BLT from the ground and while we were waiting to be seated.

And then once we got upstairs, we had a small wait, so we went outside to check it out…

We were seated only one table away from the windows and we had a MK view. It was a great spot, so I promptly took a seat so I could look at the Castle the entire night.

We started with a bottle of wine…last time we had two or three, but I wasn’t going to drink (much!) and DFIL didn’t want wine so we were good with just the one.

DFIL wanted to try the cheese course, something I’d never had before. It was really nice, but for the price I’m not sure I’d do it again, or if it was just DH and I.

For dinner they all ordered the pork tenderloin and I had a filet. My filet was good, but OMG, the pork was OUTSTANDING! I’m really hoping they still have it on the menu in September because I want my own dish of it!

We stayed in our seats for the fireworks and still saw them nicely. By the end of dinner, I started not feeling all that great (probably did too much again!) so we just headed back to AKL. This place is so nice to come back to at the end of a long day…it just screams relaxing for some reason.

Tomorrow will be actually an easy day, so as long as I feel ok…we should be good…and we are having dinner at Citricos…something I’ve been looking forward to all trip!
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR* *Oct 2014 Trip AKVJ, BLT, AKVJ*
Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #242
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

an update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
DH was also feeling very proud of himself as we ended up not being late…he snapped a picture to prove it
love it! Stinks that he was right though, doesn't it?!

Quote:

That big hunk next to the waffle is butter…I think I must have thought I could at least get that down if nothing else

After my first few bites everything was ok…I could actually eat and not make faces or be in pain. So the first plate was quickly demolished and this was what my second plate looked like -
So glad you are feeling better! I would have totally done the same thing, cautious at first, then PILE IT ON BABY! YUM! Your comment about the butter made me laugh out loud--at work--people think I'm nutty here anyway, so all well!

Quote:
LOVE THIS! What a great shot! Do you guys take one like this every year?

I love the FW sites too. It's fun to look on FW fans threads that show their campsites - Christmas seems to be a big decorating time over there as well. It's so fun! It's like they live there...which might not be so bad, huh?

Your Photopass pics are GREAT! I like it when the CMs get into their job like that.

Quote:
So sweet! I love that you can't really see any people in the background either. It looks like your DH cleared the park just for you!

Quote:
I have never seen one like this - and I love the idea! I am getting a pic of Henry with his chin in "Dut Dut's" hand in December! (Which might be an interesting feat with a 2 year old...)

That is so funny about your DFIL having his own car on the TTA! And I love that you got a picture to remember the moment. His look in it is perfect! Kinda saying "Ya, shut up, I'm fine, whatever..." but being slight embarassed at the same time.

I agree with you about AKL-ahhhhhh...it's quite and calm and soothing. So, so relaxing!

Love the BLT construction pics too. I got a ton of those in January - they are moving so fast on it! We hope to do CG in December. I'm making a mental note of the Pork Tenderloin-it looks awesome!

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well by the end of the day-but at least you made it all the way through, right?! Hopefully it will get even better on the next day.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #243
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Wow I love what people do at FW, so creative I would never have known!!!

Love the PP photos too, so cute and sounds like you had a lovely meal, I'm glad you felt better today
Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #244
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
So sweet! I love that you can't really see any people in the background either. It looks like your DH cleared the park just for you!
I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out...see if DH was still posting and paying attention he could have pointed that out..too late now

Quote:
I have never seen one like this - and I love the idea! I am getting a pic of Henry with his chin in "Dut Dut's" hand in December! (Which might be an interesting feat with a 2 year old...)
This was the first time I'd ever had a PPP tell us to go over and do this - I thought it was such a great idea.

Quote:
That is so funny about your DFIL having his own car on the TTA! And I love that you got a picture to remember the moment. His look in it is perfect! Kinda saying "Ya, shut up, I'm fine, whatever..." but being slight embarassed at the same time.
I think that's exactly what he was shouting at is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Wow I love what people do at FW, so creative I would never have known!!!
The decorations at FW were so good, I'm so glad DFIL suggested we do the golf cart. If we ever go back at Christmas time, I'm definitely touring FW again.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #245
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

TyRy, thanks for the great update! The Cali Grill pork tenderloin is really a fantastic dish, I had it twice so far and absolutely love it! I think you don't need to worry about it being available on your next visit. As far as I know it is one of their signature dishes and has been on the menu since the restaurant opened.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #246
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
TyRy, thanks for the great update! The Cali Grill pork tenderloin is really a fantastic dish, I had it twice so far and absolutely love it! I think you don't need to worry about it being available on your next visit. As far as I know it is one of their signature dishes and has been on the menu since the restaurant opened.
I'm glad you enjoyed the update....now if I could only get another one up this week! And thanks for that tidbit about the Cali Grill Flossbolna. I think DH might have been ready to skip it this upcoming trip, but I really want my own this time
Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #247
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Changing plans...again!

Warning....It's lots of pictures again

Today was supposed to be AK day, but if memory serves me, DH was busy throwing a fit that he had no time to relax on this vacation. Again, I’m not sure how many times we have to go through this but we are at Disney…you either sleep till noon and then get to the parks or get up, go to the parks and then get back and relax. He chooses the sleep till noon, so I say it’s his own fault that he had no pool time. So I caved in at some point (I think he was lucky I wasn’t a 100% yet!) and said fine. We’d stay at the Lodge. So I started my day, as I always like to when at AKL with a Mickey waffle

I have no idea why, but I really do love these!!!

When DH was finally ready we decided to actually walk the long hallways. We hadn’t done this when we stayed at AKL the first time since we were there for such a short period, so it was adventure time. And wow – those were long hallways…I guess I always knew they were, but WOW. I’m not even sure I’d want a Grand Villa facing the savannah if I had to be all the way out there. We did get some great animal shots and other views of the lodge and Kidani at that time…

We then decided to see how close we could get to Kidani….of course now it’s almost finished, but here’s how it looked on our wandering….

We went as far as we could and then headed back to the lodge and snapped just a couple of the front….

And a few more inside…I’m not sure you can ever have too many pictures of this place, plus we are always finding new details like on this lamp.

Continued in next post....
Old 03-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #248
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Since it has been a while and my notes don’t say anything about this, I’m not sure how the decision was made, but we ended up at POFQ. This was the first resort we ever stayed at when we stayed on property and continues to be a favorite. We were now a bit hungry and it was time for another one of my horse pills to keep my strep away so we stopped to get some food. DH ordered soup and a large order of beignets to split.

These are so yummy!!!

When we stayed at POFQ, we’d come back from a long day in the parks and get an order of beignets and I’d get an ice cream Sunday, which they didn’t really have any more. You could still get ice cream, but it wasn’t the same as it was in 2004 when we last stayed there.

We then walked around a bit and agreed that neither one of us would have any problems staying there. It’s so pretty and I love the fact that it is compact as it is…you’re never really far from your car or pool or anything.

After our POFQ adventure we headed back to AKL to rest up a bit before dinner at Citricos…I was really looking forward to this one and was hoping I would not be disappointed like I was when we dined at Narcoosee’s two years ago……
Old 03-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #249
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
Warning....It's lots of pictures again
Oh, darn!

What beautiful pictures! Ahhh..AKL, it's just so stunning. We also thought POFQ, the very bit we saw of it, was beautiful. I could see us extending a trip by staying a few extra days there. I like to hear that it's compact-I am not big fan of having to walk a long way to the main building/pool, etc. It always seems shorter to me when you are IN a hotel (like AKL/WL) than outside.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #250
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Oh, darn!

What beautiful pictures! Ahhh..AKL, it's just so stunning. We also thought POFQ, the very bit we saw of it, was beautiful. I could see us extending a trip by staying a few extra days there. I like to hear that it's compact-I am not big fan of having to walk a long way to the main building/pool, etc. It always seems shorter to me when you are IN a hotel (like AKL/WL) than outside.
I used to think that too about being inside is shorter than being outside...until we stayed at BWV this trip. Once DH figured out all the shortcuts we were always outside and cutting across to get to places, I think we only walked from the villa side to the hotel side inside once!

POFQ really is quick and great...even if you're at the building farthest away from the main one, you can be there in just a couple of minutes. I always recommend POFQ.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #251
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Wow you were good letting DH have a lie in day, sounds like it was nice though
Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #252
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Wow you were good letting DH have a lie in day, sounds like it was nice though
I have to admit it drove me crazy to let him....all he wanted to do was sleep and all I wanted to do was get out of the hotel room...I'd seen enough of it that week!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #253
TyRy
It is making me nutty

A Citricos Surprise

After resting a bit we decided to meet the DIL’s in the bar for a drink before heading over to the GF. This is definitely something we once again did not take advantage of this trip as I as sick and we were running around otherwise.

If DH was still posting, he’d say: See if we could relax and take advantage of this gorgeous resort we have, sitting and having a drink at the bar would not be an event. It should be something we are doing on a regular basis!

To which I would say: If we took more trips to WDW we wouldn’t have to run around like maniacs because I wouldn’t feel like I have to fit everything in

Anyway…we met in the bar for a drink. I had to have my YOMD glow-tini as I was once again seriously behind in my collecting of glow cubes. I love the way it changed the color of the drink:

The DIL’s both had Gimlet’s and DH had a beer. We also had a great server who took a nice group photo of us:

It was then off to Citricos and a little surprise I had for the DIL’s. They are the ones who took me on my first three trips to WDW so I wanted to be able to continue to thank them. Our DVC allowed us to treat them to a resort they probably would not have stayed at otherwise, but I wanted to do something else. We get there and I make sure that DH will distract them when we check in so I can check on their surprise.

We had a short wait before our table was ready, no more than five minutes, and were shown to a lovely table in the middle of the restaurant. Our server came by to introduce himself and his name was Chafik (can’t remember the spelling.) All of the sudden I had one of those “D’OH” moments. Way back when we were at O’Hanas our server Chris told us to ask for either Chafik or his wife at Citricos. Well with everything that had happened during the week I’d completely forgotten to ask for him. It was pure luck that we ended up with him.

I think I may have scared him a bit (imagine that ) as I was so excited and immediately pointed out to Mark that Chris has recommended Chafik to us. Chafik was very happy to hear that Chris had done this. He took our drink orders and left for a bit.

He brought our drinks and a little something special…amuse bouche. For us it was a bruschetta type course, very nice and very unexpected.

Our drinks consisted of beer, wine and, of course, a martini with a glowcube. I can’t remember the name of it, but it was something at just the GF and was yummy!

He then took our orders and DH and DIL’s got appetizers. DH got the arancini

and DIL’s both got some sort of seafood soup (looks like it’s not on the menu anymore)

About the time they started their appetizers I started not feeling very well. It wasn’t my throat, but a general icky sense all of the sudden. I tried to hide it, but DH noticed something was off. I switched from my drink to pop to see if that would help…it only did a little. I had been looking forward to this meal all week and now I was in danger of having to excuse myself and go back to the hotel to collapse. I did get up and go get some air, and felt just a wee bit better.

By the time I got back, it wasn’t long until our main courses arrived. I had see Mr. K review this meal months ago and knew if they still had it, I had to have it – the bone-in ribeye. MMMMMM

Unfortunately I had two bites and was finished. DH didn’t mind this one bit as this meant he got to eat his (which I can’t remember what he had) and mine as well. We did get a couple of funny pics as he dared me to pick it up and pretend to eat it…so I did

DMIL had the short ribs (which she gave me a bite of and were very yummy)

and DFIL had the veal shank which he also enjoyed.

After dinner, Chaik cleared the plates, but did not ask if anyone wanted coffee and or dessert. DIL’s started to get a bit ancy and thought it was weird that he did not ask if we wanted coffee or dessert.

Continued in next post....
Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #254
TyRy
It is making me nutty

A Citricos Surprise Part 2

So after a few more minutes (this meal was definitely not rushed) Chafik brought out their surprise. An anniversary cake for the two of them!

They were SHOCKED! We were so busy taking pictures of the cake, we forgot to take a picture of them, espically DMIL. Chafik waited while we took a bunch of pictures then brought it back to the kitchen to be cut and to bring out coffee. When he brought the cake back, he had brought us a little surprise…our own anniversary greeting (since we had mentioned both on the ADR.)

And here’s a view of it all cut:

The cake was delicious! And DH proclaimed this was the best coffee he ever had. He even took pictures:

Thankfully by the time the cake arrived I felt a little bit better and was able to enjoy dessert. I informed DH that we would be going to Citricos twice on our next trip so I could make up for the meal I basically missed that night . It was really very good, and I highly recommend it. However, it was pricey (which we knew) and really did take a long time to get through, which was fine. It was a very relaxing meal.

After dinner I wanted to stop in one of the shops and get something for my sister, so DH took the opportunity to take a few pics

It was then back to AKV and called it a night. Still not sure what set me off, but we figured it was probably the first martini I had and the major antibiotics I was still taking. So that meant no more drinks for me

Tomorrow we’ll try to hit AK and I’ll get to see firsthand what some people on the Dis complain about….
Old 03-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #255
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

That cake looks absolutely gorgeous and so delicious, was it strawberry filling?

So sorry you felt ill again, but I'm so pleased you were able to eat cake

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: