Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #16
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

The water was pretty cold for the dolphin swim. My husband and son changed to a vest from the wetsuit after it got a bit warmer outside - it was cloudy and rainy. The water was much colder than Typhoon Lagoon, but as cold as the Shark Reef there. It could be a bit uncomfortable without the wetsuit or vest.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #17
mej
Earning My Ears

My kids were able to change from vest to shorty wet suit with no problem. The staff were lovely - very helpful, even giving my son 2 different sized suits to try on. It was 20th July and very hot so I made the kids wear their UV suits as I knew they'd be in the water all day BUT - they got so cold wearing these in and then out of the reef (they were 3/4 leg and sleeves) that they changed to the suits.
mej is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2005, 02:05 AM   #18
Florida113
Earning My Ears

I will warn you the Cpral Reef and Dolphon Pool is Freezing. I was shocked how cold it was. You do get used to it but its a bit of a shock. Make sure you take water shoes as I didn't and hurt my feet on rocks in Coral reef and dolphin area. Have to agree vests really do rub against your chest etc.
Florida113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #19
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Since I'm from the UK and therefore am used to swimming in the cold, cold British ocean waters, and I don't want to wear a vest or wetsuit, and I am a competent swimmer (I used to race), can I just wear my own swimsuit or it a wetsuit/vest compulsary?
Kath2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #20
TaraBelle1069
Walt Disney World is my happy place

Wet suits, vest and sunscreen

Wet suits don't really help you swim so I don't think being a competent swimmer is relevant when asking whether or not you have to wear a suit. I think they want you wear the vests so you can't get to the bottom. Kind of like how they don't give you fins at Typhoon Lagoon. They don't want you going to the bottom to bother the fish who are purposely hiding from you. If their wet suits are especially buoyant, then I would imagine their intention is to keep you at the top and therefore would not likely let you go without. I couldn't find anything in my reservation to confirm that though.

If you are really curious you should try e-mailing them. They are pretty quick to reply to questions. Okay, they answered my question about photographs quickly but not sunscreen. I wanted to buy my own supply of their sunscreen instead of paying a premium there since they provide a "small supply". I e-mailed Panama Jack and they claim it's made exclusively for the park (even though it's called Eco-Guide or something). I'll probably wear the wet suit just to protect half of my body from the sun!!!

Has anyone been who could tell me how much sunscreen they provide and how much it costs to buy more in the park?

Thanks
2 Disney Cruises
1 trip to Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySEA
1 trip to Hong Kong Disneyland
6 Disney half marathons
....and counting!
TaraBelle1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #21
Sue88
DIS Veteran

When I was there it was mandatory to wear a jacket or wetsuit. This way all of us guests were wearing the same gold color and it was easier for the lifeguards to tell a guest from an employee who wear a different color wet suit.
I do recommend the wet suit over the jacket. the air bubbles in the neoprene help you float so you get less tired.
There was numerous guests while I was there discussing how a wet suit keeps you warm. The truth is this - it does keep you warm but it is not instant warmth. When you first get in the cold water you will feel the cold water get into your suit (brrrr.) then your body warms up the thin layer of water that is trapped in your suit against your skin. The warmer water will stay against your skin and the neoprene gives a bit of insulation too. It can make a huge difference in how comfortable you are.

sue88
Sue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:00 AM   #22
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

I emailed them. They said everyone must wear a lifevest or a wet suit because it makes it easier for the lifeguards to see them, not because of the cold.

No problems with doing it if it's compulsary, just wondered whether it was or not. I'll probably go for a short wetsuit because I hate life vests!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:25 AM   #23
Bearvet
DIS Veteran

The life vests are not the typical boating kind. They are a fairly thin foam material and quite comfortable - you may change your mind once you see them. You can also change your mind at any time during the day. We started off in the AM (February) wearing short wet suits and changed to the vests after our dolphin swim.
Bearvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #24
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Maybe but I hate being "held up" in the water by anything other than myself...floatation devices scare me! I know it's weird but I guess I feel "safer" if I think I can get under the water easily and comfortably if I want to
Old 04-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #25
Dislifer
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know the largest sizes they have???? I'm concered!!! I usually wear a size 22 ugh!
Also, we will be going in August....do we still want to get wet suits or will that be too hot??????

TIA
Old 04-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #26
Sue88
DIS Veteran

Don't worry about your size. I saw guests wearing Discovery Cove wetsuits who were definately bigger than a 22. They are prepared for guests of all sizes.

sue88
Sue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #27
Dislifer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue88
Don't worry about your size. I saw guests wearing Discovery Cove wetsuits who were definately bigger than a 22. They are prepared for guests of all sizes.

sue88
That's a relief...but of course I plan to lose sooo much weight between now and then!!!
Thanks!
Old 04-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #28
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislifer
Does anyone know the largest sizes they have???? I'm concered!!! I usually wear a size 22 ugh!
Also, we will be going in August....do we still want to get wet suits or will that be too hot??????

TIA
You won't have any problem at all. I'm about your size and there were several more sized bigger than the one I used. Have a great time.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #29
Dislifer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill
You won't have any problem at all. I'm about your size and there were several more sized bigger than the one I used. Have a great time.
Whew! What a relief!!! Thanks!
Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #30
Hensandchickens
Mouseketeer

Dislifer, see photo below! You'll have no problem fitting into a wet suit! I worried about that too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: