Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Mad4Dizne
DIS Veteran

Need Dis experts...on best time to go to parks...

This will have been our last trip in January (08), this year from 1/13-1/21 the parks were crazy busy.....There was a 200 minute wait (????) on Soarin on the 27th...It was unbelievable. I need some real travel experts out there to tell me any weeks to travel that are slow now???? (I thought January was the slow season???)
You would never ever know there was anything slowing in our economy from the numbers of people there!
I think if we can't find a time that is less busy our Disney travel days may be done. My family really wants to still go, but honestly fighting crowds all day-not my idea of fun. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
TIA!!!
Mad4Dizne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
eventsdj
Mouseketeer

Omgosh!
I can only imagine it was because of MLK weekend, I've heard that is very busy.
Who waits 200 minutes?
That, it obsurd.

Hope you had a great time anyway..
2008 Feb 5-11th - Pop... wonderful time!

October or November 2009.. saving my pennies, literally!
eventsdj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
wildeoscar
DIS Veteran

well cross another holiday weekend off the crowd calendar.
wildeoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
tinkerbee
"Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever." -Walt Disney

I think the only slow time in January any more is maybe the first week after the 3rd when New Years crowds leave. Personally I think the days have having the parks to yourself are gone. Disney does everything it possible can to get people into the parks(why wouldn't they? they are a business.)

They have all the special festivals, Pirate Princess Parties, special pin events at certain times of the year for a reason, to get people in the parks on what use to be slow times of the year.

Of course none of us want to stand in line for 200 minutes but honeslty the shortest line for Soarnin I've seen other than when Epcot first opens has been 50 minutes. Popular rides=long lines. Do your homework, use fastpass and don't let crowds ruin your time.

I'm glad to see they are packing the parks, the more people the more money they get the more new attractions, resorts, and maybe some day new parks they can build for us to enjoy

AKV Nov POP Oct ASMu Sept CSR Jan 2014
March 10Dec, Jan 2009
August March 2008
Dec, Nov, October August, July.
SSR&OKW June 2007
VWL Christmas 2006,POR August 2006
Coronado and OKW May 2005
OKW, POR and VWL January 2004
Fort Wilderness Cabins Easter 2003
OKW and ASMu August 2002
POR Oct 2001 ASMo Jaunuary 2001
Off site 2000, 1989 and 1986
tinkerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
RllngRckBrw
DIS Veteran

I am a big fan of May (with the exception of Memeorial Day weekend. The crowds are managable for us. With the use of a few strategic fastpasses we did not wait longer than 20 min for anything except Fantasmic. We also like this month because it is the lowest month in regards to avg rainfall, and not usually brutally hot either.
RllngRckBrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Mad4Dizne
DIS Veteran

We might just have to give May a try!!

Thanks!!
Mad4Dizne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Remember, Disney isn't solely reliant on our economy. WDW is a great travel value for countries whose currency is stomping all over the dollar right now.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
POB14
Colleen and Mary's BaBa
Feet are, without doubt, the best argument AGAINST intelligent design I can imagine!

Wow . . . it must really vary from week to week. We just got back; did the MK on Wednesday and Thursday, and it was really uncrowded (even though Thursday was an EMH morning). I'll post in Trip Reports in a couple of days when I've recovered.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
DisneyMSF
Mouseketeer

We really like going in October and really don't think the crowds are that bad that time of year. We do always avoid the week of Columbus day, as I think the crowds are worse that week then the rest of October because of the holiday. We don't like waiting in long lines, and this past October, we never waited in line for a ride more than 20 minutes. The "headliners" (like Space Mtn, Splash Mts, Soarin, Everest) usually had a long wait, but we just fastpassed those (or rode them first thing in the morning).

I don't think Disney is ever "empty" anymore, but we have had good luck with October for the past several years. Plus you get the added bonus of the Food & Wine festival and the Halloween Party.
DisneyMSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Mickey's Neighbor
Mouseketeer

Got to say EPCOT was uncrowded today. Soarin' was 50 minutes but everything else was 30 minutes or less, many attractions were walk on. I know the Sunday before MLK Monday it was very crowded at MK but usually early December before the last couple of days before Christmas week and this time in January are pretty good choices, also early February before winter break begins for states other than FL.

Also November before Thanksgiving week is usually a good time at the parks. Every year the less crowded times to vist gets fewer and fewer as people try and take advantage of the times that were good in the past.
Mickey's Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Stittsville
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RllngRckBrw View Post
I am a big fan of May (with the exception of Memeorial Day weekend. The crowds are managable for us. With the use of a few strategic fastpasses we did not wait longer than 20 min for anything except Fantasmic. We also like this month because it is the lowest month in regards to avg rainfall, and not usually brutally hot either.
We were there in May 2007 and I agree with everything you say. It was fantastic. Although we could return this fall, I would rather wait until May 2009 to go (and pay more for it too!).
Stittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

I like the second half of October through the first week or so of November. We were at WDW from 10/27 through 11/4 this past year, and the longest line we encountered all week was 40 minutes at Peter Pan one evening (we didn't wait, since we had done it in the AM with no wait at all). We pretty much walked on to everything else all week- didn't have to use any FPs because of long lines, either. We did, of course, do all the common sense things- got to the parks at rope drop, and didn't queue up for any of the big headliners during the busiest part of the day.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
Aunt Michelle
There is no television in your room

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
Remember, Disney isn't solely reliant on our economy. WDW is a great travel value for countries whose currency is stomping all over the dollar right now.
Yes, with the dollar as it is, and South America in their Summer, and more likely to travel, I can imagine that WDW is seeing an impact on crowd levels.

************************************************** ******************************
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~Lewis Carroll
Aunt Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #14
BabyPiglet
Stop Child Abuse NOW
I'm incredibly obsessive about keeping my fingernails clean
See, I have goals I want

I'm a big fan of late september - october. When we went none of the ride waits were more than 20 minutes. Even Soarin' was only 20 minutes when we went.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: