Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Hey Barely Jack,
You are off to a great start on the report. I am enjoying it! I gotta agree that Mission Space is one fantastic ride. Kudos for taking the orange route your first time out (we were there on passholder previes way back when so it was the only option when we started ) Alas my age is cathing up with me and I feel the after effects too long to ride the "real" side any longer. DD11, on the otehr hand, will happily ride it over and over and . . .

I am glad to hear a bit about Boatwrightes as we are considering dining there in September.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #17
BarleyJack
And a pirin tablet? Why? Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness?

You guys are the best, thanks so much for keeping reading and for the kind words. I'll do the best I can on this installment, but I'm fighting the flu bug so bear with me

Day 3, Sunday Jan 20

So after our thorough soaking at Epcot the previous night we slept in. Well, Steve slept in I should say. I'm an early riser by nature and almost always woke up before the wake up call LOL. We had planned on going to MK this day, and had ressies at LTT for dinner that night.

After a bit of a late start, we headed to the classic park:

I just love this sign; to me it says "Vacation!"

Steve's family had a tradition of getting pix of the train station and mickey flower head for each trip so he grabbed a few shots. Here's one:

So what can I say about the MK that hasn't already been said? Its absolutely beautiful and just LOADS of fun. Waits were pretty long, but it was the Sunday before MLK day as well as a PM EMH night. Despite Tour Guide Mikes warnings we went. Heck, we were there for 9 days and figured we'd have enough time to see what we wanted to see. This was a vacation, not a commando mission. But I digress.

Here's a couple more pics I took that day:

I had no idea there was a gift shop in there! I don't recall ever having seen it open before, so we wandered in. Great stop if you have a firefighter in your family.

I really like this pic, just think it looks neat with moon rising next to the castle:

I HAD to try a dole whip float; the way everyone here raves about them you'd think its the legal form of crack! So I tried one, and Steve had the traditional whip:

I must say it was tres tasty! I imaging on a hot summer day this is totally refreshing. Its been added to the list for next trip

We wandered aimlesslessly around the park and enjoyed some attractions. The Tiki birds was a cute show, Haunted Mansion rocks as always, and the Jungle Cruise was so fun! Neither of us had been on it before; lines were too long on past trips and parents wanted to skip it! We got fastpasses this time and sure am glad we did. Our tour guide was Chris and he was Hilarious! Good times....

We had lunch at Columbia Harbor House. I wanted to try this place after hearing so many good things about it on this board. We were not disappointed! Steve told me what he wanted and went upstairs to snag a table while I ordered. We had this:

Steve had the sandwich, I had the soup and sandwich combo. Both were delicious! My soup was suppose to come with the Anchors Aweigh (tuna) but they messed up and I ended up with same as Steve, the Starboard Deck. I wasn't about to fight the lines again for some tuna salad. It was good tho, so I was happy. We both really enjoyed this place and will surely return!

We saw Captain Jack:

And a possible Hidden Mickey. Steve spotted this one in the rocks in adventureland...can anyone verify?

So we head to LTT for dinner. We were both excited about this one, our first Disney Dinner table service EVER. Our server was Craig, he was super! (and cute, as evil queen pointed out in another thread ) They called out our name in the lobby...."Now seating the M*** party from the great state of Tennessee!" Cute. The food was gut busting! Nothing 5 star or anything, but on a chilly day it was great comfort food! I know the MK doesn't serve alcohol, but I think it strange to name a place a Tavern and not at least have beer! Anyway....it was a great meal and the characters were fantastic! We saw Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Chip and Dale. Chip and Dale are my faves, just love em. Steve loves Goofy.

So it was EMH this night from 11-2. After dinner we wandered discussing what to do. Wandered into Tomorrowland and checked out the Carousel of Progress. Neat ride except for one thing. It broke down while we were on it. Everything started as planned: no wait, right in, song starts. "Theres a great big beautiful tomorrow..." and so on. So were spinning through the decades and we get to the last scene. As we enter the future with the voice activiated christmas tree and oven, the carousel jerks to a halt a little over 3/4 of the way around. During the scene we can hear and partially see part of the scene we just left. A voice comes on "Ladies and Gentlemen, blah blah blah have to repeat the scene you just saw blah blah blah". Yikes. No big deal really, this is a neat attraction. I just wish we could've sat through ANY scene other than the one we did. Grandma playing video games is just weird to me.

So we exit the ride and they are passing out EMH wristbands. We figure, what the heck, we're on vacation. Prior to this I can't tell you the last time I was up past 11. Glad we stayed tho. In two hours we rode: SM twice, BTMRR twice, POTC, TTA, Winnie the Pooh, Teacups, Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight, Stitch's Great Escape, and Buzz Lightyear. We did more in EMH that we had done all day. Yeah, we were tired but had a blast! There were literally NO lines.

It was a great day, but we were exhausted. Later we saw what I think was the "Kiss goodnight" mini show at the castle. On our way out I snapped this:

Well I guess that's it for now. Time to take some more medicine and try and get some rest. Hope you all enjoy!
1990-Disneyland, offsite
2008 (jan)-WDW, POP/POR split stay
2009 (september)-WDW CBR -Food and Wine/Halloween
2009 (september)-WDW Poly=Food and Wine/Halloween
2010-Carnival Legend
2011-Carnival Glory
2012: Long weekend in NYC, Labor Day in Las Vegas
2013: Art of Animation Cars Suite

We've been Boo'd by the food review Queen!

Last edited by BarleyJack; 02-03-2008 at 05:58 PM.
BarleyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #18
MAF
DIS Veteran

Cute!
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #19
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Hope your feeling better!

I'm loving the trip report!

Keep it up!
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #20
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

I love your pics and the TR!!! I am really wanting to go back NOW!
We all loved soarin too. lots of fun!
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #21
RockinDisney
Mouseketeer

Hope you are feeling better!! I really like the pic of the castle at night. And WOW I guess the EMH is worth staying for!!!!

20 before 2008
Trip 2/1 2008-2/3 2008
Sept 29 2008- Oct 3 2008
May 8-14 2009
Dec27-31 2009
March 15 2010 *that's right I am heading to WDW*
Can I do Disney in One Day? Well No but...
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.-Michael Jordan
RockinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #22
TuckandStuiesMom
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
I'm back to wearin' my babushka, and takin' the slow boat to Elbonia

1.) Hope you're feeling better
2.) This continues to be a GREAT TR -- Luv the pics!
3.) Even the faux Captain Jack is cute -- Ay Carumba!!!!!

Last edited by TuckandStuiesMom; 02-02-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Random letters from space mysteriously appeared...
TuckandStuiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #23
ss9498
Earning My Ears

Great report. I hope you feel better soon.

Running the Disney Princess Half Marathon in 2011
ss9498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #24
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Enjoying your latest installment and sending some virtual chicken soup your way.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #25
BarleyJack

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm starting to feel some better finally, just in time to go back to work tomorrow...blah

Day 4, MLK Day, Jan 21 I think this was the day that killed by feet. Despite staying out for EMH the night before, for some reason we still got upl early and went to MGM, errr DHS for rope drop. Needless to say I was a bit cranky this am. Just aske the lady who cut be off at the security bag check. She felt she needed to enter the park 3 seconds before I did and thusly plopped her bag down on the table in front of mine. I said to her, "Oh, I didn't realized you were a VIP, by all means please go ahead!" She gave me kind of a nasty look but the security guard chuckled. Like I said, I was cranky.
Here's a pic:

Anyway......we enter the park and I"m thinking, Good Lord its crowded. Then I realized it was a rope drop opening ceremony. We'd never seen one before. It was pretty cool actually, helped lighten my mood, despite the mean lady, early morning, and this crowd:

This was our first time to this park, and all we really knew about it was that it was about movies, and we had to ride ToT and RnR as priorities. Having never been here, I knew we had to go to the right after rope drop, beyond that there was no plan LOL.

Lights! Camera! Action! Hollywood here we come! And they're off. It was like a 75% off sale at a toy store the day after thanksgiving. Everyone booked it.....booked it to the right of course lol. Still, we found where we going without problems. We got fastpasses first for ToT and then got in line for it. I was thinking we'd ride it more than once. The wait was about 15 minutes. I snapped a few pics on the way:

As far as the ride itself goes, holy crap! I knew it would be amazing, but I totally didn't expect to be so shaken by it! I'm a thrill ride junkie after all, right? Well, I screamed like a girl (no offense the girls of course). Generally on rollercoasters etc, I will scream and yell, but out of fun. This ride genuinely scared me and I didn't expect it to. When we got off we had to sit. I was shaking. Gosh what a rush.

Needless to say we opted to not use our FPs for a second ride this day and gave them to a couple in line at the FP machines. They were so grateful, little did they know. Anyway.

After a brief break to recover we went on:

This is a great roller coaster! No, its not the fastest or has the most inversions of any ride we've been on, but it is way fun!

After the roller coaster we just wandered really, trying to figure out how this park was laid out. Its completely different from the other parks and took some getting use to really. We went on the great movie ride (cute) and sounds dangerous (yawn). I think lack of sleep was really affecting us, neither of use really wanted to be at this park. We decided to eat and head back to MK. In retrospect we should have headed back to MK and THEN eaten. Hindsight is 20/20.

We ate at the ABC Commissary. Daniel took our order, he was a riot. Steve had the Lost fish and chips, and I had the Ugly Betty burger. Does abc know they have named crappy food after their best 2 shows? Yikes! This is what they looked like:

Steve said the fish was actually OK.

That's what was left of my burger. It wasn't really very good. No worries tho, we here having dinner at Hoop Dee Doo later tonight, and that was bound to be fantastic, right? (actually it was great).

So on this happy note we leave DHS and head back to MK. I wasn't really paying too much attention to the time but we arrived on Main Street just before 3! Lo and behold that's parade time! We find a spot just on the entrance side of Casey's to watch without an obstructed view! Whoohooo! At least, until this girl showed up:

The poor man sitting on the curb in front of me kept getting smacked in the head by her bag as she reached her arms out in front of me as I tried to take pics. Finally I said to her, "Excuse Me!" and she backed off for a bit. Then she leaned in one more time and kneed the man in the back and he looked at her and said "No! Move back!" she apologized and muttered something in what sounded like Portuguese and left. Whew!

We got some cool parade pics tho!

Am I the only one who thinks Peter Pan looks like Clay Aiken? But I digress...

So after the parade we head into the Adventureland/Frontierland area. We had done everything that was a must do at EMH so we were in no hurry. I took a couple of pics the work being done at Splash, here's one:

I wished it was open, but there's always next time!

So we head to the exit and ride the boat to the Wilderness Lodge. We were early for our HDDR but had always wanted to this resort so we thought we'd stop on the way. It is gorgeous. Someday maybe we'll get to stay there. From there we take a bus to Fort Wilderness for the dinner show. I hop on one of the foot massager barrels, but it just ate my money. Oh well. Dogs will have to keep barkin' I guess!

Standing in line to get in there was a family behind us who sounded like they did little to no planning for this trip. They sounded like the Sopranos: Him: "Why did youse choose this? Like I want some friggin cornbread and ice tea!" Her: "I thought the kids might like it, they'll be too old to appreciate it soon". Him: "The kids? What about me? This is one of them country ho down things, right? Her: "They have chicken and ribs, you like ribs". Him "They have ribs? Why did you order me the chicken, you said you ordered the chicken dish" Her: "I didn't order you chicken. You don't listen, just shut up". I was trying not to laugh. We ran into a similar situation of poor planning at AK, but we'll get to that later.

If you haven't seen the HDDR, you have to go! It was a wonderful time. We were on the DDP and so were in Category 2 seating, but we had an awesome seat! We were on the second floor right in front of the sound/light booth. The view was perfect. Yeah we were as far from the stage as you can get but its a small theatre so that didn't matter. Our server was a bit odd, very over the top and kind of plastic-y if that makes any sense, but he was attentive.

Here are some pics:

If you haven't seen the HDDR I highly suggest it! We had so much fun and the food was pretty good actually. As far as cost goes, just remember that you are paying more for the show than the food, and the show is worth it (not to mention the included alcohol, we had a pitcher of sangria !)

Back to POR via bus (they were waiting as we exited Pioneer Hall) for a good night's sleep. We had to sleep in tomorrow, and sleep in we did!

Thanks for reading, seey'all next time....
1990-Disneyland, offsite
2010-Carnival Legend
2011-Carnival Glory

Last edited by BarleyJack; 02-03-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 02-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #26
OrlandoMike

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

All the servers at the HDDR are a bit odd.....

CopncK, care to explain......

Great TR!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #27
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMike View Post
All the servers at the HDDR are a bit odd.....

CopncK, care to explain......

Great TR!
Like the person who introduces themselves with their name forward and backwards drives a car that looks like it is being held together with UFO society bumper stickers...
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #28
BarleyJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcKahuna View Post
Like the person who introduces themselves with their name forward and backwards drives a car that looks like it is being held together with UFO society bumper stickers...
I think our server's name was Richard if memory serves me correctly. I don't remember him referring to himself as Drahcir, but honestly it wouldn't have surprised me
1990-Disneyland, offsite
2010-Carnival Legend
2011-Carnival Glory

Old 02-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #29
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyJack View Post
I think our server's name was Richard if memory serves me correctly. I don't remember him referring to himself as Drahcir, but honestly it wouldn't have surprised me
Nope, the one I have in mind has a three-letter name, and backwards it sounds like someone who isn't interesting, or one of Pumbaa's cousins...
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #30
OrlandoMike

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Lets just put it this way.....

Roy Disney hired most of them!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: