Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
lklasing
When being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

Proof of parental permission to travel with someone else's child

My extended family is finally getting its plans together on who is and is not going to WDW in May. It now looks like my nephew (5) will be flying down with my daughters and me. We do not have the same last name. I've never had any trouble getting my girls through security, but we all have the same last name. I am wondering whether I need to bring anything extra for my nephew - written permission from his parents for me to transport him or anything else - to be able to fly with him. Does anyone know anything about this or have experience with this type situation?

Thanks so much!

Leslie
WDW Trips: Several as a child with parents and grandparents; June 2003-FW; May 2005-Poly GVC; May 2007-Poly GVC (trip report); May 2008-Fun at FW cabins (trip report); November 2008-Fun at the Fort-Thanksgiving Style (trip report); September 2009-Back to the Fort-Labor Day (trip report); March 2010-Spring Break-lots of pics and FPs (trip report); May 2011-BLT; March 2012 - FW Cabins; August 2012 - DCL Dream!
lklasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
#1Disfann

Mouseketeer

You do not need anything additional as long as you are traveling in the U.S. If you fly in or out of another country then you do need additional paperwork. For the past 2 years we have taken 2 different friends of my
DD15's and they did not have to show anything and no questions were asked. You should be fine but may want to call the airline just to make sure. Lori

ETA: I did have notorized permission to seek medical attention if necessary as well as copies of insurance cards, etc.

Last edited by #1Disfann; 01-20-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: More info
#1Disfann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

I agree--- under 18 and not a lap baby and you don't need permission or information or a release or anything regardless of their last name or yours.

Liz
Traveliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
lklasing
When being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

Thanks, guys. I was planning on getting a medical authorization and insurance cards, but wondered about the security line issue.

Thanks again!

Leslie
WDW Trips: Several as a child with parents and grandparents; June 2003-FW; May 2005-Poly GVC; May 2007-Poly GVC (trip report); May 2008-Fun at FW cabins (trip report); November 2008-Fun at the Fort-Thanksgiving Style (trip report); September 2009-Back to the Fort-Labor Day (trip report); March 2010-Spring Break-lots of pics and FPs (trip report); May 2011-BLT; March 2012 - FW Cabins; August 2012 - DCL Dream!
lklasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
leanne11
Always remember to use the net to store your loose items on the MIB ride

yes, i agree w/others i take my niece every yr and names are not the same, in this day with blended families it is common,, my only warning
one time the airline picked our seats for us, and because she was a different name they put her far away, by herself so we straightened it out early,...

NEW PRINCE --SEPT /09
leanne11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
snowbunny
DIS Veteran

Yes I have flown with my DD and a friend of hers; I took a signed letter from her parents stating that she was traveling with me (full name) with their permission and including their address and telephone numbers. The child's mother is an attorney and it was her suggestion to do that. It is just an extra precaution even if the child is a relative.

Last year my DD and I drove to Canada and the customs officer going into Quebec acted like he was not going to let me into the country because I did not have written permission from my DH to take her out of U.S. Both her passport and mine have the same address and we live with my DH (her father) so there are no custodial issues. I was shocked - it seemed like he just felt like giving me a hard time.

So IMO even though you may not be "required" to have explanatory paperwork, I would take it anyway just in case.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
vacation dreamer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklasing View Post
My extended family is finally getting its plans together on who is and is not going to WDW in May. It now looks like my nephew (5) will be flying down with my daughters and me. We do not have the same last name. I've never had any trouble getting my girls through security, but we all have the same last name. I am wondering whether I need to bring anything extra for my nephew - written permission from his parents for me to transport him or anything else - to be able to fly with him. Does anyone know anything about this or have experience with this type situation?

Thanks so much!

Leslie
you do not need anything but when we take someone elses child with us, relative or friend we always have a note stating that we can take them to another state and get them medical attention if needed.

2/1998- All-Star Sports w/ friends
2/2000- All-Star Movies
9/2001- All-Star Music...Moms only
1/2004- Pop Century
4/2005- Port Orleans Riverside...Mom and Dad only
1/2006- Pop Century w/ friends
11/2006- Off-Site house w/ friends...never again
1/2007- All-Star Movies w/ friends
1/2008- US/IOA w/ friends & party
1/2009- off-site
2009- US/IOA Harry Potter
vacation dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
disgram
DIS Veteran

I have been taking my granddaughters to Disney for the past four years and have never had a problem. I, too, have a permission slip for medical treatment but the girls also carry their school ID and that has all the information on it as I sometimes pick them up from school. We have never had to use it, though.
disgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
CarolA

Hasn't been overlooked by the Tag Fairy

Remember the rules are different for international travel. As one poster pointed there are even issues if you and your spouse aren't traveling together with the child. This is to prevent "spousal" and other kidnappings.

Also, never travel with an unrelated child (or one you aren't the legal guradian of) ANYWHERE without parental permission to authorize medical treatment. Trust me ERs will only stablaize without that permission and it can make things worse while they wait....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: