Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
kimiza
Single Mom Even more of a disney kid than my daughter

1st Pre Trip report, I just can't stop myself!

HI Everyone,

I am leaving for Disney April 17th and I can't stop reading the DIS. So I figured it is only fair if I start a pre trip report.

The lucky ones who get to go.

Me - Kim I am the mom, I am a Disney Freak, and slowly I am beginning to turn my family one by one. I went for the first time when I was in 3rd grade we stayed at the Poly and Fort Wilderness, then 8th grade- we stayed off site, then senior year stayed at Poly, 1 year after that stayed off site (when castle looked like a birthday cake) , but my brother worked there so we got in for free, went again 2 years later stayed at all star sports, went in 2005 stayed off site, and finally did Land and Sea in October 2008 stayed at Caribbean Beach.

DD - My 8 year old daughter - has no clue we are going. I have told her that we are going on a road trip (that is right we are driving from Rochester, NY) The only hint I gave her It begins with a "P" and ends with a "T" ( we are staying at the "P"OP Century Resor"T". I know it is cruel.

DN - My 14 year old niece. She is just as excited as I am to go! She does know, had to be able to talk to someone about the trip!

The Plan:
Leave Rochester by 4 and head to Charlotte, NC to stay with my Dad. Then on the road by 8am the next day and get to Disney by 6pm so we can ride Space Mountain before it closes for refurbishment!

Although I am beginning to rethink the time we start driving, I am thinking of grabbing the girls out of school by noon to go.

Staying at the Pop Century with the DDP (First time DDP)

ADRs - Whispering Canyon Sunday, Chef Mickey Monday, Le Cellier Tuesday, PrimeTime Cafe Wednesday, Kona Thursday.

Ok done for now, have to get back to work!!!

Disney World - Jun 1985(Fort Wilderness), Jun 1990(off site), October 1994(Polynesian), April 1995(off site), June 1997(All Star sports), June 2005 (off site), Oct 2008 Land/Sea (Caribbean Beach), April 2009 (Pop Century) April 2013 (Double tree downtown Disney) Future Trip Oct 2014 (All Star Music)
MY 1st PTR
MY 1st TRIP REPORT
Old 03-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
kimiza

no takers yet huh.. ok well another debate I am having..

How do I tell DD that we are going to disney? I know I don't want to tell her until the day we leave. I have thought about creating a hang man for her to do. My DN does not want me to tell her at all, which I think is horrible.. Any thoughts?

Disney World - Jun 1985(Fort Wilderness), Jun 1990(off site), October 1994(Polynesian), April 1995(off site), June 1997(All Star sports), June 2005 (off site), Oct 2008 Land/Sea (Caribbean Beach), April 2009 (Pop Century) April 2013 (Double tree downtown Disney) Future Trip Oct 2014 (All Star Music)
MY 1st PTR
MY 1st TRIP REPORT
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
kimiza

Still just me huh?

Well I am happy to say that it is 25 days until we start our road trip, and I started packing! I can't wait to get there. Everyday at work I just count to ten and think, "I am going to Disney, I am going to Disney" and all is right with the world again!

MY 1st PTR
MY 1st TRIP REPORT
Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
kimiza

OK 24 days, and my niece sent me a picture of herself in her bathing suit with the tag line "Just pretending it is spring break at Disney!" I was dying. I love that she is 14 and still just as excited to go on this trip as I am.

Looks like we are changing plans again. I talked to my brother today and got the ok to Take DN out of school early on that Friday. I am glad that way we will make it to Charlotte before midnight that first night!

On the first night we get there Saturday the 18th I am hoping to make it to Space Mountain and the People Mover, but I figured we would eat first, any ideas? I was thinking Beaches N Cream but I am worried it will take to long. Maybe just a QS at the park. Don't know yet.

MY 1st PTR
MY 1st TRIP REPORT
Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
foxeh
Earning My Ears

lol

Isnt it great I am once again a kid we are surprising our 7 year old too. Its unreal how many parents do this wow. We were going to drive but 30 hrs makes for unhappy campers. So we got a great deal and are flying sooooo I told her we are taking daddy away for his birthday for the weekend we have to dress nice and leave early and we wont tell him and we wont decide where we are going till we get in the car. My plan is to give her a special crossword puzzle that has all the hidden clues at the coffee shop before we hit the airport. This is killing me not blurting it out 5 weeks 1 day woo hoo!!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
kimiza

I know what you mean.. I have had this booked since end of January, and I am not one for keeping secrets! I was also considering wrapping up clues and every 100 miles have her open a box. heck there are times when she is so cute and sweet that I just want to blurt it out! But I have been good so far.

MY 1st PTR
MY 1st TRIP REPORT
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Baby Sesame
Earning My Ears

I love your idea of a hint every 100 miles. For me, the anticipation of a trip itself is such a joy that I would want to know and and help mommy plan things. But then again I'm not 8 and I don't know which kids enjoy more: anticipation and planning or surprises... Let us know what u decide, I love reading about kids' responses to surprises for WDW!!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
kimiza

Ok I started buying little gifts that I can give the girls as we are driving, for DN they will just be generic gifts, I got her a disposable camera and the movie "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" so far. For DD I just got her a disposable camera, but that will be her first present when she gets in the car. I am thinking about maybe getting a disney movie for her second gift. And then maybe a Fancy marker for autographs for the next one. Any more ideas for small gifts I can use for hints. I was thinking of suntan lotion.

MY 1st PTR
MY 1st TRIP REPORT
Old 03-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
Crisgw
YES WE CAN and YES WE DID!!!

I'm also a "KOTS" and planning a secret trip...still struggling at the when/where/how to tell our boys!

I'm in for your PTR
DS -1/2005
DS -5/2010

Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
kimiza

Thanks for joining my ptr.... Hopefully I will keep it interesting!

So I thought of another gift, maybe a purse that they can keep their camera's and money in... hmm, decisions, decisions

MY 1st PTR
MY 1st TRIP REPORT
Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
Baby Sesame
Earning My Ears

If you're thinking about getting your daughter a disney movie, "Tinkerbell" is really cute...
Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
kimiza

thanks, tinkerbell would be perfect, I was also thinking about Lilo and Stitch, I heard they are releasing a speciall DVD for it, and my DD ruined the first one I got her when it first came out.

I also did more shopping yesterday. I got them each a small journal. I got DD some Tinkerbell pencils and a princess doodle thing.

22 more days!!!!!!

MY 1st PTR
MY 1st TRIP REPORT
Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
summermac
DIS Veteran

OOh, a surprise trip!!

I think I'd tell your daughter in some cute way (I like the hangman idea) while you're eating lunch or dinner on the way down. Then after the hangman thing, I'd present her with a super cool new book about Disney & tons of pamphlets that she can look through on the drive. I always loved looking at books when I was a kid while we were roadtripping.

Awesome ADRs! What's your park plans?
Jun 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2001 - offsite
May 1998 - All Star Music
Old 03-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
kimiza

Welcome summermac.

Great ideas. Actually I heard there was a Disney World book for kids, so I think I am going to pick a copy for my DN and DD to check out while we are driving too!

Park plans are.. at least so far.

Saturday: Magic Kingdom - need to get on Space Mountain and the People Mover before they shut it down!

Sunday: Back to Magic Kingdom to do it right!

Monday: Animal Kingdom

Tuesday: Epcot

Wednesday: Disney Studios

Thursday: I am leaving up to girls, we will need to be on the road by 2 or 3 so I am leaving it up to them!

MY 1st PTR
MY 1st TRIP REPORT
Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
summermac
DIS Veteran

Birnbaum's for kids is a neat one. I looked through it when I was at the bookstore letting the kids play with the trains one day.
Jun 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2001 - offsite
May 1998 - All Star Music

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: