Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2003, 04:04 PM   #46
pattyT
Registered

Hi Skinnylinny-
I know you asked tmq but I just rad it and wanted to tell you that -
Yes they supply your choice of wetsuit - or just the vest-
and I wanted to tell you not to worry about the snorkeling thing-
We had 6 of us there - and I was the only one who actually snorkeled - you can see the fish clear as day because the water is so crystal clear-and the stingray lagoon (I would not go it past 4 or five steps out of a 'fishphobia') was so shallow you could stand off to the side and see them!
I don' t think DH or kids even went over to the area where you would snorkel - they LOVED the lazy river/pool area!
pattyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:39 PM   #47
skinnylinny
Earning My Ears

dc

patti thanks very much for info, the more Info I get the more I can't wait to book, we are going October 9th seems such a long way of compared to most guys that have replied to me they all seem to be going sooner than later (lucky things) my turn will come though, when would you recomend we book the date we want? thanks again talk again I'm sure regards lynne
skinnylinny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2003, 12:57 PM   #48
pattyT
Registered

You will LOVE it!

WE went this past October and we booked it 8 months in advance. They only allow 1000 people in per day - and I wouldn't take the chance and not get to go (I have friends who couldn't go last minute - then I have read on DIS boards about people going last minute!)
Besides for me - I had an OK from DH and I had to put it on deposit before he could rethink it!
He even said that we will go there again - it was one of our favorite day (and believe it or not - most relaxing day too!) We went in the middle of our vaca and it worked out great to have such and R-n-R day!
pattyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:32 AM   #49
airhead
DIS Veteran

You have all convinced me.....

....Discovery Cove can't be missed! Our trip isn't until 7/04,but its
never too soon to start planning!!
I have a couple of questions,what's the "cabana"? Is this a resort you can stay at?
Do you have to be a good swimmer?
Can you stay there the whole day ?
Has anybody been there the beginning of July?

Just LOVE reading these posts!! Hope to read more !!
THANKS!!!!!

Airhead
airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:44 AM   #50
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

The caban is where you do the trainign film before you have your swim...

Yes, you stay the whole day.. we got there at 830 and left when they closed...

No, the vest keeps you afloat (dont worry about swimming ability)

I went at the end of August and it was wonderful...
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:46 PM   #51
tmq2766
Please stand up before exiting...bye bye

Hi skinnylinny,

Everyone gets a wet suit and depending on what the weather is like you can choose between a vest, a full suit or a suit that is short sleeved and shorts. Actually the day we were there the air temp was only about 65 degrees and raining and believe it or not the wet suit really cuts the cold or we were so excited we didn't feel cold.
One thing to keep in mind is they really get you on pictures and the video at the end of your dolphin encounter. The video is 60.00 and if I remember correctly each 5 x 7 was right around 15.00, believe me it is very hard to resist.
Another nice thing is you do not have to bring anything but your I.D. and credit card. They take your picture at the beginning of the day and put it on a lanyard whenever you want to purchase anything they just scan your I.D and it automatically goes on your credit card. They have thought of everything. They even supply sunscreen that is dolphin safe.

Tina
tmq2766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:28 AM   #52
D&D's Mom
Mouseketeer

About the wetsuits? Are they only for those doing the dolphin swim or can everyone use one? Is the water in other areas cold enough that you would need one? What about size, one person in our group is a women's size 22, will there be something to fit her?
D&D's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #53
tmq2766

The wet suits are for everyone and the come in a wide varietyof sizes. I was very self conscious at first about wearing one but by the end of the day decided that that is all I ever want to wear again.... It hold everything in if you know what I mean.LOL
The water temp in the lazy river is like bath water but the tropical and stingray lagoon is like 70ish and the dolphin lagoon is a little cooler. The day we were there the air temp was only about 65 degrees and my 8 year daughter never complained one time about being cold!!! I think your so amazed that your actually swimming with these awesome creature that you don't even notice the temp.
Make sure you bring an underwater camera for everywhere except the dolphin lagoon you will not regret it. I look at my pictures today and could fool anyone into believing we were somewhere in the caribbean. My daughter and I are booked for the Disney Cruise in October with 5 nights at the Caribbean Beach resort and we are really considering doing Discovery Cove again...... It is worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2003, 10:42 AM   #54
skinnylinny
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up discovery cove

thank you all for the input on discovery cove, I can tell you I have now booked it for October so no going back, I cant wait! I will still read on for any new ideas or insperation thanks again lynne x
skinnylinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:16 PM   #55
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Cool

Hi there, have loved reading all your tips. We are going to book soon to go in April 2004 and are all getting very excited. There are 5 of us and we are all going to do the dolphin swim.

I have three questions - (1) when you say you have to remove all jewellery before the dolphin swim, does that mean wedding rings as well? and (2) I wear glasses, will I be able to wear them or my prescription sunglasses to do the dolphin swim and (3) is there room to wear them under the snorkelling mask?

I look forward to reading your advice!
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 04:03 PM   #56
tmq2766

You are allowed to wear wedding bands, anything else can distract the dolphins when they see the glistening in the water and they think it is something to play with. (This is what they told me) I think it would be difficult to wear them under the mask. The mask fits over your nose and eyes so if your not under water it tends to get fogged.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:01 PM   #57
epicureangirl
Mouseketeer

Question Is a 6-year old too young for the dolphin experience?

Just wondering if the dolphin experience (or stingray) pool is too overwhelming for a 6-year old...

Has anyone out there had a positive/negative experience bringing their young ones here.

I'd hate to spend that kind of money and have my daughter too scared of the fish/stingrays/dolphins. She's a good swimmer, but hasn't had any interactions with sea-life.

Beach Club Villas DVC Owner, Starwood Vacation Club Owner and Castaway Club Member
2011: Vegas, Disney Alaska Cruise, London, Paris, Prague, Tallinn, Helsinki, Reykjavik
2012: Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Disney's Bay Lake Tower, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, Westin Princeville Ocean
epicureangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:03 PM   #58
tmq2766

Hi Epicureangirl,

When we went my daughter had just turned 7 and had the best time.... She is such a dare devil though. She has been going on the Tower of Terror since she was 5.
The thing with the dolphin experience is that they are such gentle creatures that children seem to be drawn to them..... The day that we were there she was just 1 of many many small children and to be very honest I don't think I ever heard any of them crying or throwing a fit about anything. It is paradise what more can I say.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:03 PM   #59
Tandyc
Disney brings out the kid in me!

Closing time?

We are scheduled to go on Saturday May 10th. This is the only day Magic Kingdom is doing FIS. Will we have time to get to MK? I don't want to cut DC short but really want to see FIS.

What do you all think? Is it possible?

Thanks!
Tandyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 10:24 AM   #60
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Hellokitty,

Went to Discovery Cove for the first time in July. Have always wanted to swim with Dolphins and this park certainly did not disappoint. Would love to go in October but since I'm travelling with a non-swimmer, it is unfair to expect them to watch you whilst your enjoying yourself plus cost for non-swimmer is quite high.

Hope you have a great experience.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: