Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
kaw1218
Mr. Clean, scrub me all over with your Magic Eraser!
and you thought the Tag Fairy didn't like donators
Hey, I needed a place to put the ping pong balls

Planet Fitness Gym Membership

Does anyone have a membership here? Is it a nice place to workout?

They just opened a new branch, and I've never even heard of them.

I'm thinking of joining since they are open 24hrs during the week. They are less than 2 minutes from my work, so I will be able to go on my lunch break.
kaw1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
donald...really
Gotta watch out for closed minded Winnie the Pooh fans...

We are members of Planet Fitness. My husband is there as I type this. I am not sure if all of the locations are the same, but the one near our house is very clean and well staffed, but is is a no-frills place to work out (no showers, no group excercise classes, just free weights, nautilus type machines, cardio machines, tanning beds...). You can't beat the price, VERY affordable.

Our boys, Weasley and Fester (as puppies then all grown up)
donald...really is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
ctinct
DIS Veteran

I have been a member for about 4 months. I agree; no frills, but can't beat the cost. Ours does have showers, but I have never seen anyone using them---maybe early in the am prior to work. The biggest plus for me, and it sounds like it will be for you too, is that is quite close. I wish mine were open 24 hours, though.
ctinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
kaw1218

Thanks! I can handle no frills. I work overnights...so my 'lunch' break is 2am.

And it's the cost that has me really considered signing up tomorrow!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Fantasmic303
Is interested in a Disney Career...but will have to work her way up like the Tag Fairy!! ;)
Pour some sugar on me
Well, put some CLOTHES on then!!

I've been a member for about three years, and I go pretty much 5 days a week religiously. True, no frills, but it has what I need at this level of working out. Ours does have showers that are kept clean, they offer tanning, and they just added a "circuit training" area (the 30-minute workout - I haven't used it yet, but I'm tempted to learn how to use all the machines). I wish there were group classes, but of course I couldn't expect to pay $10 a month if they offered that. Overall I'm happy with it and would recommend it. The staff and trainers are friendly and helpful, though they generally leave you alone unless you ask for help. Plus none of them has ever mentioned the horrible wipeout on the treadmill I had over Labor Day weekend (of which I have scars - both emotional and actual), which I think is pretty nice, considering I'm positive there's video and it was a really awful wipeout.

Fantasmic303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
kaw1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmic303 View Post
I've been a member for about three years, and I go pretty much 5 days a week religiously. True, no frills, but it has what I need at this level of working out. Ours does have showers that are kept clean, they offer tanning, and they just added a "circuit training" area (the 30-minute workout - I haven't used it yet, but I'm tempted to learn how to use all the machines). I wish there were group classes, but of course I couldn't expect to pay $10 a month if they offered that. Overall I'm happy with it and would recommend it. The staff and trainers are friendly and helpful, though they generally leave you alone unless you ask for help. Plus none of them has ever mentioned the horrible wipeout on the treadmill I had over Labor Day weekend (of which I have scars - both emotional and actual), which I think is pretty nice, considering I'm positive there's video and it was a really awful wipeout.
Glad to hear your fine.......but.....I wonder if it's on youtube

Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
Mady/Sophiemom
Needing to clean, makes me feel sick

DH is joining this week. People I have talked with recommend it. Like others have said--NO frills, but who cares, as long as the machines are taken care of, and the place isn't filthy.

I have heard that the tanning beds, are gross, and not kept up. Not worth the additional cost.
Mady/Sophiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
kaw1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mady/Sophiemom View Post
DH is joining this week. People I have talked with recommend it. Like others have said--NO frills, but who cares, as long as the machines are taken care of, and the place isn't filthy.

I have heard that the tanning beds, are gross, and not kept up. Not worth the additional cost.
The added $10 also gives unlimited guest priviledges. No where on their flyer or website does it state what that is.

Does that mean every time I go I can bring someone?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

I actually just cancelled my Planet Fitness membership last week with the intention of joining LA Fitness over the weekend. We recently had an LA Fitness open about 2 miles from my home in Florida (bike riding distance!!) so just yesterday, I went in and joined there. Nothing against Planet Fitness, I always loved being a member there, as it was aways clean and had a very courteous staff (never experienced the tanning beds ). It just isn't as convenient as the new LA Fitness. As so many here have said, it's definitely no frills. I was only paying $18.00 per month on a month to month membership, which is hard to beat. I'm now paying $30.00/month at LA Fitness (still compared to my $89.00/month at NYSC, it's a steal!) and I get a full sized basketball court, tons of classes from spin to yoga, a 4 lane lap pool and a huge brand spanking new facility, about 4 times the size of our old Planet Fitness, all included in the price of membership. All that being said, if it wasn't for the new club, I'd still happily be a member at Planet Fitness
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Mady/Sophiemom
Needing to clean, makes me feel sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw1218 View Post
The added $10 also gives unlimited guest priviledges. No where on their flyer or website does it state what that is.

Does that mean every time I go I can bring someone?
Not sure about the guest membership. We might have to ask. I was just told not to pay the extra for the tanning.

Have you asked about the $39 fee billed in June? It is only $20 w/ the lower membership?? I'm confused?
Mady/Sophiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
kaw1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh O. Grams View Post
I actually just cancelled my Planet Fitness membership last week with the intention of joining LA Fitness over the weekend. We recently had an LA Fitness open about 2 miles from my home in Florida (bike riding distance!!) so just yesterday, I went in and joined there. Nothing against Planet Fitness, I always loved being a member there, as it was aways clean and had a very courteous staff (never experienced the tanning beds ). It just isn't as convenient as the new LA Fitness. As so many here have said, it's definitely no frills. I was only paying $18.00 per month on a month to month membership, which is hard to beat. I'm now paying $30.00/month at LA Fitness (still compared to my $89.00/month at NYSC, it's a steal!) and I get a full sized basketball court, tons of classes from spin to yoga, a 4 lane lap pool and a huge brand spanking new facility, about 4 times the size of our old Planet Fitness, all included in the price of membership. All that being said, if it wasn't for the new club, I'd still happily be a member at Planet Fitness
I can get LA Fitness through my job, for about $22 a month. It's the hours I'm really liking at Planet Fitness.

Thanks everyone for your input!! I am going there one night this week to sign up!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
kaw1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mady/Sophiemom View Post
Not sure about the guest membership. We might have to ask. I was just told not to pay the extra for the tanning.
Right now ours is offering 2 different plans.

the 19.99 a month one includes

PF Black™ Card Benefits
Free reciprocal use of all Planet Fitness® Franchise Locations
Unlimited Use of Massage Chairs
Unlimited Guest Privileges
Unlimited Tanning
1/2 Price Cooler Drinks
PF Black™ Card Key Tag
New PF Black™ Card T-shirt

And then the $10 a month one is the basic.

The $10 plan also has a $59 startup fee.
The $19.99 has none.

So....really in the year contract...the one is $15 a month......

this really shouldn't be this difficult.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw1218 View Post
I can get LA Fitness through my job, for about $22 a month. It's the hours I'm really liking at Planet Fitness.

Thanks everyone for your input!! I am going there one night this week to sign up!
Our Planet Fitness has the exact same hours as our LA Fitness, 5 am-11pm Monday-Friday and 8am-10pm Sat & Sunday. I'm sure they differ depending on location. FTR, I'm one of the 5am freaks! $22/month is awesome though...
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
kaw1218

hmmm...our LA Fitness has pretty good hours, but I wouldn't be able to go during my lunch break.

Mon - Thu 4:30am - Midnight
Fri 4:30am - 10:00pm
Sat - Sun 7:00am - 8:00pm
Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #15
1Prince2Princesses
Please don't jump on the bed with pickles in your mouth
I personally think it would be hilarious to chuck a chicken into the shower
Why hello, my little snugglemuffin

We have the black card membership. You can indeed take someone with you on each visit. It's worth it for us because my dh will never take a drink with him... he uses the 1/2 price drinks every time he goes.

The only thing I hate about Planet Fitness is that our branch has crappy hours. It actually closes at 6 one night, and at 7 another. If it were open 24 hours like yours is, or had a daycare option, we would use it a lot more. It sounds like it would work out (pardon the pun) perfectly for you.
1Prince2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: