Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2002, 11:59 AM   #1
myjeep93
Earning My Ears

Did I make a Mistake?

I reserved late seating for 4/20 Magic cruise. Traveling with DH and DD, age 10. After reading boards, I wonder if I should try and switch to early dining. The more I read, the more confused I get about which time would be best. DD is pretty easygoing at home, not sure if this will change after all the activity on the cruise. I know every family is different, but did I make the wrong choice? If I decide to change and can't, will it really make a difference? Someone, please ease my mind. I'm driving husband crazy!:
myjeep93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:13 PM   #2
wovenwonder
DIS Veteran

Hi Fellow Cruiser!

We will also have late seating. In the past we dined early - and felt very rushed. Your daughter will be old enough to adjust. She will be able to enjoy more afternoon fun at the clubs and the pools.

Be sure to stop and check out 'our thread'. It looks like we have close to 60 in our group now! Some kids near your daughters age too. Email me with your first name info if you'd like me to add it to our list. And be sure to watch for the weekly 'get to know' you questions. I am looking forward to meeting everyone on board the ship -- it sounds like we are going to have a fun group! I'd be happy to add email addresses to the thread also if you'd like - this way others with children near in age can get in contact with each other ahead of time.

See you on the 4/20 thread!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2002, 01:06 PM   #3
mom2grace
DIS Veteran

You made the right decision!! By having late seating, you have bought yourself extra "day time" and you will have time to enjoy the "All Hands on Deck" cheese and crackers plate from room service while you get ready for the show and dinner!! If you like good cheese, make sure you order this the first day and then do as I did, order it EVERY DAY!!

Susan
mom2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:13 PM   #4
DisneyKids
Disney Fans Forever!

I totallu agree. We have dined late with our kids both times we cruised. They were 2 & 5 one time and 5 & 9 the other. They did fine on both. We requested late for our October cruise. Enjoy!
DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:17 PM   #5
mpaone
Earning My Ears

On our first cruise this past October we had the early dinner seating. We werent even hungry when we sat down because we usually had an afternoon snack. The next time we go we are definitely choosing the late seating this way we wont feel rushed and maybe we will be more hungry!!!
mpaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:20 PM   #6
DisneyKids
Disney Fans Forever!

We always request the late seating. Our kids (2 & 5 one cuise, 5 &9 the other) always adjusted and did fine. We like the less pressure at the end of the day and found that we weren't always hungry at 6:30 since they feed you so well. As long as your DD is easy going, as you say, I think you'll be fine. Have fun!
DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:10 PM   #7
IrishCowboy
DIS Veteran

We had late seating on our first cruise and early seating on our second cruise. We always felt rushed to finish activities in the afternoon or to return to the ship when on St Maarten when we had early seating.

We found that we prefer the late seating and have requested it for our next cruise. We also noticed that dinner isn't as rushed with the late seating as the early seating. Plus, you get to sleep in a little bit later on character breakfast day and disembarkment day.

Relax and have a great time!
IrishCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:12 PM   #8
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

We had late seating in January and will do it again in October. DD7 had no problem eating that late. She usually had ice cream or pizza around 4:00 everyday anyway. I thought she would have wanted to stay in the clubs more but she loved going to the dining rooms. We got along great with our table mates and our servers were great with the kids.

Late seating enabled us the go to the early show then get ready for dinner after the show.
SC Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:01 PM   #9
TartanFan
DIS Veteran

Another thumbs up for late seating! We had late on our first cruise and it worked out great for us and DD (7 at the time). On our second (DD was then 8) we had early seating and was still fine but we did feel a little rushed for getting ready. On our third in Aug we've requested late coz I feel it worked better, but DD's now 10 and who knows what she'll want to do (one minute she's Cinderalla, next she's Britney Spears! LOL!!!!!!!)
TartanFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:04 PM   #10
EVee
Earning My Ears

Now you all have me wondering if I made a mistake requesting early seating. I wonder if it is too late to change. It doesn't hurt to try. If you have late seating, don't you go to the shows first? Do you then have enough time to get ready for dinner? Decisions, decisions!
EVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:18 PM   #11
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

EVee - The early shows are at 6:30 and last about an hour so you have an hour to get ready for dinner at 8:30.
SC Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 09:12 PM   #12
disneyvacationmom
Can I force you to take me with you?
Had an "It's a Small World" experience at WDW

We loved the late seating. We never felt rushed and enjoyed taking our time after dinner having tea and dessert.
disneyvacationmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 12:13 PM   #13
myjeep93
Earning My Ears

thanks to all of you for the input. I feel MUCH better! Just one ? Can we go to the shows in shorts and then change to dinner clothes after the show?
myjeep93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:11 PM   #14
Dave_from_Marietta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by myjeep93

Can we go to the shows in shorts and then change to dinner clothes after the show?
Yes.
Dave_from_Marietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 07:48 PM   #15
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

And yet, we enjoyed the early seating, strolling leisurely for a bit after dinner, then going to the later show. Afterwards, our DD7 was ready to play at the Oceaneer Club for an hour or so and DH and I had a nightcap at the piano bar, stopped in the nightclub, or took a lovely walk on Deck 4.

It also kept us from eating too much - if we had to have lunch, then a snack, then dinner at 8:30! DD7 would never have lasted until 8:30 without eating! (neither would I!) We were usually quite content after dinner, therefore we didn't need to partake in the show snacks and smoothies!

I guess either seating has its pros and cons! Whichever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience!!

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: