Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #1126
mollay
Princess-in-Training

Hey, I don't know if any of you guys would know, but do the Characters at DL Tokyo speak English, Japanese, or both? And do they usually hire Japanese face characters or do they seek out Anglo people for the sake of looking like the characters? I'm not planning on going to Tokyo anytime soon but I was listening to some music from their park events/parades and I noticed that whenever a character would speak/sing, sometimes it was in English and other times they only spoke Japanese.

Anyone know? :3
Old 04-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #1127
mousefan2322
Earning My Ears

For face characters no japanese is needed, they actually encourage characters not to talk in japanese as people in japan relate disney to america and their characters are supposed to speak english. But, sometimes they don´t even speak english!!!! When I was there, Prince Charming had a very noticeable French accent and his english was very limited.!!!
mousefan2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #1128
bellaDisneydncr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollay View Post
Hey, I don't know if any of you guys would know, but do the Characters at DL Tokyo speak English, Japanese, or both? And do they usually hire Japanese face characters or do they seek out Anglo people for the sake of looking like the characters? I'm not planning on going to Tokyo anytime soon but I was listening to some music from their park events/parades and I noticed that whenever a character would speak/sing, sometimes it was in English and other times they only spoke Japanese.

Anyone know? :3
I know they have a lot of their character auditions for Tokyo and Hong Kong in Australia and here in the States. So I don't think you have to speak Japanese, but they probably give the performers a basic lesson in what they need to know. And if you're living there, you probably do your best to learn the language anyway. I'd love to go see Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. It looks awesome.

Stop by the Fantasyland Forest... I'll tell you some enchanting tales!
bellaDisneydncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #1129
mollay
Princess-in-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaDisneydncr View Post
I know they have a lot of their character auditions for Tokyo and Hong Kong in Australia and here in the States. So I don't think you have to speak Japanese, but they probably give the performers a basic lesson in what they need to know. And if you're living there, you probably do your best to learn the language anyway. I'd love to go see Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. It looks awesome.
WOW I did not know that! Makes me wish I was a better actor (and a more sought-after height) because I would love to be a face character at Tokyo or DS. *__*

Though it kinda stinks for any guests who only speak Japanese if they wanna talk to Cinderella!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #1130
PennyLou
Pluto's Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollay View Post
WOW I did not know that! Makes me wish I was a better actor (and a more sought-after height) because I would love to be a face character at Tokyo or DS. *__*

Though it kinda stinks for any guests who only speak Japanese if they wanna talk to Cinderella!
Not really at least when they come up to us at Disney (we have a pretty big Japanese guest population at WDW) they are just sooo happy and they get the point across, they also know enough english to get by most of the time they start teaching english in early school years in Japan so they can get by and they are just so excited to meet the characters most of the time. They wouldn't want face roles to look Japanese/ speak Japanese in there park because they don't look Japanese in the cartoons and people in Japan are purists when it comes to things like Disney lol (its funny but its sooo true). They are really awesome meet in the parks, cuz they are so happy and excited all the time!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #1131
broadwaybrian318
Earning My Ears

I am new to this board but I auditioned for entertainment in orlando and I actually found out earlier this week that I got it. I am tigger height and move in May 19th. I cant wait i wanted this so much
broadwaybrian318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #1132
mousefan2322
Earning My Ears

congratulations!! what was your audition like? did they pulled you for face?
mousefan2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #1133
r1009t
Mouseketeer

Just an interesting fun fact but the body model that was used for ariel, Sheri Stoyner is 5'2. She also was used for live-action reference for belle. Kind of random, but I thought it was interesting...
r1009t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #1134
PennyLou
Pluto's Pal

you mean for being drawn? Thought Alyssa Milano was used for her but maybe it was just her face, and she was a kid then
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #1135
r1009t
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLou View Post
you mean for being drawn? Thought Alyssa Milano was used for her but maybe it was just her face, and she was a kid then
Yeah but I don't think for her face. I think Alyssa Milano's personality was used as an influence, but not really sure.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #1136
broadwaybrian318
Earning My Ears

Um the audition was good. First we did a basic across the floor routine. Then they made cuts got through that round. then they thought us an animation exercise and then thought us a MUCH more complicated and longer dance. Then they split us up into groups of six by our numbers then had us do the animation exercise straight into the dance then do the animation again then the dance again without stopping. It was kinda intense but fun. I DO have to say this it was not as hard for me cause I am a trained dancer but alot of other people were struggling with it really badly and by ALOT i mean everyone without a decent amount of dancing experience. Then they had us stand in a line ask us where we were from what college we go to and whats our major. Then from my group they pulled two girls for face and that was it. I didnt get pulled for face but hopefully once i get there i will be able to be re-looked at for face at the entertainment-only color codings.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #1137
r1009t
Mouseketeer

Anyone know what Rapunzel's height range is going to be?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #1138
ipodluvr287
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1009t View Post
Anyone know what Rapunzel's height range is going to be?
I don't really know, but if they put her in the parks my guess would be it would be around 5'4. Probably a pretty average height.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #1139
broadwaybrian318
Earning My Ears

from what i heard rapunzel is going to be shorter then most of the princess.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #1140
r1009t
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaybrian318 View Post
from what i heard rapunzel is going to be shorter then most of the princess.
That's intresting I wonder why? I always thought with all the hair she would be taller so the hair didn't overwhelm her...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: