Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
IAmAHiddenMickey
My Disney magic is within, only appearing at the parks and on the ships! Hi Tigger1221!

Stealing the Magic for 2 - WB Panama Canal - Updated 7/5

Introduction to the Big Adventure

Hi there, and welcome to our adventure! My DW is Tigger1221 (Jill, 23), and she is the one who drags me on these adventures. My name is Matt (24), and I made the wonderful mistake of marrying a Disney nut. We’ve been married since June of 06, so this cruise is our 2 year anniversary celebration.

Well our adventure begins around Sept. 15th or 16th, 2006. I can’t really remember. We were on the 10 night Wonder cruise on our honeymoon – and having a blast. Somehow Jill convinced me that we needed to go ahead and book our next cruise – because we would be getting such a great deal! She really knows how to push my financial buttons, and we’ve been married less than 3 months!

So off we go to the reservation desk, and got in a long line. I look at the other guys that are there, most looking like they don’t think they should rebook until they get their final bill on this cruise to see how much DW charged to the room (It was only a few dollars, I promise! Then why do we now own 15 pieces of art and a thousand pins?) . But we did it; we rebooked our cruise (me having to provide a piece of plastic other than my KTTW card). We actually reserved a room on the Magic for one of the Med cruises, but I think we both knew we wouldn’t be going. The base cost was around $5,000 for a cat. 12, and that was without airfare, tips, etc. At the time she was still in school, and I hadn’t found that high paying job that was supposed to come right after college. So, we booked it in hopes that when the 2008 dates came out, something better would come along.

And boy did it come along! Dates were announced, and I was excited to see the 15 night cruise. I had heard all about the previous sailing through the PC, and really wanted to do that. “Oh, but why don’t we go on the 7 night?” Jill asked, “And then we can go to Disneyland too!” I pointed out that after the 10 night, I didn’t think I could do any less. I mean, who wants to be pampered for just a few days right? So the 15 night it was. Once small hitch though, I started my first fulltime post-college job as a contract employee on Jan. 02, and did not know if I would even be employed past the 6 month contract period. We figured that we could always cancel if we had to, but hoped that we didn’t!

Honeymoon Beach, St. Thomas

To be continued...

Last edited by lbgraves; 07-05-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Requested by OP
IAmAHiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
IAmAHiddenMickey
My Disney magic is within, only appearing at the parks and on the ships! Hi Tigger1221!

Continuation of the Introduction to the Big Adventure

Jill read all about it on the Dis and got up (or never went to sleep! ) to book our cruise the moment they were available. And she did! She even got a room number, something she tells me we were lucky to get – because they stopped giving them out. We also got into one of the lowest price tiers. She might be getting a massage at the spa for that one.

Anyway, she booked online because the phones were slammed. Around a week later she called to see if we could transfer our Med. reservation (including the incentives) to our PC cruise. She was told that she could, but that they would have to cancel the one she booked online, rebook it (at a MUCH higher rate) and then we would get the 10% and $200.00 stateroom credit. That would have cost us more money that we would have saved, so we just ended up canceling the Med and transferring the deposit. Lesson learned: don’t give Disney free use of your money for a year if you don’t plan on calling them to transfer your reservation.

In June, the time for the Med cruise came and went (and how I have loved reading the trip reports from those cruises!). It was sad to realize that we could have been on it. May of 2008 seemed so far away!

Let's just say Match Your Mate is a fun game - if you're not being forced to play

July and August, 2007. The letter arrives in our mailbox. An extra $200.00 charge for PC taxes has been added to your bill. Our total taxes on the bill showed up as $295, so I figured that a) they didn’t charge us for them in the first place because they paid for them or b) they did not know how much they would be until then. I am certainly glad there were only two of us going, cause per person that fee could add up quick! Jill ended up switching our reservation over to Dreams Unlimited – they are great! They ended up giving us a $400 stateroom credit, and when Disney decided they would go ahead and pay the taxes, DU still gave us the same amount! Awesome service and we will be booking through them again.

To be continued...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
IAmAHiddenMickey

Continuation of the Continuation of the Introduction to the Big Adventure

By this time I had been hired full time, and would get 2 weeks of vacation in 2008, which means we had better make the most of this cruise! I for some reason thought that when Jill said we needed to fly in the day before, that meant Thursday night, so that’s what I planned on. The Monday after the cruise is a holiday, so I don’t have to work that day. Which means we have a Friday before the cruise and the rest of Sunday after getting off the ship free. Hmmm, wonder what we will be doing! Part of Thursday and Friday we will be at WDW, staying at the Swan and Dolphin (thanks Amex Starwood points!). Then after the cruise, we’ll be heading to Disneyland on Sunday and staying at the Candy Cane Inn, and then flying back on Monday. Jill has been to Disneyland, but I never have so it will be new to me!

Wow, that’s a lot of blabbering to lead up to this: if you want to see the 15 night Panama Canal Westbound cruise through the eyes of a young married couple with no kids (except for two kitties), stay tuned!

Chrissy says she's been practicing her hammock skills for Castaway Cay… wait, who’s not going?!

KMX says that she gets the bed to herself while Matt and Jill are gone!

Last edited by IAmAHiddenMickey; 01-28-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

aww i cant wait to read more about it. I would have loved to book this one but darn the military ruined our plans sending dh away LOL.

What ports did you hit on your 10night in 06?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Matt, can't wait to read your report....OH WAIT...I can't wait to LIVE your report.

See you on the MAGIC!

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

Looking forward to this. In fact - looking forward to the whole cruise and meeting you both!!!

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
GatorFamily
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to the full report..loved all the pics including the two kitties Look forward to meeting you.

It's nice to finally get our packets...it'll be here before we know it.

Just started to look into the candy cane inn...we may consider staying there depending if its walking distance to the gates.
GatorFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFamily View Post
Just started to look into the candy cane inn...we may consider staying there depending if its walking distance to the gates.

The Candy Cane is COSER to the entrance than the Disneyland hotel is! GO FOR IT.

Sorry, for the interruption and commercial, Matt.
Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
mishoe01
Addicted to DCL but no need for an intervention

Can't wait to meet you & Jill on this amazing cruise....will look forward to reading your updates too.
DW 3/10/05 9/29/05 12/10/06 Alaska 5/3/11 Hawaii 15nt 4/29/12 DM WBPC 15NT 5/10/08 7NT E 9/12/09 7NT W 1/23/10 EBTA 14NT 4/10/10 WBTA 9/19/15 DD MV 1/26/11 4/1/12 11/3/13 12/15/13 DF 12/15/12 NCL Jewel Baltic 12NT 4/28/09
mishoe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

whoo hoo! The party has started!
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
IAmAHiddenMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
aww i cant wait to read more about it. I would have loved to book this one but darn the military ruined our plans sending dh away LOL.

What ports did you hit on your 10night in 06?
Let's see... Castaway Cay, Barbados, Antigua, St Thomas/St John, and St. Lucia

Thank your husband for his service (and your service too!) I hope you guys have great fun on your cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post
Matt, can't wait to read your report....OH WAIT...I can't wait to LIVE your report.

See you on the MAGIC!

See you there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
Looking forward to this. In fact - looking forward to the whole cruise and meeting you both!!!
I just had a horrible thought - what if after close to 4000 pages of talking to each other, we get on the boat and having nothing to say?! LOL That will never happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFamily View Post
Looking forward to the full report..loved all the pics including the two kitties Look forward to meeting you.

It's nice to finally get our packets...it'll be here before we know it.

The kitties are please with your comment and have decided not to eat your post. While they do not like candy canes, they would stay at the Candy Cane Inn (only because it is close to a mouse population )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post
The Candy Cane is COSER to the entrance than the Disneyland hotel is! GO FOR IT.

Sorry, for the interruption and commercial, Matt.
Not a problem! Got to fill the time somehow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishoe01 View Post
Can't wait to meet you & Jill on this amazing cruise....will look forward to reading your updates too.
Getting closer every minute, we can't wait either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
whoo hoo! The party has started!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #12
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmAHiddenMickey View Post

I just had a horrible thought - what if after close to 4000 pages of talking to each other, we get on the boat and having nothing to say?! LOL That will never happen!

Getting closer every minute, we can't wait either!

Can you imagine this lot becoming speechless once onboard?

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
flower91882
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear about your cruise. We're also a young married couple with two kitties. So, it'll be nice to see the cruise through similar eyes.
Disney Wonder 4-night Pre-wedding Cruise 5/8/05
Our Disney Wedding! , Boardwalk Resort 12/15/05 - 12/23/05; Wedding: 12/19/05 Yacht Club Gazebo
Disney Magic 7-night Alternative Western 9/27/08 ; Disneyland Resort (offsite) 5/28/09-6/3/09
My Best Friend's Wedding! Pop Century Resort WDW 8/28/09-9/7/09
Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon 3/5/10-3/10/10 (2:15:18) ; 12-night Northern European Capitals Cruise 7/18/10
Baby's First Disney Family Vacation, Sept. 2012, Disney's Beach Club Villas
Planning: ??

flower91882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
mickeyluv
DIS Veteran

I can't wait to read some more of your report!!! We went on our 1st cruise this past November. It was the 4 night Wonder and we rebooked onboard for the 7 Night W. Caribbean this coming November . Would love to find a 10-nighter but I haven't seen any yet through Disney. The other problem though is our DD would have to be out of school for that time already. I don't think the school system would like it too much if she was out for 10 or 11 days . Looking forward to more of your TR!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
nanatink
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your report. See you on the ship.

Last edited by nanatink; 01-31-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: can't spell.
nanatink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: