Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #286
joelp
DIS Veteran

Guess what? It's snowing out there!!!

Which of course is a perfect segueway to "Hooray for Hollywood"!!

Day 5 – Dec 10: “Danielle’s Pin Trading Passion”

After our late night at the MVMCP, we also slept in this morning – but not toooo late (I think we were up by 7-or-so … that’s a.m.!). The plan was to hang out and enjoy the AKL some more, and then head over to Disney Hollywood Studios at some point during the day. This would be an early night, because there was a “private cheerleaders party” at DHS, and we would be “kicked out” of the park at 7:00 pm.

And because we didn’t have any firm plans or “must-see” attractions, it would also turn out to be a relaxing and fun day touring the DHS.

As you may recall, I had promised Danielle that I would take her swimming this morning – not one of my brightest moves, I might add. So after breakfast at The Mara, when the air temperature had seemingly passed the 70-degree mark (that’s Fahrenheit – not Celsius!!) – the DD and I donned our bathing suits and waded in … (while Vicki just relaxed in the room).

Fortunately, the pool was heated, with the water temperature about 80-degrees … so it wasn’t tooo bad (right!!) … While Danielle jumped right in and had a blast, I slowly – verrry slowly – waded into the water up to about mid-thigh level … and stopped – that was about as far as my mind (and body) were going to let me go …

After about 5 minutes, another crazy dad who had also promised his kids showed up, and we commiserated with one another …

Even Danielle could only take so much, and despite her love of the pool, her enthusiasm for swimming waned as her skin color progressed from pink to blue … So after about 15 minutes I wrapped her up in a towel and we walked the 100 feet-or-so to our room …

My back was feeling – surprisingly – good. After drying off and changing, we decided to do some more exploring of the AKL.

But while getting ready to leave the room, I simply turned to say something to Danielle, and - POP!! Not good – in fact, worse than ever … !! It felt like I had strained every muscle in my lower back!! And all I had done was move!!

But I could walk – so I took some aspirin, and off we went – though a bit slower than normal …

… and after about half-an-hour roaming the AKL – surprisingly - by 10:00 am, we were ready to jump on a bus to DHS. Particularly Vicki, who was itchin’ to take a ride with Aerosmith … while Danielle and I were looking forward to Playhouse Disney Live!

One of the things I had decided it might be fun to start with Danielle this trip was pin trading – inspired in part by a big sale of lanyard/pin starter sets I had stumbled upon at my favorite Disney Outlet store. I had bought 3 or 4 of the sets (a lanyard with two Mickey pins) for about $3.00 each. In hindsight, considering the pin-trading “monster” I would soon create, I should have bought a few (in other words – A LOT!) more of those starter sets!

Before heading out I gave Danielle one of her sets – with two (and only two!!) Mickey pins (figuring that would be enough for the day … and told her what little I knew about pin trading (which wasn’t much …)

And lo and behold, her Mickey pins caught the eye of a boy sitting across from us on the bus to DHS – who wanted to trade his Tinker Bell pin for one of Danielle’s Mickey pins. Now, this was one of those Tink pins that the CMs give out to kids – not one you could buy (I know THAT much …) – but despite my explaining how “magical” his Tinker Bell pin was, he had no interest in it (and his mother backed him up) – so he willingly traded it for one of Danielle’s Mickey pins … And my DD’s pin trading odyssey was off to a rousing start!! (And, needless to say, she was VERY happy to get a Tink pin!!)

We arrived at DHS around 10:30:

[Notice the clouds in this picture? – and remember, about an hour earlier I had been swimming!!]

And as we made our way up Hollywood Boulevard, to my chagrin a CM told us to move off to the side of the street, because the High School Musical 3 parade/float was heading our way any minute. Frankly, I didn’t have any interest in watching this – but Vicki put the timing down to divine providence – and Danielle got excited (yes – despite being only 5 years old, she’s a HSM fan … although we haven’t seen HSM3 yet) – so I tried to position us to get a good spot after the float got into position for the show. I was hoping to get in the front row – where Danielle would have a chance to get picked to join the fun – but had no such luck. But we did have good “seats” …

I must admit it was a fun show and got our day off to a rousing start – and it gave me the opportunity to sit and rest my back a bit, too …

After the show Vicki took off to get a Fastpass for the “Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster”, and Danielle and I headed into the Animation Courtyard … where we found JoJo and Goliath holding court. So we got in line … but just before it was our turn, the clown and lion were replaced by – Handy Manny! - which was nice, because Danielle doesn’t watch JoJo much any more, but loves Manny!! (BTW – when is he gonna make a move on Kelly?!?)

We then got in the Playhouse Disney Live line, and waited for Vicki to arrive … and waited … and waited … and my DW finally showed up with about a minute to spare (but smiling – cuz she had her FP …)

This was a new and different show than the one we’d seen in May 2007 – and even though I missed Bear in the House of Blue(s) – as I called him … the new show is a lot of fun!!

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/g...=Playhouse.flv

We then strode across the courtyard for Voyage of the Little Mermaid – another one of Vicki and my favorites – although Danielle didn’t seem to like it all that much this time.

At some point we ran into a CM wearing a bunch of pins, and Danielle spotted a Toddler Cinderella pin, and there went her second Mickey pin – and her pin trading passion was now born: she had to get every Toddler Princess pin!!

It was now time for lunch, so we made our way down Hollywood Blvd. and hung a left onto Sunset Blvd. – and ran into this little holiday spectacle … songfest … “talent” show …

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/g...ent=12Days.flv

Unfortunately, my videocamera tape ran out about 15 seconds before the grand finale – I would have been fine, but certain of the performers kept on draaaaaaaaging out their parts …

Lunch at was Catalina Eddies and Rosie’s All-American – I had a hamburger and fries (good and filling), Vicki the Italian sub-thingy (very good she said – and big!), and Danielle probably had – surprise!! – chicken nuggets/fingers/sticks/etc. Decent food and a nice outdoor location, with a covered seating area, fixin’s bar, and views of the street life on Sunset Blvd.

After eating, it was time for Vicki to put her “Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster” FP to use (that was a case of bad timing …)

… and Danielle and I headed to the pin store under Mickey’s Sorcerer’s Hat in search of more Toddler Princess pins …

Since we were now out of pins to trade, I purchased a “mystery” pack of two “Hidden Mickey” pins – the cheapest ones I could find at $10 – and we got silhouette footprints of Goofy and Minnie. Danielle didn’t give a hoot for the Goofy pin – so she quickly traded a CM that one for a Toddler Aurora pin – but she loved the Minnie pin and wanted to keep it … So her pin trading was done until we restocked with Mickey pins back at the AKL …

We then visited the Animation Academy and Sorcerer Mickey:

The queue for Mr. and Mrs. Incredible was a bit long – so after playing a few interactive games, we headed outside only to find two of Danielle’s favorite characters - June and Quincy!!

Vicki joined us with a smile on her face – she loved being chauffeured by Aerosmith (although – next time – she said she would go for a ride BEFORE lunch …). We retrieved Danielle’s stroller and strolled and rolled (but didn’t rock) over to the new “American Idol” attraction and got a spot in the shade for the “Block Party Bash” parade.

This was another fun show/parade, and Danielle got into it a bit:

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=MVI_7445.flv

I really got a kick out of “our” “Sarge” … and I can’t understand why some people don’t like this parade … (unless those are the same people who used to toss their Army Men into the BBQ grill …)

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/g...BlockParty.flv

In hindsight, we should have grabbed a spot in the circle by Mickey’s Sorcerer’s Hat – it seemed you’d be able to catch more of there parade acts in action there – but the tradeoff was standing in the hot sun … Can’t wait to catch it again on our next trip …

After that it was off and straight into MuppetVision3D (which is always a lot of fun!!). We stopped by Toy Story Mania along the way, but there was a 45 minute wait and all the FPs were gone – so it will have to wait until our next trip …

After a little shopping in the DHS Christmas store – It’s a Wonderful Shoppe” - and taking in some of the backlot “scenery”, we decided to do Star Tours (a first for us) – and walked right into our space craft. I had some reservations about this ride, with my back still letting me know it needed a “vacation” all its own … but it wasn’t a problem at all.

Danielle doesn’t know squat about Star Wars, and thought Star Tours was just OK (we agreed with her) … but she did like “riding” the Imperial whatchamacallit-bike-thingy …

We now had a decision to make – Fantasmic! or Osbourne lights? We choose Fantasmic!, with the hope that we would be able to make it back in time to catch the light show …

On our way back across DHS towards Fantasmic!, Vicki decided she wanted to see the Journey Into Narnia attraction (Prince Caspian had nothing to do with it, so she said …), so I took Danielle back to the Animation Academy – where we ran into the cast of Bolt!!

… and played a few more games … And I must say I really enjoyed the time we spent in the Animation Academy and it will be a priority for our next visit. It is a great place to meet lots of Characters, has interactive games for the kids, and I’m sure Danielle (and Vicki!) will like the “learning to draw” part of this attraction. We’ll be back …

It was now about 5:15 – and with Fantasmic! scheduled for 6:00, we hurried over to the amphitheatre … where we found all the people who had not been in the rest of the park …

It was about 5:45, and it looked like the only available seats were far off to the sides – but I took a chance and walked straight down into the Mickey section – and we found a great spot center stage about 10 rows up, and next to a family with two boys about Danielle’s age. The three kids played (bubbles!!) and I sat (yes!) and rested my back until Fantasmic! started about 6:15 … and I actually managed to videotape the whole show …

And I finally watched it the other night – and it came out pretty good … (but I’m not going to post any of it here … maybe as part of the trip “Highlights?” …)

This is a great show, we REALLY like it, and Danielle isn’t bothered at all by the simulated violence or the fire-breathing dragon (she’s into that fantasy-stuff …)

We joined the crowd, and after picking up Danielle’s stroller, made our back across the DHS to the Osborne Lights – only to find them turned off … bummer!! But that was OK –

It was a little after 7:00, and as the cheerleaders started to take over the park for their party, we slowly made our way back to the entrance … in a relaxing and roundabout way … checking out all the Christmas decorations … and stopping for a Photopass photographer …

After a short wait for the bus and a short ride, we were back at the AKL … and stopped by The Mara for dinner.

Back in the room I took some more aspirin, filled a plastic bag with ice, wrapped it in a towel, and lay down with it on my back … only to wake up about 2 hours later – shivering!! But my back did feel a lot better …

Next up: Day 6 – Breakfast at Norway, Rain(!!!), and the Candlelight Processional.

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14

Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #287
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Great update Joel!! I'm sorry to hear about your back, though!! You were brave to take Danielle into the pool, we had good intentions but it was never really warm enough that week, one day, but we missed it. You got some great pics of Danielle with the characters, I never seem to see the characters at HS!! So good job!! Laughed outloud about your comment about Handy Manny and Kelly!!! I agree!!!! We turned our boys into Pin collecting fools the week we were there, too, doesn't it kill you when they trade the pin you loved or spent a boat load of money on?!! I had to just keep telling myself, they are happy, it's okay...lol!! Looking forward to hearing the rest!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2009, 04:45 AM   #288
joelp
DIS Veteran

We take a momentary break from the TR to announce that today is Danielle's first, official

SNOW DAY!!!

About 8 inches on the ground and more to come!!

(Now that's something you can't get in WDW ... )

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;

Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #289
NYPDwife
DIS Veteran

SNOW-SCHMO!!

I'm working and DH & the kids are probably making snow angels!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #290
joelp
DIS Veteran

Not if you guys got as much as we did!! ... Way too deep for snow angels - maybe snow fish!!

... about a foot -with some 2-foot drifts ...

Just got in from shoveling ... nap time!!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #291
BKMETV
DIS Veteran

I'm just glad someone else is getting the snow for a change.

- Me - DH - DS 14 - DD 12

Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #292
morgtroy
Mouseketeer

Wow

Hey, sorry to come in so late. I haven't even seen your TR. I haven't had much DIS time lately. Wow, you got some really great pics. I'm loving all your info on AKL. I can't wait to try it out. Looks beautiful. I've really appreciated your tips on my TR, very helpful.

Speaking of beautiful, your daughter is so pretty. Those eyes! My DD has dark hair and dark eyes, but is older now So enjoy every second. Great pics of your family. Christmas was super in the world, I really want to go back during the holidays sometime. But I don't think we'll do MVMCP again, way too crowded.
Look forward to reading more

Sept 2005 All Star Movies, Sept 2007 Pop Century, Dec 2008 Saratoga Springs (Christmas Trip), March 2009 AKL & OKW, Dec. 2009 OKW, June 2010 Wilderness Lodge, March 2011 Disney Dream & Wilderness Lodge, Feb. 2012 AKL

DM DH DD 14 DS 11

This princess runs!
Training for Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 AM   #293
joelp
DIS Veteran

The next day of the TR is all ready to go - I just need to find the rime to post it ...

So stay tuned!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #294
joelp
DIS Veteran

And awaaaaay we go ... (OK - I'm dating myself there ... and if you don't know the reference ... )

Day 6 – Dec 11: “Rain, Rain , Go Away … And It Did!”

We did not sleep in this morning …

After a very pleasant and relaxing day at DHS, a nice dinner at The Mara, some ice and aspirin for my back, and a good night’s sleep – we were all up by 6:00 am and getting ready for breakfast with the Princesses at Akershus, in Norway – in the World Showcase at Epcot … at 8:15 (more or less …)

Unfortunately, the weather prognosticators actually got it right – it was cool, cloudy and sprinkling a bit as we headed out to Epcot – with more of the wet stuff heading our way later in the morning.

And by the time we got to Epcot, it was lightly raining off and on. But that didn’t dampen our spirits … because we were gonna see some Princesses!!

Breakfast was very nice and we thoroughly enjoyed it – stuffing ourselves in the process. Although not as “magical” or impressive a setting as Cinderella’s Castle, the Princesses at Akershus seemed more friendly, relaxed, and into their Characters than those at CRT … So breakfast at Akershus will be on our “to do” list for our next trip.

By the time we finished breakfast the rain had picked up a head of steam. We had planned to ride Test Track, but it was not running because of the weather … So it was off to Ellen’s Universe of Energy (a first for us). We had about a 10 minute wait for the doors to open – and we spent it under an umbrella talking with a CM as the rain started to come down harder. She just happened to have a Toddler Belle pin that Danielle went crazy over (so say goodbye to another Mickey pin … only one left to trade!)

This was a nice attraction to be in with the rain coming down (i.e. warm and dry!) – and we all enjoyed it, although I’m not sure Danielle got all of Ellen’s jokes. But our DD did think the Dinosaurs were pretty cool … and she may have learned a thing or two, too!! (Well – maybe three things …)

By the time we got out of Ellen’s “dream” the steady rain had turned into something approaching a downpour – so we made a dash for Innoventions!

The attractions in this area of Innoventions weren’t particularly enthralling, and since it was now after 11:00 am, we decided to make a (yet another) dash for the WS and Mexico … but just as we crossed the International Gateway, the sky opened up and it started to POUR!! – so we ducked into a conveniently located shop.

We were soaked through – and although this was not the morning we had planned, we were still having a pretty good time. Unfortunately, at this point Danielle – who had been “playing” with her Toddler Princess pins – noticed that her new Toddler Belle pin was missing and started getting cranky … and Vicki’s feet had developed a few new blisters because of her wet shoes. On the bright side, my back was feeling fine …

There was really nothing to do about the missing Toddler Belle pin, Vicki’s sore feet, or our wet clothes (my wind shell was useless at this point!) … After about 15 minutes of dripping all over the store, the rain had slowed down a bit and we made yet another (another?) dash for Mexico …

… which I must say is a GREAT place to be stuck on a rainy, miserable, cold, windy, and generally yucky day … !

We spent about an hour and half in Mexico, taking in just about everything this country had to showcase: Animales Fantasticos (I was kicking myself for not buying anything our last trip – but nothing really “grabbed” me this time – well, nothing that cost less than a couple hundred dollars, that is …) … La Gran Fiesta Tour (twice – we had “technical difficulties” one time and got stuck – not as bad as being stuck on iasm … but close! And Danielle really liked this attraction …) … the Kidcot Station (including sending a video postcard back home …) … Mariachi Cobre came out (or rather – stayed in) and performed … shopping (Vicki picked up some nice things for Danielle – and I kept Danielle from picking things up!) … and the Arribas Brother glass-blowing shop.

[/IMG]

Danielle particularly liked the glass blowing - and I had to hold her for about 10 minutes so she could take in the “show” … (and as a bonus, Mariachi Cobre is providing the “soundtrack” to the video …)

The sun finally decided to make a fight of it (well – at least it stopped raining), so we said a fond and thankful goodbye to Mexico and strolled over to Norway – without the stroller because, despite being covered, it was filled with water … but we were considerably drier and warmer after our visit to Mexico (of course … !).

We checked out the Viking display in the Stave Church … walked onto Maelstrom – which was fun, but Danielle was a bit scared by the ride (it was her first face-to-face encounter with some trolls) … Watched the movie (Danielle loves movies!) … Hit the Kidcot station … And did a bit of shopping.

Despite our big breakfast, all of our running around had made us a bit hungry. So after checking out the Kringla Bakeri and Café and finding nothing on the menu that was “interesting”, we headed back to Mexico and had lunch at the Cantina de San Angel. This is a nice outdoor setting (with a little help from a CM and the towel he was using to dry off the tables and chairs) and the food is pretty good – and the day started to turned warm and barely partly sunny as we enjoyed our lunch.

At this point, Vicki decided she needed a break to head back to the AKL and tend to her feet and get a different pair of (dry) shoes – but the DD and I were still going strong and decided it was time for a “Daddy and Danielle” day in Epcot! We escorted Vicki back into FutureWorld, then peeled off on our own in search of Characters!!

While searching for the Disney Visa photo shoot-thingy, we bumped into Chip ‘n’ Dale, who were a lot of fun … and a Photopass Photographer told us that Snow White & Dopey would be along in a few minutes …

We finally got good directions to the Disney Visa photo-thingy – but the line was long and there were too many distractions for a DD-5 in this part of Innoventions – so we skipped it and learned about Fire Safety and did the Kidcot Station …

And then we headed back into the WS – stopping for a Mickey Bar along the way!! –

I wish it was this sunny – (this is just a nice picture, so I threw it in!!)

… for another visit to the Canada Kidcot Station and a bit of music by “Off Kilter”.

[/IMG]

Unfortunately, Danielle did not share my appreciation of “Celtic Rock” … so after a few minutes we moseyed up the way to the United Kingdom …

… where we visited the Toy Shoppe and the Kidcot Station … and stumbled upon Mary Poppins!! Danielle was somewhat embarrassed by my reaction to spotting Mary Poppins!! … but it’s something she’s just going to have to learn to live with when we visit WDW!!

[/IMG]

It was then off to France, where we saw Princess Aurora “holding court”. This is (currently) Danielle’s favorite Princess, so she was overjoyed to see her again … and it was the same Princess from our breakfast at Akershus … and she remembered Danielle from earlier that morning!! … AND she then spent a lot of time talking with my DD. So this was a very special visit and Danielle was floating on Cloud Nine …

AND THEN Aurora knelt down and gave Danielle a kiss on her cheek!! – and you could just see the glow on my DD’s face!!! Truly a Magical Moment!!

It was now time for the France “Holiday Storyteller” Pere Noel … and Vicki also called to say she was back in Epcot … and where were we? (I told her riding Mission:Space … kidding!!)

Although Pere Noel was dressed in red and white, he didn’t resemble the Santa that Danielle is familiar with (tall and thin versus …), so she had no need to tell him what was on her Christmas list …

[/IMG]

Vicki joined us (after a detour to Mission:Space … kidding, again!!), and we tried to explain to Danielle why this crazy guy was standing on a tall stack of chairs telling silly jokes (“Servier Amusant”) … but she didn’t quite get it. We then strolled around France a bit – Vicki shopping while I took Danielle to the Kidcot Station.

We then made a short visit to Morocco (and its Kidcot Station), before heading over to Japan for our dinner ADR at Tappan Edo. The Japan “Holiday Storyteller” started her show – but about two minutes into it Danielle said (do I need to repeat it here?!?) – so we hustled off to the restaurant (to find a bathroom …).

We had selected Tappan Edo for our Candlelight Processional Package for a number of reasons – not the least of which was that Danielle tends to like Chinese and Japanese food (amazing!!) and our DD had a good time when we took her to a hibachi restaurant at home. And with a sigh of relief, she settled right into her seat with a big smile …

The food was very good and the service – simply incredible!! I think we had around seven “waiters/waitresses” (I lost count!!) – each with a particular job as the meal progressed. They seemed to know what we needed before we did (No – I did no ask for catsup!) And of course hibachi is always a lot of fun, as you can probably tell …

And for once, Danielle did not have chicken nuggets for dinner!!

I’m also glad we were on the DDP – the bill came to around $160 – but only “cost” us three TS Credits – that was a bargain!!

After dinner, we strolled downstairs into the department store for a little shopping (again – mostly looking …) but also for Danielle to pick an oyster and get her first “real” piece of jewelry – a pearl pendant from WDW!

Danielle had a lot fun doing this (and probably learned something, too …) – and for about $50 she got a GREAT souvenir of her Christmas Adventure in WDW!

We didn’t have nearly enough time to spend in Japan – so we’ll have to put a visit to his country on our “priority list” for our next trip – because it was time to head over to the Candlelight Processional!

The dinner package gives you a “reserved seat” – but the “reserved seat” line was looong – and we were literally at the end of it, even though the show didn’t start for about half-an-hour!! So I was worried!!

But – much like what happened at Fantasmic! the previous night, by doing a little searching we managed to find decent seats next to a family with some kids (I guess people tend to avoid sitting next to families with kids!! – unless they have kids …) … and out came the bubbles!! (“Bubbles – don’t leave home with them!!”)

This was the first time Danielle had seen an orchestra and a chorus – and she was enthralled!! Marlee Matlin was the “guest speaker” – but she signed while her “interpreter” did the voice over. Vicki didn’t know much (anything!!) about the CP, so she was surprised by it and thought it was wonderful.

About halfway through the performance Danielle crawled onto my lap, looked up at me, and said in a somewhat disappointed voice: “Daddy, my eyes are getting heavy.”

And I told her it was all right to go to sleep – and that’s what she did …

After the CP I carried her back to Japan to get our stroller … and then we headed back in the direction of France to get a spot for Illuminations on the nearby bridge/landing area that Vicki thought might have a good view … It turned out to be OK (so we still haven’t found a great spot to watch Illuminations …) … and Danielle slept through the whole show – again!!

OK - this video is the special "epilogue" to the Holiday version of Illuminations ... it doesn't really do it justice, but for those of who who haven't seen it ... or won't see it for a while ...

[/IMG]

A little more shopping on the way out of Epcot … and then back to the AKL …

It had been a long day – and I still hadn’t seen all the stuff in Epcot I wanted to!! – but despite the rain, we had a great time …

Only two more days to go – and Danielle has yet to put on pajamas!!

Next up: Day 7 – December 12: - Animal Kingdom

Old 03-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #295
joelp
DIS Veteran

Hey guys and gals!!

Haven't forgotten about you - just been busy (or tired - or not up to fighting the DW or DD for computer time ... )

Anyway - I'll have to wrap this TR up soon - because I need to start a PTR!!

Took advantage of the free DDP offer and just booked a trip for my birthday in September ...

Guess I need to revise my siggie, too ...

... and start counting down ... ...

cuz in less than 6 months I'll be back in WDW!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #296
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Yay for September trips!! I'm going again then, too!! Hoping for FD on Monday!! Would love to hear the rest of your TR though!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #297
LD NURSE
Mouseketeer

Don't leave us hanging!!!1

I just found your trip report, and have thouroughly enjoyed it. We'll be going on Land/Sea trip Dec 6-13 2009, so, I've really apprectiated all the info about the weather and crowds. Your daughter is so fun to watch. That is just a perfect age at WDW. What am I saying? any age is perfect!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #298
joelp
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't do that!!

Day 7 – Dec 12: Part I - “Hakuna Matata”

Friday morning broke somewhat clear and partly sunny, and a tad on the chilly side – most of the rain and clouds were all gone … (the only clouds I noticed circling about were the thoughts that tomorrow would be our last day at WDW …)

We were up early (of course!) and after a quick breakfast at The Mara, jumped on the bus for the short (5 minute) ride to the Animal Kingdom.

Once through the turnstiles we were “greeted” by a CM holding a tray of – poop! Yep – three piles of poop – small, medium, and large … And the question of the day was “Which pile of poop was made by a rhinocerous?” And the answer was pretty darn obvious (hint: it wasn’t the small or medium piles of poop …)

And the tray of poop also explained why most of the visitors to the park were taking a wide detour around the CM … (but not us … )

And after that rousing start to our visit, it was off to Discovery Island for the AK “opening ceremony” – also known as “The Adventure Begins” (although – technically – our adventure had already begun – with three piles of poop!)

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/g...090327-002.flv

After the ceremony – while everyone else made a dash for KS, EE, etc. … we took a leisurely stroll and checked out some of the Discovery Island habitats on our way to Camp Minnie-Mickey for “Festival of the Lion King”. The first show doesn’t start until around 9:30-ish – and it’s always been sparsely attended – but Vicki was all fired up to get a good seat. So she hurried ahead to get in line – while Danielle and took it easy and chatted up Pocohontas:

After visiting with Pocohontas we strolled up the walkway and joined Vicki and the other 20-or-so people waiting in line for the FotLK doors to open (Hint: you REALLY don’t have to rush to get great seats to the first FotLK show of the day …)

By the time the show started, there were maybe a hundred of us in the stands – a hundred very smart people who know how to start their day at the AK – because FotLK really gets you in the mood for this park! And the fact that it is a GREAT show is just a bonus … !!

After FotLK it was time to meet some Characters! – who are just a short walk away … and again, with minimal lines, because just about everyone else was … elsewhere …

First up was Minnie – a big favorite of our DD – especially since dinner at Chef Mickey’s our first night at WDW:

Followed by Mickey – not a particularly big favorite of Danielle (why? – I don’t know …):

And finally – Goofy!!

(make that two “Goofys” …)

Vicki also found out that Daisy (another of Danielle’s favorites – who she had yet to meet) would supposedly be coming out for a visit at around [I forget what time – but it was before “lunch”] … so we made plans to adjust our plans to head back to Camp Minnie-Mickey and meet with Daisy …

And with that – we were off to Africa (watching where we stepped along the way …) … with a stop for our first Discovery Kid’s Club area … where Danielle had to reach into wholes in a log and guess what was inside without looking … (fortunately, there was no rhino poop!).

We hadn’t spent much time at all in Africa our last trip (because it started to rain!!), so we had plans to spend a lot of time there this trip.

Right off the bat, we ran into a jam session with Professor Muzicki…

And after grabbing FPs for KS, we headed into the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. Along the way we ran into a CM running another one of the Kids Discovery Club exhibitions – which just happened to include a question about animal poop! Specifically – rhinoceros poop. And Danielle – of course – was on top of all things poop-wise and was the star of the class (well, she was the only kid in the class … but she still knew her rhinoceros poop cold! … or steaming …)

The trail was really interesting with lots of cool things to see, including meerkats and gorillas:

And then we put our FPs to use and took a safaris. This was a pleasant trip, and we saw quite a few critters …

… but no rhinocerous poop …

Speaking of which – it was that time of day [I forget when … but we hadn’t had lunch yet] to head back to Camp Minnie-Mickey and meet Daisy … which we did – and didn’t – meet Daisy, that is … she was nowhere to be found. And a disappointed Danielle had to ‘settle” for Chip ‘n’ Dale …

It was now time for lunch – so we made our way over to Flame Tree BBQ!! Vicki wanted to split a half rack of ribs with me - but I wasn’t having any of that (we had had that discussion during our last trip). She and Danielle went off to find a table under the pavilion over the river … while I placed our order and then watched as the CM tried to fit it all onto one tray … and then I had to get utensils, napkins (lots of those!!), etc. while balancing about 20 pounds of food and drink …

Despite Vicki’s protestations that she couldn’t possibly eat all that food – she did, and I did, and Danielle did … with some help from the various species of birds hanging out very close to out table – so meet our fine-feathered friend – “Fred” …

The birds weren’t a bother – they were just close – which is pretty cool … (and we’re used to a begging dog at the table anyway …)

Danielle needed a good hosing down after lunch – so Vicki took her to the restroom while I grabbed a seat on a bench and watched the “Village Beatniks” perform.

From there it was just a short stroll into Dinoland USA – another part of the Animal Kingdom we had “neglected” during our last trip. Danielle wanted to go play in “The Boneyard”, so Vicki and I decided to play tag-team watching her while the other went to check out some “Dinosaurs” …

http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/g...090327-004.flv

Vicki thought “Dinosaur” was pretty good – but by the time it was my turn, the line had gotten a bit long and I didn’t think I’d have time to do it and catch a good spot to watch the parade …

So I just strolled around a bit with my camera and then headed back to “The Boneyard” to retrieve the DW and DD. The three of us then strolled around Dinoland USA, and Danielle played a couple of the arcade games, winning a very cute stuffed alligator/crocodile (you’ll see a picture of it in a bit …) ...

Well - in Part II ... "I Love a Parade!!"

(as long as there's no poop ... )

Old 03-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #299
joelp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
Yay for September trips!! I'm going again then, too!! Hoping for FD on Monday!! Would love to hear the rest of your TR though!!!
We'll be there from Sep 17-21 ... (although if a good deal comes up for my daughter's birthday in November, I may just switch: better weather and the Food and Wine Festival ...)

Good luck tomorrow!!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #300
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Great update, Joel! Too funny about the Rhino poop!My boys would have loved that (why do boys love to talk/see poop??)!!

Sorry to hear that Danielle didn't get to meet Daisy! That's a shame but you still got some adorable pics of her with the characters!

I wanted to try Flame Tree when we were there but the line was too long and we had to get to KS, what did you think? The ribs looked good and good for Vicki finishing her own share! You sound like my DH, there is NO way I can not have my own meal or dessert..whatever I don't finish, he'll happily polish off for me...what a great guy!!

Btw, got FD this a.m. !! WOOHOO!!!

Looking forward to hearing the rest.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: