Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #166
daydreamer510
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
I wish I understood why people were measured at different heights - I was measured at 5'7 and a quarter (my real height). I wish someone had some insight on why they go down in inches for some but not others - how do they make that decision?
All the people I've heard of who have been measured down are usually around 5'2 or so, petite, with small body frames, and are measured down to mouse height. Maybe body shape has something to do with it?
daydreamer510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #167
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDancerina View Post
Congrats to everyone who made it through the stages! Too bad they didn't have a part for you guys! Here's to looking for a part, hope you get them!

I, personally, can't wait until I can audition! This should be so fun!
Good luck!!
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #168
Justy
Earning My Ears
 
Justy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 26

Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding the whole Audition in general.

First off, what exactly happens at the Audition? I've read this entire thread and a lot of people have said a lot of different things. Could anyone please give a complete breakdown of the process? Please be specific and give examples (be them from past experience or from what you've heard from others). How long does it take? What roles were you auditioning for? What former acting experience have you had in the past?

I ask only because I really wanna know what I'm getting myself into; as well as the fact that I, myself, have no experience whatsoever (my last performance was in the third grade when I played the part of a Rhino tango'ing with a mango).

Another question in my long list: Do you have to audition to be a Character Attendant? I'm currently a CP in Anaheim and here, you have to audition for the role and it's pretty cut throat (here they are known as Character or Entertainment Host's). Are they as choosy in Orlando as they are here? On the Role Check list it doesn't have it down as being an Auditioned Role, however my interviewer said that I'd still have to attend the Audition to get into the Entertainment Department regardless (I was going anyway, I'd just like to know if I should worry about having that as a fallback or not.).

Another question: I've asked my friends who are in Entertainment Here, specifically Characters, and they've described a much different process. From what I can understand, the process goes much like this:

Pre-Round - Initial Cuts based on height and appearance (if it's a face character only audition)

Round 1 - Character Walk- Basically pick your favorite character and without telling the judges, walk/act as them without using words. Judged based on how well you can get them to figure out who you are. Obvious characters such as Jack Sparrow and the like are frowned upon.

More Cuts

Round 2 - Three Person Group - Three people are given a scene to act out (IE, Captain Hook, Peter Pan, and Wendy Darling, engaged in a scuffle). At random times, they are told to switch characters and pick up where the other left off. Speaking allowed.

More Cuts

Round 3 (Not always takes place from what I understand) - In-Costume portion.

It's also my understanding that there isn't always a dance/movement exercise.


Now, from what I've gathered (Fragmented and second hand though it may be), the Anaheim auditions seem a bit more... intense. Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

My WDW CP Audition's are on the 18th in San Francisco. I'm 6 Foot, and by DLR standards at least, I believe I'm Tigger, Goofy, Sully, Woody, Baloo, Mr. Incredible, Queen of Hearts, and Captain Hook height, as well as Bert and a few Prince height. Some have mentioned Aladdin but I think he's usually a bit shorter. Can anyone vouch for how these translate to WDW? I know there are some variances. For instance, I know that while here Beast is usually very short, in WDW he tends to be a fair bit taller.

So, what's the word?
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:30 AM   #169
SweaterInJune
Your Game Driver & Expert Safari Guide for the next 2 weeks!
 
SweaterInJune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Greater Chicagoland
Posts: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding the whole Audition in general.

First off, what exactly happens at the Audition? I've read this entire thread and a lot of people have said a lot of different things. Could anyone please give a complete breakdown of the process? Please be specific and give examples (be them from past experience or from what you've heard from others). How long does it take? What roles were you auditioning for? What former acting experience have you had in the past?

I ask only because I really wanna know what I'm getting myself into; as well as the fact that I, myself, have no experience whatsoever (my last performance was in the third grade when I played the part of a Rhino tango'ing with a mango).

Another question in my long list: Do you have to audition to be a Character Attendant? I'm currently a CP in Anaheim and here, you have to audition for the role and it's pretty cut throat (here they are known as Character or Entertainment Host's). Are they as choosy in Orlando as they are here? On the Role Check list it doesn't have it down as being an Auditioned Role, however my interviewer said that I'd still have to attend the Audition to get into the Entertainment Department regardless (I was going anyway, I'd just like to know if I should worry about having that as a fallback or not.).

Another question: I've asked my friends who are in Entertainment Here, specifically Characters, and they've described a much different process. From what I can understand, the process goes much like this:

Pre-Round - Initial Cuts based on height and appearance (if it's a face character only audition)

Round 1 - Character Walk- Basically pick your favorite character and without telling the judges, walk/act as them without using words. Judged based on how well you can get them to figure out who you are. Obvious characters such as Jack Sparrow and the like are frowned upon.

More Cuts

Round 2 - Three Person Group - Three people are given a scene to act out (IE, Captain Hook, Peter Pan, and Wendy Darling, engaged in a scuffle). At random times, they are told to switch characters and pick up where the other left off. Speaking allowed.

More Cuts

Round 3 (Not always takes place from what I understand) - In-Costume portion.

It's also my understanding that there isn't always a dance/movement exercise.


Now, from what I've gathered (Fragmented and second hand though it may be), the Anaheim auditions seem a bit more... intense. Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

My WDW CP Audition's are on the 18th in San Francisco. I'm 6 Foot, and by DLR standards at least, I believe I'm Tigger, Goofy, Sully, Woody, Baloo, Mr. Incredible, Queen of Hearts, and Captain Hook height, as well as Bert and a few Prince height. Some have mentioned Aladdin but I think he's usually a bit shorter. Can anyone vouch for how these translate to WDW? I know there are some variances. For instance, I know that while here Beast is usually very short, in WDW he tends to be a fair bit taller.

So, what's the word?
Wow! That's incredibly different than what WDW auditions tend to be!

Typically, the WDW auditions begin with registration, you are measured, grouped, have photos taken, etc.

This is followed by a simple movement/dance exercise. You will learn this in a group and then perform it in smaller groups.

Cuts are made.

Next, there is a more advanced movement piece, improv character movement piece, etc.

Cuts are made, decisions are made, some are asked to go for face auditions.

This is generally how the audition seems to work for WDW, when I auditioned for Spring '03, we began with improv character movement, which I found a better system.

I think I could really shine at the DL auditions...acting/character movement/improv is much stronger for me than learning a dance in 5 minutes. I have a dance background, so I can certainly dance, but I need to step through it all at my own pace to record it to memory.

Thanks for the info!
__________________
Nell
: WDWCP Alum
Spring 2007 ~ Kilimanjaro Safaris
SweaterInJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #170
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding the whole Audition in general.

First off, what exactly happens at the Audition? I've read this entire thread and a lot of people have said a lot of different things. Could anyone please give a complete breakdown of the process? Please be specific and give examples (be them from past experience or from what you've heard from others). How long does it take? What roles were you auditioning for? What former acting experience have you had in the past?

Another question in my long list: Do you have to audition to be a Character Attendant? I'm currently a CP in Anaheim and here, you have to audition for the role and it's pretty cut throat (here they are known as Character or Entertainment Host's). Are they as choosy in Orlando as they are here? On the Role Check list it doesn't have it down as being an Auditioned Role, however my interviewer said that I'd still have to attend the Audition to get into the Entertainment Department regardless (I was going anyway, I'd just like to know if I should worry about having that as a fallback or not.).


My WDW CP Audition's are on the 18th in San Francisco. I'm 6 Foot, and by DLR standards at least, I believe I'm Tigger, Goofy, Sully, Woody, Baloo, Mr. Incredible, Queen of Hearts, and Captain Hook height, as well as Bert and a few Prince height. Some have mentioned Aladdin but I think he's usually a bit shorter. Can anyone vouch for how these translate to WDW? I know there are some variances. For instance, I know that while here Beast is usually very short, in WDW he tends to be a fair bit taller.

So, what's the word?
Auditions are pretty basic. There are 2 parts to it- animation and dance. the animation is pretty much like charades. They have you act something out (for example, making a sandwich). Then there is the dance part. You will be taught a routine, and you perform it in small groups. That's it. There may also people pulled for a puppet part.

At 6 feet, you would be friends with Goofy at WDW.

And no, you don't have to audition for character attendant.
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #171
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding the whole Audition in general...
Just to add to your confusion - the CP auditions vary based on location and how many people show up. In most cases, you'll be done in 2-3 hours.

For example, at Pittsburgh and Orlando they taught an easy dance (2-3 8 counts) then made cuts. Then they learned an intermediate dance (6 8 counts) and did the animation that Joanna mentioned.

However, at all of the other locations up to this point, we started with the intermediate dance. Then some people are pulled for the advance dance. Keep in mind, however, that even if you don't make it to the advance dance you still have a very good chance on making it; the advance is designed to look at people for parades and shows and it's not like the cut mentioned in the example above!

To makes things more complicated, some locations also pull people for face characters. I just looked up your location - they are NOT pulling face at San Fransisco so you won't have that part of the process.

Good Luck!!!
__________________
CHARACTER WEBSITE/PHOTOS:
WDWCharacterHunt UOCharacterHunt On Facebook
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #172
porterella
Earning My Ears
 
porterella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bridge City, Texas
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
To makes things more complicated, some locations also pull people for face characters. I just looked up your location - they are NOT pulling face at San Fransisco so you won't have that part of the process.
How do you know where they are pulling face? Do you know if they are pulling in Austin?


Thanks soo much for the audition tips yall!
My audition is in 2 weeks, and I need all the tips and support I can get.
__________________
02-Coronado Springs (First time)
04-Candlelight Processional -EPCOT
06-All Star Music (Choir Trip)
06-Pop Century (New Year's Eve)
07-Pop Century (Senior Trip)
08-Pop Century
08-Animal Kingdom Lodge

CP Fall 08-Character Attendant

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
-Walt Disney
porterella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #173
jeffwayne12
Happy Haunt
 
jeffwayne12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 37

Although it does not say anything about face on the audition website they may still do it. Disney sometimes does not list everything they are looking for. This is coming from experience at DL when I auditioned for one parade but was thrown into another one in which they never listed at the audition. Also had a friend who tried out for fuzzy characers and was thrown into face (odd) It all depends on who is at the audition and what they are looking for. Just go with an open mind to what they are looking for. Break a leg!
__________________
-Jeff Wayne

Disneyland Cast Member
Making dreams come true..
.


http://jeffwayne12.livejournal.com/
jeffwayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #174
Justy
Earning My Ears
 
Justy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 26

That's how I understood it too. The way my interviewer explained it to me was that it was pretty much an all inclusive audition. You're not auditioning for a specific role, so much as you are auditioning to get into the Entertainment Department.

When she asked what roles I was interested in, I explained that I really wanted to do something in Entertainment, be it Characters, both Fur or Face, or Character Host, or anything else they could do with me. She told me that if I went to the San Fran Audition, they'd put me where they needed me most (Assuming of course I passed the auditions). So I'm pretty sure it's pretty much a Super Audition (For lack of a better term).
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #175
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,797

Not really. I know people who have not auditioned who got Character Attendant.
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #176
sylvesterT21
Mouseketeer
 
sylvesterT21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 97

wow

I am about 6'0" so I would be Tigger height...then I checked my pictures from my last trip to the Magic Kingdom over the summer and I'm exactly the same height as Tigger and only slightly shorter than Goofy.

That was fun!....though I probably will not be in a character role, it's still fun to look at!
sylvesterT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #177
Justy
Earning My Ears
 
Justy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 26

Well if you're the same height as Tigger in the picture, you're probably actually about 2 or 3 inches taller than permissible. The head sort of works like a cap with the head built around it, to better accommodate the CM's head and comfort.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #178
sylvesterT21
Mouseketeer
 
sylvesterT21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Well if you're the same height as Tigger in the picture, you're probably actually about 2 or 3 inches taller than permissible. The head sort of works like a cap with the head built around it, to better accommodate the CM's head and comfort.
thanks for sharing that....i always wondered how the head wouldn't be too heavy...and i was looking at shoulders since Tigger doesn't have a well defined neck

also, another thing I was just thinking about.... how do fur character CMs deal with how hot it is when they're standing outside for so long with kids (and adults) lining up to see them?
sylvesterT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #179
Justy
Earning My Ears
 
Justy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 26

I know that at the DLR at least, it's all done in half hour sets. Half hour set, then a half hour back stage. Depending on the time of your shift, you'll also be back stage during Parades and Fireworks too. Again, I'm not sure how any of this information translates to WDW though.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #180
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterella View Post
How do you know where they are pulling face? Do you know if they are pulling in Austin?
They are ALWAYS looking for face, but only certain auditions will have cosmetology at the actual location.

From what I can see on the website, Austin WILL have cosmetology, San Fransisco will NOT.

If you are at a location where they are not pulling face, the casting director will mark something on your audition sheet to signify that you have the potential for face. You will not know if it was marked for you until you check-in at Florida and then "SURPRISE," they'll fit you once you start training.

You can tell on DisneyAuditions.com:

San Fransisco only says:
"Walt Disney Entertainment is seeking energetic male and female Disney Character and Parade Performers for shows and parades across the Walt Disney World ® Resort."

Whereas Austin says:
"Walt Disney Entertainment is seeking energetic male and female Disney Character and Parade Performers for shows and parades across the Walt Disney World ® Resort.

Are you a Princess? Additionally, Walt Disney Entertainment is seeking Disney Princess Look-alikes. Performers develop improvisational skills, poise and grace while working for one of the world's leading entertainment companies."
__________________
CHARACTER WEBSITE/PHOTOS:
WDWCharacterHunt UOCharacterHunt On Facebook

Last edited by Berlioz70; 04-11-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: